Recent change to Galactic War - open conversation

Replies

• EM650
    1120 posts Member
    Sexytime wrote: »
    I dont get why you the developers keep on defending a mistake you guys made when majority of your player base is already calling you out on the **** poor decision you've done with GW. Do you even play the game? Did you make the game for yourself or for the players? Jesus, learn to freaking listen will ya. The changes in GW sucks. Fix and get with the program or lose even more players.

For balance, I also wanted to quote this one from the other end of the spectrum. :)

But, to answer your question... yes, we play the game. A lot. I personally got to 58 during soft launch. Then had my account reset / wiped when we did our world wide launch in late Nov, and hit 60 in early Jan. I'm planning to get it reset again this week so I can play through once more. Each time, I'm taking a different approach to the game to feel how it plays for different types of players.

We made the game for ourselves as well as the players and the fans. Really, there is no distinction as we are players and fans ourselves. (SeewhatIdidthere?)

But, seriously, I'm sorry you and others aren't enjoying the change. Stick with us if you can. There's lots of cool stuff ahead! :)

I appreciate that you do this for us.

If I could, when you next play it, can you try to play the game from the perspective of someone who does not knowanything about the game? By that, I mean that it took me a few weeks before I knew what toons to try to get because of their strengths / utilities. I wasted a lot of my and resources on toons that are not even used and just sit on my bench now. As a result, my A and B teams took a lot longer to get up and running as well as a lack of resources to upgrade their abilities.
  • I've said it in one or two threads but I do like it it makes you try and use your entire squad. I have a whole host (as does everyone else I imagine) of minor characters sitting low levelled and unused.

However, I've also said that a problem lies in the teams being faced. I'm assuming the squads you face in GW are people's arena squads (correct me if wrong). If so, the problem lies in that many people's squads are pretty similar (I'm usually around 100-50 in my server's ), Sid/Lumi as leader, JC, and usually a choice between Dooku, Phasma, Kylo, Barriss and to a lesser extent Leia or Poggle.

It's all well and good trying to get us to use our whole repertoire of characters, I would love to see more game types that does that in the future, but when you're facing basically the same squad for 9-10 battles in a row in GW then it's a little bit one sided in that regards. Mix up the teams I face to properly allow us to try out tactics
  • The new GW is fine. It only got implemented way to quick, no warning or whatever. I built a team able to complete gw everytime, but it was relying heavily on the previous retreat function. It was composed of fast high dps heroes, hit and run. It worked perfectly and I didnt have to go the cookiecutter way (lumi, jc, etc) then the update came and my strategy became instantly worthless. I didn't get lumi from gw because i thought I didn't have to. Well I started farming her now, but cant complete gw anymore so it's going to take a little longer.
    The change isn't that bad, it just came to abruptly. We didnt get the chance to prepare.
  • EM650 wrote: »
    If I could, when you next play it, can you try to play the game from the perspective of someone who does not knowanything about the game? By that, I mean that it took me a few weeks before I knew what toons to try to get because of their strengths / utilities. I wasted a lot of my and resources on toons that are not even used and just sit on my bench now. As a result, my A and B teams took a lot longer to get up and running as well as a lack of resources to upgrade their abilities.

Please don't take this as me talking myself up, but playing as if I don't know the game is really hard to do. We certainly try to do that, especially when we're playtesting the opening moments of the game. However, once you get past the tutorial it gets increasingly difficult.

Imagine something you know well (driving, making a pizza, slick disco dancing, whatever). Model what you think it's like to learn that activity. At first, it's not bad. But when you try to determine where your stumbling blocks would be, along with your "Ah ha!" moments, it's nearly impossible.

This is why we did so much user testing on the game, and will likely continue to do so. People who have never seen the game are hugely valuable for us to observe as they play the game.

Hope that makes sense. :)
  • Would you say it would be worthwhile upgrading someone like Biggs who has ship synergies or wait a month or so?

I do think the feedback to the community is great BTW...even if opinions differ slightly. I think its because the scaling of enemies is so different for everyone which is the biggest problem with feedback. I mean people who are at lv 60/70...GW will provide a completely different experience and will bring problems that are completely different compared with a guy at 50/55.
  • I debated whether to just let this post go, but it's toxic enough that I felt I had to address at least some of it...
    Throwing my two cents in to this discussion, since the first thread on the topic hasn't seemed to have gotten any dev posts since the first few pages.

