Player Created Galactic War posts - MERGED HERE

Replies

• Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    meanpride wrote: »
    Why not just revert Retreat back to what it was but penalize Force closing? Force closing is the exploit anyway

How is it an exploit if it is the chosen method by the developers.

Obviously the previous retreat was an exploit because they fixed it amirite
  • Chico
    120 posts Member
    Varlie wrote: »
    Maybe after this change people in forums will stop complaining about what other people do in game.

The fact that they actually said that they made this change to make retreating the same as force closing because people complained about force closing chat blows my mind.

That's like a bank saying that since some bank robbers stole $100,000, they are going to give every account holder $100,000.

Don't you think it will encourage more people to complain because the Devs just showed that if you make enough noise they'll listen.

That's why I registered on the forum today. I'm making my voice be heard to bring back the fun in GW.
  • What I do find amusing is that they offered you the "retreat" button, so it wasn't really a hack. Switching to FC only confuses me, why change what you created?? Players got used to using the button and then you remove it so now players have to rework their strategy, slowing their progress...
  • Varlie wrote: »
    Maybe after this change people in forums will stop complaining about what other people do in game.

The fact that they actually said that they made this change to make retreating the same as force closing because people complained about force closing chat blows my mind.

That's like a bank saying that since some bank robbers stole $100,000, they are going to give every account holder $100,000.

no, it's more like the Prohibition times where some people thought alcohol was illegal. Today, who doesn't have at least one good wine to offer for their guests I don't know. But now you can only Drink whisk
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Wow lucky you. I face LVL 60 all purple 6-7* by fight 3 every single march. The first 2 are LVL 60, purple 5-6* with an occasional 7. How do I get a draw of 8 levels lower?
    Even after all this time, nobody understands the matchmaking in GW, and they haven't clarified. My first team today was level 49. I've been level 60 for a month with several purple 7* characters. *shrug*

My matchmaking never changes. First battle I may see 58/59 5* minimum all purples every 3rd day, but pretty much take it to the bank 5-6* lvl 60 purples fight 1 and 2. By the 3rd it is lvl 60 purple 6-7* maybe a 5 here or there idf Barriss or Dooku are in. From there it is all 6-7* purple 60's until the final 3-4 in which I draw lvl 60 purple at least 3 7*, always Sid and Lum at 7 then a random toon or 2 at 7, any not 7 ar 6. This is every march day in and day out. Retreat helped me, a spender with over 2 dozen level 60 toons from 5-6* 2 at 7* get through that march seeing as no heals, no cooldowns between fights. Retreat helped me be able to reset cooldowns and heal some. Did I still walk into fights damaged and without cooldowns, yes. When your last 3-4 matches look like what is below it is inevitable,lol.

All 7* purple
    QGJ
    Ima
    Secura
    Lum
    Kit

Or all 6-7* purple
    HK
    Poggle
    Poe or Lum

Or all 6-7* Typically 7 on this
    Phasma
    Maul
    Leia
    FOTP
    Poe
    doob wrote: »
    Well, we were promised a game-changing update.
    In fairness, they never claimed it'd be an improvement.

Exactly right!

I'll be changing my game too, I won't be spending another cent and I've bought every toon pack and 2-3 $25 crystal packages a month.
    Thanks CG, now I have a lot more money for beer.

There are no $25 Crystal packages in my App Store.

• Yeah mine is 19.99, 49.99, 99.99
  • Algren wrote: »
    So to stop people cheating and force closing, they've made it "legal" and instead punished the rest of us by taking away the "legal" tactic we use. Interesting idea. Now got to come up with a completely new tactic to try beat GW

This baffled me as well, can't blame people for being upset. Many have claimed the retreat button was cheating but they put the cheat there, this is the issue and now to turn it off, why??
  • GW is supposed to be end game content, a gauntlet of hard arena matches. The npc basically tells you you need a lot characters to do it, yet you think your supposed to do it with one team? The whole reason they reward you at each stage and not at the end only is because your not supposed to be able to finish it until you have built up a lot of the characters. You guys have been cheesing your way through and now when it finally gets fixed the way it should have worked from the beginning you get angry. It is only one month into the game, if your f2p your not meant to win. You have to farm and level all the characters that is the main reason there are so many. If you want to level one team only stick to arena. It is going to take a lot of time but honestly it should feel like a huge a accomplishment like almost beating the game, not like a daily chore new players are supposed to finish everyday.

except this patch did the exact opposite of what you say. All my toons (17 of which are 60, most purple geared) were useful. Sometimes just as fodder, but useful and lots of strategies. Now it's all about one or two teams and less about all my toons
    --Nud Stark--
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    GW is supposed to be end game content, a gauntlet of hard arena matches. The npc basically tells you you need a lot characters to do it, yet you think your supposed to do it with one team? The whole reason they reward you at each stage and not at the end only is because your not supposed to be able to finish it until you have built up a lot of the characters.
    And yet before I used 10 or 12 characters to complete, because I didn't force-close and had to be careful with strategy. Today I did it with 5.
    You guys have been cheesing your way through and now when it finally gets fixed the way it should have worked from the beginning you get angry.

