A Farewell: Why i leave this beloved game

Prev1
rilokiley1
10 posts Member
edited January 2016
A Farewell: Why i leave this beloved game

First let me say thank you for this lovely game. I played it for about the last 4-5 weeks every day.

I think the current game state is in good shape, the community managers in this forum and reddit are superb. One of the best i've seen for mobile games, other games doesn't have any communication at all or only through support. The cycling updates and upcoming features are very good, so you know this game is still developing with new upcoming features.

Now here is my main reason why i leave this game:

The current update made me think over why i play this game, what i enjoy about it and if it is worth it to keep going over the next 2-3 months to achieve specific milestones. I came to the conclusion the core design of this game isn't made for this kind of gamer i am.

So i can't play this game CASUALLY, means letting energy refreshes go and letting 1 day go without logging in. I did it twice on xmas and new years eve letting wasting energy refreshes... OMG ;). The competitive side of me tries to be as EFFECTIVE as possible and not being effective gives me a bad feeling like doing a poor job in something.

You can easily spend some Money for some shards if you are away from the game through the weekend but it just feels like cheating for me, so it is no longterm solution. I just found out this game influences my daily life way too much, i check my energy before i go to bed, when i wake up and multiple times during the day, making my last arena runs right before the prize reset at 6pm. This daily routine is also so darn inflexible (yes it's in nearly every mobile game).

While i spend for instance more than 600 hours gametime on games like Football Manager, i never felt the game influenced my daily life so much like GoH does, because there are no timers and while you have time at the weekend you can easily play it for 40 hours or so. This timer-based game is just horrible if you want to play all day and skip the next days. The day you play it feels unsatisfying and the days where you don't play it feels like loosing something.

This is like a collector's game for a long period of time, i don't mind collecting every day a piece of a big milestone, what i mind is the big influence on my daily life routine.

I know one big problem of it, is me only enjoying the game on a competitive level, being effective in this game, but playing casually, wasting energy refills by only login whenever i want or doing inefficient stuff doesn't give me a good feeling.

So shoutout to the developers, community managers and the community. It was a great ride the last 5 weeks but it's time to say goodbye from me. My highest rank is Top 20. That's a tragedy. But i'm feeling great to leave this game behind, giving me more than 2 hours a day back without having timers in my mind. :smile:

Greetings

Replies

• I understand what you're trying to say , if a habit is unhealthy for you then leave it. Wish you the best OP :)
  • rilokiley1 wrote: »
    I just found out this game influences my daily life way too much, i check my energy before i go to bed, when i wake up and multiple times during the day, making my last arena runs right before the prize reset at 6pm. This daily routine is also so darn inflexible (yes it's in nearly every mobile game).
    I don't usually respond to leaving post because they're bunch of attention **** but your case.. I can sympathize why you're leaving and its perfectly fine and I'm glad you did mate. Here is why:

This game is and will be our secondary job and to some its a full time job and the saddest part is that a lot of them will be paying their bill to EA to work xD

Anyway glad you found the dark side enticing you and getting away in time.

Don't be a Vader.
  • I'm pretty sure a whole bunch of us can relate to this, for those about to SWGoH, we salute you!
  • Byeee...
  • Cya
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Preemo_Magin
    1826 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I great reflection. I feel the same many times, but not ready to quit. Need more help from CG, as you said they are doing a good job. Barris almost oushed me to that end, but was fixable.

Maybe one could share the same account with someone, or some friends, and take turns, one week and one week. Or maybe thebgame could pause at least one day, letting you chose the day/days. I think it's too demanding and ultimately that is not so healthy.
  • Thanks for your kind words guys and gurls. As i said this is no rage quit. I feel very reliefed not having a timer in mind now and leaving the house not caring about if there is internet where i go. LOL But i don't regret the experience i had with this game. :smile:
  • Artas
    223 posts Member
    My son has left this game for exactly the same reason :)
  • I've been playing since October (part of beta I think) and I'm pretty casual, I'm usually around rank 2000 in arena cause I can't really be bothered with it. Those new features need to come sooner rather than later though, especially actual in game guilds.

• At the end of the day this is a mobile game, I doubt 99% of these people will be here next year.
  • This was the same reason I left Magic Rush and other games. It§s just matter of time when I leave GoH for the same reason.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Best "I quit playing" post I've seen B)
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • returnoftheewok
    469 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I'll probably quit in around april or may, and it has nothing to do with balance etc, the game just gets boring. The first time I got rank 1 there was a rush and excitement, 20-30 times later I could care less, and all I can go from here is down. That's why I could never understand pay to win players. You spend a thousand+ dollars to gain an advantage, you get #1, and then what?
  • Yes I have left a similar Starship game for the exact same reasons. I can't remember the name exactly and blood brothers because the pace was too demanding. At the moment I am not ready to quit, still having fun. SWGOH is not too demanding yet except for the very annoying inflexible 6pm arena sniping which I have to lose as I am normally still at work.
  • Bye!
  • akositzke
    273 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I've been debating this myself as well. I've gone through several SW related mobile games in the last year and a half - SW Assault Team originally, then Force Collection, Card Trader, Commander, Uprising and now this one. Each time I end up quitting the app because it ends up feeling more and more like a chore that's running my life instead of something I'm enjoying - or because they change something dramatically in-game that basically invalidates everything I'd done prior (looking at you Uprising). I am still hopeful that will not be the case with this app...but time will tell as the new GW update pushed it much closer to the 'chore' category.

