Character Strategy- Geonosian Spy

Prev1
Kozispoon
3245 posts EA Staff (retired)
edited January 2017
Geonosian Spy

xucif6uep19d.png

Stealthy Geonosian attacker that can dispel status effects to deal massive damage.

Unlocks at 2 Stars (25 Shards)

Available from Aurodium Data Packs

Abilities

BASIC Attack – Fein:
  • Deal Physical damage to target enemy with a 20% chance to gain Critical Chance Up for 2 turns. This chance is doubled if this attack does not score a Critical Hit. [Ability Upgrades Increase Damage, Critical Chance Up Chance, and Critical Chance Up Duration]

SPECIAL Attacks- Silent Strike
  • Deal Physical damage to target enemy. If they have a positive status effect, Dispel all status effects on Geonosian Spy and the target and deal 20% more damage for each effect Dispelled. Otherwise, inflict Evasion Down for 2 turns. This attack can't be Evaded [Ability Upgrades increase Damage, Damage per dispel and Reduce Cooldown.]

5w38fc7b2kzw.gif

• Unique Ability Illicit Insect - Geonosian Spy gains Stealth for 2 turns at the start of each encounter and whenever he scores a Critical Hit. Whenever a Geosonian ally inflicts a negative status effect, Geonosian Spy gains 40% Turn Meter. [Ability Upgrades increase turn meter gain and Stealth Duration]

General Strategy
  • The Geonosian Spy is our newest Geonosian, bringing the total number of Geonosians to 4.
  • This unit will synergize very strongly with other Geonosians. The trick to maximizing the damage output of Geonosian Spy will center on managing both buffs and debuffs on him and his targets.
  • This will require setup and introduces some very interesting synergies with other units and strong counters against certain enemy teams which operate with a high number of buffs available.
  • In order to gain the damage increase you must use the special while stealthed

Hero Synergies
  • Geonosian synergies will be strong. Both Poggle and Sun Fac can apply a detrimental effect on an enemy. Each time this happens, Geonosian Spy will gain 70% Turn Meter (Upgrade 7 – Unique)
  • Allies that apply buffs to their allies such as Yoda who can apply multiple buffs will extend the power of Geonosian Spy’s special attack.
  • Allies that apply multiple detrimental effects to enemies will also empower the Spy’s special ability. DoT teams will do well as they can easily have multiple DoT effects up on multiple targets.

Thank you for your patience 8D Forum Guidelines
Post edited by Kozispoon on

Replies

• Kozispoon
    3245 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Realized everyone's favorite Geonosian wasn't featured here yet. REMEDIED
    Thank you for your patience 8D Forum Guidelines
  • This isn't OP. Anakin being ine shot with nearly full protection and hp.
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    I wouldn't trust the damage seen in some of these gifs. Many of the other threads (e.g. Cody) seem to have inflated numbers and seemly originate from pre-nerfed mod days.

I can see 7 buffs/debuffs altogether on anakin/spy. In my experience with max mods, the actual damage done would be close to 35k.

Also:

In order to gain the damage increase you must use the special while stealthed

This statement is not true. It has been changed recently to only requiring a positive buff on the opponent.
  • TerraArran
    341 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Josh_K wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust the damage seen in some of these gifs. Many of the other threads (e.g. Cody) seem to have inflated numbers and seemly originate from pre-nerfed mod days.

I can see 7 buffs/debuffs altogether on anakin/spy. In my experience with max mods, the actual damage done would be close to 35k.

Also:

This statement is not true. It has been changed recently to only requiring a positive buff on the opponent.

35K would still be enough to take out almost every toon in this game...and when have you seen GeoSpy never not stealthed when using his Special? When you face Echo and B2 maybe, but there aren't many who have him. Asajj works too, but she would probably die before she even gets to move she only has a total of 25K HP and a speed of 98.
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    Rey can do this damage at 240 speed. You are looking too much at the individual and not at the team on a whole. Take out his support structure and he starts moving much slower (Stun, kill GS/SF). Crit avoidance, dodge both work very well to prevent him from taking turns. Persistent AOE e.g. droid JE teams also kill him very fast.

