Why is everyone surprised that no one is talking?

Prev13
It makes me laugh all the posts of people complaining that the devs aren't speaking. What did you expect after last week, smiles and hugs? A slap on the back and a thank you for showing us the errors of our ways?

Pretty much everyone here complained about some portion of modgate. Either about modintro, or modcraft, or modnerf. These boards are vitriolic on a good week but last week was nuclear.

I'm not a dev apologist, or even supporter. I've had my fantasies of meeting John, smacking him in the face with a keyboard and saying "oh man you should have had Dukko as your leader" but how can anyone who's been reading these forums for the past 2 weeks be at all shocked that the devs are ignoring everyone?

Believe it or not, the devs do have a game plan. They intended mods to change the game completely, to progress it. And when games like this progress the past becomes outdated. That's how it works. New stuff comes out, new loot, new challenges, to progress through the new challenges you need to gear up with the new loot. Old loot becomes useless, forgotten by many, and easier to get for those who are behind the curve.

That's called progression.

In WoW, or EQ, or EQ, or etc, when you gain new loot it replaces the old loot entirely. Most swap the new item with the old one and click destroy, unless it can be given away or sold. You don't have a hissy fit and pout that the FBSS you camped for 30 hours to get is worthless now. You move on. Perhaps you bank it for memorabilia but you don't complain that it's gone. That's the nature of progress.

What the complainers of modintro did was stagnate the game. They had new content, a new raid, that was designed around the mods. They likely had other events planned or even ready to go as well. This is obvious by how plentiful they made mods, 100% drop rate, dropping in raids, the cost wasn't low but it was affordable.

That's progression. Woot! A new raid that would own anyone who wasn't modded up.

Now, instead of that we're going to get a shadow of the new raid. A watered down version pathetic by comparison and only a slight bump in difficulty. I hope everyone that whined is happy with themselves for this, your complaining accomplished 1 thing: Stagnation.

Devs do have at least half a clue. Sure they make some mistakes but overall they have a plan for the game.

Then we get modcraft, which was a horrid mistake. We'll never know if this was done to appease the whiners or because they realized mods were being introduced too quickly. Either is equally ridiculous. Regardless it was and is an epicly bad idea. I personally have 33 rank 5 mods that I'm not using, another 100+ of rank 4 or lower. My arena, raid, and GW teams are all full and I have 33 left over, making them harder to get is moot at this point.

Let the whining begin again! This time they have everyone who has any interest in mods involved.

Then we get modnerf a direct reaction to the whining over modinto. And while some of the original whiners are now content, everyone who was stockpiling mods and invested resources real or game are now mad and screaming.

So after a whole week of hate, all their work over the last 2 months being ditched and having to go back and tone it down, anyone is really surprised the devs aren't talking to us? ...

image.jpg

Next time they introduce new content to try to Progress the game, don't attack them. Maybe then they will be more open to communicating.

Replies

• Options
    THIS
    BECAUSE I'M BATMAN - me
  • dough
    641 posts Member
    Options
    I don't think "everybody" is surprised at all, from what I can see, the bar was set low to 'expect nothing/hope for very little' and they came through in spades.
  • fudgra
    982 posts Member
    Options
    At least they finally answered people complaining about the GW with a big "We have no plans on changing it". A shame they never acknowledged how many are unhappy that they spent all their credits on certain nerfed mods that they may not even use anymore.
  • Options
    Yes! To this post.

I think the frustration come in when you grind away for weeks/months towards one goal and just when you are close, they move the goalposts or add something that requires a whole new grind. Frustrating but that is the nature of the game.
  • Options
    Maybe, if they had done their due diligence and actually TESTED thier update, for more than 10 minutes, with REAL squads, not those unlimitedly funded super squads, they would have noticed the inherent problems and fixed them long before release. People would still have been upset about the new content and quit, but not on this scale. And for the record, I'd much rather have had them fix the bugs and issues that have been the plague of this game since day one, because that would have 1) made more players happy 2) garnered some leeway for previous mistakes 3) allowed them more time to TEST the new content and get it right (for once) before dropping an update that was totally broken. Watch a Ford commercial... Quality is Job 1, that's what people want. Quality. Quantity comes in time
  • Options
    They did test it. They knew it would raise the bar and they built content around that. What they didn't expect was the sheer amount of whining that took place. When an MMO releases a new expansion it comes with new gear that is better than the old gear and new content which is hard than the old content. Only once that I know of did a game company come out with an expansion that didn't build upon prior content, it was created for the "casual players." After years of whining for new content for themselves they got it, and it was a flop. Worst expansion in EQ's history.

