• Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    You-Mad-Bro-Cat-Meme-03.jpg
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Also, I love how Leia's multi-attack over-proccing was addressed, yet she's still giving her buff out 100$ of fights. Nice QA, that.

Is she really? Wow.
    They had weeks to do this patch.
    I don't even know what to say. There were so many bugs pointed out and almost none of them were addressed. But why bother tinkering with her at all if they weren't going to fix her?
    Unimpressive.

I'm not surprised. I laughed when @CG_AaronNemoyten disagreed with my assessment of the track record of Star Wars games, specifically online games. I highly doubt there are many titles out there that can rival the available budget of games with this IP. Online Star Wars games are just cursed. I can't come up with any other explanation. It's so bad that despite REALLY wanting the new battlefront I refused to buy it when it was released. I'm glad I waited.
  • Exileous wrote: »
    Now that I know GW Retreat == Reset.

Did anyone else notice that retreat sometimes still worked like it used to? I could swear there were one or two times when I was retreating today for testing purposes, the heroes that I killed on the opposing team didn't come back to life/full-life.

Same thing happened to me. Only happened once throughout the run. I'll try to recreate it on the next reset.
  • I am one of the guys who luckily didn't just work on my 5 man squad and has been working on about 10-15 toons so I am in a better situation than most. However, one of the best aspects of this game was GW. I felt it took the most strategy and forced you into creating more than a 5 man arena squad. It allowed you to test toons you normally would not use. The new system does still force you into developing several toons but now strategy has pretty much left the bldg. RNGesus plays a huge role now. Best fix was to keep buffs and debuffs on both sides when returning from a retreat. And actually fix force close. The best way to fix bugs is not enlisting the attitude of you can't beat them so just join them.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I liked GW so much, especially the strategy aspects, that I wrote a 5,000 word guide to it. Now it's meaningless.
    New "GW guide":
    1. Get Dooku, Daka, Sid, Lumi and Barris.
    2. Start the match. Try to stun people with Dooku and Daka, and heal-block with Sid.
    3. If you don't get lucky with the RNG, retreat and try the attacks in a different order.
    4. Keep fighting. If things go poorly, retreat and change things a bit more until you win.
    So strategy. Many fun.
    This is like playing chess where you can take a snapshot after any number of moves and then go back and replay all the moves afterwards if you don't win.
    Derp.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • 2 things made this game fun: Galactic War and competing in Arena. I've ranked in the top 10 on my arena for the past week+ and been in the top 5 each of the last 4-5 days. Now with this update GW is going to be more of a chore than something I look forward to each day...and there are already big-spenders in my arena group who are level 63, with full teams leveled up to 63 as well. **Sigh**

Guess I can look forward to doing my 30 missions a day to farm the hundreds of pieces of purple gear I need. At the drop rate I should be able to upgrade my gear to level 8 by summertime....
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    Also, I love how Leia's multi-attack over-proccing was addressed, yet she's still giving her buff out 100$ of fights. Nice QA, that.

Is she really? Wow.
    I don't even know what to say. There were so many bugs pointed out and almost none of them were addressed. But why bother tinkering with her at all if they weren't going to fix her?
    Unimpressive.

Yup. 100%, just like pre-patch. I can even post proof later tonight.
    I liked GW so much, especially the strategy aspects, that I wrote a 5,000 word guide to it. Now it's meaningless.
    New "GW guide":
    2. Start the match. Try to stun people with Dooku and Daka, and heal-block with Sid.
    3. If you don't get lucky with the RNG, retreat and try the attacks in a different order.
    4. Keep fighting. If things go poorly, retreat and change things a bit more until you win.
    So strategy. Many fun.
    This is like playing chess where you can take a snapshot after any number of moves and then go back and replay all the moves afterwards if you don't win.
    Derp.

Hahaha awesome guide! Pew pew!
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    New "GW guide":
    So strategy. Many fun.
    Derp.

What was your solution before?

This is what I expect most people did

1) Look at opponent's team and pick the biggest threat you can quickly take down
    2) load, kill that threat
    3) Retreat
    4) reload, with now 5 on 4, pick the next biggest threat, kill that threat
    5) Reload
    6) Rinse repeat
    7) yay, I won!