After I posted the announcement on Friday, I wasn't really able to get back in front of a computer until late on Saturday. I was reading posts, but not in a great position to respond in the manner I wanted to until today.
    We've now had 2 giant balance changes come out without any notice whatsoever. CG/EA have said that both releases should've been broadcasted before. The lack of transparency here is quite disconcerting. The Barriss nerf being hush hush before it came out the subsequent backlash that ensued brought a statement saying that we're not going to be getting any more surprises.

I don't remember saying that we would run all planned changes by the community. That's honestly not viable. Where did you read that?
    Then, we got this. The lack of professionalism shown by CG/EA to (without notice) spring something this big on us, intended or not, is inexcusable. That the patch notes were released a mere ~20 minutes before the patch went live, and they were released with the apparent blessing of the two companies while omitting the GW change in the notes, is quite disturbing. Similarly, having been told that we were going to be absolutely 0 balance changes outside the ones inherent to raising the level cap is quite insulting. I find it especially egregious that Leia's multiattack chance was addressed, while "Against All Odds" is left to continue to proc at 100%.

Lots here. :)

Again, I believe your expectations as to what gets published to the community before going live isn't in alignment with mine. But extending that to a "lack of professionalism" is a major stretch, IMO.

If the "two companies" you're referencing is Capital Games and Electronic Arts, I'd like to clarify something. EA is thousands of people; CG is tens of people. Only about four of us (all at CG) were involved in the release notes. We made an oversight in not including the server-based update which is where the GW change happened. We've discussed and apologized for that. Just wanted to boil it down for you so you don't think thousands of people somehow had a hand in these release notes. :)

Where did anyone say there would be "0 balance changes outside the ones inherent to raising the level cap"? I don't recall anyone saying that.

Further, some bugs can be addressed without a client update (which takes more time) and some can be done in data or via the server. We're doing what we can.
    So by my count, that's two lies that have come out of CG/EA.

What are you referencing?
    Counting Aaron's (forgivable, imo) misunderstanding of the psuedo-random number generation in battles, and subsequent (false) reassurances that the number generation is 100% random, that's three.

@CG_AaronNemoyten misunderstood, was trying to help quickly, and updated his post as soon as he got updated info. If he knew otherwise and posted bad info, that would be a lie. That's not what happened.

Here and elsewhere I've pointedly contested anyone who's calling us liars. There's a reason for that: we aren't liars. If we were, we should just shut down these forums and all walk away. (What's the point of a forum filled with lies?)

We're working hard to be transparent and working hard to make this game better and better every day. Communication is difficult, especially given how few of us there are and how many of you there are.

The balance of your post I won't cover since I believe we have discussed the situation in other posts already.

Please give us the benefit of the doubt. Don't jump to conspiracy-based conclusions about our actions. We aren't that kind of people. :)

Thanks!
  • TheDocotr wrote: »
    I'm going to try one more time to say something worthwhile. I already quit the game.

Angry, inaccurate, insulting stuff here...

No more EA games for me....

I'm not going to dismantle this post and rebut each line. Suffice to say I disagree with nearly every word.

I'm always sorry to see a player leave. Perhaps you'll find your way back some day in the future and see something you like here.

Otherwise, best of luck to you.
  • Terendol wrote: »
    You tuned the AI too. You need to admit that. It behaves far more aggressively since the patch. Also, the AI gets probably 2x the damage and health of a human controlled team at same level.

We didn't change the AI with this update, apart from fixing an edge case with Taunt. (Why taunt when you're the last character on a side?)

As stated repeatedly, units under AI control get no benefit as compared to the same units under player control.

The rest of your post is pretty angry stuff, and not accurate.

Thanks.
  • @Preemo_Magin - Thank you for this detailed, reasonable, and well thought-out post! :)

I'm quoting the whole thing in case anyone missed it.

I think there are a lot of great ideas and suggestions in here, which I'll discuss with the team next week.

