Character Strategy - Dengar

Prev1
EA_Jesse
663 posts SWGOH Dev Team
edited January 2017
Dengar

yb4d2m7px4s7.png

Adaptable Scoundrel attacker that Stuns and inflicts Tenacity Down.

Unlocks at 2 Stars (25 Shards)

Available from Guild Store

Abilities
BASIC Attack – Target Spotted:
  • Deal Physical damage to target enemy. If the target is suffering from any negative effects, there is a 40% chance to call an Ally to assist. If the assisting ally is a Scoundrel, the attack is guaranteed to be a Critical Hit. [Ability Upgrades Increase the Assist Chance & Damage of this Attack]

SPECIAL Attacks
  • Blast & Smash – Deal Physical damage to target enemy with a 50% chance to inflict Speed Down for 2 turns. If the target had 50% Turn Meter or more, 75% chance to Stun the target for 1 turn. [Ability Upgrades Reduce Cooldown, increase damage, Increase Speed Down Duration and Increase the Stun Chance]
  • Mini-Grenade Mayhem – Deal Physical damage to all enemies. If this attack scores at least one Critical Hit, inflict Tenacity Down for 2 turns. [Ability Upgrades add Damage, Damage over time (2 critical hits), Remove Turn Meter (3 critical hits), and increase the duration of these effects.]

Unique Ability
Grizzled Veteran – Whenever Dengar receives a Critical Hit, he gains Stealth for 1 turn.
  • Upgrade 1: Whenever an enemy evades Dengar’s attack, he gains +20% Turn Meter.
  • Upgrade 2: Stealth Duration + 1
  • Upgrade 3: Whenever Dengar suffers a negative status effect, he gains Tenacity Up for 1 turn.
  • Upgrade 4: +20% Turn Meter on enemy evade
  • Upgrade 5: Tenacity Up Duration + 1
  • Upgrade 6: +20% Turn Meter on enemy evade
  • Upgrade 7: Tenacity Up Duration + 1

General Strategy
Dengar is extremely adaptable and thus will work in almost any team he is placed into. His relatively high health combined with extreme survival abilities will see him lasting through raid battles and helping your team through PVE and PvP Battles. His ability to apply Tenacity down, stun, and remove enemy turn meter grants him an incredible amount of utility.

Hero Synergies
  • Dengar will obviously synergize well with existing scoundrel parties and his Tenacity Down will go a long way to ensuring that negative effects are even more powerful in those teams.
  • Dengar is also flexible enough to be used in most team makeups. Heroes that apply Detrimental effects but lack potency will greatly benefit from Dengar’s Tenacity Down and other Detrimental effects.

Where to Use
Dengar’s High Health and Defensive Toolkit will allow him to succeed in most gameplay areas. Tenacity Up, will help him survive difficult challenges such as “The Pit” In phase one, he will be able to add utility and control to the adds and the captain and in phases 2-4 he will bring more survivability and increased damage through his Tenacity Down.
Community Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes | Follow me on Twitter - Darokaz
Post edited by Kozispoon on

Replies

• chromium only :-(
  • Amalthea
    691 posts Member
    chromium only :-(

For now. I think like Magmatrooper he'll be released to f2p quickly once the month is over. I hope he's better than Magmatrooper..
  • Kind of bull releasing 3 chromiums in a row, but I guess they thought it was right because they are reworking Anakin to counter evades. Too bad those 3 don't really counter evade though.
  • Amalthea wrote: »
    chromium only :-(

For now. I think like Magmatrooper he'll be released to f2p quickly once the month is over. I hope he's better than Magmatrooper..

It seems like we are gonna get Dengar unlocked at the end of the month, but to star him the rest of the way will be chromium only...
  • He is not even available in chrom now. Wonder what time will the update take place.
  • ChaosDoom wrote: »
    He is not even available in chrom now. Wonder what time will the update take place.

At the end of the month once he's unlocked from the dailies
  • No one knows yet how he will be released, so this is all speculation.
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    Any confirmation if tenacity down works similarly to tenacity up? i.e. 100% chance to apply negative effects?

What happens if both buffs exist at the same time?
  • Josh_K wrote: »
    Any confirmation if tenacity down works similarly to tenacity up? i.e. 100% chance to apply negative effects?

What happens if both buffs exist at the same time?