Or

1) look at opponent's team and pick what abilities they have
    2) Sub in D team, they take all the ability damage
    3) retreat
    4) Sub in A team
    5) Kill top threat - retreat
    6) 5 on 4 - rinse repeat.

Seriously, looking at those 3 options, they are all cheese. All three are played out in a way that you reduce the damage you take and reduce the risk of loss.

We are lucky to have at least one "cheese" solution, because I could have totally seen this feature not allow for any cheese and be more like a gladiator match or something, where you just fight to the death.
  • Geddre
    224 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    The functionality of Retreat has been changed so that it behaves the same as force-quitting the app. While we understand that many players relied on Retreating as part of their strategy, ultimately there were two different ways to leave a battle that didn’t behave the same way (Retreating, and force-quitting the app). We decided that in order to keep the experience fair and consistent, we would change the behavior of Retreat to work the same as force-quitting.

-Aaron

If that's the motivation, then why not simply make retreat AND reset buttons that work both ways?

Obviously that's possible since you've had the one button work both ways.

And obviously you're OK with each of those methods being the "official" method individually, since you've now had each be the button functionality.

So if fairness and consistency is the issue, why not give each functionality its own button next patch?
    New "GW guide":
    So strategy. Many fun.
    Derp.

I love how a multi-page strategy guide is now reduced to 4 lines effectively with the update.

That being said, I feel like we need to be careful about this "exploit" or RNG resetting when characters are shifted around otherwise they may remove that as well - and then we are all screwed.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Barrok wrote: »
    New "GW guide":
    So strategy. Many fun.
    Derp.

What was your solution before?

This is what I expect most people did

1) Look at opponent's team and pick the biggest threat you can quickly take down
    2) load, kill that threat
    3) Retreat
    4) reload, with now 5 on 4, pick the next biggest threat, kill that threat
    5) Reload
    6) Rinse repeat
    7) yay, I won!

Or

1) look at opponent's team and pick what abilities they have
    2) Sub in D team, they take all the ability damage
    3) retreat
    4) Sub in A team
    5) Kill top threat - retreat
    6) 5 on 4 - rinse repeat.

Seriously, looking at those 3 options, they are all cheese. All three are played out in a way that you reduce the damage you take and reduce the risk of loss.

We are lucky to have at least one "cheese" solution, because I could have totally seen this feature not allow for any cheese and be more like a gladiator match or something, where you just fight to the death.

If the answer to completing a gameplay mode is resorting to cheese 1, 2, or 3; there is probably a fundamental flaw in the mechanics of said mode.

Aside from that cheese is subjective. Hence this debate.
    It's no harder for people who completed GW before to complete it now.
    It's just a lot less fun.
    This is one of the worst changes I've ever seen made to any game I've ever played, and I go back to "Pong".
    Everyone has been saying two things for weeks: 1. please fix the bugs and 2. please give us more fun things to do. Most of the bugs are not fixed, and the only fun thing to do is ruined.
    Excellent stuff.

+1. Right on the money @Qeltar, as usual.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    Telaan wrote: »

If the answer to completing a gameplay mode is resorting to cheese 1, 2, or 3; there is probably a fundamental flaw in the mechanics of said mode.

Aside from that cheese is subjective. Hence this debate.

I think we all agree that almost everyone who beats GW beats it through some form of cheesing. So, like you said, the mode is fundamentally flawed as we know it.

But, if the developers would have released this feature without any cheesing, and treated it more like a "fight to the death" mode, OR if they had a single cheese method from the beginning, we wouldn't be having this problem.

In fact I bet many people would have loved GW if it started with FC as the only way to retreat, because they wouldn't know any better.
  • Barrok wrote: »
    In fact I bet many people would have loved GW if it started with FC as the only way to retreat, because they wouldn't know any better.

Very true. The issue for most is that there was a feature that has now been taking away. There are other GW issues - mostly with matching, that need to be addressed. I'm not saying that GW should be easy, or that everyone is entitled to complete it every time...but there should be some reasonable balance to the opponents we face taking into consideration this nerf.