Thanks again for your contributions to the conversation here. :smiley:
    I think that old and new retreat both have pros and cons. Old added a new meta-battle mechanic, including rotating, high speed swarm teams, anti buff and status tactics, mixed fodder tactics (eg. Bring Sid and 4 level 1 char to heal Sid), etc. My take away is that many people would love meta-battle options. Some others, more than meta, are still not developed enough to pass Specific high power enemies. If you fix the debuff and status loses and keep time meter, they still won't pass, and will still complain. But heavy fans missing the meta-battle options are very real and several high spenders miss it. Some others find that the outcomenof a COMPLETE battle can't be influenced sufficiently with the current option of just selecting a team and how to fight. Thus, for them now is Reset until luck or RNG helps them.

On the other hand many high spenders (meaning people that love the game, know a lot and play very regularly and use a very wide variety of toons) also said they love the ability to test team build outs. They are out seeking to create the ultimate team setup. That testing squad scenarios was something they appreciated and reset was the place to do it. Some others (I include myself here) think the meta-battle and micro management, the clearing of debuffs, statuses and gimmicks of old retreat made GW easier...diminishing value of taunters, debuffers, cleaners, etc. and wasn't a fair fight to the enemy which can't retreat, can't use they abilities, and has to fight 5 vs my 20+ char rooster in one battle.

My summary is that CG is trying to please two different groups of people (each having f2p and p2p) that are very passionate about different things:

1) Meta-battle richness at per turn level and meta-battle options that make the game interesting and more amusing. Deeper. While the current retreat was flawed, they miss the meta battle. I feel if meters, status, etc. are kept, the "fixed" meta battle will even more boring. But I liked the concept of coming up with creative ideas or reading micro-tactics like the Sid heal-by-sending-level1-chars - even if I found those not to mybtaste was interesting tou could do it if needed.

2) The meta is the long term effort of how to select, design, build, scale and put teams into production versus specific enemies, and exactly how manage a battle once you are in and fairly dealing with taunters, debuff ir whatever is oresent. Practice and patience is enough. Team desing and execution. And try innovative ideas about teams, things never seen, in the quest to build amazing teams.

In the posts there is also a good chunck of frustation related to difficulty (some find current or old too easy or hard). but this is not a fundamental difference: they just either want to lass GW and can't, or can pass so easily (the other extreme) that get bored. Both methods have a mix of these two.

But can't CG please both, and make the game more amazing? What if the meta-battle is just a call for more strategic options within battles? What if it hooks a very loyal happy group of advicates and spenders? What if those that want to test things and love resets could still do it?

I think both can be monetized. And that if CG saw value, could evolve the game to cater to both. While this takes time, a quick fix can be as follows:

Short term, relabel Retreat to Reset. Fix the old retreat for the most gross cheats (keep debuffs, status, buffs and turn meters) and add it as a second Menu Option. Limit Retreats to 5 per battle.

At some point later create an Arena playground, and at that moment limit Resets to the same 5 per battle. At that point, GW will allow you to Reset or Retreat a certain number of times...and if tou can't pass, you really need to become better at GW.

Hope for the best. I liked Resets more, but I have been on the other side, and when something you love is gone and you can't do anything, it feels like a huge loss as you are powerless and the game makes you too involved.
  • Limiting resets to 5/stage as well. I don't think it is healthy for people to try 100 times per stage just to get the RNG.
  • Why doesn't everyone quit complaining, and just play the game fairly. Obviously the majority of you are cheating it anyways instead of playing it fairly. I didn't even know there was a retreat option until yesterday. Even if i did use it...it was only matter of time till the developers noticed what was going on and fixed it. You act like it was never gunna happen...get over it, quit complaining, and just play fair. Sad part is, most of you all are prolly ones who complain bout people cheating, well if you're of the ones using the retreat option, you're no more of a cheater than the rest.
  • @CG_JohnSalera

I haven't read through all 11 pages but two things really bother me about GW. Note that as a retreat but not force close user I have less problem finishing it now than before but I enjoy it less as well.

First I don't understand why arena rank is used in GW matchmaking. They require different characters. For instance Poe is one of the best in arena but one of the worst in GW (rarely makes it through one round in either but that's cool in arena).