You only assume they didn't test it because it didn't fit with what you wanted.

I agree they should be fixing bugs, they should have 1 person who is dedicated to just that, however bug fixes are rarely a priority because even the player base doesn't care. 80% of the time they've already worked around the bug and the bugfix only makes a minority of players happy while the rest are screaming for new content.

If ford actually lived up to that motto then their nickname wouldn't be Found On Road Dead.

There was plenty of discussion on GW pre modgate. The problem is that you cannot please everyone. You've got people complaining they can't beat it period, people saying it's too easy, people saying it's doable but takes too much time, etc etc. Opinions from everyone regarding everything, some valid, many not. In my opinion GW should have been a payday, but a marathon to get it. I think it should start weak and build upwards with rewards reflecting that, around about node 6 or 8 we should be getting the old payout, and 7/9-12 should be new rewards tuned for 50-80 each time there's a level raise then you add a new node and change the achievement so it's based on # of nodes won rather than completing the entire thing.

But now we have discussion on exactly zip. We have gimped mods, and a soon to be released gimped raid that I bet will be broken because while they are adjusting it now to reflect the gimp mods, I doubt the devs are very interested in having to go back and retune it just because the players flipped them the bird.

There's a time to complain, when something is actually broken. Progression isn't broken, it's how games evolve.

They shouldn't have backed down. They should have left mods as they were, introduced the new raid, and continued on. And I bet that the players that did leave would have been back, and they'd have been whining because they left and got left behind. But that's what happens when you take your toys and go home, you get left behind.

I was afraid this would happen after the jedi event. Not only did they pull it, but they appeased the whiners with an omega event. That sent a poor message, that if you scream and moan and whine, you will be rewarded. The problem is that doesn't make for satisfied children, it makes for spoiled brats.

And when everyone is complaining that the raid doesn't appear like the video we saw, remember, the whiners wanted gimpy content.
  • RedSix
    92 posts Member
    Options
    FebaBott wrote: »
    I've had my fantasies of meeting John, smacking him in the face with a keyboard and saying "oh man you should have had Dukko as your leader" but how can

That paragraph had me laughing so hard!
  • Options
    SDCC ... They needed something to talk about so they rushed out mods. And apparently more that they couldn't actually release.

You will get no response till a week after sdcc.
  • Options
    Can't compare this game to MMOs. It's a different game model, and progression is much slower. Huge unscaled changes are a disaster in this game.
  • Fearbeard
    100 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Pretty sure the comedy of errors they made on modweek shows they really don't have a clue.

If they believed in their original image then they should have stuck with it. Explain to people how it will make the game better. Instead they slaughtered the drop rate and made them twice as expensive. After that the entire thing was doomed.

Don't blame the players for being shocked and striking back at the mod system that completely changed the balance of the game and came out of nowhere. Blame it on the devs who made mistake after mistake the entire week.
  • Qyxstyx
    46 posts Member
    Options
    They did test it. They knew it would raise the bar and they built content around that. What they didn't expect was the sheer amount of whining that took place. When an MMO releases a new expansion it comes with new gear that is better than the old gear and new content which is hard than the old content.

Seriously I doubt they did a lot of testing in general. This game has way too many breaking bugs to think that to be true at all.

Also, you bring up MMOs like WOW a lot. Personally, I've played WoW for years. I've never experienced playing an expansion and within days I'm uber powered beyond belief.

With mods, you saw toons becoming orders of magnitude more powerful. So strong that one toon with mods can take out teams of pre mod toons.

