How does one define a whale?

Prev13
Just curious since I've been seeing all this aquatic terminology being tossed around, while not having much of a concept of what constitutes "whale-ness". Or "dolphin-ness", for that matter. Wondering what the general consensus is for (a) MinnowsGuppies, (b) Dolphins, (c) Whales and (d) Krakens.

Off the top of my head thinking whales are those who spend at least $1000/month on the game, with krakens doing possibly five or ten times that. Thinking that the distinction lies in the ability to purchase chromiums indiscriminately to star up characters, which does not pay back well unless you've bought a ton of chromium 8-packs (and even then), and that is likely something you can't do unless you've bought ten vaults of crystals each month (about 60 mega-packs).

Replies

• I've spent a grand total in this game of around $500 and I'm considered a whale. Hope that puts things into perspective.
  • $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ winnnnner!
  • Whales basically buy 20 chromiums every new character release. They have every character maxed to 7 except Vader.

Dolphins will occasionally buy chromium or crystals for refreshes.
  • I've spent a grand total in this game of around $500 and I'm considered a whale. Hope that puts things into perspective.

Thanks, that does clarify the definition a bit. What did you end up spending the $500 worth of crystals on?

I ask because I tossed over $100 into the game a few weeks ago to deal with the unobtainable gear issue. Haven't bought chromiums still, but I did purchase a few furnaces and some other gear from the shop and almost half my investment is gone now...

• The Kracken in our guild just bought enough packs to max Echo today
  • Drew_Fornier
    185 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Whales basically buy 20 chromiums every new character release. They have every character maxed to 7 except Vader.

Dolphins will occasionally buy chromium or crystals for refreshes.

20 chromium mega-packs (I'm assuming you mean mega-packs) translates into around $350. Seems like a wide swath between that and spending a total of $500. Guess there are classes of whales (beluga, humpback, blue) that I should be considering?

Edited: haha the whale type that rhymes with "germ" got censored. Gosh.

Thanks, that does clarify the definition a bit. What did you end up spending the $500 worth of crystals on?

I ask because I tossed over $100 into the game a few weeks ago to deal with the unobtainable gear issue. Haven't bought chromiums still, but I did purchase a few furnaces and some other gear from the shop and almost half my investment is gone now...

No $500 is a dolphin. You gotta own near every character to be a whale. $500 may have you end up with simply a 4* Aalya
  • A $500 whale is a little fish when a real whale shows up with 40 7* toons
  • Whale = a fat unemployed bloke slumped on a couch surrounded by pizza boxes furiously poking his pudgy fingers at his device whilst maxing out mummy's credit card.
    Think Ignatius J Reilly for new millennium.
  • ObranVox
    134 posts Member
    I heard you're a whale once your wife yells at you for spending too much money on "a stupid star wars game".
  • If you are a kid a whale is someone who has spent over $100 on the game but if you are a grown adult a whale is someone who has pretty much unlocked and maxed out everything.
  • Finn
    111 posts Member
    I have new defenation when level 50 have 58 toons including aurodorum toons or what ever they are called that's a whale
  • Eleiem
    334 posts Member
    In this game you need to spend over 5 grands to be a whale, 1-4 grands makes you a dolphin. Over 10 grands makes you a Kraken.
    500 bucks makes you nothing but a tiny crustacean. Less than that you're just an insignificant Plankton.
  • Hellcat
    319 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I have spent a grand total of US$5 on the game, so I am essentially a f2p player.
    But I have the utmost appreciation for the p2p players especially the so-called whales.
    Before you f2p players display your mastery of sarcasm and complain about fairness and such, please be reminded that it's the p2p players who keep the servers running and the game updated. If the game doesn't pull in money you would think the developers care to run it for another week.
    Just want to say that I sincerely think p2p players deserve every advantage (I would argue not enough) they enjoy in the game.
  • wrilley
    390 posts Member
    I would call $500 a tuna in this game. Source: I'm a tuna.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    I think I'm a seal in the sharktank that is the top 15 in my shard.
    Dodge keeps me there
  • Dizzle
    80 posts Member
    Eleiem wrote: »
    In this game you need to spend over 5 grands to be a whale, 1-4 grands makes you a dolphin. Over 10 grands makes you a Kraken.
    500 bucks makes you nothing but a tiny crustacean. Less than that you're just an insignificant Plankton.

Very nice sir.
  • 0-$500 - Normal Person

$500- $1000 - People with compulsive spending problems

$1000 - $Infinity - You have a problem, bro.
  • Rogan_Ban84
    1415 posts Member
    I've spent a grand total in this game of around $500 and I'm considered a whale. Hope that puts things into perspective.

No offence, but I don't think that even qualifies as a dolphin.
    $2500 and up is considered a whale, imo.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Its all a matter of perspective.
  • Von
    119 posts Member
    Hellcat wrote: »
    I have spent a grand total of US$5 on the game, so I am essentially a f2p player.
    But I have the utmost appreciation for the p2p players especially the so-called whales.
    Before you f2p players display your mastery of sarcasm and complain about fairness and such, please be reminded that it's the p2p players who keep the servers running and the game updated. If the game doesn't pull in money you would think the developers care to run it for another week.
    Just want to say that I sincerely think p2p players deserve every advantage (I would argue not enough) they enjoy in the game.

^ Truth has been told !
  • wrilley
    390 posts Member
    Timitock wrote: »
    Its all a matter of perspective.

Yeah. $500 would make you a whale in a lot of games, but not this one, not even close.
  • You people are.being conditioned. Games cost. $80us. Anybody who spends more than that is a whale in my book. Some of you are almost talking spending get $500 on a mobile game is like not worthy of being mentioned. Wow
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    A whale is anyone who is ranked higher than you, because every player knows they're the best player to ever play, so the only reason someone could beat them is by spending money.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    I have spent more on this game so far than I did on 7 years of subscription to SWG
  • Onetime7979
    1012 posts Member
    what does $ 1.49 make me
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    what does $ 1.49 make me
    A medium soda, depending on the restaurant.
  • Onetime7979
    1012 posts Member
    @NicWester

Haha , Maybe I am a pebble on the beach yet to enter the sea but I'm happy with my 10 7* Toons from what I spent XD
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Same. I don't know how much I've spent, though I know it's less than a hundred dollars. If I'm guessing, probably $75 since mid-February (scratch that, I forgot the Ewok bundles, which I bought because I like the WWF). I have a couple 7s, most of my guys are about 70 with gear 6 or 7, a couple 8s. It's not an insane collection, but it's mine!

My pride and joy is grinding out General Greivous the last couple weeks
  • wrilley
    390 posts Member
    what does $ 1.49 make me

A minnow.

I can't source it but it goes sort of like this: Kraken > Whale > Dolphin > Tuna > Minnow > f2p

Actual dollar amounts for those categories vary by game.