Character Strategy- CC-2224 “Cody”

Prev13456710
Kozispoon
3245 posts EA Staff (retired)
edited January 2017
CC-2224 “Cody”

0pq22z70yno3.png

Clone Attacker that Stuns and calls tons of Assists.

Unlocks at 3 Stars (50 Shards)

Available from: Chromium Packs

Abilities

BASIC Attack – Alpha Strike:
  • Deal Physical damage to target enemy and gain 5% Turn Meter. Gain an additional 5% Turn Meter if that enemy has more than 50% Health, and an additional 5% Turn Meter if that enemy has less than 50% Turn Meter. [Ability Upgrades Increase Damage and Turn Meter Gain]

SPECIAL Attacks
  • AT-TE Mass-Driver Cannon Deal Special damage to target enemy and 65% less damage to all other enemies. If this attack scores at least 2 Critical Hits, Stun the primary target for 1 turn. [Ability Upgrades Reduce the Damage Penalty, Increase the Damage and Reduce the Cooldown.]

3cgb2mqtnzh5.gif

• The 212th Attack - Call all Clone allies and one random ally to assist. These Assists deal 70% less damage. Each time an Assist scores a Critical Hit, reduce the Cooldown of this ability by 1 [Ability Upgrades reduce the damage penalty.]
  • Leader Ability: Ghost Company Commander
  • Clone allies gain 10% Critical Chance, and other allies gain half that amount. Cody gains 5% Defense for each living Clone ally [Ability Upgrades increase Critical Chance and Defense.]

ete1zf1avo9x.gif

General Strategy

Commander Cody is a clone leader with a lot of Attack Synergy and Utility. His basic grants him Turn Meter, his special attacks have a chance to stun and he can call in a full team of allies to assist him. His relatively low health will be partially offset by the defense advantage he gains from Clone allies.

Hero Synergies
  • Commander Cody, as a Clone Trooper Commander is a natural fit for a clone team. His leader ability offers Clones up to 25% Crit Chance and the presence of Clone Allies will boost his own survivability through Defense.
  • His leader ability also opens the clones up to a hybrid synergy due to his leader ability offering half of its benefit to non-clones and his assist call will call one non-clone as well. This allows for experimentation to maximize your team and/or fill in gaps in your team while you build your own clone army.

Where to Use

The clones are a valid team throughout the game, from Arena to Raid. Each PvP Ladder is a bit different, but the clones are definitely worth a shot in PvP arena. In raid, their Turn-Meter synergy is very strong and will allow you to get off many extra attacks throughout the encounter.
Due to the amount of self-healing and turn meter gain that the Clones offer, they can be successful in pretty much any game play mode. You have your choice of 3 clone leaders now with Rex, Fives, and now Cody to adapt the Clone Party to your personal play style.
Thank you for your patience 8D Forum Guidelines
Post edited by Kozispoon on

Replies

• Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Low hp keeps him and clones from breaking the meta... Excellent in raids and GW bit I drop a lot in arena cause he and darth maul share a similar "Rey food" issue
  • Hammer
    35 posts Member
    His health is low, but when geared up, and modded with Heath and protection, I love him. I run a 4 clone team in PvP and have been in the 30s since I've introduced him. I don't think many people attack me because it's such a different team than your typically Dooku lead Rey/QGJ/RG teams.

I'm a fan of his, he's a really fun add into a clone team and once you adjust your attack strategy for his TM gain he shines.
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    His hp and protection are absurdly low. He basically needs to modded completely for hp/protection to be remotely viable in arena. It feels like he had been tuned based on flat bonuses via mods initially but seeing that flat bonuses are no longer available on primary, this is looking like a design flaw. I'm assuming the gifs above are from the dev testing done. You can clearly see that this (and presumably most of the testing for cody) is pre-nerfs on mods. The number of health pips on those clones are no longer possible to attain.

He is basically a slow glass cannon without any survival skills. Every other toon that falls into this category has been proven to be useless in arena (think darth maul). Without mods, he easily gets 1 shot by rey. With mods, u get him to turn 2 if you are lucky.