With WoW that would eventually happen but only after months of grinding and getting high end raid gear. Not overnight.

The error was that progression was way too much for the time taken.

• dough
    641 posts Member
    Options
    so you drone on like a jilted woman about whiners... hope the irony isn't lost on you.
    They did test it. They knew it would raise the bar and they built content around that. What they didn't expect was the sheer amount of whining that took place. When an MMO releases a new expansion it comes with new gear that is better than the old gear and new content which is hard than the old content. Only once that I know of did a game company come out with an expansion that didn't build upon prior content, it was created for the "casual players." After years of whining for new content for themselves they got it, and it was a flop. Worst expansion in EQ's history.

You only assume they didn't test it because it didn't fit with what you wanted.

I agree they should be fixing bugs, they should have 1 person who is dedicated to just that, however bug fixes are rarely a priority because even the player base doesn't care. 80% of the time they've already worked around the bug and the bugfix only makes a minority of players happy while the rest are screaming for new content.

If ford actually lived up to that motto then their nickname wouldn't be Found On Road Dead.

There was plenty of discussion on GW pre modgate. The problem is that you cannot please everyone. You've got people complaining they can't beat it period, people saying it's too easy, people saying it's doable but takes too much time, etc etc. Opinions from everyone regarding everything, some valid, many not. In my opinion GW should have been a payday, but a marathon to get it. I think it should start weak and build upwards with rewards reflecting that, around about node 6 or 8 we should be getting the old payout, and 7/9-12 should be new rewards tuned for 50-80 each time there's a level raise then you add a new node and change the achievement so it's based on # of nodes won rather than completing the entire thing.

But now we have discussion on exactly zip. We have gimped mods, and a soon to be released gimped raid that I bet will be broken because while they are adjusting it now to reflect the gimp mods, I doubt the devs are very interested in having to go back and retune it just because the players flipped them the bird.

There's a time to complain, when something is actually broken. Progression isn't broken, it's how games evolve.

They shouldn't have backed down. They should have left mods as they were, introduced the new raid, and continued on. And I bet that the players that did leave would have been back, and they'd have been whining because they left and got left behind. But that's what happens when you take your toys and go home, you get left behind.

I was afraid this would happen after the jedi event. Not only did they pull it, but they appeased the whiners with an omega event. That sent a poor message, that if you scream and moan and whine, you will be rewarded. The problem is that doesn't make for satisfied children, it makes for spoiled brats.

And when everyone is complaining that the raid doesn't appear like the video we saw, remember, the whiners wanted gimpy content.

• Options
    Well i liked the mod idea that gonna give the bad toons a chance to compete and create new metas, if u get 50% dmg but the other get50% def u are like before but with more combinations, the bad idea was putting the lvl5 mods too early, if they just put lvl 1 for all ... the game was desbalanced very fast, now they are nerfed.
  • Videian28
    47 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think it is funny as hell that you sit here and call everyone whiners, then talk about the fact that you have modded every single character with 5* mods, and have a ton left over.

Ever think of those that might have missed those two days? And now spend 3-400 cantina energy for one 3* mod?
    Post edited by ShaolinPunk on
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options
    fudgra wrote: »
    At least they finally answered people complaining about the GW with a big "We have no plans on changing it". A shame they never acknowledged how many are unhappy that they spent all their credits on certain nerfed mods that they may not even use anymore.

Because GW is working fine as is. I'm glad they aren't doing anything to tweak it yet again.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Options
    Here is their post to refresh our memories and the meaning/translation below

This post will be deleted in 3..2...1...

