Spenders vs Free to Play

Replies

• There's always a bigger fish. And there are massively diminishing returns to spending more and more. I shudder to think how many crystals are wasted by players trying to unlock a 7 star leia when they receive crystals for characters they already have.

Ultimately skill and time invested will be the leveller as given enough of both you can unlock your own 7 star leia through bronzium and crystals you earn in game.

There is also in game luck and plenty of strategy to work with in order to gain a competitive edge.

This game would not exist unless people paid money to get ahead. People will naturally find their level in terms of willingness to spend money on a form of entertainment. If you spend 1000 to get ahead of everyone who spends less then you also have to expect to be behind those spending more.

If that doesn't float your boat, don't try to compete at the top.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    warmonkey wrote: »

It's better to have 2000 people paying $20 then one dude spending $2000. Most people would quit once they realize they would have to be a whale to compete instead of buying small amounts here and there.

And you know this how? Where is your business model? Do you have millions of dollars of market and f2p business model information at your disposal? There is obviously a reason these type of f2p are constantly being created and reinvented in different themes to cater to a different audience. There is obviously some tweaking that goes on along the way but it's ultimately no different then farmville.

20*2000= 40000. 1*2000=2000

I don't have a business model or anything though.
  • I'm staying out of this one other than to say that there is not enough variety right now. If you put Leia for example as a shard to get in level 7 Cantina instead of another Kylo Ren, f2p players can slowly get that variety in there as well and those of us willing to spend a reasonable amount would continue to do so.
    ☮ Consular ☮ Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. -Ben Kenobi
  • I'm a f2p player and I have no issues with the fact there is and always will be a ceiling on me compared to those p2p players. I do think there is a tiny bit more imbalance than there probably should be but any f2p player crying they can't compete at the very top end is IMO, silly.

No f2p player should be some big arena head (meaning it is what they focus on and they care a lot about where they rank) and if they are, I have to somewhat laugh at them. If arena is that important to you then go fork out some cash.

Shard drop rates are a bit too low but other than that, the app seems like it is decently done to keep feeding f2p players some nuggets and let them build pretty good squads rather than make it a pain for them to build a team so I give Capital games credit for that.

I regularly finish in the top 100-200 in arena and have and am still building a nice team after 6 weeks and that is only using the 5 freebie fights per day so I could break 100 if I wanted to use more energy. The point is, I get 700 shards a day plus the daily objective bonus so that's 10 shards a day from arena shipments and it is easy to stick with that and build up the team.

The only question is whether I'll become fully bored with the game sooner than later (it's getting to the point of me losing all interest since it's just repetition every day) but paying to build up the team wouldn't change that.
  • Triqui wrote: »
    As you said, time is money. Everybody pays for their toons, either with time or money. Then it depends how valuable is it for you one hour of your time compared to 100$ of your money.

Bingo
  • warmonkey wrote: »
    FLIK87 wrote: »
    do you guys realize if there was not people that pay for anything in the game there would absolutely be no business model to create the game in the first place. I have never understood this type of discussion.

But do you really want to play a game that you win by paying the most money?

Without competition from Ftp players It would turn into a game where only the people that spend the most are playing against each other and trying to out spend each other to be "first". That's great for the devs in the short run but most people will just quit over time and the game will die.

It's better to have 2000 people paying $20 then one dude spending $2000. Most people would quit once they realize they would have to be a whale to compete instead of buying small amounts here and there.

Sorry but in this scenario you have one outstanding player and 1999 who are competitive with each other. That's a lot of competition, and guess what, if you want to stand out from the 1999 you need to pay a little more..

But if you pay $1000 do you want to constantly lose vs someone who paid $3000? Or at some point do you want skill and time invested to matter more than who paid the most

I think the more realistic question here is who in the hell is that much of a try-hard on a mobile game that they end up spending more money on in-game purchases than the device that they're playing it on? =/
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    J7000 wrote: »

And you know this how? Where is your business model? Do you have millions of dollars of market and f2p business model information at your disposal? There is obviously a reason these type of f2p are constantly being created and reinvented in different themes to cater to a different audience. There is obviously some tweaking that goes on along the way but it's ultimately no different then farmville.

20*2000= 40000. 1*2000=2000

I don't have a business model or anything though.

