Player Created Galactic War posts - MERGED HERE

Replies

• Eaywen wrote: »
    They knew this would make people angry so they just snidely fail to mention it in the patch notes. As if we wouldn't immediately notice they just ruined the most significant content in the game.

I'm sitting here shaking my head.

By finally adding a challenge to the game. They ruined it.

I don't mind a challenge, but full clears will now be virtually impossible if the AI targets your heals. There are only a handful of healers in the game. Time to level any characters with self healing.
  • Yep, can't beat the next squad, too many good units wounded, can't get a heal off. Can't get buy with Bigs Greedo and Resitance trooper softening them up so I can swap someone else in when the dust settles. First Galactic war in weeks over in the middle because there's no way to come back against a full squad of epic 60's when all your best characters are below half health from the last two fights.

• Cpt_Dan wrote: »
    Eaywen wrote: »
    They knew this would make people angry so they just snidely fail to mention it in the patch notes. As if we wouldn't immediately notice they just ruined the most significant content in the game.

I'm sitting here shaking my head.

By finally adding a challenge to the game. They ruined it.

I don't mind a challenge, but full clears will now be virtually impossible if the AI targets your heals. There are only a handful of healers in the game. Time to level any characters with self healing.

Ya how can you say this is a challenge. My lev 52 vs 4 60 purples is not a challenge. Dooku's stun brought my 5 star phasma to low red, and sid's AOE brought all my toons below half health. Needless to say before i even got to attack I had 3 toons gone lol
  • Someone needs to come up with a better explanation for GW. I am playing GW now. Sometimes retreat works like before and sometimes like FC. I think it's a bug or there is a number of moves that needs to be played or it resets the battle. We need some clarification from the developers.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Retreat completely resets the entire battle. Your side and theirs. It is exactly like force close now.

I've tested it 10+ times in GW since the update.

It's a bit harder but I still got through it. I have faith in you guys.

GFT - Everyone needs to get in there and try it. The retreat was changed. It's like when Barris was balanced. It's been a couple of weeks and I'm still using her and I see her on a lot of teams.

Adjust!
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    Until it's explained completely, I am still going to use force close. Not worth retreating with a dead character, and not having them come back....

Unless of course force close is broken...
  • Smithie
    1427 posts Member
    I like this, its a may to stop force close now if you retreat it resets the entire match. If you arr unable to beat the GW without the old retreat then you are not strong enough
  • Hey everyone,

I'm REALLY sorry that the GW Retreat change went live without any announcement.

The explanation for how that happened is embarrassing - we assembled patch notes from a list of data changes, but the GW Retreat change was a server change. Server releases are always handled separately from data releases from a technical perspective, but sometimes they happen to occur on the same day. We are going to have a meeting to discuss how we can GUARANTEE that important server change with player-facing consequences are not released without accompanying patch notes again.

I wrote something to add to the patch notes, but I'm going to let Jesse edit his own post in a few minutes, so until then here's the explanation:

The functionality of Retreat has been changed so that it behaves the same as force-quitting the app. While we understand that many players relied on Retreating as part of their strategy, ultimately there were two different ways to leave a battle that didn’t behave the same way (Retreating, and force-quitting the app). We decided that in order to keep the experience fair and consistent, we would change the behavior of Retreat to work the same as force-quitting.

-Aaron
  • Adjust to what?
    The main thing that made it doable before was you could use your roster throughout each battle to make sure you had guys ready for the upcoming fights.

Now you just kinda have to plow through increasingly harder full health teams while not being able to micromanage your health and cool downs from fight to fight. Pulling someone out to save their life is pointless, you win with them almost dead or your restart the fight and do it over and over again and maybe they don't get hit as hard this time. It's dumb.

• Nicks075 wrote: »
    Nicks075 wrote: »
    Retreat still works it just resets the match, everyone is back to full health or whatever health you had when you started the match.
    Its pretty much is the same as result as force closing. I for one think it was a good idea, if a match doesnt go your, retreat and start again fresh. I lkke it. Plus no more complaints of force closing being cheating.
    Nicks075 wrote: »
    Retreat still works it just resets the match, everyone is back to full health or whatever health you had when you started the match.
    Its pretty much is the same as result as force closing. I for one think it was a good idea, if a match doesnt go your, retreat and start again fresh. I lkke it. Plus no more complaints of force closing being cheating.

If this is true, how is that making GW more of a Challenge? It makes it even easier since now you can keep treating till RNG favours you lol... Dooku didn't double Stun? Retreat till he does, Daka didn't revive? Retreat till she does lol...