Second I have plenty of characters and a pretty decent bench but I find it less useful now. While before I could through in unique characters like Datcha for a turn or two against a droid heavy team now I can't. Datcha isn't geared enough to be useable for an entire round without seriously hurting my other characters chances of getting through he 8-9 teams of lvl 60-62 gear 7/8 teams. Since you released this as you released the level cap I'm forced to choose which part of your game I like more. Please stop using arena ranking for your matchmaking and use something more sensible like the combined power of your top10 toons.

The sheer number of FOTP and Phasma/Poe/Leia teams is silly. The idea that there is a counter for them for more than 2 battles in a row is just unrealistic unless someone's has a 15 max level/geared toons.

But it doesn't matter because with retreat I can just do the battle multiple times. Ironically if I make a good strategic decision, say attempting a stun on Poe with dooku first move, if it fails I restart and just stun a less important toon. I make 'bad' moves aware that they may be more blessed by RNG.

That's not a good gaming experience. It's not hard. Its just not fun.

• SlyGambit wrote: »
    @CG_JohnSalera

I haven't read through all 11 pages but two things really bother me about GW. Note that as a retreat but not force close user I have less problem finishing it now than before but I enjoy it less as well.

First I don't understand why arena rank is used in GW matchmaking. They require different characters. For instance Poe is one of the best in arena but one of the worst in GW (rarely makes it through one round in either but that's cool in arena).

Second I have plenty of characters and a pretty decent bench but I find it less useful now. While before I could through in unique characters like Datcha for a turn or two against a droid heavy team now I can't. Datcha isn't geared enough to be useable for an entire round without seriously hurting my other characters chances of getting through he 8-9 teams of lvl 60-62 gear 7/8 teams. Since you released this as you released the level cap I'm forced to choose which part of your game I like more. Please stop using arena ranking for your matchmaking and use something more sensible like the combined power of your top10 toons.

The sheer number of FOTP and Phasma/Poe/Leia teams is silly. The idea that there is a counter for them for more than 2 battles in a row is just unrealistic unless someone's has a 15 max level/geared toons.

But it doesn't matter because with retreat I can just do the battle multiple times. Ironically if I make a good strategic decision, say attempting a stun on Poe with dooku first move, if it fails I restart and just stun a less important toon. I make 'bad' moves aware that they may be more blessed by RNG.

That's not a good gaming experience. It's not hard. Its just not fun.

Is the gw matchmaking based on your arena ranking? Did the devs ever officially stated this?
  • Those that are saying the new approach is more tedious appear to be relying heavily on resetting the random number seed. As I mentioned in the original announcement, this is an area we are discussing changing. If you want to see the impact of that, try playing without focusing on re-setting the seed as your means of getting through tough battles. What would you do then?
    I have the luxury of a deep enough bench in that I throw other heroes directly into the fire in the idea they might kill or waste some of the opposing teams’ cooldowns. However, this does not mean I spend time to learn those heroes effectively, synergize or even want to learn how to use them, I’m simply throwing them to the wolves in an overall strategy of basic attrition. It’s extremely tedious.
    When against a particularly much stronger team, I may run out of fodder and have basically felt like I wasted my game-time where I could be having a lot more fun playing something else because as much as I’d like to say I can field a good team, there are those that have paid far more than myself to have teams that are quite unreasonable to face until either balance changes have been made or I spend a considerable amount more to even complete this game mode in order to field the exact mix needed to correctly counter that specific group.
    In contrast, before the change I would rotate various characters in at opportune times for specific needs and optimal results. It was ever changing/evolving as each round progressed and let me play to each Heroes strengths as desired or needed and it was rather enjoyable.
    For players without a deep bench or without a more in-depth understanding of the game, the previous iteration was a much better learning curve with rewards for their playtime, especially for the F2P.
    That it functioned in a way that was unintended but was largely appreciated without hundreds of angry posters, would intimate that it struck a fair enough balance as a starting point for learning more of the game and being able to work toward the deeper bench and level heroes respectively at a pace that many felt satisfactory and worth the time investment. A few posts regarding whether that functionality was intended would seem to be far preferable to the response currently being received but nothing ventured nothing gained.
    Yet instead of working with the various pros this afforded in its current state and iterating beyond that as a happy coincidence that could be altered and improved upon the choice as additional gameplay options was instead to go back to the original vision which created the conflict we see today.
    That some find this change to make GW easier for them, I must admit I’m not getting as this change would appear to be based on the removal of options and playstyle as opposed to making it any easier in any direct way. What is available now is no different than what was possible before by force-closing the application. It’s just that it seems more officially sanctioned than before but of all the tactics, I disliked that option the most and tried to avoid its use in most cases if the RNG went particularly poorly for me in a match.
    Some have stated that the old, unintended system was a lot of fun for them. This is good feedback, and what I’d like to do is find a way to capture that experience in a holistic way in the future feature -- either as a different mode or difficulty setting for GW, or as the basis for a new activity.
    To have this retreat functionality in a different gameplay mode based on a war of attrition would seem too redundant to me, it would be my preference, whatever it would be worth, to make the previous functionality the baseline approach for GW, with increasing difficulties as modes with different rewards from there. This way nothing is apparently lost and it gives a way for the team to get back to the original vision as an iterative option from there.
    We have a wealth of new heroes that will be added as well as a variety that many would love to not be chromium only, it would seem a terrific carrot on a stick to provide ways to earn those heroes through higher difficulties of gameplay, rather than constrain the existing base that was still working on fielding a team in the first place.
    Thank you for your time in this thread, it's this kind of involvement that really does change the tone overall, even if we may not agree.
  • @CG_JohnSalera I would just like to get something straight.

