Deconstructing the Galactic War Power Curve: A Detailed Look

Replies

• Were you sharing for no other reason than informing the community?

Two reasons, really.
    1. To see if other players can confirm the power curve as I experienced it.
    2. To dispel the notion that GW is scaled based off of Arena power. I have conclusively shown that GW node scaling is, in fact, dependent on factors other than Arena power; specifically Top5 power.* See original discussion for reasons why.

*Note: It is possible that Arena power may also factor in somehow, but GW scaling can quite obviously be affected by Top5 outside of Arena.
  • Thanks for all the info. Good read
  • The latest stats mirror my own experience likewise. A node 6, 9 and 11 that are ferocious. My node 12 is a severely underpowered gimme team, but as with another poster, I would have had more than enough left in my roster to defeat it even at an inflated power level.

I figure that the broken node 12 occurs because at high enough power levels the matchup algorithm can't find any teams at that strength, and thus, pops out a randomly generated team of scrubs instead. So this works great for those sitting at the higher echelons of power, but it's rough for everyone before that sweet spot.
  • Just hit 27.2 k power worried for tomorrow. Have failed GW twice since the update.
  • Taniwha
    120 posts Member
    Great research, thanks a lot for doing it and sharing it with us, there has been a lot of confusion in our guild about GW and how opponents are chosen, this clears it all up. Really appreciate your efforts.
  • So7hoth
    48 posts Member
    Love your posts, man! Read it too late for today's gw run, but I'm in node 11 right now. My opponent has 40,024 power, my arena team is at 38,345 (though I believe I've run arena teams with around 38,700), and my top 5 toons have a combined 39,302. Relative to my arena team, my opponent is at 104.38%, and relative to my top 5, he is at 101.84%. I'd say this is extremely close to what you found. My last node will be -as it has been for the last couple weeks- a pure cupcake.

My top 5 will not gain power for a few days (they are all at or close to max), but I could run a more powerful arena team and see if my gw changes. If your theory is right, it shouldn't. I'll report back, if you're still interested.
  • Yudoka wrote: »
    If you have droids, use them. If not, get them. My full droid team makes GW nearly auto. Last night was easiest yet, finishing the run with everyone having some protection intact, with two still retaining 100%. Heck, I cleared node 11 without the opposing team getting a single shot off. Droids are pretty busted for PvE right now.

^ this
  • Drexnaw
    152 posts Member
    Yudoka wrote: »
    If you have droids, use them. If not, get them. My full droid team makes GW nearly auto. Last night was easiest yet, finishing the run with everyone having some protection intact, with two still retaining 100%. Heck, I cleared node 11 without the opposing team getting a single shot off. Droids are pretty busted for PvE right now.
    If droids are also your strongest powered toons that would explain why your galactic war is super easy. Droids are deceivingly underpowered as far as the power number goes. For example I would rather face a team at 38k power than a droid team at 32k power because the droid team is most likely stronger.
    On that not I need to get my hk and 88 caught up to my 86, plus I just 7*d my JE :) but gear is my current problem with the team. What mod setups do you use for everyone? Currently my 86 has critical chance mods on him but the others just have scraps that I need to rework.
  • Great post. Thanks for doing all that work.
  • So i guess all problems I am having with GW are due to not having enough toons near in power as my best 5, which in my case I'm improving because I use them in arena.
    Arena is the main source of crystals, GW the main source of credits. I guess I should choose which one I want to beat. I should stop improve my top 5 and spread the love.

• boellefisk
    331 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Zavandor wrote: »
    So i guess all problems I am having with GW are due to not having enough toons near in power as my best 5, which in my case I'm improving because I use them in arena.
    Arena is the main source of crystals, GW the main source of credits. I guess I should choose which one I want to beat. I should stop improve my top 5 and spread the love.