35K can take out most unmodded toons, but at end game where these damage numbers prevail, hardly so. My Cody (squishiest of the squishies) sits at 36k ehp.
  • TerraArran
    341 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Rey can do this damage at 240 speed. You are looking too much at the individual and not at the team on a whole. Take out his support structure and he starts moving much slower (Stun, kill GS/SF). Crit avoidance, dodge both work very well to prevent him from taking turns. Persistent AOE e.g. droid JE teams also kill him very fast.

35K can take out most unmodded toons, but at end game where these damage numbers prevail, hardly so. My Cody (squishiest of the squishies) sits at 36k ehp.

Sure Rey can dish out that much damage with that speed, but she is targetable and can easily be destroyed without having to worry about being countered with an AOE attack that might just miss GeoSpy.

And how will I take out GeoSoldier before he moves? When modded his speed is almost as fast as Rey's and would sit at 200s if you stack speed primaries and secondaries. He also isn't the squishiest of glass cannons with 26K+ HP and Protection unmodded.

I could go try out crit avoidance mods, but that will leave me in a speed disadvantage and your guys will be taking twice as many turns. I don't know about you, but I would rather have my arrow mods with a whopping 30 speed than use crit avoidance mods which I am not even sure works. Also dodge is in no way a viable option when rng can either go your way or your enemies.
  • DrD
    91 posts Member
    I've done as much as 61k with crit damage mods equipped. Very effective when paired with Sun Fac if you have both.
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    You dont need to kill GS, stuns are just as viable. This team has no stun mitigation. I get knocked down from first daily by meta teams. I really dont see what all your fuss is about. Just like any top rank holding team in the game at the moment there are ways to beat this team, especially with the 88 fix coming up.
  • Josh_K wrote: »
    You dont need to kill GS, stuns are just as viable. This team has no stun mitigation. I get knocked down from first daily by meta teams. I really dont see what all your fuss is about. Just like any top rank holding team in the game at the moment there are ways to beat this team, especially with the 88 fix coming up.

I am saying the damage he dishes out, the turn meter gain, and his survivabilty is way too insane. He'll probably get 3 turns before some toons move and will always be the first to take someone out.

Stunning GS is probably isn't a viable answer either because he will still get one turn out before everyone else when stacked with speed mods and Daka and Dooku aren't really the kind that can take too much damage.

And I really doubt the fix would do anything when tenacity and potency are in totally different levels, potency being much more powerful than tenacity.

• Tav1n_Yo
    193 posts Member
    edited August 2016

Also:

Those numbers are not inflated. This is more than feasible post mod and actually a little lower than what I've seen and tested. He's crazy strong and with 88 at lead and Han (if you have him) to stun the teams damage dealers, the match is over almost in 2 turns. He can one shot almost every toon. Since it takes a bit of setup, your target toon has to take damage, thus the RG's with 60K+ health is reduced to about 50K by the time spy hits. He gets insane amounts of turns almost as good as b2 and just wrecks. Awesome toon if played correctly.
  • Is he broken now? He was the first character I bought and I almost have him arena ready!
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    How much real money does it take to 7 him?
  • Sino
    30 posts Member
    around 150€

but as he is right now, save it and invest in other stuff if you really want to invest anymore
  • Did some one find a good squad for Spy?)
  • Wait for separatist setup!!!
  • If i'm right, his +70% tm on any debuff will work whit separatist....hello B2 ;)
  • Sino
    30 posts Member
    Moicaliss wrote: »
    If i'm right, his +70% tm on any debuff will work whit separatist....hello B2 ;)

I think they´ll keep this ability like it is. Only Geo debuffs will work...
  • I currently run Geo Spy with AA, Leia, RG, and Poogle (my SUN Fac still at 6 stars) and I have great results with him. I love 1 shots on rey and yoda when set up right cause they annoy me.

