Spenders vs Free to Play

Prev13
I would like to address some issues that are starting to overrun the forums and I refuse to sugarcoat anything. So please keep responses civil and constructive as I will try my best to do as well. I want to prepare f2p for the upcoming changes and suggest possible solutions to help.

Free to Play

While it seems right now that f2p can be on par with p2p competitively I feel this is a temporary illusion. If you could imagine this game as a race with a 100 laps p2p jumped out to a lead early at launch. We all had our little chrono only 4-7* and for the first few weeks we dominated. But we hit the lvl 60 cap and f2p while quite away behind us lvl wise were given time to farm the easily attainable characters. Slowly you guys caught up to our level and also were given fairly strong characters to choose from to farm. It evened the playing field because p2p was stuck on the final lap.

Soon the level cap will be released and not long after a major update introducing new characters will also be added. You can bet those characters will be pretty powerful and/or complete team synergies. Here is where things start to get crazy.

Someif not most of those will be character packs. Some will be chrono only cards. Some will be farmable ingame. I want to prepare f2p that not only will the meta change the most powerful characters will also be the hardest to attain. You will see p2p with these characters almost immediately. And unlike f2p p2p will already have hard to attain characters that synergize well with the new characters..already unlocked. So while f2p can still be competitive at Lvl 70/80 it will be a long while before that is the case. You will hit 70 much later and you farm characters/gear at a much slower rate. So f2p will have to be comfortable with a "long haul" strategy instead of the quick competitiveness you were able to enjoy at launch.

You have two options as free to play. You can come to the forums and whine about how certain characters are overpowered and demand they are nerfed as many are doing now..which will fall on deaf ears to the developers and p2p players as that is how the game is designed. You get what you pay for just like anything else in life..this game is no different. If you think as f2p you will instantly be competive with someone who dropped 2k USD at level 70 you are sorely mistaken. They won't nerf hard to farm characters. They won't nerf chrono only characters. So do your best to deal with that fact by planning for the future. Sure you think FOTP is overpowered. Yours is 2* while p2p can be 5-7*. That's the way it's supposed to be. Whining won't change that. But farming his nodes everyday for the next few months and you too as a f2p player can enjoy FOTP in all his glory. Make sense? It's funny no one complained about how OP luminara has been since launch. Know why? F2p can easily attain her. Now if Luminara was chrono only or hard to farm best believe f2p would have been in an uproar.

This is not a soapbox post nor an instigating post. Just the cold hard truths that at some point f2p will have to accept and adapt. Or quit. I would like to make suggestions that might help for the future.

Some suggestions for f2p:

* All the characters you want nerfed or give you a hard time start farming them. Spend every last crystal on energy. It will take some months but eventually you will have them.

* Learn to let go of Luminara/Sid/JC. These characters are losing there places in arena quickly. They were great pre 60 but are getting outdated due to the meta changing to damage over defense. I would suggest investing in Poogle/ Poe/ FOTP. These will be staples at 70. Maybe not on the same team but you will find one in every team in my opinion at 70. As f2p you have almost every option at your fingertips just understand its going to take a long while....but it can be done.

* Spend money. This is your answer to 99% of complaints. Want that shiny toy everyone else has? Spend some money. Im not saying give your first born child in chrono cards but spend 5 bucks on a crystal sub. Invest it all in energy. Buy the occasional shards in shipments for characters you're farming. I mean what is 5 bucks? Thats nothing financially. But can speed things up tremendously!!

* Don't whine on the forums. " I spend no money but want to be equal with p2p" That's what I and most paying players..and I imagine the developers see when you guys complain about what you deem OP in a certain character. We didn't hear you guys complain about Luminara or Sidious and we all know why you didn't!

Take that negative energy and spend it asking how you could complete a team in the future that could counter the said character you complain about. Everything has a counter. Everything. Knowledge is power. The more you know the smarter decisions you will make on farming characters so in a few months you too as f2p can compete and beat the whales.

Pay to play

As p2p we all should help as much as possible to share our knowledge with f2p as we need them for the game to flourish. They are as important to the game as we are. Make guides..share counter strategies...don't flame frustrated players on the forums. I know some can't be helped and want everything for free..but many just want help and guidance. We should be there to guide the way and insure they are farming the right characters.