I'm unhappy because I WASN'T "cheesing my way through", I was using strategy appropriate to a war (retreat and regroup, and manage resources) and that was taken away and I was told that "cheesing" is the only possible tool available now.
    They could have put in a reasonable solution for force-closing -- such as penalizing you for starting a match and then not finishing it, just as they do if you force-close a PvP match. Instead they put in a change that not only doesn't fix the problem, but basically tells everyone to do it.
    This is a case where no action would have been an improvement. The people who were force-closing now are legitimized, and the people who were using proper retreat/rotation strategies are now stuck with a boring game mode, the only part of the game that until now was interesting.
    It's lose-lose all around.

This.

--Nud Stark--
  • Varlie wrote: »

no, it's more like the Prohibition times where some people thought alcohol was illegal. Today, who doesn't have at least one good wine to offer for their guests I don't know. But now you can only Drink whisk
    Wow lucky you. I face LVL 60 all purple 6-7* by fight 3 every single march. The first 2 are LVL 60, purple 5-6* with an occasional 7. How do I get a draw of 8 levels lower?
    Even after all this time, nobody understands the matchmaking in GW, and they haven't clarified. My first team today was level 49. I've been level 60 for a month with several purple 7* characters. *shrug*

My matchmaking never changes. First battle I may see 58/59 5* minimum all purples every 3rd day, but pretty much take it to the bank 5-6* lvl 60 purples fight 1 and 2. By the 3rd it is lvl 60 purple 6-7* maybe a 5 here or there idf Barriss or Dooku are in. From there it is all 6-7* purple 60's until the final 3-4 in which I draw lvl 60 purple at least 3 7*, always Sid and Lum at 7 then a random toon or 2 at 7, any not 7 ar 6. This is every march day in and day out. Retreat helped me, a spender with over 2 dozen level 60 toons from 5-6* 2 at 7* get through that march seeing as no heals, no cooldowns between fights. Retreat helped me be able to reset cooldowns and heal some. Did I still walk into fights damaged and without cooldowns, yes. When your last 3-4 matches look like what is below it is inevitable,lol.

All 7* purple
    QGJ
    Ima
    Secura
    Lum
    Kit

Or all 6-7* purple
    HK
    Poggle
    Poe or Lum

Or all 6-7* Typically 7 on this
    Phasma
    Maul
    Leia
    FOTP
    Poe
    doob wrote: »
    Well, we were promised a game-changing update.
    In fairness, they never claimed it'd be an improvement.

Exactly right!

I'll be changing my game too, I won't be spending another cent and I've bought every toon pack and 2-3 $25 crystal packages a month.
    Thanks CG, now I have a lot more money for beer.

There are no $25 Crystal packages in my App Store.

Canadian $ 22.99 plus 2.99 tax. = $25.98 so more like $26.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • GW just got boring that's all.

Change took me by unawares but still managed to complete.

Retreat was a lot more fun.

Now the only "strategic option" when facing superior firepower is throwing expendables into the meat grinder first.

• Yeah mine is 19.99, 49.99, 99.99

Canadian dollars 22.99 plus tax $25.98
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • I get the change, the retreat issue shouldn't have been there to begin with. But it was. And it made up for the terrible RNG in the matchmaking system. They shouldn't have taken it out without really looking into and fixing some of the complaints of GW.
  • I think it's not force close vs retreat. It's that manybwill miss retreat mid battle. What amises menis that the reason anything changes is because people complain and call ither cheaters, slackers, cheesers, lazy dogs, etc. closing the app (even if not documented) was ok and so was retreat (even with it's huge defects, and that also wasn't know by many many people).

The thing I don't uderstand is those that make it their job to limit options to others. Like @Terrorize89 and many others, always vigilant of what others do....
  • @meanpride ....So restarting a battle and beating the team fairly is worst than avoiding taunts, buffs and debuffs, and sending low E-teams to waste specials is how to fight?

If avoiding traunts, debuffs, etc was the issue then fix that. This completely changed what retreat is and made it the stupid exploit. How anyone can assure the exploit was how it was ORIGINALLY intended and the in game FEATURE was not is mind boggling.