So you are saying that the retreat function which you guys programmed into the game was never intended to work that way, and in fact you guys envisioned players force closing the game to reset the match. Thus force close was the most legitimate thing players were doing. And retreat was a mistake that was not supposed to be coded in.

OR

You guys programed the retreat function never thinking about players dancing in and out of combat and removing buffs, negating several characters abilities. Force close was completely unintended and illegitimate, but it was closer to your vision than players had made retreat into.

OR

You never intended for players to retreat or force close and it was all just a mistake that you fixed by adding the force close functionality to retreat because it seemed like a great idea.

Which of these scenarios is closer to the truth?
  • @CG_JohnSalera I really appreciate your community management style and how you have spent time addressing so many concerns individually. And, although I may disagree with several things, I certainly respect the way you are participating in the community.

I stated earlier that I didn't really care either way about the GW change and that it was more about the matchmaking being too aggressive at times (especially for <$500 invested folks).

I may roll that back a bit having given it more thought. I operate a small top tier bench (about 8 toons) based on my <$300 investment (that's the limit my _insanely significant when compared to other gaming entertainment_ investment has placed on me) and a couple dozen junk toons that, frankly, I don't care what synergy you are looking for they will always be junk because they are ability limited non-A listers (why use a B lister when all slots are open to A listers? Another discussion...).

Given that, I did not realize how much more my 'bench' was being utilized in the old GW until I really paid attention on my last play through on how I was doing thing differently before. Now, I don't really swap out toons anymore. I just shuffle toons at most. If I wanted the current limitations, I would have just used force close, to be honest. It was an unneeded change that simply making buffs persistent would have resolved (though retreating had the insanely negative affect of dealing with turn timer starts again). So, there's that.

Having read many of the @CG_JohnSalera posts, I've come to find you may not be completely in touch with just how frustrating timegates and progression limitations can be in this game. Given your statements about hitting 60, and the timeframes you did it in, I can say for 100% certain you did not do it without crystal infusions or exceptional access to top level awards in Arena, etc. Want to know how your playerbase feels? I challenge you to play the game without ever boosting crystals (as a f2p would) and successfully farm up Rey, Dooku, FotP, Leia and Maul. Time it. Those last two will be real doozies as you will have to somehow save up enough crystal rewards to buy cards to get them.

Which leads to... Chromium only toons are ridiculous. Everything should be farmable even if only in higher level content. You guys hid the most recognizable and desireable SW characters behind a massive paywall. On top of that, you gave those toons the most significant feature sets. Anyone who does not have them is at a severe disadvantage. A disadvantage that can not be resolved with 'patience' as you kept referring to in your post. Patience does not get you that which is completely unattainable at any point without massive investment (I would argue an extremely unfair level of investment at that). The pay factor needs to focus more on speed and cosmetics, not on critical lock outs of fan favorites and top spec toons.