Also, defense on his leader skill seems like an afterthought. This could have been something more useful to increase survivability overall which is a recurring deficiency of most clones. Again, this could have worked with flat defense bonuses (secondary flat defense bonuses are too marginal to have much of an impact). An interesting idea I had was to swap his defense bonus (which is largely ineffective) out for a revive chance based on the number of clone allies alive. Something in the ballpark of ~60% revive would require opponents to choose to focus cody or the other clones first, indirectly making him more survivable. Unlike other self revive toons (HK, Boba), Cody actually can do some damage and poses a real threat if not dealt with.

In raids, he does reasonably well, having almost cleared P1 as leader in a full clone team.

Considering the cost to attain Cody (and full clones), it feels like he is missing a key piece to bring everyone together. He needs something to give them a bit of sustain. Lately it feels like there is no advantage to buying a p2p character. They seem to be held back too much and often featuring unnecessarily complicated mechanics.

I have a maxed clone team which I have been playing for some time now, usually with JKA and I have thoroughly tested many different team combinations. JKA lead is the most arena viable with the correct mods, and Cody lead is the best raid set up.

@CG_Kozispoon, please consider this feedback on this iconic SW character. I sincerely hope that some tweaks will be made here.
    Post edited by Josh_K on
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    "The clones are a valid team throughout the game"
    Except that 3 of these 5 are under a pay wall impossible to breach for 99% of the playerbase.
  • Designed as intended. They don't release a character with flaws.
  • Yea lets have more power for the p2p toons, cause the whales don't have enough advantage over the f2p player base already with precraft 2.0

I understand they need to have some incentive to make people spend stupendous amounts of money on this game, but they also shouldn't just give a p2p team an auto win programming, cause how is that fair on the f2p players. Although they are mostly ignored when it comes to implementing things in this game cause devs don't care about them if they aren't spending, the only point in the f2p's for them is making up numbers to boast or possibly bringing other people into the game who do spend, no other purpose from a devs perspective.
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    At the end of the day, players paying to access premium content should be getting their money's worth. People pay to have access to exclusive content and that is completely understandable. This does not suggest that p2p characters should be inherently better than f2p characters.

In fact, the trend over the last few months has shown a large number of p2p toons having limited effectiveness in many of the game modes. Exceptions to this trend are sun fac, rex and possibly B2, with rex truly being the only one that shines in every game mode.

Now at the very least, p2p toons should be competitive with the current meta of f2p. In this example of Cody, he frequently dies before he gets to move in arena. He is designed to work with 4 clones at least, looking at this skill set and sub-optimal if not (meaning you might as well sub him out for rey, the universal replacement for failed synergy). The only remote chance of getting Cody to move before Rey/QGJ/GS pound him to death is if Rex is able to use Squad discipline. He is just that slow. Now, the AI never uses squad discipline unless a debuff is present. Low to zero chance of this happening on defense.

Now you could argue that mods can fix this. However, game balance should be based on end game viability and any mods I place on this clone team will arguably work better on a meta team which is inherently faster and stronger.

So I put this question to you, $1000 to get a clone team going. Pretty cool as you fire up the battle. How do you now feel as the opposing Rey proceeds to 1 shot Cody on the first move? This has nothing to do with making p2p toons overpowered, everything to do with creating competitive balance.
  • Clone
    20 posts Member
    So working as intended what we already saw on reddit video.

Nice to know that this is how game will progress to... call assist of the assist to assist and assist again. Target will be dead.
  • By the time he is farmable he will be neefed to the ground. Smh
    Yes Yoda is worth farming
  • I've put probably $300+ to try to get Echo, got him but only 3*, I may not be the mastermind behind this game but I think putting a rotation on the shard shop for grevious and some of the harder to get characters would make for a lot more time put in the game for lots of ppl or just make it a bit simpler and just put Echo, Rex, and Cody in the shops maybe put Cody in a bit later, yeah it would make the clones easier to get but ppl would still have to put a lot of time to get decent clone team
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    I don't care how good premium toons are, as long as they are made available to ftp.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • F2p can't expect access to the same toons as p2w, that's the whole business concept. Why pay for a character if everyone can get them for free?
  • Josh_K wrote: »
    His hp and protection are absurdly low. He basically needs to modded completely for hp/protection to be remotely viable in arena. It feels like he had been tuned based on flat bonuses via mods initially but seeing that flat bonuses are no longer available on primary, this is looking like a design flaw. I'm assuming the gifs above are from the dev testing done. You can clearly see that this (and presumably most of the testing for cody) is pre-nerfs on mods. The number of health pips on those clones are no longer possible to attain.