Make no mistake- FORCE CLOSE WAS AN EXPLOIT. I couldn't care less one way or another who did and doesn't do it so I'm not making any judgment. Now the exploit is a feature. Tons of us preferred the previous feature.

The fact that only some of the team knew the gw rng was pre-seeded (and i quote "heated discusion going on about this behind me right now") makes me think this change didn't have the effect they planned.
    --Nud Stark--
  • There is a benefit with this system. Apparently, if you want an easy GW, stop leveling and gearing up your top chars for arena and start leveling about 20-30 chars at the same time. You will get easier opponent in GW if your top char(s) is low in power. And the benefit you get from getting higher ranking in arena is not that high anyway (assuming you are not in the top 10).
  • @meanpride ....So restarting a battle and beating the team fairly is worst than avoiding taunts, buffs and debuffs, and sending low E-teams to waste specials is how to fight?

If avoiding traunts, debuffs, etc was the issue then fix that. This completely changed what retreat is and made it the stupid exploit. How anyone can assure the exploit was how it was ORIGINALLY intended and the in game FEATURE was not is mind boggling.

Make no mistake- FORCE CLOSE WAS AN EXPLOIT. I couldn't care less one way or another who did and doesn't do it so I'm not making any judgment. Now the exploit is a feature. Tons of us preferred the previous feature.

The fact that only some of the team knew the gw rng was pre-seeded (and i quote "heated discusion going on about this behind me right now") makes me think this change didn't have the effect they planned.

First of, all games are pre-seeded and everyone at CG knows that. Some didn't know they seed was fixed unless you change the team and Aaron stated it was a safety feature.

Second nobody said closing the app was wrong after 50 threads and many instigators calling half the user base cheaters. The functionality was posted months ago publicly too, plenty of time for CG to say "guys, pleae avoid that, we'll fix it". This includes you as a prime example of anti-other-players, so vocal that now that your exploit of auto debuff, anti neft, antibtaunt is gone, you once again flame against every one else.

Why can't you just focus on bringing back mid-battle retreat instead of again calling everyone names indirectly? I would (and many others) support you, as I have all inventives for you to have more fun.

• @Preemo_Magin
    @meanpride ....So restarting a battle and beating the team fairly is worst than avoiding taunts, buffs and debuffs, and sending low E-teams to waste specials is how to fight?

How is it fair if you can just keep on reseting a battle until rng favors you? Trial and error basically.

A more fair option: We can still retreat, but buffs and debuffs stick.

• Just noticed this myself. :o not in the patch notes!! what will this mean for GW without retreat?
  • Chico
    120 posts Member
    @meanpride ....So restarting a battle and beating the team fairly is worst than avoiding taunts, buffs and debuffs, and sending low E-teams to waste specials is how to fight?

Totally agree with this post and needs to be quoted.

The retreat feature as it originally was, separated GW from arena. I liked the change of pace and it was fun playing around with heals, cooldowns with swapping people in. Should i make my stormtroopers and ewok face a lone chewbacca? why the heck not?

Now it's just arena all over again. An arena grind from start to finish. All i'll be thinking of before i make the final kill of the round is, "was that round perfect? Could it have gone any better or could i have saved some cooldowns?" Yes. Repeat. Horrible.
  • There should really be no retreat and no force close. You make a team it gets you so far then they die. You use the next team etc...I doubt they wanted to you be micro managing retreats to get your 1 or 2 bad teams all the way through. You are supposed to have bunch of teams for this mode and build ones that counter the team your facing. The hard part should be building the team and trying to lose as little health as possible countering the opponent, not learning how retreat 15 times from a fight. I mean in any other game is tactically retreating 10 times a match really a thing? I feel like it was an abused feature that people used to get their arena teams through gw, instead of building multiple decent teams that worked well together and could counter other builds.

First of, all games are pre-seeded and everyone at CG knows that. Some didn't know they seed was fixed unless you change the team and Aaron stated it was a safety feature.

Second nobody said closing the app was wrong after 50 threads and many instigators calling half the user base cheaters. The functionality was posted months ago publicly too, plenty of time for CG to say "guys, pleae avoid that, we'll fix it". This includes you as a prime example of anti-other-players, so vocal that now that your exploit of auto debuff, anti neft, antibtaunt is gone, you once again flame against every one else.

Why can't you just focus on bringing back mid-battle retreat instead of again calling everyone names indirectly? I would (and many others) support you, as I have all inventives for you to have more fun.