The question here is how many people willing to spend 20$ in a mobile game you csn find, tho.
    Even then, EA's goal is to get money from both the 20$ guy and the 2000$ guy
  • l3end3r
    895 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    WhipiT wrote: »
    Qeltar wrote: »
    The call for being civil and constructive is nice to read. It would be good if you could also apply this to your constant complaining about other posters here.
    That said, there are some valid points in this post. Also some incorrect claims, and some important missing elements.
    "They won't nerf hard to farm characters. They won't nerf chrono only characters." -- They already have.
    Due to the complexities involved in interactions among characters, sometimes the designers create monsters that they didn't anticipate. These need to be tamed. Sometimes these are chrono chars. Sometimes F2P. There are currently several broken/OP characters, some of which are P2P and some of which are F2P. They need to be fixed to ensure game balance.
    Flaming and/or mocking everyone who points out that there are imbalances is uncivil and unconstructive.
    "Learn to let go of Luminara/Sid/JC. .. They were great pre 60 but are getting outdated due to the meta changing to damage over defense." -- Written literally hours before a new update. We have no idea what the meta will be now. And F2P / low-P2P players don't have the option of simply "letting go" of their best chars, whom they put all their resources into. I seriously doubt Sid and Lumi are going to become bad options for F2P after this update, even if they aren't as dominant as they are at present.
    "Don't whine on the forums." -- Until you get a "Mod" tag next to your name, you have no business telling other people what they should and should not do here. Plus, you whine more than most people here.. and you do it about other people, which is worse than doing it about the game. (The forum is here for feedback about the game, not about other players.)
    The major missing part of your essay is that it reinforces the false dichotomy: "F2P", whereby you seem to mean people who spend no money at all, and "P2P", meaning "whales" who spend thousands of dollars on chromium packs. There is a lot of room in between these extremes. You do touch on this by mentioning small purchases, but overall there's too much "F2P vs. P2P" on this forum while ignoring the big part in the middle.
    There are people who have achieved great success as pure F2P. Others have done even better with small expenditures, such as $5 packs or crystal subs. There are also people like myself, whom I call "dolphins"... we spend more than the average player but don't play the chromium lottery. I have so far spent about $100-120 on the game, and I am doing just fine. (I could do better in Arena and probably beat anyone there except for a couple of whales, but I just don't care that much about it.) This is a sizable amount of money, but again, many people spend that much a week on lottery tickets or dining out or whatever. This is just another form of entertainment.
    Finally, I think the most important point to emphasize is that this is a GAME, and it should be about having fun. This is often lost. It's easy to get wrapped up in the competitive aspects.. but that doesn't have to be the case. I for one enjoy the game much more when I simply focus on building my team, and only worry about ending up in the top 20 or 50 in Arena and not the top 5. It's not worth the aggravation to me to deal with the clock-watching and sniping. Many people just enjoy the gameplay and collecting characters and trying out combos.. and that's all they need to do.

I knew you would come and post a lengthy reply you're so predictable. I think you knew by the term "whiners" it was directed exactly to players like yourself. You are quick to complain about any and everything. I could have told you long ago that your "stun" team was a failure waiting to happen. So instead of admitting you made mistakes on your choices of farming you instead make it your life mission to call for nerfs to all the other class combos that people did invest in that do work. And thats the brutal truth tho I know you won't admit it. And you may not know where the meta is heading because you're not at the top to see the conversion that's taking over Arena. But continue doing what you do and good luck with that "LOL stun team".

To be fair your original post was pretty much complaining about some misconception that most F2P Players are always whining. I really don't see very many complaints on here, more of a, "How do I beat xyz team?", which is constructive. Leia was the only character I had an issue with, because she was bugged and is now fixed :)

Other than that, I hope they one day rotate the P2P characters into arena/ cantina/ GW shipments. Probably won't happen, but one can wish.

Yes, P2P players have an advantage, but there's no reason F2P players can't take top 5 in arena with an elite F2P team. Personally, I like the challenge of being the underdog. Trying to optimize a team using very finite resources makes the meta-game more strategic and fun for me.
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I knew you would come and post a lengthy reply you're so predictable. I think you knew by the term "whiners" it was directed exactly to players like yourself. You are quick to complain about any and everything.

