Whipit's guide to nerfing characters

Prev13
I see the complaints...I understand the complaints and I agree with the complaints. Something must be done to balance the game. So instead of complaining I will be constructive and offer ways to balance the game. Let's start!

AOE damage has to go

Darth Sidious. His AOE can crit over 3k +dots. On average that's around 18k damage in one turn. This must be changed. I suggest limiting his AOE to two targets only and removing the dot. Better yet just make it one target because two targets would be 8k in damage in one turn. That's to much.

Just to make a blanket statement all AOE's should be dropped to one target to insure balance.

Character Effects

Boba seriously needs a nerf. I don't thinks it's fair he is able to use the jetpack in combat. I'm not saying take it away completely...but make it where it can't be used in combat. The ability to attack from above is a huge advantage. He can see things from that perspective other characters can't. It needs changed.
I don't mean to pick on Sid again but his AOE effects leaves hot embers on the ground. I think this is way to much. How can the other team be effective if hot embers are burning ALL there feet. I suggest changing the embers to only effect one target. Like a mini ember you could say.

I believe the lightsaber sound and effects are intimidating. They also leave mini embers when they strike a target. If it's an AOE jedi attack that can leave hot embers on the whole team. Very unfair. I suggest nerfing the sound and effects..make the lightsaber resemble a broom. Yeh. That way there's no embers and no intimidating sounds that interfere with gameplay.

Any high damage character

It's not fair. A dps should not be able to dps. Not sure what CG was thinking here honestly. FOTP is a great example. He can do 9k damage in one turn. Coupled with his stun, ability block, self heal, team heal, team buff and his debuff thats to many tools to be doing that much damage. I suggest removing all those abilities and just leave him with his DPS abilities. And limit his DPS to not being able to hit above 4k. Right now his damage rivals Luminara which with all his abilities makes her look less than stellar. Not fair. Which brings me to my next point.

Healers

While we are nerfing DPS we should 100% make all healers heal only. Except Luminara as she is extremely underpowered as it is. Wait. Nevermind they already did this one. Moving on.

Synergies
This has no place in this game. I feel synergies create overpowered teams. To combat this I believe if characters are the same class they shouldn't be able to be in the same team. The clone synergy is a great example. Seperated clones are balanced and do very little dps..under 2k on a crit. But put them in a clone synergy group and all the sudden they are critting for 3k. That is gamebreaking. And I fear just by me writing this people will swarm the nodes to farm clones. I may have just broke the game.

Chrono only characters

The most gamebreaking item on this list. I feel the chrono only characters are way to overpowered. You don't see them that often so when you do they are very distracting. I fought a team with Lando in it and ended up losing the match because of Lando's cape. It sways slightly to the right and when I should be concentrating on the match Im stuck mesmerized by that freaking cape. I suggest removing that cape or make it where Lando can be farmed in game. The rift between f2p and p2p only grows when you introduce swaying capes that are only available to paying players. Phasma's cape doesn't sway which only reinforces my point.

That's all I can think of at the moment. As I run across new overpowered things I will update this thread to complain. Feel free to add any sugestions of things you feel need nerfed.

Replies

  • Terrorize89
    434 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    You forgot the most op aspect of FOTP, his or hers latex clad rear. How can anyone stand up to such distractions, nerf it! Nerf the rear!
  • 7/10
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Cute, but misplaced. There ARE characters that need to be adjusted and fixing 1 or 2 or 3 broken characters in an update makes much more sense than redoing an entire system.
    When top players are saying "you must get character X to keep up with everyone else who has character X" that's a pretty good sign that character X is busted.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • You forgot the most op aspect of FOTP, his or hers latex clad rear. How can anyone stand up to such distractions, nerf it! Nerf the rear!

    I actually wouldn't want the latex changed. I farmed and spent a lot of crystals to see that rear end in black latex. They change that and Im out.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    Cute, but misplaced. There ARE characters that need to be adjusted and fixing 1 or 2 or 3 broken characters in an update makes much more sense than redoing an entire system.
    When top players are saying "you must get character X to keep up with everyone else who has character X" that's a pretty good sign that character X is busted.

    You mean like Luminara, Sidious and Phasma?
  • Naecabon wrote: »
    7/10

    I was shooting for 5/10. Thank you my friend. Much appreciated.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    WhipiT wrote: »
    You mean like Luminara, Sidious and Phasma?

    Not at the top of my list, because they don't break anything, but yes, all of those need adjustment. Sidious should never have been buffed, Phasma does too much, and Lumi hits too hard for also having a 100% ability block and the best heal in the game. They are common because they are easy farms, but they also common because they are "no brainers" from their respective shipment sources.
    Come on, WhipiT. You know which are the really broken characters right now. There are teams that wipe out half the other team before they can even move. This is severely messed up.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • While I appreciate the satire, I think a percentage of players won't read beyond the first paragraph and will start demanding nerfs to AOE...

    Jokes aside, I wonder if perhaps the best way to combat demands for the nerfbat would be a comprehensive guide to countering various characters, teams, or strategies. I'm not equipped with the knowledge to create such a thing, but perhaps there are others who are!
    You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way.
  • The parody is strong with this one... 10/10.

