Just saw the movie

I can see how Kylo Ren gets his moves, but I have no clue how you fet from this movie to the Captain Phasma that we are playing with.

Replies

• Well.. There *is* the trash compactor thingy.
  • Well consider the hardest hitting single person in this game is a tie pilot. You shouldn't be surprised
  • BentWookie wrote: »
    Well.. There *is* the trash compactor thingy.

• Movie was awesome, stop complaining about captian phasm.
  • LORDLIZAMA wrote: »
    Movie was awesome, stop complaining about captian phasm.

Well, of course. It was meant to appeal to children. ;)

"Mockery: Oh, Master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for! But I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!"
  • @Pure_Pazaak Star wars has always been meant for children that's why you can't get the same nostalgia feels because we live in a different time. I'm 30 and I'm glad I never saw the OT in cinema. For some reason I think those people can enjoy the movies less or they just lost their inner child ;)
    I loved the new movie, I loved the OT on VHR and I think the prequels are avg but still part of an awesome saga.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Sorry, maybe I should elaborate. It's meant to appeal to children and teenagers of the current generation, just like the clone wars were meant to for my generation. I don't mean that you can't enjoy it regardless of your age, just it has less appeal to people with different values and the media they've been exposed to in their own time, like you said about the older fans of the first films. Personally, I don't like most of what comes out of modern cinematography, regardless of my generation. I'm not even a huge fan of the original films either, just that they seem a lot better in comparison to the later, higher budget films that have watered down scripts and less impactful character development (for the most part) as a cost for the high action and epic scale warfare. I never felt invested in Anakin's greatly overemphasized, slow and dull fall to the dark side. They made it really obvious, regardless of if you knew he was going to become Darth Vader or not. Now we apparently have the same thing again with Kylo, except he's already Darth Vader, Jr. and is struggling with the same old "Ooh-wee, I'm bad but I've got a good nature, why am I the only person who ever had to struggle with the duality of morality?". 2.0

Anyway, I know I'll never "win" the debate on why most modern film and animation-based media is inherently bad, since it's all subjective, but I will never quite get the appeal of these modern takes on classic franchises and specific titles within. Feels like a bit of a cash grab, but what isn't these days? Except for Mad Max and the Lord of the Rings, those were great. Obviously there are others, but most of the good films I've seen in recent years are original concepts or based on "true stories", like Twelve Years a Slave. I've heard Django Unchained is quite good as well, but then again, it's Tarantino. :p

Sorry for the long post. I was actually just poking fun at the other guy with what I was saying, but I figured it couldn't hurt to explain myself a bit in light of your reply.
    "Mockery: Oh, Master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for! But I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!"
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    @Pure_Pazaak
    Well you obviously have legit arguements and it's all based on personal preferences.
    I saw the new movie with it's flaws and enjoyed it nevertheless. I also think this movie has been played "safe". To me it's more of a transition movie in which J.J. tried to please the fans and newcomers to the genre. Especially the last part seemed to work well cause people that never saw a star wars movie liked this one.

About emo Ren, first time we see a character struggling with the light and the dark side. Fortunately they have 2 years to make this into a good story that's why I can't Judge episode VII yet without seeing VIII and IX. I think with the complete trilogy we have a lot better story and it might turn out to be great. Especially with some interesting theories out there, in which my favorite (ofcourse) the Darth Plagueis one. Only time will tell!
  • I hope phasma goes on a badass killing spree in the next movie. She was so under utilised. Even bb8 did more then her.
  • Jaqenhgar wrote: »
    I hope phasma goes on a badass killing spree in the next movie. She was so under utilised. Even bb8 did more then her.

Well if they put her in the trash compactor, we might not see anymore of Phasma :(
  • @Jaqen_Hghar
    The new book explained how she, general Hux and Kylo Ren survived the exploding planet :p
    Haven't read it but saw a youtube vid about someone explaining some background from the book.
    You would be amazed how much background Finn really has. Seems like he was always "different" through the eyes of his team. He always had trouble doing the right thing blabla.
    Apparently someone from his unit, who he was friends with, died in that first scene.
    Cut the octopuss Millenium Falcon scene and give Finn more background would have worked better imo.
  • CronozNL wrote: »
    @Jaqen_Hghar
    The new book explained how she, general Hux and Kylo Ren survived the exploding planet :p
    Haven't read it but saw a youtube vid about someone explaining some background from the book.
    You would be amazed how much background Finn really has. Seems like he was always "different" through the eyes of his team. He always had trouble doing the right thing blabla.
    Apparently someone from his unit, who he was friends with, died in that first scene.
    Cut the octopuss Millenium Falcon scene and give Finn more background would have worked better imo.

I really need to catch up on the back story. You know the name of the book?

• CronozNL wrote: »
    @Jaqen_Hghar

+1!
  • Severely disappointed with the movie. Rehashing of episode 4. Very predictable story. Graphics were awesome. And satisfied they didn't bring in a new jar jar binks. Worth a watch when it comes to redbox or netflix if you haven't seen it yet.
  • I guess the people that got disappointed really had too high expectations. Definately enjoyed the movie despite it's flaws or seemingly "plot holes" (term is being misused a lot). We have 2 more films in which we can get more background info and answers on questions we have. I also didn't mind the rehash of ANH. I see this as a transitional movie in which J.J. Abrams had to please the new crowd (people unfamiliar with SW) and the old hardcore crowd. Imo he succeeded pretty well over all and you can't please everyone in the end.
    Also with shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones or Walking dead (get's compared to those a lot) it's not easy to make an entire new believable story in 2+ hours where a show does it over seasons. Last thing what I think is that people who saw the OT and are disappointed by this movie, are having a nostalgic image of the year '77 which in todays world, we don't get back.

I remember the first LotR I saw in the cinema, wasn't familiar with the books and I had so many questions after the movie. Thing is with a trilogy that has already been written, you can search for some background info or answers to certain questions you have. In this case with a new trilogy you have to wait and see what the total story will be. That's why I think it's too soon to judge this movie. There are so many awesome plots they can write (already been written prolly) so I'm sure it's gonna put this movie in a different light after the trilogy is finished.
  • @Jaqenhgar
    It's called Star Wars Aftermath, written by Chuck Wendig. Now I didn't hear much positive feedback about this book but that has something to do with the writer :p
    Anyway I got the information out of a video about the guy that read it. Maybe search a vid about the most important points and background info to save you the trouble of reading a bad book hehe
  • I am very glad my thread inspired this discussion.

I am 34. WAtched 4-5-6 a few times growing up, then 1-3 in high school and college.

I appreciated the originals but felt they progressed slowly.
    I liked the story-lines of 1-3 but felt Anakin's acting ****. liked all 1_6's effects, but 1-3 reminded me of the campiness of the orginal Batman series of the 60s with its " meanwhile, ba k at the bat cave"... scene jumping.

So for me, those were weaknesses of the first 6 films, and I felt JJ Abrams succeded in not succumbing to those.
  • @Mephisto_style +1
    I don't understand the hate I see on the interwebs. All persons I spoke to like the movie, on IMDB and even here there are so much people that didn't like it, some even hating it. Is it a new thing to be cool when you hate something?
  • I think if u wrote a list of shortcomings the 1st 6 movies had, you would find the latest lacks many.
  • Aftermath isn't about Finn, at all, but there's a young adult book called "before the awakening" that has some on Finn, and of course "the force awakens" the book, goes into more detail.
    Aftermath was not that great of a writing style so it was kinda painful but still worth a once through.