Is she really? Wow.
    Unimpressive.

I'll also quote you :)

I've been leveling up and gearing ventriss assuming they were gonna fix her bug where her power wasn't removing beneficial buffs to the opposing team since that's a pretty big one if you use her.

But no. Instead we get a gamemode that I won't be able to complete and one that has all the fun removed from it and just made it like every other part of the game. After playing for a month fighting in battles other than arena or GW were getting pretty boring. Now it's just arena that will be fun and I'm not gonna log in and play everyday for a few hours for just that.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    J7000 wrote: »
    How about new content instead of making changes that I would venture would anger over 70 percent of your players.

We did just increase the level cap and introduce a ton of new content, so it's not a mutually exclusive thing.

I just want to say that I appreciate you explaining the change. I never used the force close option as I, personally, considered it a cheat. I just finished my GW and am still a little torn. It was easier in a way. If I didn't like how it was going, I could retreat and have my full team at the health was when I started. This takes a little bit of the strategy out of it.
    On my 7th battle, I was going against a full level 60 team. They had Dooku who would attack first and the first attempt I lost 2 people early on. To test the new system I retreated 4 times without changing teams. On the 4th attempt, I stunned Dooku on my first attack and walked through the rest of the party.

I'll continue to test it out, but for me I think it made GW easier.
  • CptCaveman
    713 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I really don't understand these P2W games. Clash of Clans also went the same way, totally catering to the very big spenders. They had a 100+ pages of complaints last time I checked before quitting that game along with quite a few friends, moderate spenders.

I understand game devs don't make anything from the F2P brigade, I didn't realize that even P2P are redundant...

I'm not quiting as of now, will have to see if the game is still viable. The level cap to 70 combined with this, will I be able to game on or will it become a drag? I guess I'll find out soon enough. Early days and I did grow up on Star Wars, movies, games, novels, everything.

I recently quit Clash of Clans due to the bad changes and lack of communication from the developers. Spent a bit of money on that game and will never play another Supercell game. I guess being top grossing app in iTunes Store for almost three years and pulling down 4 mil a day wasn't enough for them. Luckily I did get some of my money back and have no problems doing the same here.

The thing that bothered me most about that situation was the total lack of communication from anyone at SC. Instead they release a new game and spend a ton of money running new commercials for Clash to attract new players. They really didn't seem to care about their loyal players. If you want to see what not to do, go check out the Clash forums.

At least we have some interaction with people at CG here on the forums. Though they may be going to the other extreme vs the clash team and taking bad feedback from just a few in the community and overreacting to it. Which may be worse in the long run.

I have not played GW since the change, so I will reserve my judgement until I test it out for myself.

I am very interested in how the devs at CG respond to the negative feedback on this change to GW. This is what will determine whether or not I continue to play this or any other EA or CG game. I guess it's better that it happens now before I invest even more money.
    Post edited by CptCaveman on
    It's a hard life pickin stones and pullin teats, but sure as gods got sandals, it beats fighting dudes with treasure trails....
  • Telaan wrote: »
    A better fix would've been to find a way to save buffs and debuffs so people can't retreat then re-enter with the same toons to dupe the system.

We've talked about this, actually. Not sure if/when it can happen though.
  • CptCaveman wrote: »

I am very interested in how the devs at CG respond to the negative feedback on this change to GW. This is what will determine whether or not I continue to play this or any other EA or CG game.

Well, they seem to make drastic changes based on the negative feedback of a few. Maybe we'll see something after this? *Sarcasm*
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Barrok wrote: »

it doesn't work like that. All moves are predetermined if they land or not. You will see once you FC/retreat, that if they didn't stun the first time they will not stun the next 10000 times, unless you switch up your team (or possibly move them around).

You know, the other solution is you bring a team that matches up well against your opponent (since they show us the entire team) and that way Vaders ability isn't nearly as big of a problem.

I will say this though, it does make it tougher. In the past against the very tough Leia, FOTP, POE, QuiJon teams, I have had to FC till I got a decent start, then retreat after I killed FOTP. Now its 4 on 5. With this new change, I might down FOTP but they storm right back and wreck me. No way to retreat out of that.