Please no flaming. I'm sure this offended some but it was meant to explain the reality of the future if f2p vs p2p. I didnt design the game, I'm just explaining how it is. So don't shoot the messenger:)

Replies

• Good post. I think my frustration as a F2P is when I'm up against the $2k whales. That gets frustrating, but I feel no need to rant on the forums. I like the challenge of figuring a way to combat them, and I like having $2k that I didn't invest in pixels. But I do appreciate you supporting the game and keeping it going!!
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    The call for being civil and constructive is nice to read. It would be good if you could also apply this to your constant complaining about other posters here.
    That said, there are some valid points in this post. Also some incorrect claims, and some important missing elements.
    "They won't nerf hard to farm characters. They won't nerf chrono only characters." -- They already have.
    Due to the complexities involved in interactions among characters, sometimes the designers create monsters that they didn't anticipate. These need to be tamed. Sometimes these are chrono chars. Sometimes F2P. There are currently several broken/OP characters, some of which are P2P and some of which are F2P. They need to be fixed to ensure game balance.
    Flaming and/or mocking everyone who points out that there are imbalances is uncivil and unconstructive.
    "Learn to let go of Luminara/Sid/JC. .. They were great pre 60 but are getting outdated due to the meta changing to damage over defense." -- Written literally hours before a new update. We have no idea what the meta will be now. And F2P / low-P2P players don't have the option of simply "letting go" of their best chars, whom they put all their resources into. I seriously doubt Sid and Lumi are going to become bad options for F2P after this update, even if they aren't as dominant as they are at present.
    "Don't whine on the forums." -- Until you get a "Mod" tag next to your name, you have no business telling other people what they should and should not do here. Plus, you whine more than most people here.. and you do it about other people, which is worse than doing it about the game. (The forum is here for feedback about the game, not about other players.)
    The major missing part of your essay is that it reinforces the false dichotomy: "F2P", whereby you seem to mean people who spend no money at all, and "P2P", meaning "whales" who spend thousands of dollars on chromium packs. There is a lot of room in between these extremes. You do touch on this by mentioning small purchases, but overall there's too much "F2P vs. P2P" on this forum while ignoring the big part in the middle.
    There are people who have achieved great success as pure F2P. Others have done even better with small expenditures, such as $5 packs or crystal subs. There are also people like myself, whom I call "dolphins"... we spend more than the average player but don't play the chromium lottery. I have so far spent about $100-120 on the game, and I am doing just fine. (I could do better in Arena and probably beat anyone there except for a couple of whales, but I just don't care that much about it.) This is a sizable amount of money, but again, many people spend that much a week on lottery tickets or dining out or whatever. This is just another form of entertainment.
    Finally, I think the most important point to emphasize is that this is a GAME, and it should be about having fun. This is often lost. It's easy to get wrapped up in the competitive aspects.. but that doesn't have to be the case. I for one enjoy the game much more when I simply focus on building my team, and only worry about ending up in the top 20 or 50 in Arena and not the top 5. It's not worth the aggravation to me to deal with the clock-watching and sniping. Many people just enjoy the gameplay and collecting characters and trying out combos.. and that's all they need to do.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • The F2P is so overwhelming already, I don't understand how anyone would want to spend an outrageous amount of money on a mobile game just to unlock a character. I barely purchase DLC on the Xbox One, look at games like these and simply play it for fun and as I unlock items and achievements, the time put in seems worth it. Then you have folks that don't mind throwing down a few hundred here and there to purchase crystals (which they can get for free, daily...) in bulk.

What ever happened to patience? They say time is money but gosh..
  • They should have an award or tag for arena top 10 finish weekly basis irrespective of 6 pm deadline.
  • HDShizz wrote: »

Having played tons of mobile games, patience is not a valid factor if you like to fully utilise a character like Darth Maul :)