I'm really insulted right now because I thought I was the one of the worst so to know now that you didn't mention me as well, I'm just hurt, sniff, sniff. Anyway, I'm surprised @EA_Jesse didn't edit that comment above out of your post for being inflammatory, but I digress. Let's cover your post!!!
    • This post only really provided one solution for F2P players and that was to let go of Luminara and Sidious down the road, so now the F2P players who only had Luminara and Sidious as their "all-stars" have now been told that they'll be useless soon and they'll be even further behind than before, great way to excite the player right before the update. I was waiting to hear my dog would be dead on the floor when I got home too just to really make my day, happy times!!!
    • I didn't know a $5 investment in the game would make much difference as you put it, maybe more like 10 simultaneous subscriptions to keep up with the whales perhaps.
    • I almost felt depressed reading because the overall tone was basically, if you are F2P you have three options, let go of your best players who took you months to build, quit whining and spend money. That will not bring players to the table, only scare them away from it more quickly. As you said "This is not a soapbox post nor an instigating post. Just the cold hard truths that at some point f2p will have to accept and adapt. Or quit." Isn't that a cheerful outlook for 98% of the players out there who've spent months building teams but don't have a fortune for IAP. Oh well guys, just crawl back into your holes and die you bunch of unworthy low lives, and be quiet while you do it as well!!!
    • I've been different than most so character nerfs are not my topic of conversation, so nerf away, I don't care

You didn't have much to offer any insight to P2P players at all other than to be nice to the lowly F2P players as if we are those kids starving in Africa. This is the kind of depressing post that even I couldn't muster. Using a Star Wars term, you basically "Order 66'd" the entire F2P player base with this post and simply magnified all the difficulty we will have down the road and that this game was built not for the 98% of players playing, but for those 2% of whales and that we're lucky to be here as cannon fodder for the elite players to beat up on, this is just so terrible....
  • WhipiT wrote: »
    Just leave dude. Asking nicely just please leave the thread. You do this in every thread and I am embarrassed for you lol.

That's just not cool on so many levels. I know you got it like that and mentioned you've bought some hefty IAP, so you'll never understand why people argue these things you find petty...

Without competition from Ftp players It would turn into a game where only the people that spend the most are playing against each other and trying to out spend each other to be "first". That's great for the devs in the short run but most people will just quit over time and the game will die.

Ding, ding, ding!!! This is where the money is truly at clearly, one million+ downloads, how many are whales, hmmm.....
  • HDShizz wrote: »
    I think the more realistic question here is who in the hell is that much of a try-hard on a mobile game that they end up spending more money on in-game purchases than the device that they're playing it on? =/

I've said this before and people called me a crazy whiner, beware.....
  • Smite
    259 posts Member
    I spend a couple of thousand bucks into the game and I enjoy the comfort of not spending time on farming.

Instead I can try all kind of combinations and synergy combos right from the start. I like PVP and even to farm for a level cap is a pain in the neck. Finally I got a 7* Leia and 250 useless shards from her. But who cares when you want a special toon to spice up your team synergies.

Also I don't like the idea spending time on more easy farmable toons and to find out that they are useless in PVP and I have to start over again. And farming was a routine that got me bored very quickly. I have only this one short life and I won't spend my time on boredoom.

Some may have extended knowlegde of which toon gives what kind of buffs or debuffs or can synergise with others, but takes lightyears to find and pamper them. All that knowlegde, but only one lifetime to achive it. So how terrible is wisdom, when it brings no profit to the wise. :wink:

Ok, patience is not my virtoue - so and what?!

And they say time is money - and you know what: they are right! :smiley:
  • Let's face it @WhipiT is the Trump of this forum, and @Qeltar is the Sanders. IRL I'm with you Q, but this a game who's existence is to make money through a delicate balance of having enough players willing to spend an extreme amount vs. everyone else, regardless if they spend nothing, 20$ or 1000$. It's well established that gaming apps derive 50% of their revenue from the top 1% of players. Once someone figures out a business model(if there even is) for apps that's better, that's the way it will remain. Free or moderate spending players will get their initial gratification, then as the app matures, the top 1% of paying players will get distinct advantages for the money they have spent, as they should. For non 1% players, it's on to the next app and the next instant gratification. There's only a shelf life of two years or so anyway. Unless the devs can hold the 1% playing. They are going to play something, and once an app reaches a certain time since inception, all updates by necessity will cater to them. This isn't outlandish, just plain common sense.
  • Pro tip: Don't get rid of Sidious.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Smite wrote: »
    I spend a couple of thousand bucks into the game and I enjoy the comfort of not spending time on farming.

Instead I can try all kind of combinations and synergy combos right from the start. I like PVP and even to farm for a level cap is a pain in the neck. Finally I got a 7* Leia and 250 useless shards from her. But who cares when you want a special toon to spice up your team synergies.