This is incorrect. I just tested it on one of my battles. I was trying to stun Dooku and was able to on the 4th attempt. The first attempt was a normal hit and he resisted the stun. The second, a crit and resist. The third, a complete miss and the fourth attack was a normal hit plus stun.

IMO, the new retreat makes GW easier but cheesier.

EDIT: After reading more posts and Aarons confession I am now puzzled. I don't remember changing anyone out on these but I must have because I know I got the stun on the 4th attempt.
    Post edited by Varlie on
  • I also just created an account to post about this GW change. I'm mostly F2P, but I have bought a few shard packs and would've likely continued to do so. This adjustment to galactic war totally kills this game for the average Joe. I cannot afford, and I imagine this applies to most everyone else, to spend hundreds/thousands to be competitive in a mobile phone game. Completing all 12 nodes in GW really did not provide huge rewards anyway, but it at least made me feel like I was advancing and gave me opportunities to play with my whole roster, even if they were just there for a round or two to take heavy blows and soften up a target. This change will make it likely that I don't get much beyond node 9, and that's probably pushing it, and really necessitates a massive investment in a ton of characters. Anyone who has faced three to four 5-7* epic gear count dookus/dakas/sidious' in a row can attest that the old retreat was vital to cycling though your bench to make it through and heal your toons. I would say a retreat button and a reset button would've been a far better compromise than this. This is such a shame - and with the cap increase to lvl 70, it will leave us moderate spenders and the F2P absolutely in the dust, even if they fix this mistake in a few days.
  • It's funny, no, not really, to see some of the people supporting the change with the argument that earlier, others were having it easy. Not easier than them, just easy. Did not hurt anyone at their levels anyway! These guys mostly have deep benches of 7 starred exclusive toons but they try to push the argument that they were being hurt in Arena because others were farming limited toons in an "easy" way!

How can that be a justification for such a major change?

Now all this talk about those exclusive toons not being fixed at all, and I know for sure that the targeting bug is not fixed, I'm not sure the devs are in alignment with players like me.
  • Really?

They changed it? Why am I just hearing about this! :|
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Telaan wrote: »
    A better fix would've been to find a way to save buffs and debuffs so people can't retreat then re-enter with the same toons to dupe the system.

We've talked about this, actually. Not sure if/when it can happen though.

Woot woot! More to look forward to.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Question for anyone who has lost a round in GW now (all 5 died). If you go in with 5 new guys, are the enemies at least still stuck with their cooldowns and health totals?
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • d3gauss
    311 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Question for anyone who has lost a round in GW now (all 5 died). If you go in with 5 new guys, are the enemies at least still stuck with their cooldowns and health totals?

Yep, you can still throw in lvl 1s to get ai to pop abilities. You just have to let them die.
  • Reset Cooldowns every new battle, would make it more fair IMO.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Raenas wrote: »
    Strategy in GW? Yeah in the first few days. After that it just became annoying due to constantly retreating and triggering abilities before battle. All strategy was:
    1. Retreat if taunt/dots/heal immune/enemy buffed.
    2. Throw in lvl 1 characters before match to trigger abilities.

That's it. Once you done it, it gets boring. I would rather sim through GW now.

Now if AI gets lucky just retreat and do again. My 3 healer team went through them like a truck, since bugger Leia is not so bugger anymore.

But if you played it without doing that like some of us, it was a real challenge. It was what made it enjoyable for me. If I lost a valuable character mid battle (I had not known about the force close trick) I would retreat and add in another character and then figure out how to win the rest of the war without the character. I never retreated just to get rid of bids or debuffs. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to.
  • @CG_AaronNemoyten @EA_Jesse

Then ALSO reset our units cooldowns if we manage to make it through one fight. Right now what used to take 45 minutes - 1 hour of careful planning now takes 1hr+ of trying different setups in the vain hope one can make enough good units survive to try to beat the next node.

I'm facepalming hard at this decision. Did you try to beat 12 teams in GW with your own "f2p-similes" accounts before releasing this change, or did you just go all theory-crafting and said "yeah this concept will make it even"?
    ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE