CHARACTER STRATEGIES - Poe Dameron, Finn and Rey

Replies

• Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I think Poe has possibilities in some special synergies late game; however, I've pretty much had to put him away for almost everything because he simply does not have the HP or damage resist (or combo thereof) to withstand his own special (which is kinda ridiculous really). He is just SO squishy.

I have an idea on how to use him but boy is it dependent on having a very specific character set at 5*+ basically.

First, his tenacity is really high, so he is probably going to resist (and gain life) a ton of things.

Then, if you put luke as the leader, he will have even more tenacity.

Also, his HP isn't low.

I think POE is going to be ran in almost all top end teams (not decks lol) in the future. Expose + 2 turn taunt + tenancity + his speed, is a really good combo.

Post edited by Barrok on
  • I've been using Poe. Will have him 5* tomorrow and max gear (he's one piece off). I've built my team around him and he's helped elevate me from the 100s down to the top 10. I just had a game where my Poggle went and gave offense up, my Poe fired off an Expose that hit all 5 of his lvl60/purple chars, and then Sid fired off his AoE to knock 3 of his 5 into yellow. Luke/Lumi cleaned up two and that was the match.

One round then auto-play.

When his expose doesn't hit the normal 2 chars it is still so effective as at 4*/gear 7 he has enough HP to survive most of the first round and sometimes into the second round if the other team doesn't have sufficient solo-attackers. When he makes it to the second round I can either heal him with Lumi or just finish off the other team knowing they'll have to waste even more shots.

Poe is going to be a staple in a lot of builds. He replaced Chewy who had more HP but seemed to die faster. Not to mention his taunt usually fired off after the majority of the other team was already through their turns so I was typically down 1 character. Since Poe's tenacity is so high it feels like Sid's healing-immunity attack rarely takes whereas Chewy ate that often and wasn't able to self-heal.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    One thing that was nice about Chewy going last was, (at least on defense), You had some guys take damage and then Chewy taunted. So basically their first two turns didn't matter, because they spread out damage on turn 1, then turn 2 attacked Chewy. That gives you a lot of time on offense to take care of work.

With POE, it's conceivable that he dies the first turn, since he taunts before almost anyone else has a chance to go yet.

Though I think I am going to replace Chewy with Poe, I still see some positives for Chewy (though when he gets healing immunity buff, he really sucks)
  • Barrok wrote: »
    One thing that was nice about Chewy going last was, (at least on defense), You had some guys take damage and then Chewy taunted. So basically their first two turns didn't matter, because they spread out damage on turn 1, then turn 2 attacked Chewy. That gives you a lot of time on offense to take care of work.

That defeats the point of a tank though against teams that can dps out single targets. Chewy would work fine if you don't have anyone to protect but against max toons almost everyone can be knocked out in round one.

The expectation with Poe is that you're picking the guy you let get knocked out in round 1. I trade Poe for their Sid/FOTP/Leia/Maul/etc. The addition of his expose can also mean I take out their main damage dealer AND take away up to 20% of their entire teams HP pool.

And people who don't have Poe under-rate his tenacity and self-heal on resist. It often enables him to survive round 1 even against very strong attackers. If he survives round 1 you usually win.

• Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    Sorry, I should say on "offense" it's nice with chewie. On defense, pretty sure you want POE for the reasons you mentioned.

Just throwing out one positive for Chewie :pensive:

With that said, I am at 5* for POE, slowing getting him to 7. Then I am switching to him.
  • Chewy is still my go-to tank for GW. I think he's much, much better in it than Poe. And on offense he was always fine for me up to the point I replaced him with Poe. Like you said you can use him to get the taunt off second round and typically the AI isn't quite good enough to focus down your better attackers so the later taunt isn't a deal breaker.
  • I find POE much better for Arena, and Chewy better for GW, as the above poster said.
  • I haven't started farming poe, but he is the one I usually kill first in arena. I usually end up losing if I don't.
  • What kind of teams do you guys use Poe in?
  • I use Poe as my leader. With Rey, Resistance pilot. The damage increase for the pilot and Rey along with the taunt and expose allow me to kill two people in the first round of arena. (Sid and whoever else looks nasty). I went from struggling to stay below 100 to ranking in the top 10. Yes, he is squishier than chewie, but the speed alone is worth it. People aren't killing off my glass cannons before they fire.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    how did you get a Rey??? :P
  • Im debating whether or not farming to upgrade finn would be benefitial in the long run. I have him at 4* while luke is at 5*.

Any comments on who I should farm or how finn performs at a higher level?