The most heartbreaking thing in this game so far for me, to be honest, is the fact that I DID get lucky and get 4* Maul only to find out a few levels later that unless I spend thousands I simply will not be able to use. Vader is another example... My reward for committing so much time and 'patience' to this otherwise wonderful game as signified by a tremendous amount of achievements over a month of hardcore playing is handed to me at a point where he's not even playable (4*) for GW or anything. And, there's no way for me to make him better. He's a strawman... Vader is a freakin' strawman @CG_JohnSalera !! REALLY?

So, why did I go so into all of this character detail in a GW thread? Because you keep talking about 'bench' and 'patience' when, in fact, they are not valid options for most people. I know it's hard to get but very few people who are playing now will still be playing in the six months it would take to even begin to build this 'bench' vision you have and, frankly, could not do it using fun, popular or top tier SW characters without >$2k investment. That is not a fair assessment and I feel it is a large part of much of why many in your playerbase have been put off by this change and subsequent mindset. It feels dirty (whether you meant it that way or not).

It feels like a money grab. It looks like a money grab.

Star Wars is a very strong franchise (especially now) and it is very easy to abuse that.

Please don't. Be fair and reasonable and open the door to more people. Make the same money from more people who will fill your rosters longer, be happier, enjoy the game more, be more positive on your forum and support you because your game is insanely fun and fair instead of trying milk out everything from a small roster that may not last once the current energy around the new movie fades a bit until the next one or who are influenced to support you simply because they have so much $$ invested and don't want to see it wasted. I know as a developer, or an artist, which type reason I would want players to be sticking around for.

TL;DR: The 'bench' concept is unreasonable. It would take many many months to build a bench to play GW as @CG_JohnSalera has stated. Arguing 'patience' is a strawman because many of the characters players desire and have the feature sets necessary to build the kinds of teams to beat top teams would require thousands in investment (or, completely stupidly good luck) to get... And, even more to properly star (if even possible... I'm looking at you Vader).
  • Hello everybody, hello @CG_JohnSalera

I love the game and like the idea of ​​the new GW. Especially in point 3.
    "Provide a" war of attrition "where health is persisted as you progressed in battles, not as you danced in and out of a battle as Given what Previously happening."

However, there is a big mistake. Currently, I have about 30 toons from level 1 to 61. But I'm playing GW only with my Main Party of 5 toons. If I can not defeat an opponent with my main party, I Beat the enemy not with my second party.

I propose 2 points to improve it:
    1. Only if I lose against an opponent, he should not be reset.
    2. remove the retreat button, because it's pointless.

So I can fight with all my toons the whole GW. If an opponent is too strong, I will send an average party into GW at the opponent. Hoping enough to weaken the opponent to defeat him with my main party.

But it is very important that you make a fight to an end when a fight started. Retreat is ok to total-Fight-reset, but not to dance.

I hope that this idea to the CG gets through.

thank you

Alfanje
  • On another note... Here's an interesting thing I noticed:

Squad Arena Meta: Max DPS and squash fast to snipe.
    Galactic War Meta: Max Tank and Healing (x3) as time is no issue and win through attrition.

Opposite sides of the spectrum.

Prior to this change, GW at least had the option to be played as a balance also (swap in and out for battle needs).

Curious...
  • I haven't posted here before, but have been lurking since starting the game in early December. I've been very pleased with the game's rewards systems and the low cost Dooku and crystal subs. It has felt like developers wanted to let the game get played...and to reward effort and time.

I've spent a little money, and felt that I got more from this game than from similar games. That's kept me playing, and incidentally waiting for more low priced subs and packages to return.

The SWTFA package distressed me as I felt it was being overpriced and that I'd been mistaken about the intent to attract small, medium and large payers alike. The timeout on packages redoubles that feeling.

Right when I felt the game was becoming a bit flat, I discovered that I was able to earn some shards from GW. Shortly after I read a guide here on using retreat "strategically" and my fight straight through mentality changed and I was learning more about the roles of my toons and their synergies. It felt great to learn a little finesse, even if it took a bit away from the feeling of accomplishment. I thought "hey, those devs are clever putting this game mode in, in this way.

