Royal guard or St han???

Prev1
Onetime7979
1012 posts Member
Okay....

Question.

Shall I get Royal guard 6* To 9 gear and use him in my arena squad or get St han to 10 gear?

Squad:

Dooku
Phasma
GS
QGJ
ST han or Royal guard?

Replies

• RG is very viable at gear 9 but taking han to gear 10 may be a better move for that set up
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Phasma not in lead is suspect, personally I'd use both Han and RG on that team and take out either Phasma or Dooku
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • tRRRey wrote: »
    Phasma not in lead is suspect, personally I'd use both Han and RG on that team and take out either Phasma or Dooku
    i was feeling taking out phasma in that set up also
  • On offence:
    Phasma lead, STH, RG, QGJ, GS

On defense
    Dooku lead, STH, RG, Phasma, GS

QGJ is great in offence for dispel. Phasma is also better when she's controlled by an intelligent player, not an AI.

On defense, Dooku messes with the opponent's strategy (for example, if their QGJ misses on dispelling STH, they are in trouble). QGJ is not great on defense because the AI doesn't know when to use the dispel. If there is an opposing Rey or Yoda that has foresight, QGJ will actually waste his dispel on that.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    On offence:
    Phasma lead, STH, RG, QGJ, GS

On defense
    Dooku lead, STH, RG, Phasma, GS

QGJ is great in offence for dispel. Phasma is also better when she's controlled by an intelligent player, not an AI.

On defense, Dooku messes with the opponent's strategy (for example, if their QGJ misses on dispelling STH, they are in trouble). QGJ is not great on defense because the AI doesn't know when to use the dispel. If there is an opposing Rey or Yoda that has foresight, QGJ will actually waste his dispel on that.

I'm pretty sure QGJ trying to dispel foresight is a bug. I might be wrong but didn't dispelling foresight give offense up around the time you could stun through foresight?
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • I don't remember if it gives offence up... but I can confirm he still tries to dispel foresight, as I use that to my advantage daily lol
  • Onetime7979
    1012 posts Member
    The problem is my Phasma Is 10 gear maxed out, And dooku is 9 gear and Omega on hindering press.
  • Onetime7979
    1012 posts Member
    So Phasma lead, STH, RG, QGJ, GS would be better?
  • Jedi_Yoda
    928 posts Member
    Okay....

Question.

Shall I get Royal guard 6* To 9 gear and use him in my arena squad or get St han to 10 gear?

Squad:

Dooku
    Phasma
    GS
    QGJ
    ST han or Royal guard?

I keep listening to the wrong people.. I have RG, I face him in Arena I know how good he is.. but I see ST Han kick my butt if I don't take him out or Rey.. I am screwed.

RG is just Taunt he MAY stun, he has a large health pool, but dispell and QGJ ability can remove it easily, and thus skip him. He isn't a threat otherwise..

Therefore ST Han is the best, in this game OFFENSE is what you want
  • Onetime7979
    1012 posts Member
    A lot of different opinions ....Abit confused now might consider

Phasma (L)
    QGj
    RG
    ST han
    Gs

• tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Jedi_Yoda wrote: »
    Okay....

Question.

Squad:

Dooku
    Phasma
    GS
    QGJ
    ST han or Royal guard?

I keep listening to the wrong people.. I have RG, I face him in Arena I know how good he is.. but I see ST Han kick my butt if I don't take him out or Rey.. I am screwed.

RG is just Taunt he MAY stun, he has a large health pool, but dispell and QGJ ability can remove it easily, and thus skip him. He isn't a threat otherwise..

80% chance isn't MAY, he will stun more often than not. Also RG auto taunts which means you need to dispel him more than once with QGJ. Han is the best offensive tank but RG is definitely the best defensive one. Personally I use them together on offense and defense as I don't like wasting a fight just to switch them out. They go nicely together with Old Ben lead :smile:
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Jedi_Yoda
    928 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    tRRRey wrote: »
    Jedi_Yoda wrote: »
    Okay....

Question.

Squad:

Dooku
    Phasma
    GS
    QGJ
    ST han or Royal guard?

80% chance isn't MAY, he will stun more often than not. Also RG auto taunts which means you need to dispel him more than once with QGJ. Han is the best offensive tank but RG is definitely the best defensive one. Personally I use them together on offense and defense as I don't like wasting a fight just to switch them out. They go nicely together with Old Ben lead :smile:

Yes you have luxury to have both I do not.. but I would RATHER have ST Han now than RG, is my point.

If I had a choice I would NOT go RG first.. I would have gone with ST Han for sure.

And I have Obi in Lead, I upgraded his ability with Omega.. he is the reason I am at under 40 in Arena.
  • I don't see how a Ben lead makes sense with STHan. The point of STHan is that hits during his taunt give everyone else turn meter. Yet you are running him with an evasion leader that gives him the turn meter when he dodges.