Financially if you have to choose, it is a much much much much better deal to just buy the 100 crystal per day and focus on doing GW every day and drop a bit in arena, than buying the credits and flunk the GW.
    It's an absolutely **** implementation of the GW difficulty curve.
  • Hey guys, I saw something today and thought I should point it out to you today. People often point to this Reddit thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/469vj1/sad_post_i_was_wrong_about_galactic_war_using/) as "proof" that GW is scaled based on highest winning Arena squad power. There is an interesting quote from Awesome Server Dude in there:
    Im-Not-Really-A-Jedi: "So why are we using Arena Rank when the pool of people will change over time?"
    Awesome Server Dude: "What are you talking about?"
    INRAJ: "Arena Rank, why do we save their highest rank and then pick opponents against it?"
    ASD: "We don't. We decided not to use that method a while ago."
    INRAJ: "Wait. What?"
    ASD: "Yeah, we don't do that anymore. We just use their highest Squad Power now."
    Highest Squad Power. Not Highest Winning Arena Squad Power. That's what ASD said. ASD could very easily have meant roster Top5. He didn't mention Arena at all.

Now, INRAJ came back later and edited his post with:
    EDIT: So here's EXACTLY how your opponents are figured, and where my confusion for Arena Rank came in: We use your LAST PVP SQUAD WIN so long as that power is greater than the last time you won. So we DO take it from Arena, just not RANK, just Squad Power.

But I think it's clear from this research that non-Arena squad power is at least one of the factors that drive GW scaling.
  • Node 12 is now a cake walk for me. After a point node 12 gets super easy.

What are the stats are your droids? I run Hk(L),86,88, JE and RG, all lvl 80 g8-9 7* and I cannot beat node 12 which for the last three days has been Old Ben(L), RG, StHan, Rey and Qgj, all g11 lvl 80 7* and full mod. I find it very difficult and barely dent node 12.

What are the stats are your droids? I run Hk(L),86,88, JE and RG, all lvl 80 g8-9 7* and I cannot beat node 12 which for the last three days has been Old Ben(L), RG, StHan, Rey and Qgj, all g11 lvl 80 7* and full mod. I find it very difficult and barely dent node 12.

This guy has a droid team that seems to roll GW with almost no effort. https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/59189/video-of-droids-beating-galactic-war-in-under-15-minutes-no-healer
  • wow, if all this is true, an easy fix would be to include the next 5-10 toons, instead of just the top 5.

Going by the rough average of the top 15 toons would put you at a more realistic power base for the average players' starter teams.

Thank you for putting this out there. I finally know why GW is a struggle for me. I beefed the crap out of 4 tanks. They are my 4 highest powered toons. STHan and RG for arena, Teebo and Chewie for raids.
    The later 2 aren't really good at GW, and you can only afford to use 1 tank at a time in GW, so my top GW 5 toons are significantly lower in power and have the odds stacked against them right out of the gate. There is not much I can do at this point (as tanks generally have higher power than attackers at equal level) but this takes the sting out a little bit.
  • EventineElessedil
    6171 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    It seems to fit well. I recently started having some success at GW again, so may re-engage this study. I calculated N11 two days ago and found the power level was 101.9% of my Top5, 104.6% of my Arena, both of which are a tick higher that what this curve would suggest.
    Here's a simplified plot that tells the message succinctly:8hrNiKm.png
    Regularjoe wrote: »
    I beefed the **** out of 4 tanks. They are my 4 highest powered toons. STHan and RG for arena, Teebo and Chewie for raids.
    Yeah, if you do this, GW is going to be a massive struggle.
  • I think that the "very easy" last node is not a random team but a wrap-around, by going to the +115% power it falls off the end of an array and climbs back at its beginning, picking up a rookie player.
  • This is all I'll say about GW...you have to have a mega thread pinned to the top of the forum for over a month because so many people are vocal about it, probably a Broken Window (see the Broken Window theory kids) that needs to be repaired.

Personally I don't have an issue at all with GW. But the fact it gets the attention it does from the player base suggests there's a glaring issue. If you make credits more readily available, this becomes a non-issue. But since this is the only real credit cow in the game, it gets routinely slaughtered on the forums.
  • Trouserdeagle
    267 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    GW is definitely WAI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3noUsjrUZo

Ever since I upgraded my top 5 over about 36 or so I've had this node 12. Upgrading arena team had no effect.

Cakewalk up to node 11 where I may have to sub in a toon or 2 depending on the opponent.