I began to do well in GW, and have won 12 times as of the last updat. I was able to get a character to 7* and it was majorly rewarding...not easy...not quick, but I felt like the game was giving me a shot at least at feeling like I was competing with or at least could take some pitches with the "big spenders" and players who could spend many more hours on a mobile game than I, a mostly casual and small spending player.

That was great! I'm not aiming to top the Arena charts, join a guild of the rich and famous (in game), nor to spend much more than a little TV time differently. I don't expect to be there and don't feel entitled in any way. I understand there are those (and maybe a lot of them) who are much more invested financially and effort wise, and don't expect to reach the same milestones.

I do, however, expect to feel that effort is rewarded with achievable progress...especially in a game. I'm here for fun, to enjoy the Star Wars franchise, and to possible pay a little money. I don't want a participation trophy though, nor do I want to spend hundreds of hours finding the perfect sequence of actions that let my toons live like some diabolical Konami code from a Tom Cruise movie.

For me, GW demanded as much thought and time as I can conceivably give it. My progress in game isn't super fast, though I am nearly at level 62 today, have one 7*, and a few purpled toons.

Then this change came and my bench just isn't deep enough and I' won't have the time nor the inclination to spend enough to get back to earning rewards in GW quickly.

So I'm ½ in GW after the update and neither play through felt very fun, nor did it feel like I was learning anything, nor did it inspire me to spend money, nor did it inspire me to purposeful grind out toons for a deeper bench…it just felt that my good perception of the game dwindled greatly. That here finally was the pay wall that will delineate the P2W crowd.

I'll end this with a question, why does retreat have to mean reset? Why can't there simply be a "tag out" button which allows you to switch one character per turn which tracks status and maybe allows a little recharge? That seems strategical to me. I imagine reinforcements could come in fresher, and those sent to the rear with the gear would get a brief and small recharge and respite, but only a unit at a time...not the whole army.

I enjoy the game, and look forward to the coming expansions.

If you've read this far, I appreciate your time and wish you good fortune.
  • @Alfanje

1-This request is already implemented. If you send your b-team to weaken enemy, the enemy will remain weakened (will NOT) reset.

2-The reset is not pointless. It let's you try a different plan, or squad strategy. It's a benefit for you that you can chose to not use.
  • @Preemo_Magin , thx for the info. It was my fail. Didnt noticed point 1.
  • AdamW
    692 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    @CG_JohnSalera, lets play a fun game.

You guess my phone number. If you get it right then you win and you can advance to guessing the next persons number. Ill give you 1 hint and explain how to play.

Hint: The sequence of digits are as follows ***-***-**** My phone number is a combination in this format.

How to play: Its simple, you pick up your phone and start by dialing a number ie
    000-000-0001, ask for Adam. If its not me hang up, add +1 and dial again, ie 000-000-0002. You win when you call me and I pick up! Enjoy!

Thats basically the extent of your GW strategy atm. Again, love the game and will play but it seems a little more repetitive.
  • It seem every complains are from those enjoyed abusing the old GW.

I have an idea that will benefit both side. Pay $25 for a pack that unlock old GW and it has 30 uses. Each reset deduct 1 use.

Now you can enjoy debuff free with your main team. Since this game involve buying your way to the top of no where, it never hurt to sell debuff pack.
  • Jabba
    1033 posts Member
    Hello everyone I posted a couple times prior to this but just want to reaffirm this Galactic war is now easier I play 2 accounts 1 I have little over 200 dollars in another completely free to play. On account that I invested in I run 4* Dooku lead for evade 7* lumi 5* jc 6* geo 6* ig 86 with this now on my 3rd gw since patch only retreated 4 times its makes me wander why before patch it seemed so difficult and before patch I used my pvp squad insert 6* hk 47 for dooku post patch not as fun as before when I would use majority of bench trying different toons out. My ftp account I'm not as deep there actually never completed a gw until patch now completed 3 straight I use 4* Sid 5* geo 4* ig 86 4* jc 2* ewok elder levels 54 retreated 6 times today no squads sent in to soften or soak up any aoe. It is very clear to me is now easier or before patch I was just complete **** which in all honesty could be the case lol. I think people should relax this is a game if your going get this bent out of shape over a patch that has clearly with out a doubt 100 percent made game easier and faster to complete missions maybe need step away play something else. Please before the haters hate on me for this post try a squad of 2 healers and leader with either heavy critical boost or high evade for whole squad fill rest with your 2 most potent hitters I'm betting your restart count be under 10. By the way on my money account I see full purple gear squads by 5th battle . Hope I been helpful
  • The new reset is an easier mode unless you actually used both force close (now new reset) and the old retreat before. I never used force close prior to the patch, so to me it is easier now. The new option is less fun though. Regarding which one is cheating, it depends on what the devs say and want, you can say that GW opponents are cheating by having 12 teams vs 1-5 teams that you have.
  • AdamW wrote: »
    @CG_JohnSalera, lets play a fun game.