Sides, many of the players who spend do have the finances for doing it. And they do have patience; reason why a lot are waiting for the level increase and new characters to start spending at volume again.
    *hints at devs*
  • Guys.. Are you Ready for the flame??
  • WhipiT
    591 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Qeltar wrote: »
    The call for being civil and constructive is nice to read. It would be good if you could also apply this to your constant complaining about other posters here.
    That said, there are some valid points in this post. Also some incorrect claims, and some important missing elements.
    "They won't nerf hard to farm characters. They won't nerf chrono only characters." -- They already have.
    Due to the complexities involved in interactions among characters, sometimes the designers create monsters that they didn't anticipate. These need to be tamed. Sometimes these are chrono chars. Sometimes F2P. There are currently several broken/OP characters, some of which are P2P and some of which are F2P. They need to be fixed to ensure game balance.
    Flaming and/or mocking everyone who points out that there are imbalances is uncivil and unconstructive.
    "Learn to let go of Luminara/Sid/JC. .. They were great pre 60 but are getting outdated due to the meta changing to damage over defense." -- Written literally hours before a new update. We have no idea what the meta will be now. And F2P / low-P2P players don't have the option of simply "letting go" of their best chars, whom they put all their resources into. I seriously doubt Sid and Lumi are going to become bad options for F2P after this update, even if they aren't as dominant as they are at present.
    "Don't whine on the forums." -- Until you get a "Mod" tag next to your name, you have no business telling other people what they should and should not do here. Plus, you whine more than most people here.. and you do it about other people, which is worse than doing it about the game. (The forum is here for feedback about the game, not about other players.)
    The major missing part of your essay is that it reinforces the false dichotomy: "F2P", whereby you seem to mean people who spend no money at all, and "P2P", meaning "whales" who spend thousands of dollars on chromium packs. There is a lot of room in between these extremes. You do touch on this by mentioning small purchases, but overall there's too much "F2P vs. P2P" on this forum while ignoring the big part in the middle.
    There are people who have achieved great success as pure F2P. Others have done even better with small expenditures, such as $5 packs or crystal subs. There are also people like myself, whom I call "dolphins"... we spend more than the average player but don't play the chromium lottery. I have so far spent about $100-120 on the game, and I am doing just fine. (I could do better in Arena and probably beat anyone there except for a couple of whales, but I just don't care that much about it.) This is a sizable amount of money, but again, many people spend that much a week on lottery tickets or dining out or whatever. This is just another form of entertainment.
    Finally, I think the most important point to emphasize is that this is a GAME, and it should be about having fun. This is often lost. It's easy to get wrapped up in the competitive aspects.. but that doesn't have to be the case. I for one enjoy the game much more when I simply focus on building my team, and only worry about ending up in the top 20 or 50 in Arena and not the top 5. It's not worth the aggravation to me to deal with the clock-watching and sniping. Many people just enjoy the gameplay and collecting characters and trying out combos.. and that's all they need to do.

I knew you would come and post a lengthy reply you're so predictable. I think you knew by the term "whiners" it was directed exactly to players like yourself. You are quick to complain about any and everything. I could have told you long ago that your "stun" team was a failure waiting to happen. So instead of admitting you made mistakes on your choices of farming you instead make it your life mission to call for nerfs to all the other class combos that people did invest in that do work. And thats the brutal truth tho I know you won't admit it. And you may not know where the meta is heading because you're not at the top to see the conversion that's taking over Arena. But continue doing what you do and good luck with that "LOL stun team".
  • WhipiT
    591 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Shewski wrote: »
    Good post. I think my frustration as a F2P is when I'm up against the $2k whales. That gets frustrating, but I feel no need to rant on the forums. I like the challenge of figuring a way to combat them, and I like having $2k that I didn't invest in pixels. But I do appreciate you supporting the game and keeping it going!!

Hey I have trouble with whales myself. They have such a wide range of selection they can create those awesome synergies. I'm more of a energy buyer these days so like f2p I have to invest long term in characters as I won't be buying them.....i dont think lol. But that's ok I need to learn more patience in general anyways.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    WhipiT wrote: »
    I knew you would come and post a lengthy reply you're so predictable. I think you knew by the term "whiners" it was directed exactly to players like yourself.
    Once again, rather than discuss the topic, you move straight to personal attacks.
    You are quick to complain about any and everything.
    I complain about things I think are problems. And I provide reasons and arguments why I think they are. I also applaud things I think are well done. I call things as I see them.
    I could have told you long ago that your "stun" team was a failure waiting to happen.
    Very good! One problem: I already knew it wouldn't be competitive in the current meta when I made it. I never intended it to be, it was an experiment, and I said that here weeks ago.
    So instead of admitting you made mistakes on your choices of farming you instead make it your life mission to call for nerfs to all the other class combos that people did invest in that do work.
    They weren't a mistake. I like playing interesting teams, not chasing metas.
    And thats the brutal truth tho I know you won't admit it. But continue doing what you do and good luck with that "LOL stun team".
    My "LOL stun team" gets into the top 10 or 20 on my server every day (depending on how much time I devote between 5 and 6) despite not being optimized, and could get into the top 5 if I cared enough to bother.
    Even if I finished #1 every day, I would say the exact same things I have been saying about characters such as Poe and FOTP. They are broken. You won't even attempt to rebutt the points I made, you just resort to flaming. That says a lot.
    Thanks for your "civil and constructive" response. We can all see how important that is to you.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Pointless. I think you give to much suggestions on what people should do, now i want to make a suggest to you: You spend too much time in this forum . And in this game. Get a life.
  • HDShizz wrote: »