Also I don't like the idea spending time on more easy farmable toons and to find out that they are useless in PVP and I have to start over again. And farming was a routine that got me bored very quickly. I have only this one short life and I won't spend my time on boredoom.

Some may have extended knowlegde of which toon gives what kind of buffs or debuffs or can synergise with others, but takes lightyears to find and pamper them. All that knowlegde, but only one lifetime to achive it. So how terrible is wisdom, when it brings no profit to the wise. :wink:

That absolutely should be your reward. You have a strong advantage and get to play around. This doesn't break the game either imo. Your team can still be beaten by f2p but only skilled players. I don't see anything wrong with that.
  • Smite wrote: »

Whatever floats your boat. I'm glad that your bills are paid well enough and your life is in order well enough that you can drop that much on a mobile game and not have a care in the World. Feels good? Wait until you wake up and realize that you're a try hard on a mobile game that just spent thousands to unlock a character (singular, not plural) that could be unlocked by farming and getting free crystals everyday.
  • shimmy wrote: »
    I'm a f2p player and I have no issues with the fact there is and always will be a ceiling on me compared to those p2p players. I do think there is a tiny bit more imbalance than there probably should be but any f2p player crying they can't compete at the very top end is IMO, silly.

No f2p player should be some big arena head (meaning it is what they focus on and they care a lot about where they rank) and if they are, I have to somewhat laugh at them. If arena is that important to you then go fork out some cash.

Shard drop rates are a bit too low but other than that, the app seems like it is decently done to keep feeding f2p players some nuggets and let them build pretty good squads rather than make it a pain for them to build a team so I give Capital games credit for that.

I regularly finish in the top 100-200 in arena and have and am still building a nice team after 6 weeks and that is only using the 5 freebie fights per day so I could break 100 if I wanted to use more energy. The point is, I get 700 shards a day plus the daily objective bonus so that's 10 shards a day from arena shipments and it is easy to stick with that and build up the team.

The only question is whether I'll become fully bored with the game sooner than later (it's getting to the point of me losing all interest since it's just repetition every day) but paying to build up the team wouldn't change that.

Awesome post. F2P player here too and agree with everything you said. Even the repetition part. That's probably why I like the Galactic War the best. I like making crazy team and seeing how far they can go. I also haven't unlocked all the game modes yet.
  • Arijit wrote: »
    They should have an award or tag for arena top 10 finish weekly basis irrespective of 6 pm deadline.

Someone else is in Alaska (or somewhere else in the same time zone)
  • moddom wrote: »
    Pro tip: Don't get rid of Sidious.

+1
    Star Wars: Galaxy of Supporting Cast Members
    do you guys realize if there was not people that pay for anything in the game there would absolutely be no business model to create the game in the first place. I have never understood this type of discussion.

+1
    Games that are successful over a long period of time cater to the casual not the big spenders. And with the games current model I think it is pretty dumb to spend casually.
    Star Wars: Galaxy of Supporting Cast Members
  • They need an ignore feature on the forums which also prevents the person from seeing what you write. Problem solved.

Qeltar is the town know-it-all. Ewok is the village troll.
  • Raven
    113 posts Member
    Whales, Dolphins, you're all Cetaceans to me ;)

So thank you to both of you and everyone else for being the voice of reason, sometimes :p

@cosmicturtle333 i love you! not in real life tho but yeah, what you said is really what i was thinking of!

@Qeltar I agree with what you said, keep having fun and do share with us the results of your experiment.

@WhipiT great post, and your usual contribution to the forum is actually pretty helpful. though your reply seems a bit, annoyed (angry much)? Hope you can keep contributing though.