He is basically a slow glass cannon without any survival skills. Every other toon that falls into this category has been proven to be useless in arena (think darth maul). Without mods, he easily gets 1 shot by rey. With mods, u get him to turn 2 if you are lucky.

Also, defense on his leader skill seems like an afterthought. This could have been something more useful to increase survivability overall which is a recurring deficiency of most clones. Again, this could have worked with flat defense bonuses (secondary flat defense bonuses are too marginal to have much of an impact). An interesting idea I had was to swap his defense bonus (which is largely ineffective) out for a revive chance based on the number of clone allies alive. Something in the ballpark of ~60% revive would require opponents to choose to focus cody or the other clones first, indirectly making him more survivable. Unlike other self revive toons (HK, Boba), Cody actually can do some damage and poses a real threat if not dealt with.

In raids, he does reasonably well, having almost cleared P1 as leader in a full clone team.

Considering the cost to attain Cody (and full clones), it feels like he is missing a key piece to bring everyone together. He needs something to give them a bit of sustain. Lately it feels like there is no advantage to buying a p2p character. They seem to be held back too much and often featuring unnecessarily complicated mechanics.

I have a maxed clone team which I have been playing for some time now, usually with JKA and I have thoroughly tested many different team combinations. JKA lead is the most arena viable with the correct mods, and Cody lead is the best raid set up.

@CG_Kozispoon, please consider this feedback on this iconic SW character. I sincerely hope that some tweaks will be made here.

Josh,

Thank you for putting this feedback together and I have to tell you I couldn't agree more. I've tested every single squad comp for clones and can't scratch the top twenty. All my clones are maxed gear and maxed mods (Tested about a hundred of these too :/ ) All I've seen so far from the devs is they are fixing the broken Echo issue which by the way is the only thing that even gives me a chance against the current meta. I love your idea for the revive chance and might be able to live with how much of a wet tissue he is if there were something like that to keep him around a little longer. Heck Id even go for a crappy % dodge chance like the current old bearded white men leaders have that litter my server.

Great write up again. Thank you!
    Ally Code 285-115-111
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Hybridplug wrote: »
    F2p can't expect access to the same toons as p2w, that's the whole business concept. Why pay for a character if everyone can get them for free?

But this is a free game. Everyone should get access to all the toons eventually.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • I agree, the clones are basically a P2P squad and it shouldnt be that way. Unfortunately it is and it would be nice to have a constructive conversation about him if possible.

With Mods I was able to get his HP and Prot to total about 28k, so he can take a couple shots. I still need to get Cody is gear 10 Furnace and purple plate things, which will help a little.

- Arena
    Leaders: Ive tried both Rex and JKA and I feel like JKA is the better leader. The added punch for Codys assist plus gaining advantage for dodges helps. Plus having JKAs passive for him to gain turns when an ally is <50% helps too. I want to try Old Ben and Dooku as well to help with survivability and add some control.

Squads: This has been fun, not sure which is best yet.

1. JKA, Rex, Cody, Echo, Sarge: Very powerful but can run out of steak with some unlucky dodges.

2. JKA, Rex, Cody, Echo, 5s: Also powerful. 5s gives it a little more late in the game power plus his assist is powerful in a mostly Clone squad

3. JKA, Rex, Cody, 5s, ST Han: This team is in right now as I'm hoping it will defend a little, see where Im at in the morning

@Durrun Have you done anymore Cody testing?
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    Tried running Cody leader and wasn't too impressed, I love the crit chance and it gets my Sarge crit up to like 73% but the defence it gives Cody isn't too big. Jka isn't a good lead but with all the droid teams in my ranking I'm sticking with the Rex lead for now. I love him in raid he's crazy with my clone and Teebo squad with the extra assist. Overall really solid with a slight hp issue but I'm still not sure I can hold my spot in top 15 with him on squad at current time... Least not on my droid overrun shard.
  • Durrun wrote: »
    Tried running Cody leader and wasn't too impressed, I love the crit chance and it gets my Sarge crit up to like 73% but the defence it gives Cody isn't too big. Jka isn't a good lead but with all the droid teams in my ranking I'm sticking with the Rex lead for now. I love him in raid he's crazy with my clone and Teebo squad with the extra assist. Overall really solid with a slight hp issue but I'm still not sure I can hold my spot in top 15 with him on squad at current time... Least not on my droid overrun shard.