So you raise the chance of a dodge on a toon you don't want to have dodge. And when he does dodge, he not only doesn't give turn meter to anyone else but it also shortens his taunt by making him go sooner.
  • Both. I run both now, and the team holds very well on defence, and I get easy wins on offence.
    Dooku (L), QGJ, rey, RG, STHan.
  • A lot of different opinions ....Abit confused now might consider

Phasma (L)
    QGj
    RG
    ST han
    Gs

Yes that's the way to go, I use that team but with Rey instead of GS. I usually take first or second and ppl don't seem to knock me down that much either. ST Han at g10 is awesome but not so much at g8, RG is still usable at g8.
    They can't dispel both your tanks with qgj, and if they dispel RGs they will get a hard time with Hans TM manipulation :smile:
  • Onetime7979
    1012 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    @AlexHermanssonGr

So the question I have still should I get Rg at 9 or St to 10?

Having them both in my Team.

• RG fits into almost every team. St Han is more requirement on what team you run.. It's hard to name every team st Han thrives in but generally if you have old Ben then get st Han. Or if you run other must kill toons like daka he might thrive as well. Otherwise just play it safe and get RG
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    @AlexHermanssonGr

So the question I have still should I get Rg at 9 or St to 10?

Having them both in my Team.

If you're running both get RG to 9 first
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Onetime7979
    1012 posts Member
    Okay I'm going to get Royal guard to gear 9 and Try out 2 Tanks with Phasma lead
  • Here's the thing, st han is worthless if he's dispelled. Royal guard is not. On defense sure, if they miss/don't have a dispel on han they're boned. But if they do you have 0 backup. Whereas royal guards taunt can still activate again immediately, he has a stun, and can buff armor up.
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • Onetime7979
    1012 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    That's why I made this post as I am really considering Royal guard or just put both of them in my Team and remove Dooku.

I love St han But it seems I'm the 3/20 who use him everybody else uses RG Might try 2 tanks in the team
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    I see more people running Han with RG than running Han alone. I've also seen him used as a lead along with RG and 3 dps characters (Rey, GS, QGJ, etc)
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Onetime7979
    1012 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    @tRRRey

So is this team good enough?

Phasma Lead (10 gear )
    Royal guard (8 gear - if I put him In team il get him to 9)
    St han (9 gear)
    QGJ (10 gear)
    GS (9 gear)

Would that Team be good to go?
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    That looks good to me, but when you can, replace GS with Rey otherwise that's a solid team you got there :smile:
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Onetime7979
    1012 posts Member
    The only Problem I don't think il have Rey anytime Soon as I use Guild coins to get....My Gear pieces ....I'm going to use My next 2 Omegas GS hive, Phasma turn to bring me through these Tuff times.
  • Fave
    96 posts Member
    I agree that's a good team.
    I use Phasma, Leia, Rg, QGJ, and lumi. All 7s but it's very hard to beat Ben, Rey, Han, Rg and Daka. Daka is balanced in my opinion, but Rey isn't.
  • Onetime7979
    1012 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Yeah I guess its best I keep that Squad the time I get Rey to 7* and good gear she will be tweaked abit most likely
  • I actually vote for ST Han g10! If they would miss dispel on Han (or don't have a dispelled) his extra health + protection will make him last a lot longer which gives you TM.
  • int3ns1fy
    210 posts Member
    Here's the easy answer: if you are only using one tank, RG is absolutely the way to go. Han is terribly vulnerable to dispelling, given the long cooldown on his taunt. Once he's dispelled, he's mostly useless. RG, on the other hand, needs to be dispelled every time a toon drops below 50% health. His stun is also incredibly useful.

Now, where Han becomes good is if you can pair him with RG. Others have mentioned this already, and it really does work well. My current arena team is:

Phasma(L) - gear 8
    ST Han - gear 9
    RG - gear 8
    QGJ - gear 9 (omega on basic)
    GS - gear 9

It's not the most powerful pairing out there, but for FTPers who don't have access to some of the harder-to-get toons yet (my Rey is still 5*) and don't want to go with the lame dodge meta, it works really well. Primarily because most people are not running more than one dispeller (and nobody in their right mind really uses Ventress in arena anyway), so facing RG and ST Han makes you make a hard choice between who to dispel.

It's also a nice arena squad because of gearing - Phasma and Han need furnaces, QGJ and RG need droid callers. And GS needs no raid gear to get to gear 9. So it's a relatively easy arena squad to gear up. I used my first droid caller on QGJ and my first furnace on Han, and haven't regretted it so far.

Honestly I don't really get why anyone would run Han by himself. I guess there might be some rare combinations that he works well with as a solo tank, but I can't think of any offhand.

Also I'm not convinced that running Han with a dodge leader is great either - yes certainly it's huge if Humbling Blow misses, but if Han is dodging attacks then you're not getting TM, which is the whole point of his taunt.
  • int3ns1fy wrote: »
    Primarily because most people are not running more than one dispeller (and nobody in their right mind really uses Ventress in arena anyway), so facing RG and ST Han makes you make a hard choice between who to dispel.
    My experience is that it works well on offense, but on defense it's not as great. All you do is attack Han until RG taunts. Attack RG until Han taunts, then everyone but QGJ attacks RG and QGJ dispels Han. At that point you can ignore Han and either finish off RG or start on Rey, QGJ or GS.

I suppose it helps that I use Daka, so double stuns get around taunts pretty well. I did run ST Han (L), RG, QGJ, GS and 86 for a while just after the update and did really well until everyone else got (or pre-crafted) more raid gear than me and I started dropping from top 20 to top 100.