Having played tons of mobile games, patience is not a valid factor if you like to fully utilise a character like Darth Maul :)

Sides, many of the players who spend do have the finances for doing it. And they do have patience; reason why a lot are waiting for the level increase and new characters to start spending at volume again.
    *hints at devs*

Indeed! I buy crystals only for energy atm. But after the update if it's done right...I might loosen the wallet. Time will tell.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    I knew you would come and post a lengthy reply you're so predictable. I think you knew by the term "whiners" it was directed exactly to players like yourself.
    Once again, rather than discuss the topic, you move straight to personal attacks.
    You are quick to complain about any and everything.
    I complain about things I think are problems. And I provide reasons and arguments why I think they are. I also applaud things I think are well done. I call things as I see them.
    I could have told you long ago that your "stun" team was a failure waiting to happen.
    Very good! One problem: I already knew it wouldn't be competitive in the current meta when I made it. I never intended it to be, it was an experiment, and I said that here weeks ago.
    So instead of admitting you made mistakes on your choices of farming you instead make it your life mission to call for nerfs to all the other class combos that people did invest in that do work.
    They weren't a mistake. I like playing interesting teams, not chasing metas.
    And thats the brutal truth tho I know you won't admit it. But continue doing what you do and good luck with that "LOL stun team".
    My "LOL stun team" gets into the top 10 or 20 on my server every day (depending on how much time I devote between 5 and 6) despite not being optimized, and could get into the top 5 if I cared enough to bother.
    Even if I finished #1 every day, I would say the exact same things I have been saying about characters such as Poe and FOTP. They are broken. You won't even attempt to rebutt the points I made, you just resort to flaming. That says a lot.
    Thanks for your "civil and constructive" response. We can all see how important that is to you.

Just leave dude. Asking nicely just please leave the thread. You do this in every thread and I am embarrassed for you lol.
  • Willyfett wrote: »
    Pointless. I think you give to much suggestions on what people should do, now i want to make a suggest to you: You spend too much time in this forum . And in this game. Get a life.
    And you are who?
  • WhipiT wrote: »
    Willyfett wrote: »
    Pointless. I think you give to much suggestions on what people should do, now i want to make a suggest to you: You spend too much time in this forum . And in this game. Get a life.
    And you are who?

Your guardian angel
  • Azraelrulez
    1908 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    All this hate between some F2P and P2W folks, as a PC gamer, the only worthwhile F2P games were pirated versions of paid games. I believe the rates charged for IAPs are atrocious compared to what I used to think were high rates for PC/ console games. But I also believe this setup works in giving high quality games to folks with a tight budget or dis- inclination to pay for their entertainment a legal and ethical way out. Who am I to argue if the so called whales want to pay those (atrocious to some) rates to subsidise the F2P? And what's wrong if they get a time and multiple choice advantage for their generosity/ stupidity (depending on POV, lol)? This whole P2W started because a beep lot of gamers were not ready to pay even once for their daily entertainment spanning months and years. I paid what I wanted to, I'm enjoying the game without spending tons, others are doing so without spending a penny.

The thread started out fine and I can see some beep creeping in. To those folks, get a life. Put your money where your mouth is. If you are so enraged about the inconsistencies in the game, drop out or pay up. Either way, you'll feel a lot better without spiting anyone else.

Others, free or paid, let's just enjoy the game and fun discussions about the same.
  • Whales, Dolphins, you're all Cetaceans to me ;)

@Qeltar another great post as always.