    Note: Latex is OP because it is well known that many Twi'lek have latex allergies. They should nerf latex and only allow vinyl.

    Thank you for this, we really needed it. :D
  • Terrorize89
    434 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Qeltar wrote: »
    WhipiT wrote: »
    You mean like Luminara, Sidious and Phasma?

    Not at the top of my list, because they don't break anything, but yes, all of those need adjustment. Sidious should never have been buffed, Phasma does too much, and Lumi hits too hard for also having a 100% ability block and the best heal in the game. They are common because they are easy farms, but they also common because they are "no brainers" from their respective shipment sources.
    Come on, WhipiT. You know which are the really broken characters right now. There are teams that wipe out half the other team before they can even move. This is severely messed up.

    Or perhaps it's just the other shipments need a bit of a boost? I also wouldn't say Lumi and Phasma are that easy to farm for the majority, since it seems so many complain about GW matchmaking etc. So the only ones who can farm them easily are people who already have a strong bench and synergies in their favour. A lot of people pick these "no brainers" because they see everyone else doing so, so they join the wagon without any thought to if they actually will benefit their teams, particularly Phasma. At least half the people using Phasma are only doing so because they think it will magically improve their team yet the team based around her barely benefits, you must, like I do, run into plenty of Phasma led teams that you easily beat.
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Omg, I'm trying to read the forum surreptitiously at work and now people are looking at me for laughing. That was hilarious. Didn't know where you were going until the end of the aoe segment, and then I just lost it!
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • It's a good thing GS doesn't use his wings. Dat poggle though gets across the skirmish line way too fast.
  • fungushnitzel
    196 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    This thread nerfed my feelings.

    Excellent guide, would get nerfed again.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    3/10. Generally not funny. The three points were for having a well organized post.
    Post edited by Telaan on
  • WhipiT wrote: »

    Boba seriously needs a nerf.
    Speaking of Boba, why doesn't he use his gun at all? Whoose idea was that to give him a gun but but no ammo? It's completely unbalanced. Either give him some ammo or take it from ALL others. B)
  • I really don't find this very funny, especially since aoe does need to be adjusted, every aoe does too much damage to have a negative status effect attached. You get like 5 dots per character plus silence, you are basically screwed.
  • 0/10. Take a walk. You know as we all do thers some broken characters. Not even funny.
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    They're not mutually exclusive positions, you know. Just because there's still serious balance issues in the game, (and I agree with you on that BTW) doesn't mean there can't be some levity at the situation.

    I'm all for stepping back and laughing together about things sometimes, rather than being all angry serious about them.
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Bora
    387 posts Member
    Rolf wrote: »
    They're not mutually exclusive positions, you know. Just because there's still serious balance issues in the game, (and I agree with you on that BTW) doesn't mean there can't be some levity at the situation.

    I'm all for stepping back and laughing together about things sometimes, rather than being all angry serious about them.

    Marry me!
    Res non verba
  • obiwan1011
    396 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    KitsuAeryn wrote: »
    I wonder if perhaps the best way to combat demands for the nerfbat would be a comprehensive guide to countering various characters, teams, or strategies. I'm not equipped with the knowledge to create such a thing, but perhaps there are others who are!

    It's not going to help much. I don't think it has to do with people lacking the knowledge; it has more to do with lacking the ammunition/option to counter those heroes.

    Say you need Hero X or Y to effectively counter Hero Z. Can most players acquire and level up Hero X or Y within a reasonable time frame? Nope. Not unless you spend money.

    Hence, most players are stuck the following options:

    - Pray that RNG is on your side
    - Get frustrated and complain or ask for nerf
    - Spend money
    - Quit

    On a side note, a funny post, but not particularly too considerate, WhipIT. Not that I am calling for a nerf on any particular hero, but if you considered the frustrations of most F2P players who are struggling to compete against players who spend (and nothing wrong about that), you wouldn't mock them.
  • Vampire_X
    1430 posts Moderator
    I read this in a executive briefing and spit out coffee chuckling ... You owe me a shirt sir lol literally I had to lie about why I couldn't stop chuckling

    10/10

    Wookie!!!!!! latex is amazing don't you and your cantina tw'liek touch it's op sexyiness
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Bora
    387 posts Member
    Great post @WhipiT, as usual! I spit Coke on my cat.. Now he kinda wants to nerf you All.