@Durrun Thanks for sharing Ill have to spend more time with Rex lead. My servers top20 is mostly Evade leads, with a couple Teebo and 1 Phasma, 1 QGJ. Have you given any thought to Plo Koon as a 5th to boost their TM and Defense Up? Having another dispel would be nice if you can boost his potency.
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    @Darth_Jay77 I highly recommend against plo, he sounds good on paper but just cause his abilities mention clones I don't find him worthy of the slot. Vs evasion teams you actually might use JKA he welcomes the dodges, Rex is mostly for vs fast Rey St Han combos or droids. You could even use Cody lead vs evasion to make actual hits, crits. Also side note potency will not affect dispel, only applying negative effects. It will help his defence down debuff but if you need the dispel I'd chuck in a sun Fac if you got him but I personally am still rockin the RG
    @Darth_Jay77 I highly recommend against plo, he sounds good on paper but just cause his abilities mention clones I don't find him worthy of the slot. Vs evasion teams you actually might use JKA he welcomes the dodges, Rex is mostly for vs fast Rey St Han combos or droids. You could even use Cody lead vs evasion to make actual hits, crits. Also side note potency will not affect dispel, only applying negative effects. It will help his defence down debuff but if you need the dispel I'd chuck in a sun Fac if you got him but I personally am still rockin the RG

@Durrun Ive found that Codys assist is pretty much a kill against Rey with JKA lead or at least major damage against a larger character. A couple people run 5s and it seems like Clones have a hard time killing him. Still struggling with an appropriate mix.
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    I need my own 5s and or Rex alive to deal with the enemy double tapping 5s.. Couple 5s v 5s rounds are hilarious to watch, mine usually trumps cause he's got 86k hp and crits 6k on counter lol
    I need my own 5s and or Rex alive to deal with the enemy double tapping 5s.. Couple 5s v 5s rounds are hilarious to watch, mine usually trumps cause he's got 86k hp and crits 6k on counter lol

Yes those are funny. Got to mess around with different things. Tried Phasma lead, not too good
  • Old Ben lead was interesting, need to leave it overnight and see
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    Hey @Darth_Jay77 what's your opinion on ani lead? Mine wasn't high enough gear to leave him in rank 10 arena but he's getting there now and the damage boost is a consideration for 5s... I mention 5s because those double counters really add up, not to mention the offence up and hits ani brings himself. You're really lovin the Cody though eh?
  • DarthZannaH
    577 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    KnightG8 wrote: »
    I've put probably $300+ to try to get Echo, got him but only 3*, I may not be the mastermind behind this game but I think putting a rotation on the shard shop for grevious and some of the harder to get characters would make for a lot more time put in the game for lots of ppl or just make it a bit simpler and just put Echo, Rex, and Cody in the shops maybe put Cody in a bit later, yeah it would make the clones easier to get but ppl would still have to put a lot of time to get decent clone team

100% this!!!! My ECHO is forever at 23/100 since I stopped buying chromiuns back in May... Rex and 5s are fully operational at *7 tho (sad...)
    Do or do not...
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Durrun wrote: »
    Hey @Darth_Jay77 what's your opinion on ani lead? Mine wasn't high enough gear to leave him in rank 10 arena but he's getting there now and the damage boost is a consideration for 5s... I mention 5s because those double counters really add up, not to mention the offence up and hits ani brings himself. You're really lovin the Cody though eh?

I like JKA lead to be honest, I keep going back to it. The squad hits a lot harder and his AOE is pretty clutch sometimes. My server is mostly evade leads and he seems to be strong against them. Perhaps not a true counter to evasion but useful none-the-less with granting Advantage to dodges. The problem with having him in there I feel like you can't use RG or another tank because you risk calling in RG instead of JKA for Cody's ability. The benefit to having him and 4 other clones is that the squad is very aggressive. I've found that I can takeout a max Rey with HP & Prot mods first turn generally and then go from there. I think the squad needs 5's over Sarge too. Sarge does a little extra damage but you need 5's survivability. Still playing with it, would be curious to see what you think.

