Gratitute In The Face of Rage

DarthPurgatory
626 posts Member
edited July 2016
I just wanted to express my thanks to the Devs, who with a few exceptions yet to implement finally seem to be listening to players. I've played a lot of games in this style over the years and while SW:GOH has a ways to go before they reach the content some of those games have over time, they're slowly getting there. Hopefully.

They're taking a step in the right direction by finally giving out free crystals by way of apology for their mistakes...something that is routinely done in other games but up until recently wasn't happening here.

They listen to the remarkable forum feedback when players complain on a legitimate issue. They fixed Yoda. They listen to who you want reworked...even if it takes awhile to get it done They gave us the Scoundrel Event...whatever else that means for you. They added daily stamina refreshes.

I have no doubt that in time they will embrace other routine aspects of this style and genre of game. Further game modes after ships. Whenever that arrives. Another harder, more rewarding layer to GW. (what's going on there, btw?) Perhaps an additional raid Tier so we aren't one shotting it even with one hit and denying players rewards.

Give them time. I genuinely don't think EA/CG had any idea what they were walking into when they opened the forums. I've read forums for many F2P/P2W games over the years and they all...all...devolve into bitter wars such as rage here daily over the smallest minutiae, much less the big problems.

Yes, communication could be better...but I've played games where communication was non-existent. Be grateful they talk to you, because they don't owe you anything. No, they don't. Seriously, they really don't. I don't care how much you spend. Nobody made you do it. Btw, I'm a whale and I stand behind that statement.

So thank you for creating the game. It's not perfect. It's really not, it needs far more work and fixing of broken things and options than it currently has. It needs to live on more than it's Star Was name.

However I've seen no indication that ya'll are doing anything other than resting on your laurels, so I appreciate it. Work on the communication though, please. If you are going to, commit to it. Silence after opening your mouth only enrages the players, as you've seen. You maybe live by the creedo Say Nothing Until You Have Something To Say. I get that too. Not everyone here is so patient.

Anyway, good job overall. I look forward to what else is coming down the pipeline. Besides more stuff to throw my money at. Seriously...ya'll need to revert back to refreshes based on shop currency. This crystal refresh everywhere is an obvious money grab and goes against the genre standard.

Thanks for listening!

Porgatory demands fresh souls.

Replies

• Lol
  • Lol

Yes, I see your point. Quite eloquent and insightful; thanks for sharing!
  • Sarryen
    474 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    The reason there is so much frustration with the devs is that it would be so easy to communicate with us about important and urgent issues (such as GW). They choose not to and instead respond to other irrelevant threads.

Simply stating they are aware of the problem but don't yet have a fix would stop the flame war and rage in one go. They have chosen not to do this (yet) and hence frustration boils over.

This is not the first time this has happened, and the frequency of occurrence of bugs and issues and the corresponding lack in communication seems to be rapidly accelerating recently.
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Indeed, I think you saw I'm not naive to what happens around here.

It's easier to respond to a throwaway thread with a throwaway line than make a post about a position or stand the Dev team is making that they aren't authorized to make, for whatever reason.

Least he shows his face, and does post WHEN there is something to say.

It's the inbetween and the speed of these announcements that needs major work on their end.
  • Sarryen
    474 posts Member
    Agreed!
  • They added daily stamina refreshes.

Why do people think this is a great amazing thing?

You do realize that you generate X amount of energy per day because they've intentionally tuned it to that amount. What they've done is taken X total energy per day that they felt was the right amount after some time had passed, and then subtracted Y from it and split it over three login windows in order to get you to log into the app more often throughout the day. That's not a gift, its marketing.

• Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    I just wanted to express my thanks to the Devs, who with a few exceptions yet to implement finally seem to be listening to players. I've played a lot of games in this style over the years and while SW:GOH has a ways to go before they reach the content some of those games have over time, they're slowly getting there. Hopefully.

I agree with some of it, but I think they're too greedy - I'm a whale as well.

Monetising the pre-crafting solution was the worst thing I've seen them do, encouraging the refreshing of shipments for such a pathetic chance at having an opportunity to spend. Decisions like that don't sit right with me, I doubt even you could defend them on that.

I saw the INRAJ developer on Reddit saying that they're a really small team, in response to questions concerning timeframes. Guess how much sympathy I have for that?

They are raking in millions for this game selling imaginary stuff, made of pixels. There is no excuse for not hiring more people, not hiring the right people, not having better QA, not responding quicker on the forums when issues occur.

There's no excuse, for the investment I've made I expect the results to match.
  • Mp44
    157 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Palanthian wrote: »

Monetising the pre-crafting solution was the worst thing I've seen them do, encouraging the refreshing of shipments for such a pathetic chance at having an opportunity to spend. Decisions like that don't sit right with me, I doubt even you could defend them on that.

I saw the INRAJ developer on Reddit saying that they're a really small team, in response to questions concerning timeframes. Guess how much sympathy I have for that?

They are raking in millions for this game selling imaginary stuff, made of pixels. There is no excuse for not hiring more people, not hiring the right people, not having better QA, not responding quicker on the forums when issues occur.

There's no excuse, for the investment I've made I expect the results to match.

Yup.

This game has been live for 8 months? In the first month it took in several million. That should have tipped them of pretty early.

But the issue is this. Licensing. I don't really blame CG, I blame ea and Disney. 99% of revenue goes right into their hands and you better believe that Disney has their marketers working OT trying to squeez this for all its worth. It's rampant capitalism, and it's the reason so much of the US is falling apart. Unchecked greed by giant corporations is not good, but that's the world we live in.