Edit: I'm a **** who can't embed youtube videos.
  • bLz
    27 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    I'm sitting around 38K arena power as well. I can clear it most of the time, but sometimes I just get completely demolished at either 6 or 9. That said, I did have like 4 node 12 freebies in a row. Love seeing those green / blue characters there. All in all; it's a bit random.
  • Xader
    32 posts Member
    Regularjoe wrote: »
    , Teebo and Chewie for raids.
    The later 2 aren't really good at GW,
    Teebo is my best leader for GW. Stealth will keep your toons safe, and TM removal on big threats renders them harmless.

• First post ever for me but I gotta say I call shenanigans on all the math being shown. My max 5 toons add up to just over 33.6k. for the last week I have faced teams on 11 and 12 with 40k+ each and every time. I am FTP and not whining cuz this is a time waster for me. My co-workers has essentially the same toons leveled to the same powers and he gets cupcakes on 11& 12. Our rosters are almost exactly the same, yet I get squashed every day. We laugh about it, but I just dont get why. Anybody have any guesses?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Floogyman wrote: »
    First post ever for me but I gotta say I call shenanigans on all the math being shown. My max 5 toons add up to just over 33.6k. for the last week I have faced teams on 11 and 12 with 40k+ each and every time. I am FTP and not whining cuz this is a time waster for me. My co-workers has essentially the same toons leveled to the same powers and he gets cupcakes on 11& 12. Our rosters are almost exactly the same, yet I get squashed every day. We laugh about it, but I just dont get why. Anybody have any guesses?

Not sure, but mods could have something to do with this. Could also be different shard.

But could be based on whole roster or Arena team. There are many theories out there about how this is calculated.
    Floogyman wrote: »
    First post ever for me but I gotta say I call shenanigans on all the math being shown. My max 5 toons add up to just over 33.6k. for the last week I have faced teams on 11 and 12 with 40k+ each and every time. I am FTP and not whining cuz this is a time waster for me. My co-workers has essentially the same toons leveled to the same powers and he gets cupcakes on 11& 12. Our rosters are almost exactly the same, yet I get squashed every day. We laugh about it, but I just dont get why. Anybody have any guesses?

Well ... are you sure you added up your five highest power? There may be more to it, but i think it's all based on power levels. Id love to see how your power curve compares to mine.
  • My top 5 are quigon 8072, luminara 7137, teebo 6831, 5555s 6774, and Chewbacca 6216 for a total of 35030. I have never run that squad anywhere together. Its just odd.
  • Floogyman wrote: »
    My top 5 are quigon 8072, luminara 7137, teebo 6831, 5555s 6774, and Chewbacca 6216 for a total of 35030. I have never run that squad anywhere together. Its just odd.

If you look at the opponent's power table of section C in the OP, you'll see that 40k teams are what I was facing in N12 as well and my power was 35808. Agrees pretty well, I think. It doesn't matter if you've never run them together, those are your top5 and I think that's what GW uses to scale your board.
  • I could have sworn they quoted the devs saying it was the highest winning arena team we have ever used. I am just poking away at lower characters now so they can run the first 5 nodes and save what quality i have for the later fights.
  • If you scroll up to my post from July 29, you can see exactly what they said. But we know from experience that arena is not the only driving factor.
  • leef wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say it, but if this model is correct the always loved "learn to play" "get better toons" etc. arguments seem to be somewhat true.

Why on earth would you be sorry to say something that's been proven to be true? Those of us who've been saying it haven't been basing our arguments on butterfly's and rainbows, we've been saying it because we play the same game as everyone else plays, and when we compare rosters, we see that those who have have the deeper roster usually have easier time competing GW.
    My top 4 teams are about equal in power and I complete GW every day. I know also know other players who have 2 teams WAY stronger than mine, but their other squads fall far, far short, and they tell me they can't complete it every day.
    I'm more than willing to expend an entire squad to kill a toon that's way above me (if it comes to that, and sometimes it does) because my next squad will kill another off another toon. Once you're two toons up on most any squad at your level, you can finish them off. And just in case that didn't work, I've got another squad at the same power as the 1st one and a whole lotta suicide squads just slightly below.