Galactic War Tip - Use the Turn Meter Rollover to Your Advantage

If this has been stated elsewhere apologize for the redundancy, but I didn't see anything in the GW guides recently posted or any similar tips in the numerous GW complaint threads.

The idea here is to use the TM rollover from node to node to your advantage. The TM rollover hurts you when facing a tough node and trying to use a weak squad to burn enemy specials because when you go back in the enemy has their TMs already up and you're under heavy fire instantly. At first I thought the TM rollover change was bad because it really eliminates this tactic we'd used for some time. However, if you use the first 3-4 easier nodes to rotate in multiple teams and toons of your own it gives you a stable of 12-15 TM boosted heroes to use in later nodes.

I'll give a specific example. My node 1 team is rebel based with Rey/GS:
AA, Rey, Leia, HRS, and GS - here I'm just trying to kill stuff fast and not lose protection

Node 2 I'll then bench those 5 and bring in droids:
HK lead, 88, 86, JE, and B2 (could be Magna, B2 isn't critical here) - again, just trying to kill stuff fast. The nice thing here is that JE pushes up droids and 47 keeps them there - so you don't need to keep JE in your droid setup anymore - you can put in a high damage character to kill stuff before you lose much protection in later nodes - like Rey or GS.

Node 3 / 4 I'll bring in select other superstars to rotate in to these already TM boosted teams that I used in nodes 1 / 2.

For example, since I know I'll use them in teams probably later on, I'll drop JE and bring in Phasma so that in a later node her TM is juiced and she will go before the enemy. I'll drop B2 and then bring in Yoda or maybe RG. I'll do the same with QGJ and stick him in the Rebel squad, dropping HRS or GS generally. I do my best to let the TM boosted heroes actually kill stuff and at least on the recently added heroes, because I'm wanting to save their specials for later nodes, I don't use their specials. They are just in there to get the TM boost for later on. So on node 3 when I bring in Phasma I won't use her VM or speed down. I'll do the same and rotate Dooku in also, as he's a key leader skill and great vs. later-node Jinn leads.

This then lets me create some cool droid / high damage mixed squads as well to funnel in / out. Through some nodes I'll use HK leader, 88/86 with GS / Leia / Rey depending on what the opponent is. Leia will generally be in there if a 5s is present so that she can safely attack him while stealthed and bypass his protection-killing counter barrage.

The other advantage this has is I can sub in / out TM boosted toons and go around key cooldowns by subbing in a TM boosted toon that isn't on cooldown so that I always maintain a high % of my team with critical specials ready to go.

The TL;DR .... funnel in as many of your better heroes in the first 3-4 easier nodes of GW so that you have a group of about 12-15 turn meter boosted heroes that you can unleash on later nodes that are more difficult. This allows you to always go first, have a deep pool of specials / skills to attack with, preserves protection on your best heroes, and it speeds up the GW as many nodes you are killing the enemy before they have a chance to move.

Replies

• That... is an interesting idea. Hadn't thought to load the TM's.
    IGN: Malmsteen's Comet
  • Sungsta
    163 posts Member
    Yep, good strategy. Especially when u get to the old ben/dooku + rg + rey/leia nodes, its great to have a selection of tm boosted toons to choose from - if u current dpsers miss and fail to ko rey/leia, then u can substitute with ur other dps toons to try and get around that random seed generator.

I also find that qgj + yoda combo is quite advantageous too - a tm boosted yoda frequently can gain foresight then cast battle meditation before the opposing team gets a turn in. If ur first move is to call an assist, u can slot yoda into the assist spot in order to gain foresight and then cast bm.
  • aerendhil
    503 posts Member
    Thanks for the advice.
    I didn't think of it, and it does sound interesting, though time consumming to manage toon rotation.
    I choose the Red Pill.
  • Arillian
    240 posts Member
    aerendhil wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.
    I didn't think of it, and it does sound interesting, though time consumming to manage toon rotation.

Its actually not that bad once you do it once or twice, and makes life a lot easier.

I rotate in every toon I can, but never rotate out the toon who has the finishing blow.
    Knights of the Mobile Republic
  • Someone has mentioned it before, but it's good to keep everyone informed.

I found it easier to understand this way.

You have three Galactic War teams. (15 strong (or your strongest) heroes)

Battle 1 - use your third best team.
    Battle 2 - use your second best team.
    Battle 3 - use your best team.
    Battle 4+ - use your best team, switching heroes as you see fit.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • aerendhil wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.

Lot less time consuming than retreating and retrying.
  • KAULI
    517 posts Member
    I thought it once, but may be too time consuming (you dont want your best toon to do the finishing blow because he wont get any turnmeter---> retrieve again)
  • Gwonk
    238 posts Member
    Great idea. Thanks JSA! :)
  • Just to throw this out there. I use my overall strongest team for as long as possible. I have my healer on that team (now just Lumi; used to also have JC). They easily kill the first 2 or 3 nodes with a lot of protection left over. Then of course I have to start healing now and then; Typically I don't have to start being creative or subbing other toons in until about node 7.

I used to do the start with Team C, then Team B; etc but what I found is that I lost most of my protection in the early nodes. That can really screw you up later in the nodes. Example: My level C team is droid/jawa team. If I send them out on Node 9 without protection, then they get destroyed; many times that don't do any damage to the other team whatsoever. BUT if they still have protection, they can at least kill 1 or 2 toons and give my A-Team an easy fight that allows them to reset.

The other problem with subbing in and out regular is that you can end up with a team that has some toons with protection and some without. Well, the AI targets your no protection toons and either kills them or you waste a group heal on just 1 toon.

I've been beating GW regular for a long time; it has been easier for the last week or so.
  • I use a modified version of this strategy. I'll sub in three B and C teamers the first 4 nodes or so, then settle into my A team for nodes 5 to whatever. Works pretty well so far.
  • Forar
    94 posts Member
    An aspect I hadn't really looked at, thanks JSA.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Thanks JSA. I might try this tonight
  • Whitchit
    186 posts Member
    Yup, works great, if you areplanning on using your b team, start node one with your a team.
  • Someone has mentioned it before, but it's good to keep everyone informed.

I found it easier to understand this way.

You have three Galactic War teams. (15 strong (or your strongest) heroes)

Battle 1 - use your third best team.
    Battle 2 - use your second best team.
    Battle 3 - use your best team.
    Battle 4+ - use your best team, switching heroes as you see fit.

That can work for sure - the idea there and in my OP is to leverage the weaker nodes 1 - 3 to bring in more toons to get the TM boost but without them losing much if any protection. I think as long as you're accomplishing those two objectives (toons gaining TM and not losing protection) any order or method in how you deploy the teams can work.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    EDIT: nevermind it's good to keep people informed anyway.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    I use a modified version of this strategy. I'll sub in three B and C teamers the first 4 nodes or so, then settle into my A team for nodes 5 to whatever. Works pretty well so far.

That's where I am. I'll always start Barriss lead with Rey and then underdeveloped Poe, JC and Sid. Go halfway through, sub in Lumi, QGJ and GS. Swap GS for RG or Han if needed (Han for Dooku leads) and head all the way through the rest. That usually works for me. I k own Rey and Barriss are out of protection, but I usually don't lose either. I lost Rey and Barriss last node yesterday but the remaining opposition was Poggle and GS, so Meh.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Netsug
    28 posts Member
    Do like me, be weak in the arena and you can just breeeeeeeze through GW...✌