I play games to get away from cra p like this in my real life, it makes me sick to see this happen to an IP I love so dearly. But we all knew it would happen once lucas sold it to the devil. Say what you will about the prequels, at least he actually cared about the product.
  • not sure which game you are playing but it can not be the same game i am plying.

all jokes aside, developers get paid a reasonable amount to do a job which from what i can tell is not up to scratch, we have had bug after bug, pre crafting, guild hopping alt factory's, broken heroes right out the box, complete ignore of dodge meta only to have EA make money off the situation with anti dodge heroes...

the list is endless, in the relative short time this game has been on the market there are way more negatives than positives and underlying it all is EA's overwhelming greed.

credit where credit is due and EA deserves non of it.

• Something to ponder, in another incarnation communication was open with the staff. Questions were answered and ideas were voiced. Then the dark times came, some more vocal players seemed to be controlling the game and it's future. Whether it was true or not, it was widely accepted as the reason for many unpopular changes in game. And led to much contempt and anger. It divided the player base. While wanting answers is normal, receiving them is not the norm in gaming. Certainly not with EA games. We are simply experiencing how life is in the gaming world.

This is not to say some evil plan is in place. In the past when the communication flowed both ways, comments were taken out of context, possible outcomes were taken as promises, and in the end, the game and the community suffered. We must now accept that we will not receive answers upon request, and will either continue to play, or not. It is what it is, and such is life.

*vanishes*
  • vilvlugt
    76 posts Member
    Something to ponder, in another incarnation communication was open with the staff. Questions were answered and ideas were voiced. Then the dark times came, some more vocal players seemed to be controlling the game and it's future. Whether it was true or not, it was widely accepted as the reason for many unpopular changes in game. And led to much contempt and anger. It divided the player base. While wanting answers is normal, receiving them is not the norm in gaming. Certainly not with EA games. We are simply experiencing how life is in the gaming world.

This is not to say some evil plan is in place. In the past when the communication flowed both ways, comments were taken out of context, possible outcomes were taken as promises, and in the end, the game and the community suffered. We must now accept that we will not receive answers upon request, and will either continue to play, or not. It is what it is, and such is life.

*vanishes*

Amen. With all the demands voiced here if devs follow each one this'll end in a ish-pile. Please y'all slow the pace.

I started to level a toon in lower cantina levels and remember how hard it was to two star it two months ago. Now merely one toon could have 3-stared it. Leveling gets out of hand.
  • Phlebotomy_Jones
    439 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Most people seldom say "Thanks for not spilling my drink on me" when the wait staff deliver a wrong and cold order to table.

That's an just a disguised insult.

Instead we address it directly, and expect it to be resolved, and for the rest of the service to continue as professional as expected.

When there are legitimate concerns, "Sorry, we just had a group of 30 people unexpectedly," most can make an allowance for it. Absent that, or in repetition, service seems secondary and unprofessional, and affects repeat business.

These aren't 5 year olds learning to spell, in need of and deserving of encouragement.

This is a multi-million dollar gaming business, working to monetize a broadly appreciated, fiercely defended (by fans and owner alike) franchise.

Yet there often seems to be a petulant silence, exceeding credulity for avoiding spoilers or unintended implications.
  • Veritasum
    753 posts Member
    My pros for the game:
    well done
    fun
    immersive
    faithful to the lore
    devs listen way too much in here

Cons:
    It is overly monetized, mercilessly so. I understand you can do everything for free spending enough time, but for those that pay, it is ridiculously, crazy, unimaginatively expensive at every turn and corner. It boggles my mind that I've spent so much money and have made a slight dent into progress and can spend 10xs more to be a whale. Just absolutely crazy.
    That's it. Stuff breaks, bugs happen, but they address it. Whatevs there.
  • QuiteDrunk
    188 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Veritasum wrote: »
    My pros for the game:
    well done (not even close)
    fun (was at the start not at end game)
    immersive (as immersive as it gets auto SIM-ing every battle)
    faithful to the lore (are you kidding me? since when have you ever seen Darth Vader and Old Ben fight on the same team)
    devs listen way too much in here (so so)

Cons:
    It is overly monetized, mercilessly so. I understand you can do everything for free spending enough time, but for those that pay, it is ridiculously, crazy, unimaginatively expensive at every turn and corner. It boggles my mind that I've spent so much money and have made a slight dent into progress and can spend 10xs more to be a whale. Just absolutely crazy.
    That's it. Stuff breaks, bugs happen, but they address it. Whatevs there.

edited slightly.

• You do realize that you generate X amount of energy per day because they've intentionally tuned it to that amount. What they've done is taken X total energy per day that they felt was the right amount after some time had passed, and then subtracted Y from it and split it over three login windows in order to get you to log into the app more often throughout the day. That's not a gift, its marketing.
    Of course they tuned it to that amount; did you think I just assumed it was magically appeared at that level? Consequently, it's also the same amount almost every other game gives back. Again -- EA/CG has taken that which works and implemented it here. Of course it's marketing designed to lure us back into the game; that doesn't make it any less of a welcome feature to those of us bored relentlessly once we've finished for the day.

Palanthian wrote: »

No, I don't agree with this in the least. I think that shipment prices are largely way too high, and the decision to revert refreshes to crystals everywhere was a huge mistake. This is against the grain in almost every other style of Hero game where shipments are refreshed by the currency of choice in the given shop. Gear will always be sold…but it garners them no favor when they do it this way…especially with the RNG factor of what you want appearing. Revert it back to shop currency and it's easier to swallow.Regarding investment.…I agree to an extent. I have invested in this game. Much more than I expected to on starting it. It would be fantastic if every expectation I had was met…but that's unrealistic. I'm not in charge of the game.So I do what ya'll do. Come here, offer insight and opinion and things I'd like to say. Maybe I see it. Some of it I have and I'm satisfied. Some of it I haven't and that sucks….but the game is ongoing and the Devs seem willing to listen.That's more than a lot of companies, named EA or something else.