@WhipiT when you say 'competatively' I interpret that loosely. Say for example the top 50 on my shard are all P2W, that doesn't bother me as I'll probably never get close enough to the top 50 to even notice changes in the meta. Most F2P will be on the bottom of the pyramid and won't ever face 7* Leias or whatever. So it actually won't affect many people at all. So competitively to me is breaking the top 100 (which I've done once, 97!! Yeah!!!!).

Also I've mentioned it before, just like Qeltar said. F2P vs P2W is a spectrum. There is no 'vs' it is simply '&'. Starting a thread with that title will immediately put off a lot of people *cue Ewok's troll posts :) * who will come in here to flame you just because of that.

BTW I think that P2W players are an extremely important part of the game, like beta players they have some sort of responsibility in accurately assessing what is and isn't OP. For example I can't comment on heroes like Leia and Poe as I don't face them or use them. But for players like you and Qeltar who actually see them your opinion matter a lot more than some level 50 scrub who's throwing a tantrum because he just got beat in Arena.

So thank you to both of you and everyone else for being the voice of reason, sometimes :p
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • I think the problem is that its not like hearthstone or LOL.. In hearthstone or LOL everything is free to play.
    In LOL u can use your money on skins but money dont make you an adavantage skilled players will still beat u if u have money. In hearthstone money only faster your progress.. You can unlock adventures for money or buy packs.It will faster your progress but f2p players can buy it too for ingame gold..Its much slower ofc.
    But in Star Wars Heroes There is content whichj f2p users simply cannot use Its like a lock. Im not saying p2p is bad or anything, only thing I would want to see is f2p content and money help you progress much faster than f2p players. For example If Qui Gon is the new meta F2P players simply cant be part of the meta..Its like a lock on their PVP progress. I think the solution would be to make chromium pack characters usable by F2P players but with higher shard cap. Like you can buy Qui Gon with shard but it would cost like 150-200shards. It would be accesible to F2P players but P2P players would have the nice advantage as they should.

Please dont flame me. Its only my opinion. If you dont agree just give me reasons or so.. :)
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    I like the post whipit but I also appreciate Queltar pointing a major false dichotomy on the forums. I've paid probably 200 bucks since starting. This makes me probably an above average spender but no whale either. If the game caters to whales too much it actually damages gameplay for everyone. Paying to get ahead faster, meh no real hurt. Believing someone who spends thousands of dollars should be entitled to win... Nah.
  • Good read @WhipiT , thanks for putting the efforts to write this and I as FTP agreed 100% about what you said.
  • Wow. I do not understand this debate at all. I am FTP, and I have a friggin fantastic time with this game. I am consistently 50-100 in the arena, but honestly would be happy with anything above 200. I win GW about 75% of the time. Every match I have in Arena and GW is at least competitive, and again I usually win. If I lost 50% more that I do now, I'd still win more than I lose. I guess I'm not encountering these "whales" people speak of.

I'm actually LOOKING FORWARD to getting away from Sid, Lumi, and JC. There will always been farmable characters who have game.

Plus, I anticipate the # of FTP players will increase at a larger rate than P2P players, meaning there will always be good balance.

Maybe I'm naive but I sort of just don't get it.
  • do you guys realize if there was not people that pay for anything in the game there would absolutely be no business model to create the game in the first place. I have never understood this type of discussion.
  • do you guys realize if there was not people that pay for anything in the game there would absolutely be no business model to create the game in the first place. I have never understood this type of discussion.

But do you really want to play a game that you win by paying the most money?

Without competition from Ftp players It would turn into a game where only the people that spend the most are playing against each other and trying to out spend each other to be "first". That's great for the devs in the short run but most people will just quit over time and the game will die.

It's better to have 2000 people paying $20 then one dude spending $2000. Most people would quit once they realize they would have to be a whale to compete instead of buying small amounts here and there.
  • warmonkey wrote: »

It's better to have 2000 people paying $20 then one dude spending $2000. Most people would quit once they realize they would have to be a whale to compete instead of buying small amounts here and there.