I just got a new Mod for Cody that grants 20% Prot as a primary stat and has 2100 protection as a secondary with some speed and potency, so I modestly improved his ability to take hits. Cody is just a fun character and I love playing squads that have such great synergy together. The only squad better than that are probably the Ewoks. The Clones just play off each other so well.

Edit: When I say JKA's AOE can be clutch, is because sometimes Cody's attacking leaves the opponent hanging on by a thread and Echo is kind of slow to come back and detonate the Taunt. JKA can just finish off the target with his AOE instead.
    Post edited by Darth_Jay77 on
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    image_zps6gnr4sbh.png

@Darth_Jay77 "I think the squad needs 5's over Sarge too. Sarge does a little extra damage but you need 5's survivability."

See above sarges "little extra damage" XD
    Man sarge IS your damage Cody has a sweet assist hit but codys assist without sarge is only about 5000 more damage then sarge without Codys assist. XD I'd honestly leave Rex out before I left sarge out of a squad just personally. He's easily top tier damage and the clones need that extra hit. When 5s takes his first turn and calls an assist if he calls Sarge the attacked character dies, flat out. 5s crits for 12k on his assist followed by a 23k from sarge with Ani lead
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Durrun wrote: »
    image_zps6gnr4sbh.png

@Darth_Jay77 "I think the squad needs 5's over Sarge too. Sarge does a little extra damage but you need 5's survivability."

See above sarges "little extra damage" XD
    Man sarge IS your damage Cody has a sweet assist hit but codys assist without sarge is only about 5000 more damage then sarge without Codys assist. XD I'd honestly leave Rex out before I left sarge out of a squad just personally. He's easily top tier damage and the clones need that extra hit. When 5s takes his first turn and calls an assist if he calls Sarge the attacked character dies, flat out. 5s crits for 12k on his assist followed by a 23k from sarge with Ani lead

@Durrun How do you have Sarge modded? I have mine at gear 10 but I don't have that last furnace for him yet. I have NEVER seen a crit that high from him. I think the best I've seen is 10k.

Edit: Wait wait wait... are you messing with me. LMFAO! That's in GW on a total low-level team. Show me his best crit on an equally geared squad. :smiley:
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    2 with 5.88% offence, 1 5.88% health...1 + 30 speed. 1 36% crit damage. All hp mods and ALL of em have secondary stats of 5-7 speed,3-4%potency,crit chance, or 44 offence.
    I hit 10-11k crits on his aoe. He's top tier damage with TM gain and team reduction. Sittin at 41% crit chance before the extra 13% from passive

Can't wait till I can swap him to good offence sets or crit damage and crit chance only running hp mods now. His stats

image_zpsi8y4z4dc.png

image_zpscyawyvnd.png
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    image_zpscdavrd66.png

On maxed out rank 10 Arena IG86 WITHOUT Anakin lead so that's just about 13.5-14k if ani had been leading
    image_zpsqytfo2ee.png
    Edit
    Did it maxed out arena rank 8 Royal gaurd WITH Ani lead
    I lost 14 ranks to prove that for ya @Darth_Jay77 XD
    2 with 5.88% offence, 1 5.88% health...1 + 30 speed. 1 36% crit damage. All hp mods and ALL of em have secondary stats of 5-7 speed,3-4%potency,crit chance, or 44 offence.
    I hit 10-11k crits on his aoe. He's top tier damage with TM gain and team reduction. Sittin at 41% crit chance before the extra 13% from passive

Can't wait till I can swap him to good offence sets or crit damage and crit chance only running hp mods now. His stats

image_zpsi8y4z4dc.png

image_zpscyawyvnd.png

Okay, I think your mods with Crit Damage are the biggest difference between your Sarge and mine. I still have a lot of Lottery Tickets (aka Mods) to scratch off to see what stats I get. I'll have to go back through and see what I have in there. Hopefully I have some HP or Speed Mods with Crit Damage on them. Lord knows I'll never have actual crit damage mods unless the Jawa requirement is removed. Ugh...