This is not just a game guys, this is a part of the Star Wars galaxy. Lets keep it cool? :)
  • This is a great post, so thank you. I agree with most of it, but I do, to an extent, understand player frustrations on some characters needing nerfed or buffed, regardless of whether or not they are P2P or F2P. Assuming it's just F2P is not accurate.
    Some characters are just too imbalanced, and everyone knows it. So we farm or spend on the good ones, and for the most part, ignore the weak ones. But then we start to see to much repetition.
    How many times do we see the same characters? I get the point from the original post on Sid, Lumi, and JC, and I also empathize with responses that why should people give them up when they invested so much time or money.
    And that's the point... If I've spent time and money I don't want the character to be obsolete, so there still needs to be value. And I'm sure there is, I think the original point was that maybe not as OP as people once thought.
    Force Awakens characters had to be popularized, I get that, but Phasma, Poe and FOTP seem to add a bit much (that's not bias, I rely hugely on Poe myself). Some characters have great synergies impacting anyone and everyone, whilst others only certain allies, and other stats don't seem to compensate. Look at the SWGOHCantina lists, and look at the ones further down the list... Not many really add that much via synergies, so unless early doors you pulled a character that was higher stats than your others, or unless you just fancy experimenting a bit, you're unlikely to progress these ones much.
    Synergies should be important, so should skills that effect the team, and so should individual stats. I think this game is excellent and I get a lot of enjoyment from it (which is why I'm happy to spend a lot on it) but I still think it's early days and EA will improve it more. Characters need to be balanced... Not equalized, but balanced. Imbalances are easy enough to spot.
    Without more balance, we'll have repetition... The same characters appearing, and the same counters, and that will make the game dull. If the game gets dull, people will move on to other games, spenders or not, and that's not good for any of us.
    So I'm not looking for nerds, but some more boosts perhaps to a few characters to balance them, and ensure that there is continued variety... And that will lead to more fun.
  • The funniest thing about some whales is that by the time they leave the game they just write google/appstore that they want their money back and most of the time they get what they ask for.
    I know a guy who got ~2000$ back because of the shard display bug when buying big packs. By the time he got his 2000 $ refunded he reinvested it so he got stuff worth of 4000 $ the half prize..... so yeah living the whales life.
  • WhipiT wrote: »
    Just leave dude. Asking nicely just please leave the thread. You do this in every thread and I am embarrassed for you lol.

I'm sorry the only one that embarrasses themselves daily is you. The passive aggressive comments you make while playing the self appointed role of forum police is ammusing and worth noting in regards to your character. You flame other forum users constantly and you have no discretion on who you target (i.e. a first time poster or a knowledgable veteran). If anyone needs a "time out" it would be you.
  • FLIK87 wrote: »
    Hey guys let's not forgot that all content is available. F2p players can buy packs using in game earnt crystals. Yes it would take a ridiculous time to max out a toon in such a way but you cannot claim the content is locked.

The gate is open to everyone but it's 1000 miles away and f2p are walking there whilst others are taking the car or plane.

If you are saying farming Qui Gon to 7* for F2P player is not impossible then your mind is ... Locked the good word for getting Qui Gon for F2P.
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    My advice to a F2P - build what you like...chasing meta is sorta worthless anyway and will be hard to do. Honestly the PVP / arena prizes aren't much better for #1 than they are for the top 200. Have fun. However at least right now and if you so choose....you can easily chase meta by unlocking Poe / Poggle and other high damage / fast attackers. I assume most already have Sid. G. Soldier is great as are 86/88.

Oh...and as mentioned above, Sidious gets relatively better at g8 / level 61-70. That dude is so freaking fast now at 153 - just got him over 5k total power. He's a maniac.

Regarding the OP - I agree with WhipITs general sentiment that all the F2P / P2P stuff is really terrible and make the forums a horrible place to visit. It's really pointless. I've seen some P2P say really nasty stuff and I've seen F2P taunt P2P for being wasteful and lack intelligence (no strats). This is just entertainment. People value different entertainment at varying levels and all of it could be considered wasteful. If someone has a lot of fun using one finger to tap a screen and acquire pixels for $1000s and win economically worthless prizes in the process, well that's their choice if they consider it fun. I'm sure everyone here has some wasteful spending habits that they use for entertainment purposes. Let's just have fun and stop pointless judging and bickering.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    HDShizz wrote: »
    Smite wrote: »

Whatever floats your boat. I'm glad that your bills are paid well enough and your life is in order well enough that you can drop that much on a mobile game and not have a care in the World. Feels good? Wait until you wake up and realize that you're a try hard on a mobile game that just spent thousands to unlock a character (singular, not plural) that could be unlocked by farming and getting free crystals everyday.

Some people spend more than that to refill the gasoline of their Ferraris, or pay 200$ for a bottle of wine when they to out to have dinner. Some people have more money than others, and they spend it on things they like
  • Rogan_Ban84
    1415 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Willyfett wrote: »
    Willyfett wrote: »
    Pointless. I think you give to much suggestions on what people should do, now i want to make a suggest to you: You spend too much time in this forum . And in this game. Get a life.
    And you are who?

Your guardian angel