Just like having a guy with offense up who gets hit with offense down, it's like there's no buff or debuff there. Say I'm using geonosian soldier who gets offense up but then say savage hits him with offense down. He doesn't lose any damage just does as much damage as he would do without any buffs at all. I would imagine having two opposite things of any kind of buff would cause the same thing to happen
    May the Force be with You
    - Tulak
  • TheRealBobBelcher
    239 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Grraauuggh wrote: »
    No one knows yet how he will be released, so this is all speculation.

This is from @EA_Jesse and it states in there that it's from chromium and monthly login...
  • Ego12Draconis
    251 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    :(
  • So is he in chromium now? @EA_Jesse ?
  • When Magmatrooper was released, he was monthly login character. A week before the month ended, he was also added to Chromiums iirc. Then after the month ended, he was moved to GW. There is still hope Dengar would move to Cantina at the very least a week into next month. Will have to wait and see.
  • I think Dengar, while not OP himself, brings a lot of "dynamic" to many teams.
  • When Magmatrooper was released, he was monthly login character. A week before the month ended, he was also added to Chromiums iirc. Then after the month ended, he was moved to GW. There is still hope Dengar would move to Cantina at the very least a week into next month. Will have to wait and see.

^^This
  • If not I will react irascibly
  • He looks interesting, except for his max 103 speed.. even with Landos lead giving +15 he's a turtle.
  • Chewplebcca
    774 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Canisfenri wrote: »
    He looks interesting, except for his max 103 speed.. even with Landos lead giving +15 he's a turtle.

His turn meter bonus he gets whenever opponent evades is quite nice though. Could get some use out of that in the dodge meta
  • TaderDutti
    15 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    His tenacity down says "never resists a negative status effects" but yes! The enemies that already have tenacity down could resist a negative status effects, why? It's this debufs bugged?
  • chromium only :-(
    Hes supposed to appear in guild shipment store to
    Hes in the guild store
  • Guild store, from 2* to 7* will only take an eternity to do lmao
  • Amalthea
    691 posts Member
    Guild store, from 2* to 7* will only take an eternity to do lmao

Some people got JE or GG up fairly quickly, but yeah it's slower than most other FTP sources (other than hard modes), and even slower now that they rotate 3 toons. They should change it so that the first slot is always one of JE/GG/Dengar, but the other two can also have their shards too.
  • Amalthea wrote: »

Some people got JE or GG up fairly quickly, but yeah it's slower than most other FTP sources (other than hard modes), and even slower now that they rotate 3 toons. They should change it so that the first slot is always one of JE/GG/Dengar, but the other two can also have their shards too.

Isn't it that way already?
  • Amalthea
    691 posts Member
    Amalthea wrote: »

Isn't it that way already?

No the first item is always either JE, GG or Dengar but I've never seen any of them in the other two slots.
  • So I used a brand new Dengar (that's hasn't been geared, starred, or leveled) and used it against a 72lvl 7gear stormtrooper (from the strength daily challenge) and Dengar stunned him using his special. Pretty awesome huh.
  • Gank_Killer
    1817 posts Member
    So I used a brand new Dengar (that's hasn't been geared, starred, or leveled) and used it against a 72lvl 7gear stormtrooper (from the strength daily challenge) and Dengar stunned him using his special. Pretty awesome huh.

That's just how the games Potency vs. Tenacity works.

I think it's pretty dumb that they have
    1. chance for effect to trigger
    2. chance for effect to be resisted

Just make it one or the other, not both, it makes the mechanics too complicated and frustrating for players.
  • SWHS
    121 posts Member
    So I used a brand new Dengar (that's hasn't been geared, starred, or leveled) and used it against a 72lvl 7gear stormtrooper (from the strength daily challenge) and Dengar stunned him using his special. Pretty awesome huh.

That's just how the games Potency vs. Tenacity works.

I think it's pretty dumb that they have
    1. chance for effect to trigger
    2. chance for effect to be resisted

Just make it one or the other, not both, it makes the mechanics too complicated and frustrating for players.

Yea it is stupid. Its like X% chance to do a potency v tenacity check and then if you win that trigger the effect.
  • @EA_Jesse dengar's tenacity down does not work as described. It says that once applied tenacity down will cause the target to never resist negative status effects.

However having tested it, the tenacity down debuff is never resisted, and once you apply it, negative status effects are still frequently resisted.

Is this a mistake? Is tenacity down supposed to make all debuffs stick? or is it supposed to only make debuffs more likely to stick
  • They clearly don't test the characters they release, nor fix the ones that have been broken for months.