On the positive side, you can go almost half a day without your energy maxing out, and if they fix the issue with shipments only refreshing every 6 hours if you're logged in at that time, then I would just be able to login for an hour before Arena rewards, an hour or so at daily reset and then maybe one other time or two in between if I had some spare time.

Now it's just a matter of discipline to put it down all the other times and not hop on and use up energy here and there or stare at it and wish there was something else to do :-P
  • I just want more characters in the arena shipments tbh...
  • At the end of the day this is a mobile game, I doubt 99% of these people will be here next year.

Clash of Clans is also a mobile game but people have been playing for 2-3 years... It strongly depends on the developers how they see the future of the game and what they want to do with it: to grab money and let it die or to think about the game as a long lasting project. The best example is Clash of Clans.
  • Ulysses wrote: »
    I just want more characters in the arena shipments tbh...

Yes, I'm personally saving my points for better toons in the future. Very lack luster list of toons right now.
  • I'll probably quit in around april or may, and it has nothing to do with balance etc, the game just gets boring. The first time I got rank 1 there was a rush and excitement, 20-30 times later I could care less, and all I can go from here is down. That's why I could never understand pay to win players. You spend a thousand+ dollars to gain an advantage, you get #1, and then what?

so they are paying to be #1 :) and also to have everything much much quicker :)
  • returnoftheewok
    469 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Artas wrote: »
    At the end of the day this is a mobile game, I doubt 99% of these people will be here next year.

Clash of Clans is also a mobile game but people have been playing for 2-3 years... It strongly depends on the developers how they see the future of the game and what they want to do with it: to grab money and let it die or to think about the game as a long lasting project. The best example is Clash of Clans.

I never played clash of clans, but I played star wars commander which is similar. The game was addicting but eventually it became a chore, I quit after 3 months.
  • returnoftheewok
    469 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    @Artas I dont even find it satisfying getting the #1 prize almost everyday anymore and I'm 100% f2p, i cant imagine pay to win players finding it satisfying either.
  • I'm leaving the game as well. Mainly because the level of grinding that appears to be coming for higher level character upgrades. Believe it or not I actually enjoy some grinding, but when I read I'm going to need 50 items to upgrade & I know that drops are say 1 in 3 at best I just think it's not worth it. I'll be upgrading one item a week if I'm lucky... Just not fun IMO

It's a good game though, and tbf I think the developers have got a good mix between F2P & P2P, so kudos for that
  • Ulysses wrote: »
    I just want more characters in the arena shipments tbh...

Yes, I'm personally saving my points for better toons in the future. Very lack luster list of toons right now.

Yup, I've got over 12k tokens saved up. One of these days they'll have to change it up a bit, and we'll be ready
  • Artas wrote: »
    At the end of the day this is a mobile game, I doubt 99% of these people will be here next year.

I never played clash of clans, but I played star wars commander which is similar. The game was addicting but eventually it became a chore, I quit after 3 months.

I tried SW Commander and still playing clash of clans (2 years)...they are different, believe me :) It also shows the number of downloads in google store :)
  • Quiting old habits can be easily replace by new one. After unstalling this game, dont look at your apps store to find new interesting game or else you are not quiting the old habits but simply finding novel.
  • Ztyle wrote: »
    Best "I quit playing" post I've seen B)

Yup, no crying about stuff, just matter of factly stating their thoughts, very nice to read, thanks to the OP for this :)

And I see the acdc, for those about to rock related reply whoever did it, :p
  • Anytime a game starts to interfere with life, it's time to make a change so good for you. In part, I did the same thing when a game started to take over when planning anything. At this point GoH isn't bad at all. The game I left was impossible to be competitive without a very large cash and time investment.

I was in a top five guild, taking number one position a few times. There were 5 guild battles a day which were at noon, 3, 6, 9pm and midnight for me. One day I realized my time, and life, were being consumed by a game and made the same decision to leave. Best wishes
  • I agree that the way it is set up, you can't really be casual in the way you state and advance at a decent pace. You can not care and stretch out building up the team but then you will fall behind in areas like the arena as well as GW which then means you will lose out on arena and GW credits which then means less shards. It's just a giant circle.

I do think it doesn't require too much time each day so there's that but if one just focuses on the competitive aspect (and doesn't pay to speed that up) then I could see how it would get to the point you mention it does for you.

I'm considering quitting because I'm getting a bit bored of the repetitive nature of it all but then I think about future characters (I want Yoda) that may be neat to collect so I figure I'll just keep putting in the time each day. I usually play early in the morning when eating my breakfast so it's not that big an inconvenience.
  • The timers can only be dealt with for so long. The devs will soon need to add a practice arena or something for this game to be played casually when the timers are resetting.