It is true since i tried it. I never said in my post that it makes the game easier or harder. It does however make it free from exploits and cheating. The retreat cancelling debuffs was an exploit, force closing was considered by many cheating, both issues taken care of.
    I dont see why anyone has a problem with this, as you said you can keep retreating untill you get through the match in your favor. I guess people just need something to waa waa waaa about.

You misunderstood me, I wasn't referring to you about the game being easer or harder, but it was instead directed at the concept. The change (if it is a change and not a bug) makes GW easier than previously before for the reason I previously stated, as long as you're willing to put the time in, you can keep attempting matchs till luck favours you.
  • GW was too easy anyways.
  • Gabe
    36 posts Member
    From reading this post and doing half of my GW after the update I think it is pretty clear that this seems to be effecting everyone differently. Some people are having their characters and opponent's return after death. Some are just having people healed. I only retreated once maybe twice and neither time did people return from the dead. I didn't lose a single one so that is why mine didn't but when entering back in the other team was still down the amount they were before. I didn't notice the health bars, because i wasn't looking for it. I think everyone should test it out as much as possible and see if the EA or CG makes any statement. Come back with cooler heads and more info.
  • Would be nice to see this forum have an all-inclusive patch notes information page like HODA. This should have been discussed at some point. I haven't tried it yet, but in principle, the GW was already VERY difficult, anything making it harder to me must jight not be something I can live with, we shall see when I try it. I've won four times in four weeks, anything less than that to me would be pointless. It should not take half a year to finish one GW level and I have an L59 squad.
    IGN: jq
  • This is a terrible change.
    --Nud Stark--
  • How about they fix the line in the GW rules that says "Characters will regenerate some percentage of their health in between battles." Jerks
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Hey everyone,

The explanation for how that happened is embarrassing - we assembled patch notes from a list of data changes, but the GW Retreat change was a server change. Server releases are always handled separately from data releases from a technical perspective, but sometimes they happen to occur on the same day. We are going to have a meeting to discuss how we can GUARANTEE that important server change with player-facing consequences are not released without accompanying patch notes again.

I wrote something to add to the patch notes, but I'm going to let Jesse edit his own post in a few minutes, so until then here's the explanation:

The functionality of Retreat has been changed so that it behaves the same as force-quitting the app. While we understand that many players relied on Retreating as part of their strategy, ultimately there were two different ways to leave a battle that didn’t behave the same way (Retreating, and force-quitting the app). We decided that in order to keep the experience fair and consistent, we would change the behavior of Retreat to work the same as force-quitting.

-Aaron

@CG_AaronNemoyten Poor poor decision. I'm afraid this game is going down the typically dark path Star Wars games traditionally do.

There were two separate ways that functioned differently. So what? Everyone had access to them. That's fair and consistent.....
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Hey everyone,

-Aaron

It was already Fair and Consistent. I barely used Force Close ever unless I was testing out teams. The legitimate retreat option was far more useful. How about new content instead of making changes that I would venture would anger over 70 percent of your players.
  • Willziak wrote: »
    How about they fix the line in the GW rules that says "Characters will regenerate some percentage of their health in between battles." Jerks

Actually I think it might heal now! lol I like this update then if they toned down the difficulty of the second half of the matches.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    Telaan wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

-Aaron

Poor poor decision. I'm afraid this game is going down the typically dark path Star Wars games traditionally do.

There were two separate ways that functioned differently. So what? Everyone had access to them. That's fair and consistent.....
    LOL your response is gold. Have you not read the forums in the last week or two? The user base was fractured on if Force closing was a cheat or not. If it was intended by the developers or not. People wanted FC users to be BANNED. Now of all of a sudden the developers change it so that it behaves like FC, and we act like everyone was using these features and fine with them before. No, everyone wasn't. The user base was fractured and this was a solution to that fracture. Now we have 1 way it behaves (though reports show that sometimes it behaves like the old way) and this should cut down on confusion and requests for being banned.

Plus, retreating always felt broken. Oh, Darth Vaders only good move was cast... retreat, come back. Ah all is well.

Though, my biggest flaw with GW is that each new game starts off fresh for the opponent, but not for you. I don't get why they can always use their Chewie taunts turn 1, while mine will be on cool down :(

• Telaan wrote: »

@CG_AaronNemoyten Poor poor decision. I'm afraid this game is going down the typically dark path Star Wars games traditionally do.