And you know this how? Where is your business model? Do you have millions of dollars of market and f2p business model information at your disposal? There is obviously a reason these type of f2p are constantly being created and reinvented in different themes to cater to a different audience. There is obviously some tweaking that goes on along the way but it's ultimately no different then farmville.
  • Im firmly in the mindset that they can make more money if they offer a store with single character purchases for specific characters. Or you can take a random pack. Even if its 10 dollars for a single base character. multiple purchases will be converted to shards. This way you can pay more for a guaranteed character rather than pure random chance.
    Ingame name Daremo
    Player Ally Code: 631-533-975
  • Ring
    559 posts Member
    You know, @WhipiT , for someone who's asking for "civil and constructive responses", you make a heck of a lot of derogatory comments. P2P players complain, F2P players whine. P2P players should share their knowledge, F2P players should be grateful they're getting help. And so on. It's a shame you do not see the irony of the situation - complaining so much about the "whiners" actually makes you one of them.

I have a LOT of respect for you as a very knowledgeable person when it comes to this game, I've seen you offer advice and suggestion to many players, but on a personal level you sometimes come across about as friendly as a piranha with a toothache. Yes, there are many people complaining about the various aspects of GoH, but you get them everywhere, in every game. Generalizing and putting the equal sign between F2P players and "whiners" is unfair to the former. Not every F2P player is a "whiner" and not every "whiner" is a F2P player.
  • Hey guys let's not forgot that all content is available. F2p players can buy packs using in game earnt crystals. Yes it would take a ridiculous time to max out a toon in such a way but you cannot claim the content is locked.

The gate is open to everyone but it's 1000 miles away and f2p are walking there whilst others are taking the car or plane.
  • warmonkey wrote: »
    do you guys realize if there was not people that pay for anything in the game there would absolutely be no business model to create the game in the first place. I have never understood this type of discussion.

Without competition from Ftp players It would turn into a game where only the people that spend the most are playing against each other and trying to out spend each other to be "first". That's great for the devs in the short run but most people will just quit over time and the game will die.

Sorry but in this scenario you have one outstanding player and 1999 who are competitive with each other. That's a lot of competition, and guess what, if you want to stand out from the 1999 you need to pay a little more..
  • Harmson wrote: »
    Im firmly in the mindset that they can make more money if they offer a store with single character purchases for specific characters. Or you can take a random pack. Even if its 10 dollars for a single base character. multiple purchases will be converted to shards. This way you can pay more for a guaranteed character rather than pure random chance.

you are firmly in the mindset because of what research? Just a hunch? These companies must all be stupid then. How about you look up their revenue numbers.. Well here is mine.

"Digi-Capital forecasts that games software revenue will grow from $88 billion in 2015 to $110 billion by 2018 at 8% annual growth."

"Mobile games revenue from 29Billion in 2015 to 45Billion by 2018"

"90% of all the revenues from the entire app store is generated by free to play games. 23 out of the top 25 Grossing apps/games are free to play games "

http://www.digi-capital.com/news/2015/05/games-leaders-to-dominate-45-billion-mobile-games-revenue-forecast-by-2018/#.Vpf-11JQfXF

• FLIK87 wrote: »
    warmonkey wrote: »
    do you guys realize if there was not people that pay for anything in the game there would absolutely be no business model to create the game in the first place. I have never understood this type of discussion.

Sorry but in this scenario you have one outstanding player and 1999 who are competitive with each other. That's a lot of competition, and guess what, if you want to stand out from the 1999 you need to pay a little more..

But if you pay $1000 do you want to constantly lose vs someone who paid $3000? Or at some point do you want skill and time invested to matter more than who paid the most
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    HDShizz wrote: »
    The F2P is so overwhelming already, I don't understand how anyone would want to spend an outrageous amount of money on a mobile game just to unlock a character. I barely purchase DLC on the Xbox One, look at games like these and simply play it for fun and as I unlock items and achievements, the time put in seems worth it. Then you have folks that don't mind throwing down a few hundred here and there to purchase crystals (which they can get for free, daily...) in bulk.

Everybody spend time farming to get their chars. Some people farm the game itself, some other people preffer to grind hours at their job, get some $, and use it in the game. For exsmple, farming Kylo needs some extended time, probably hours. Buying him is a 100$ bundle. If someone earns 100$ in a couple of hours at their job, "working" for Kylo in-gsme for more than a few hours is pointless. It's faster to spend those extra hours in your daily job and pay the one hundred Bucks.

As you said, time is money. Everybody pays for their toons, either with time or money. Then it depends how valuable is it for you one hour of your time compared to 100$ of your money.