Why is there a timer?

apav
1 posts Member
edited December 2015
A timer in squad battle is the most ridiculous thing ever. There have been plenty of times where I was in a standoff and the timer ran out, and I'll never know if I could win those matches. The last game I played it took a while to gain the upper hand, but I did and the timer ran out just as I was finishing off their last character. Why?! I clearly had the upper hand, I had all of my characters and they had just one. Why should we both lose? There are plenty of games where PvP doesn't have a timer. And any games with PvP that do have a timer are because you're facing off against actual players who are less patient than bots. But you're not battling players in squad battle.

You either you win or you lose, there shouldn't be a tie because time ran out. What is that even adding to the game? A sense of urgency? It's not like I'm sitting there planning my moves before I use my abilities, I am playing as fast as I can. If you're up against an enemy with around the same power, between taunt and heals you're going to tie a lot. Both of us losing because we're equally matched is really silly. Please reconsider this mechanic. At the very least don't let us tie, give the win to the player who had more characters alive when the time runs out. And about the problem of going AFK mid battle without a timer, just have it kick the player from the squad battle after a certain time of inactivity.

Replies

• Slushie
    425 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    There's a timer because with the current "swap" rank system, if someone is challenging you and you try to go into a fight with someone else, the game won't let you because "someone is currently engaged in battle with you".

I'm not sure why they lock you out of entering a fight while someone is fighting you. Maybe it's got to do with the fact that if someone challenges you and wins at the same time you challenge someone higher ranked and win, the server won't be able to assign the correct rank to you.

All this to say that if there was no 5 minute timer and you somehow managed to drag out a fight with someone for 10 minutes by using turtle healing tactics, then some poor sod won't be able to enter an arena fight for that whole 10 minutes.

Now, you wouldn't want that to happen to you right? :p

I'm not saying this is the right way to do it, I'm just stating that this is WHY it's done like this right now.
  • Song
    863 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    It make sense to have a timer especially in Arena. If there is no timer you can spend half day to fight the Arena.

I dont know what game you have been playing. But most game have a timer especially on Rank system, like **** (Clash of Clan).
  • Song wrote: »
    It make sense to have a timer especially in Arena. If there is no timer you can spend half day to fight the Arena.

I dont know what game you have been playing. But most game have a timer especially on Rank system, like **** (Clash of Clan).

Did the forums really censor C O C which is an abbreviation for the game Clash of Clans? Haha
  • Simple. If there was no timer, what would stop people in the top rankings from going into a match and sitting there for hours until the rewards are given out?
  • Song
    863 posts Member
    Slushie wrote: »
    Song wrote: »

Did the forums really censor C O C which is an abbreviation for the game Clash of Clans? Haha

i noticed that too. Hopefully they dont censor " wow and lol" just because their abbreviation are world of warcraft, league of legends
  • What's really ridiculous is that you have to completely annihilate your rival, but your rival wins even if he has only one fighter alive with his energy in red. I've been in that situation lots of times: my 5 fighters alive with max energy, my rival with only 1 fighter and in red energy, timer gets to zero and I lose. It's very frustrating to lose even when you manage to be better than your rival. This should be fixed as soon as possible.
  • Look at it this way you might find it easier to accept. The battle is controlled by AI and they makes non optimal moves. That said if your rival's team is in the hand of you real human rival, you might just lose the match. I could beat a guy with 3000 power above me. But if he really controlled his team, I would have no chance.
  • People would simply start a battle and not attack so they hold there rank for however long until rewards are given.
  • I regret to inform you that if your last enemy dies at the same time that the counter reaches zero, it counts as a defeat. Yeah, it doesn't matter that your enemy is dead, you lose.
  • I'm just going to copy and paste what a dev has responded with on why there's a PvP timer.

The problem is, we can't up the timer on PvP because of the rank swap system we're using. Right now, when you engage another player, both of your character records are locked--which means nobody can fight you. This is fine at anything below Rank 20, but once you start hitting Rank 20 or higher, it makes it extremely difficult to actually engage in a PvP battle.

This is something we are aware of and are working on. In fact, one of my main priorities is to rethink how we handle PvP and what we do with it in the future.
  • Haha so I've been sniping the #1 position in my time slot for about a week now. Today I was sitting pretty at #2 with about 6 minutes left and I was about to do my thing only to find out I'm engaged.

I had to sit there for 3.5 minutes while some little LVL 47 locked me out and swapped with me. 2 to 5.

So this is how it feels. Hahaha. That little ding **** cost me 200 crystals.
  • @Phyneas

And that's exactly why people asking for longer pvp timers is a bad thing.

• Yeap. Longer timers just allows people to reach too much.