    Btw i took my time to say this VVV what do you think guys?
    Perhaps a different perspective could be: don't "punish" us with a 6 months or so marathon to max a toon we like.. It is quite probable that in such a long term new characters, tables, meta etc will change the assumptions taken at the time the decision to go for that toon was made. Even thought that datamining could provide a somewhat reliable insight to who shall retain a good value in the future, this cannot take into account anything else besides stats/who should get upper tier gear.. No way to foresee what will change because of different factors (ie new toons, modes, etc etc) it is good not knowing each and every little detail about forthcoming updates, but if i can't correctly plan, then i'd like at least to be able to pursue different strategies in a reasonable amount of time.. As it currently is this leaves me like i'm kinda forced to play roulette and prey, plus it doesn't allow the average player to enjoy such new contents before they become "so last year"!
    Let ppl gain slightly faster shards/gear in order to adapt to an everchanging gameplay but only if we are good in using what we unlock! challenge us harder, make us use our teams, try different compositions, adapt our strategies, study how to better accomplish whatever you'll throw at us.. Just don't let us grind to be able to grind more!
    Also simming is killing fun, because while it is nice not having to repeat the same Lvl a gazillion times, the point is that this is just a remedy to the fact that those lvls has to be farmed over and over because it's the way to get the stuff you need.. Simming or not.
    Men i feel that's the problem, it is not funny to do that, plain and simple.
    Why not try new/revamped/overhauled tables in which you have really good chances to get the offered rewards if you can beat it! Scaling up difficulty/rewards so each player level have something they can do.. I'm not asking new stuff every day, current rate is fine, plus i guess it takes time to develop/test new things to implement.. So a little grind is actually necessary, just i'd really appreciate being less in need to offer my a*s to RNG Gods ;)
    Isn't it supposed to be a strategy game afterall?
    C'mon CG, you've done great so far, you brought to us all a pretty good game, we just like it so much we want more of it!
    Res non verba
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    obiwan1011 wrote: »
    Say you need Hero X or Y to effectively counter Hero Z. Can most players acquire and level up Hero X or Y within a reasonable time frame? Nope. Not unless you spend money.
    Very true. Not much use for rock, paper, scissors if rock is pay-only.

    But if there's more than one way to beat paper (rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock) then it becomes more viable.

    PS. Sorry Bora, already taken ;)
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Nerf is going mainstream.
  • This was great. Finally some satire. I must admit though the first paragraph about sid being too powerful started getting my blood boiling. He's the weakest on my team. Not really, his death healing is pretty doggone good really.

    Finally you brought all the entitled crybabying to where it needs to be. Made ridiculous. However this won't stop people from complaining. I've played HC for a long time and like this game better. I believe if toons need to be nerfed all they hafta do is nerf their gear above the cap. And players just need to keep grinding and rethink what teams they are building if they want some success. And have patience.

    Thanks for the post.

  • Bora
    387 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    @Rolf Hahahhahaha, me too but all these OP-latex stuff messing around made me need to nerf myself
    Res non verba
  • Elyndria
    482 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Someone's salty.

    The first step is admitting you're wrong, second is denial, third is troll the forums. :*
  • Rheen
    269 posts Member
    Ugnaught needs a nerf. He killed my 7* leia. Although Leia admittedly was almost dead from facing off with a terrifying royal guard, the fact that Ugnaught killed her is a glitch.

    No f2p character like Ugnaught should be able to kill a great character like Leia. Please fix this glitch or I will stop playing the game but I will keep posting on these forums for 2 years and I will probably cry.
    Guide to Beating Galactic War from Team Instinct
    TeamInstinct.net -- Community Site and Home to Team Instinct
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    I'm just glad that I'm not the only one that thought Boba Fett's attacking from above was OP. That jetpack needs to go.
  • Wifi
    36 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Qeltar wrote: »
    WhipiT wrote: »
    You mean like Luminara, Sidious and Phasma?

    Not at the top of my list, because they don't break anything, but yes, all of those need adjustment. Sidious should never have been buffed, Phasma does too much, and Lumi hits too hard for also having a 100% ability block and the best heal in the game. They are common because they are easy farms, but they also common because they are "no brainers" from their respective shipment sources.
    Come on, WhipiT. You know which are the really broken characters right now. There are teams that wipe out half the other team before they can even move. This is severely messed up.

    Q, I think you are wrong. I don't see any overpowered characters, just a lot of underpowered ones that need a boost. By this I mean, all the characters have flaws or counters. Sid.. His dot is fairly weak and his health is mediocre. He dies fast and I don't even consider him much of a threat. Luminara, low health and easy to kill. Darth Maul coupled with Poggle makes Jedi masters into younglings. But guess what.. Super low health and low speed, when I see him he's dead before he even gets an attack. Or you can ability block him. Phasma, great leader ability, somewhat tanks but dmg is also mediocre. Kylo, don't AOE him or you pay for it, otherwise he's nothing. Poggle, low health or just ability block. Boba, ability block. 4 AOE with Poggle teams, Qui Gon with ObiWan and some high Dps single target players and iI never had a problem. FOTP, guess what, yes he has access to gear 8 and hits hard but if you have him to gear 8 like I do you will notice that his last slot required lvl 73, meaning if they bring the cap to 70 in the upcoming patch, FOTP does not get access to a single gear upgrade, bringing him in line with other top characters. As for his counter, he is slow, focus him down first and/or use ObiWan.

    I'm sorry, I completely disagree with you. All these top characters have drawbacks or are counterable in some way. I like the fact you can face a team and get slaughtered then come back with a team that counters it and blow them out of the water.

    What I do notice is that there are a bunch of characters that suck so bad therefore nobody uses them. These need to be boosted a little but keeping in mind some of them are much easier to than others and therefore should be appropriately boosted keeping that in mind.
Sign In or Register to comment.