I'm sorry but I don't accept your vague and presumptive "dark path" comment.

Many players considered force-quitting an exploit, and some considered Retreating an exploit. Neither of them are explicitly documented in the game. If we only have one, we're endorsing a method and establishing that we don't consider it an exploit.
  • Would be an interesting change if you were going against opponents that were within your power level I suppose. Could use your C team for early matches, then B, then A team for last few fights.

But with powers and health not resetting and going against opponents that are 8 levels higher, more stars in their toons, and higher gear this is not fun or challenging at all.

Having a play mode that was challenging and interesting and you had to use strategy to complete was fun, but an impossible to complete mode without premium p2w stuff is quite annoying.
  • J7000 wrote: »
    How about new content instead of making changes that I would venture would anger over 70 percent of your players.

We did just increase the level cap and introduce a ton of new content, so it's not a mutually exclusive thing.
  • Barrok wrote: »
    Telaan wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

-Aaron

Poor poor decision. I'm afraid this game is going down the typically dark path Star Wars games traditionally do.

LOL your response is gold. Have you not read the forums in the last week or two? The user base was fractured on if Force closing was a cheat or not. If it was intended by the developers or not. People wanted FC users to be BANNED. Now of all of a sudden the developers change it so that it behaves like FC, and we act like everyone was using these features and fine with them before. No, everyone wasn't. The user base was fractured and this was a solution to that fracture. Now we have 1 way it behaves (though reports show that sometimes it behaves like the old way) and this should cut down on confusion and requests for being banned.

Plus, retreating always felt broken. Oh, Darth Vaders only good move was cast... retreat, come back. Ah all is well.

Though, my biggest flaw with GW is that each new game starts off fresh for the opponent, but not for you. I don't get why they can always use their Chewie taunts turn 1, while mine will be on cool down :(

Lol but now it's, oh they have Poe/Vader, I'll just stun with Daka or ability block with Poggle. Oh it didn't land? No worries I can reset till it does.

Instead of retreating to clear debuffs, now you can keep dangerous abilities or toons locked down by having the match reset till debuffs land.
  • Looks like the newbs and f2p get a real disadvantage with a small roster and low level characters. The new level cap was already a good opportunity for the p2p players to get back their advantage and get ahead in levels. It looks like this change will only broaden the gap.
  • xJazzx
    808 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    J7000 wrote: »
    How about new content instead of making changes that I would venture would anger over 70 percent of your players.

We did just increase the level cap and introduce a ton of new content, so it's not a mutually exclusive thing.

@CG_AaronNemoyten once that you guys have made adjustments to retreat, can you also improve the algorithm for matchmaking in GW? Many are facing overly strong opponents. Thanks
  • Jyykson wrote: »
    Oh well, finally unlocked GW about 2 days ago, and apparently I've now missed the boat on how to be successful at it.
    Hope they made it easier too if I now can't even swap out wounded characters.

just bring 2 healers and make sure you don't use your taunts on dumb things like if you were to put it into auto use.
  • Glad they fixed GW 8)
    CharLieTao wrote: »
    Everyone blame -> @Kaevad2000

Yes - blame me, it's all my fault 8)

Lol - give me a break!
  • All force quitting did was act as a fail safe if a precious character got wiped off the board unexpectedly.

If you were retreating and managing your health wisely before this usually wasn't necessary.

Now its impossible to use retreat as a smart option and we're left with "oh my guys died, let me try some other guys... oh they die too... yay I made it through with 3 guys alive and only one of them could survive an opening round against the next team... "

I understand you can't control the force quit "option" but to gut the other half of the equation leaving teams crippled is just no fun.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Hey everyone,

-Aaron

The response and explanation are appreciated.

Destroying the ONLY aspect of this game that required actual strategy is baffling and EXTREMELY disappointing.

It's a war of attrition. Retreat and substituting in new characters is a strategy for winning war. You've just removed a big part of the strategy of this mode.

Basically, there were two ways to deal with a fight going south: one was complete cheese (force-quitting) and the other some people disliked but was seen as at least a valid way of using tactics to win. Retreat was also a way to manage resources by swapping in characters. You removed the tactical option and basically legitimized the cheese option.

I'm absolutely floored by this. Amazing.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • I am really happy about this change. It gives the player an option if they go into a battle and get crushed by very unlucky RNG. That was one of my biggest regrets of the way it was. If you went up against a high damage team that RNG went their way it would wreck your whole GW run. This is a very fair solution.