Any replies are greatly appreciated
  • I don't have Luke but have borrowed one from an ally. His Luke is a 6*, and my Finn is 5*. At this level Finn hits harder and has more health. Finn is a little slower, but can also stun. Finn can also expose. To me they fill a similar role, though my preference is Finn.
    IGN: Malmsteen's Comet
  • Finn is my loved one and if I wouldn't be doing a counter team I would get him to 7 stars. Have him at 5 and trying to get Kylo now
  • oh thx.. ill try to keep these replies in mind
  • jeremyj26 wrote: »
    I don't have Luke but have borrowed one from an ally. His Luke is a 6*, and my Finn is 5*. At this level Finn hits harder and has more health. Finn is a little slower, but can also stun. Finn can also expose. To me they fill a similar role, though my preference is Finn.

The only way a 5 star Finn is hitting harder than a 6 star Luke is if the Luke is way undergeared.

Luke hits much harder than Finn. Finn has a bit more utility because of the stun chance and expose chance, and also has more health than Luke, but Luke brings the thunder.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I really wanted to like Finn, and I need someone to farm in Cantina now. But he just seems so underwhelming on paper. The fact that I have literally never encountered him in GW, even though he was in the Kylo pack, tells me something too.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • jeremyj26 wrote: »
    I don't have Luke but have borrowed one from an ally. His Luke is a 6*, and my Finn is 5*. At this level Finn hits harder and has more health. Finn is a little slower, but can also stun. Finn can also expose. To me they fill a similar role, though my preference is Finn.

The only way a 5 star Finn is hitting harder than a 6 star Luke is if the Luke is way undergeared.

Luke hits much harder than Finn. Finn has a bit more utility because of the stun chance and expose chance, and also has more health than Luke, but Luke brings the thunder.

It was purple geared. Consistently hitting 1400-1500 non-crit. My Finn also gear 7, basic attack was 2000-2100.
    IGN: Malmsteen's Comet
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    I really wanted to like Finn, and I need someone to farm in Cantina now. But he just seems so underwhelming on paper. The fact that I have literally never encountered him in GW, even though he was in the Kylo pack, tells me something too.

He is strong IMO 5* hitting 2k+ basic is good, nice health, can stun And expose with special, really Solid
  • Barrok wrote: »
    how did you get a Rey??? :P

Isn't it annoying how lots of our members have Rey at 7* and you and I can't farm her shard to save our lives?! Lol
    Happy for our teammates tho

She hits like a truck.. But I like using a counter team vs Rey.. If she can't kill you 1 shot with flurry of blows, then that counter hero will kill her right away.. Especially if she doesn't have her foresight on :)
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Anyone else have more thoughts on Finn? I need to decide whether to farm him or go for IG-86 or someone else.. and decide soon.
    Thanks.
  • It really depends on your team but if you use a lot of beefy characters I could see it working.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Where does he fit in? What is his role? Does he hit hard? He's pretty tanky but slow. I am really not sure how well his specials translate into actual play.
  • He is very versatile, obviously best in Resistance teams, but works well with my Sid Dooku Lumi JC generic team. He just hits pretty hard and for F2P like me it's not easy to find toons easily that can hit 2k regular hits at 5* with his normal ability. Stun and expose is useful in games, he obviously is slow and not really a tank IMO but high HP works well in game.
    He is nothing special, but a very solid toon for players who hate glass cannons like me.
  • Finn it's like your average RPG character. Fits good on any team, he doesn't excel on a specific area neither he sucks on everyone. Obviously, where he really shines it's on a Resistance Team that uses Trooper as the Damage Dealer. But almost every team would take advantage of that Expose + Stun.
  • Might just be me but had anyone fought against Rey and find her a little OP? I mean seam two big my level 45 Clone Wars Chewbacca.
  • Starman123 wrote: »
    Might just be me but had anyone fought against Rey and find her a little OP? I mean seam two big my level 45 Clone Wars Chewbacca.

How many times have you faced her in Arena or Galactic War? And what level are you?
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • I have faced her twice and lost both times and I'm level 45.
  • Starman123 wrote: »
    I have faced her twice and lost both times and I'm level 45.

Sorry, but that's nowhere near enough experience to say someone is OP.

If you look in one of the many other thread about her, she takes a long time to buff herself so that her abilities hit harder. So if you can take her out before her second or third turn then she is toast.

Where she would be most effective is on a team with Poe, Phasma or Poggle. If Poe taunts then you won't be able to focus her down. Other that that unique scenario she is just like every other hero.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Yeah I noticed her triple attack do about 1000 damage each hit one time.