Why do you need to create multiple posts on exact same content? It's not funny the first time I read it, it's getting super lame when you post duplicate posts.
  • Options
    This wasn't like getting new gear in a WoW type game at all. In those games you use the old gear to obtain the new. A level 80 doesn't have to worry about getting beat by a level 60 getting that new gear, because the level 60 isn't strong enough to defeat the content to get said gear. The mods challenge was extremely easy to complete, so almost anyone could get the new max mods and put them on any characters. It broke the balance of the game.
  • Options
    Oh right, initial mods so good that 1 person could solo the entire heroic raid by himself . Yup. Quality testing.
  • Options
    To me the main problem is arena, which was acknowledged early on but never addressed in any update.
  • dough
    641 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    tRRRey wrote: »

Because GW is working fine as is. I'm glad they aren't doing anything to tweak it yet again.

saying something repeatedly doesn't necessarily make it true.

we get it; your entire existence consists of you playing this game -- and gloating on an internet forum is as good as life gets for you... maybe you'll realize some of us have things external to swgoh that take up the bulk of our time: wives/GFs, families, jobs, stuff like that...
  • Scourge194
    390 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OP you write gud! You're wrong though.

Yes they had an idea and it was good. However, it was inadequately thought through and consequently poorly implemented.
    Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    Naw. They are quiet because there is nothing they can say to appease everyone. Opening a dialog with this mob is a recipe for fail. Anything they say can and will be used against them in vigilante court. And the only thing they can say that won't get them lynched is to say "yes, we will make concessions. More credits, easier GW, yes we were wrong. We were greedy. You guys are right." And that is not what they want to do, so why say it?

After the hotheads cool off and/or are ejected, most of what's left will forget what the heck they were mad about. Half the complaints don't even make sense.
  • Options
    LastJedi wrote: »
    Half the complaints don't even make sense.

Half of them do
    Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side.
  • Options
    You don't have a hissy fit and pout that the FBSS you camped for 30 hours to get is worthless now. You move on.

**** straight. With my CoF from my first Naggy raid! Woot! Good post.
  • MrMorph
    14 posts Member
    Options
    How cool another post from a guy who acts like he is Alpha and Omega and knows everything. Thank you for calling almost everyone whiners and explaining us why mods were great in the beginning. We wouldn't thought about that if it wasn't you.

Ok enough irony and let's get to the point. I totally disagree with few of the points that you have made here.
    Believe it or not, the devs do have a game plan. They intended mods to change the game completely, to progress it. And when games like this progress the past becomes outdated. That's how it works. New stuff comes out, new loot, new challenges, to progress through the new challenges you need to gear up with the new loot. Old loot becomes useless, forgotten by many, and easier to get for those who are behind the curve.
    In WoW, or EQ, or EQ, or etc, when you gain new loot it replaces the old loot entirely. Most swap the new item with the old one and click destroy, unless it can be given away or sold. You don't have a hissy fit and pout that the FBSS you camped for 30 hours to get is worthless now. You move on. Perhaps you bank it for memorabilia but you don't complain that it's gone. That's the nature of progress.

You call mods at first iteration being a progress. I am not an expert in online games, as I have not played most of the popular titles, but calling first iteration of the mods being a progress just struck me down. Let me tell you one thing I did part in what other players call precraft 2.0 and after 2 days I had endgame mods. I am not sure how can you name buying power a progress, because you could easily buy all those mods with money. It's like they would increase level cap with new gear and after 2 days 5-10% of the players run with max level and max gear... For me progress is when it takes more than just money to get some end game stuff.

When I have gotten those end game mods, for me it felt like game is broken. Critting with Rey for 40k felt like cheating. I am a software developer myself and to be honest with you I would never release all mods from t1-t5 in a single update. I would release 2 tiers instead and see how people would feel about them. In that way new content wouldn't feel so game breaking and I would have much more time to balance things out.

What I really think about those mods is that they have released overpowered version of those at first, just in order to make people spend lots of money. They knew many people will start to whine, while whales would spend lots of money on those. Then they graciously released two nerfs for mods and explain to us that it's, because people disliked mods much more than they were expecting. They didn't adjust raid difficulty, with first mod iteration or anything, they've just released overpowered stuff without adding places to use it and have some challenge in there.

I also do not understand people saying that mods are useless right now. Just because you are not able to solo t7 raid anymore, or kill arena teams in 30 sec? I am using mods and before acquiring them I was top 5 on arena and now I finish 1st everyday. My damage in T7 raids increased by 300%. I have an idea to all the people that say mods are useless now - go ahead and remove them from all toons and try to play like this for a week.