You fought so hard for force close not to be cheating. You won. Hope you didn't also use retreat. Also hope you have a deep enough bench. Congrats!
  • If you are amazing, GW will get you about 600 a day now. Retreat was a great part of the fight. They should have fixed the force stop by building in a 20 auto save so if you did force stop you would pick up at the last 20 second timer. GB is pretty much dead. I feel like a fool for not 7*ing my lumi when I had the chance.
  • RyAsh
    123 posts Member
    GW is supposed to be end game content, a gauntlet of hard arena matches. The npc basically tells you you need a lot characters to do it, yet you think your supposed to do it with one team? The whole reason they reward you at each stage and not at the end only is because your not supposed to be able to finish it until you have built up a lot of the characters.
    And yet before I used 10 or 12 characters to complete, because I didn't force-close and had to be careful with strategy. Today I did it with 5.
    You guys have been cheesing your way through and now when it finally gets fixed the way it should have worked from the beginning you get angry.

I'm unhappy because I WASN'T "cheesing my way through", I was using strategy appropriate to a war (retreat and regroup, and manage resources) and that was taken away and I was told that "cheesing" is the only possible tool available now.
    They could have put in a reasonable solution for force-closing -- such as penalizing you for starting a match and then not finishing it, just as they do if you force-close a PvP match. Instead they put in a change that not only doesn't fix the problem, but basically tells everyone to do it.
    This is a case where no action would have been an improvement. The people who were force-closing now are legitimized, and the people who were using proper retreat/rotation strategies are now stuck with a boring game mode, the only part of the game that until now was interesting.
    It's lose-lose all around.

This.
    Melisan wrote: »
    GW just got boring that's all.

Change took me by unawares but still managed to complete.

Retreat was a lot more fun.

Now the only "strategic option" when facing superior firepower is throwing expendables into the meat grinder first.

...These
  • Yuri wrote: »
    If you do the enemies will go back to full HP, interesting how they left that out of the patch notes.

And it seems as though they've made it harder in both opposing team composition and damage scaling. My level 57s with gear nearly maxed for their level almost got slaughtered by the AI level 48s. Never happened before today. I of course couldn't finish the last fight.

Artificial difficulty, of course.

I've already started looking for a new game, luckily I have a pretty nice Marvel Future Fight account.
  • Chico
    120 posts Member
    @EwokRampage

I liked your guide to making an ewok team viable and I hope I can have a logical discussion with you about this.

I see your point that you want GW to be some sort of gauntlet that you try to beat as many rounds as you can with team A, adjust your counterattacking team to beat the next team that team A doesn't match up well to.

That's all well and good if you want to play GW that way. You have a choice. Just don't retreat. However, for those that enjoyed GW the way it was where swapping players was fun, I should have the option to do so if the mechanic was there to begin with.

Cheers, man and keep up the theorycrafting.
  • Terendol
    24 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    There should really be no retreat and no force close. You make a team it gets you so far then they die. You use the next team etc...I doubt they wanted to you be micro managing retreats to get your 1 or 2 bad teams all the way through. You are supposed to have bunch of teams for this mode and build ones that counter the team your facing. The hard part should be building the team and trying to lose as little health as possible countering the opponent, not learning how retreat 15 times from a fight. I mean in any other game is tactically retreating 10 times a match really a thing? I feel like it was an abused feature that people used to get their arena teams through gw, instead of building multiple decent teams that worked well together and could counter other builds.

Except every team I faced had Sid/Dooku/Phasma tonight. And lower levels (in the 40s) were dealing high 50s like damage. I am going to make a video. Surely a lot of people are complaining - I'm telling you right now, if they can roll out this update without even announcing it first, you don't think they're ninja enough to mess with the AI?