You guess my phone number. If you get it right then you win and you can advance to guessing the next persons number. Ill give you 1 hint and explain how to play.

Hint: The sequence of digits are as follows ***-***-**** My phone number is a combination in this format.

How to play: Its simple, you pick up your phone and start by dialing a number ie
    000-000-0001, ask for Adam. If its not me hang up, add +1 and dial again, ie 000-000-0002. You win when you call me and I pick up! Enjoy!

Thats basically the extent of your GW strategy atm. Again, love the game and will play but it seems a little more repetitive.

So they already said that is not the intention and they hope to stop that being a viable tactic...so keep abusing it for some small rewards now I guess, because it sounds like a lot of people fight 100s of battles so they are sure going to struggle when cg thinks up an appropriate fix.

Well done all you guys who use "the only tactic now is to reset over and over till the rng gods smile on you" line, you only speed up the removal of such a tactic being possible whilst leaving yourself completely unprepared for what will happen when you actually have to try and think your way through GW ahaha. Complaints like these are unlikely to bring back the old super broken system as it seems like people assume. Only get abusable features noticed and focused on
  • I at first thought it was a horrible change but since the change, I have completed the GW each day and find it seems like it is a touch easier now than before when not using the force close exploit.

If a gun is held to my head to pick either yea or nay, I'd say yea, even though I am in the middle.

• Or you can make GW normal/hard and remove all retreat options together. In case of disconnections, give players about 12+additional 5 tries for each GW (restarting the game counts as 1 try, so that even if a player use FC they can only use it 5 times).

The real problem now is bugs, how shards are obtained and balance. Chromium packs/premium toon shards should be given as rewards by completing some events say, so people don't complain about non obtainable chars. The main reason I stop buying the packs (for more than a month) is I know it is very likely that most of the chrom chars are gonna get nerfed because people cry for nerf (and they will if there is no way they can get these chars). Also new toons are just gonna power creep the existing ones. You spend a few thousands to get several chars to 7* so what, they are gonna be junk.

Old Ben used to be very good, now is kinda meh. Leia scares people off with her x2, which does not actually do anything most of the time and so on but yeah with enough complaints she is gonna be trash soon and how much do you need to pay to 7* star her?

There should be good chars and remain good for a very long time. They should be very hard to get but lucky F2P players should be able to get them and after they unlock the char, they should be able to star the char up easily. Otherwise there will be endless hate to chromium chars/P2P(W) players,these chars are not neccesarily stronger than free to get chars. In fact, most of the chars people use (to get top 10 arena) are free/easily obtainable chars.

• I posted a thread on this under "General Discussion" but please can you add a "skip turn/defend" option with a 5 cooldown timer? When I'm 5 on 1 v a counter attacker I don't want him hitting my weaker characters and depleting their health for the upcoming rounds.
  • I'm really having a hard time understanding why people are crying so much. I didn't even know about the retreat feature until this update. :) I'm lvl 56, and just yesterday beat GW for the first time. Previously, as long as I got my 400 green gems per day I didn't really care, it was just a challenge to keep as a goal. Why do people feel that they are entitled to beat GW every single time? I have only spent a little bit of money on the game and really only have one strong team. I think people need to stop getting angry when they don't win, and think of ways to improve/change their team so they can. For example, I had a mostly healing team I was using in PVP and was losing, a lot. I made a change to my team, started focusing on building up my replacement, and now I'm winning.

I repeat, you are not entitled to win everything all the time.
This discussion has been closed.