Ohh and one more thing, there were lots of great topics about what was broken with the mods in first iteration, not only from F2P. However some of you tend to see only what you want to believe in.

• Xenith
    267 posts Member
    Options
    The main issue here is that we All spent credits on nerfed mods ...most people just wants them to reset the mods to lvl 1 and reimburse our credits
  • Options
    It makes me laugh all the posts of people complaining that the devs aren't speaking. What did you expect after last week, smiles and hugs? A slap on the back and a thank you for showing us the errors of our ways?

Pretty much everyone here complained about some portion of modgate. Either about modintro, or modcraft, or modnerf. These boards are vitriolic on a good week but last week was nuclear.

I'm not a dev apologist, or even supporter. I've had my fantasies of meeting John, smacking him in the face with a keyboard and saying "oh man you should have had Dukko as your leader" but how can anyone who's been reading these forums for the past 2 weeks be at all shocked that the devs are ignoring everyone?

What the complainers of modintro did was stagnate the game. They had new content, a new raid, that was designed around the mods. They likely had other events planned or even ready to go as well. This is obvious by how plentiful they made mods, 100% drop rate, dropping in raids, the cost wasn't low but it was affordable.

That's progression. Woot! A new raid that would own anyone who wasn't modded up.

Now, instead of that we're going to get a shadow of the new raid. A watered down version pathetic by comparison and only a slight bump in difficulty. I hope everyone that whined is happy with themselves for this, your complaining accomplished 1 thing: Stagnation.

Devs do have at least half a clue. Sure they make some mistakes but overall they have a plan for the game.

Then we get modcraft, which was a horrid mistake. We'll never know if this was done to appease the whiners or because they realized mods were being introduced too quickly. Either is equally ridiculous. Regardless it was and is an epicly bad idea. I personally have 33 rank 5 mods that I'm not using, another 100+ of rank 4 or lower. My arena, raid, and GW teams are all full and I have 33 left over, making them harder to get is moot at this point.

Let the whining begin again! This time they have everyone who has any interest in mods involved.

Then we get modnerf a direct reaction to the whining over modinto. And while some of the original whiners are now content, everyone who was stockpiling mods and invested resources real or game are now mad and screaming.

So after a whole week of hate, all their work over the last 2 months being ditched and having to go back and tone it down, anyone is really surprised the devs aren't talking to us? ...

image.jpg

Next time they introduce new content to try to Progress the game, don't attack them. Maybe then they will be more open to communicating.

@FebaBott

Agreed, though GW is utterly broke for mid tier FTP. This is me sympathizing, it doesn't effect me.

Also, you forgot UO..

We NEED houses!!
  • Options
    OP has some valid points...
    I agree on pretty much everything except the testing!
    If PvE would have been adjusted for mods, or a new raid released with the rancor being pulled while giving same rewards + something new, i guess the outrage might not have been that immense!

I do believe they thought gamechanging mods to be a good idea, and i fully agree! Problem was dropping too much on us too quick!

However, the pre-nerf mods would have gives us a lot more viable toons!
    Instead of toon X is bad, needs a buff, we would have been able to make toon X good ourself! Finally some sort of individuality!

Mods are still useful, although very overpriced and the new raid will be made for these mods! I just hope its being released soon! We are running out of ideas to stall our guildies from finishing heroic too quick
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    dough wrote: »
    tRRRey wrote: »

saying something repeatedly doesn't necessarily make it true.

we get it; your entire existence consists of you playing this game -- and gloating on an internet forum is as good as life gets for you... maybe when you grow up a little you'll realize some of us have things external to swgoh that take up the bulk of our time: wives/GFs, families, jobs, stuff like that...

Don't assume. :wink: it's not my fault I spend less time finishing GW while all you can do is complain about it. And judging by how much you do whine I don't think I'm the one that spends an inordinate amount of time around this game :smile:
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!