All they've done is punish new players and players entering end of last year. Jeez, this game is already 10x grindier than the other mobile RPG grinders out there. This was unnecessary and pretty much made me sick of the greed. Future Fight is so much more fair, and the GMs are way more generous with free resources.
  • Darivon
    134 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    A lot of negative comments goin on about that GW fix. So here is a different view.
    Just cleared another GW and to be honest .. i like this new GW feeling!
    Actually i like it a lot! It feels just like the first ones at level 40 before i read / started using all the retreat/FC stuff. After more than a month of everyday 12/12 GW it just felt more like doing chores. There was no fun in it cause you could simply retreat to dispell debuffs/swap stuff/reset CDs at the end etc etc. Made most of those fights just pretty pointless. Any Taunter/Vader/Ben/Barriss etc. was just a free win no matter how you played it. Only Droid teams/full dps were any kind of danger where you had to actually think about how to proceed. With the occasional sacrifice of a random toon. It was more like simming. Slot machine feeling for the rewards. Actually i was already pretty annoyed with GW cause all that retreating and clicking took too long for that random ewok shard in the end. Was just a hassle.
    NOW there is the feeling of accomplishment again cause you HAVE TO make more decisions like WHEN to heal, WHOM to field etc etc. It's a lot more rewarding cause you have to gauge every situation and balance pros and cons of using this particular skill at this particular moment. And actually watching TURN METER and making TACTICAL DECISIONS like: "Hmm attack the healer with Dooku cause she moves next and try to go for that stun/block or go for that double attack chance to finish Sid?"
    Since every decision hast a lasting effect for that day it actually becomes indeed meaningfull. Yes you have to retreat every now and then to try a different approach, use a different toon, etc but it's not that bad actually cause it resets the fight and gives you AND the opposing team another "fair" chance.
    Before there was this cheesy retreat with unfair advantages at your disposal and in case you were TOO SLOW to use those advantages or you weren't paying attention cause busy doing something else anyway, you THEN STILL had the " oops oh crp" option in FC on top of it. Means there was actually no way NOT-TO complete GW every single day.
    Let's be honest here everyone : GW was boring as ****.
    FYI i have exactly 13 toons full epic,skilled, starred and ready for PvP. 6 of them are 7*. A bunch of blue mid level stuff and a couple level 1s. That's not that much. But i was using only 5 of them 95% of the GW time anyway.
    Lumi (Lead), Sid, JC 5*, Dooku, Kylo=(random dps toon). Thats all you need(ed). The 1-2 JC Punch with Heal lvl 6 was/is pretty spamable. Works even at 5*.
    Yes of course it's possible to spam that retreat button and try every single battle like fifteen times till you manipulate the RNG to get that exact RNG-outcome you want but that's just cheap and a lot of effort. It smells cheap, it feels cheap, it is cheap. Everyone knows it. But to each their own. If you have the time, do whatever you want. Nobody is gonna judge you .. besides yourself. Actually even if you do it, whatever, it's YOUR fun you are diminishing not anyone elses. Do whatever you want as long as you re okay with it.
    Yes GW just got a lot harder and yes a lot of people won't be able to clear it 12/12 EVERY,SINGLE,DAY. And thats how IT SHOULD BE!
    BTW: Retreats used today = 5. Before the update = 10 - 15. With 2-3 FCs if needed against QGJ/Leia/Tie. Toons used today = 7. Casualties = 3.
    I would argue this new GW is faster AND more enjoyable. Win-win.
    TL;DR: Good Job CG. GW feels now like a real "battle of attrition". You might just have elevated the customer experience, even if it doesn't seem that way. It WAS the right thing to do. Gives the game more "Value".
    Post edited by Darivon on
  • J7000 wrote: »
    Anraeth wrote: »
    I just cleared it, seems to me that the retreat option is based upon turns before it saves when you retreat. Example, I blew up Dooku after a round of turns including heal. When Han used his taunt. I retreated, when I returned to battle Dooku was still dead and the last state. If you retreat after fewer moves it seems to revert back like a force close. My two cents at least.

So killing a enemy toon is permanent?

When you press the retreat button, it will goes back to THE BEGINNING of the match no matter how many characters dies on the battle before. So basically its a force close button.
  • There should really be no retreat and no force close. You make a team it gets you so far then they die. You use the next team etc...I doubt they wanted to you be micro managing retreats to get your 1 or 2 bad teams all the way through. You are supposed to have bunch of teams for this mode and build ones that counter the team your facing. The hard part should be building the team and trying to lose as little health as possible countering the opponent, not learning how retreat 15 times from a fight. I mean in any other game is tactically retreating 10 times a match really a thing? I feel like it was an abused feature that people used to get their arena teams through gw, instead of building multiple decent teams that worked well together and could counter other builds.

This guy again! AND he contributed to a very excellent post on some website about turn meters that rocked. Excellent info.

I just trained my Ewok scout from 28 to 44 in honor.

Let's remember, this a game who's existence is to make money through a delicate balance of having enough players willing to spend an extreme amount vs. everyone else, regardless if they spend nothing, 20$ or 1000$. It's well established that gaming apps derive 50% of their revenue from the top 1% of players. Once someone figures out a business model(if there even is) for apps that's better, that's the way it will remain. Free or moderate spending players will get their initial gratification, then as the app matures, the top 1% of paying players will get distinct advantages for the money they have spent, as they should. For non 1% players, it's on to the next app and the next instant gratification. There's only a shelf life of two years or so anyway. Unless the devs can hold the 1% playing. They are going to play something, and once an app reaches a certain time since inception, all updates by necessity will cater to them.
  • AndroiDad75
    59 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Something seems to be bugged with the rewards too. I just won a match and was "awarded 200 tokens" but I only received 100.