Besides IG-88 what other leaders do you think would be a positive to get the most out of his skill set.
    and are Crit Dmg and Crit chance the best use of mods for him?

Poggle Leader skill for him is worthless
    Phasma seems to do well
    Teebo doesn't seem like a good fit to put whole team in stealth at times + he already has plus 70% turn meter unique
  • Sino
    30 posts Member
    Well since IG88 only was used for TM gain trough debuffs... after the patch he is not my first leader for spy anymore.

I had medium good results pre patch with:

ig88 - gs - spy - b2/sun fac - rg

After patch there was no more comps i found out to be useful against the current meta.
    Never forget, it´s not about the offense, you can win almost every comp with almost every comp but you have to have a fearsome defense team.
  • Sino wrote: »
    Well since IG88 only was used for TM gain trough debuffs... after the patch he is not my first leader for spy anymore.

After patch there was no more comps i found out to be useful against the current meta.
    Never forget, it´s not about the offense, you can win almost every comp with almost every comp but you have to have a fearsome defense team.

I was thinking of possibly trying out a full geo squad
    Poggle leader - GS - Gspy - Sun Fac and RG

they do decent in GW for me but haven't fully tested it yet still gearing Sun fac and GS up.
    Maybe a different leader with a all 4 geos on squad might be fun but not sure who to use.

I just don't think Geo Have the right amount of synergy as other squads do yet. which I hope gets fixed with the Separatists tag goes live. (but who knows)

• Sino
    30 posts Member
    Blackjacks wrote: »
    Sino wrote: »

I was thinking of possibly trying out a full geo squad
    Poggle leader - GS - Gspy - Sun Fac and RG

they do decent in GW for me but haven't fully tested it yet still gearing Sun fac and GS up.
    Maybe a different leader with a all 4 geos on squad might be fun but not sure who to use.

I just don't think Geo Have the right amount of synergy as other squads do yet. which I hope gets fixed with the Separatists tag goes live. (but who knows)

I really hope the seperatist tag will bring some nice features.

Otherwise atm i don´t see a full geo squad be competitive.
    I also used them in GW with poggle lead and B2 as last spot and in GW they doin great.

Yes i know, B2 is contra for spy but believe me, he is not.
    Poggle needs a better lead ability for Geos and a pund more dmg to be useful. I have mine maxed out and i am pretty dissapointed.

I will still keep working on a geo squad since i love spy and GS
  • Well after watching a bunch of YouTube Videos even though I don't have him unlocked I think im going to have to farm IG-88

IG-88 Leader, Poogle (Droid Assault, Metal Hive), Geo Spy, Sun Fac, and maybe RG (two tanks might keep IG-88 alive while Spy does the dirty work) or Geo Solider

The extra turn meter for Spy should be amazing at 70% per negative stat from Geo toons.
    I wish Poogle had more synergy with other Geo but I think that will give me the most use out of spy.

I think Sun Fac hurts Geo Spy at times to when you have the set up and he counters and clears all positive stats (but that's what also makes Sun Fac Fun)

If Seperatist tags shows any true love I think it will be nice.

• Sino
    30 posts Member
    Blackjacks wrote: »

The extra turn meter for Spy should be amazing at 70% per negative stat from Geo toons.
    I wish Poogle had more synergy with other Geo but I think that will give me the most use out of spy.

And that is the exact point where it´s going to become crap.
    Why?
    Cause spy TM gain from ig88 lead got nerfed or bugged as hell.
    You can google or youtube spy tm gain after last patch. It doesn´t work anymore.
    getting 1x TM and then nothing more...
  • Awww ok I wasn't aware of that I know his Stealth is a lil bugging graphic wise but I wasn't aware of that.
    Hopefully by the time I unlock level and gear IG88 it will be fixed.

Went back up top and reread some of those post.

Fingers crossed
  • I was able to get finish rank #1 with 88, spy, GS, Rey and RG. When it works Spy does a ton of damage.

However this team drops rank very quickly so sadly I am back to my meta team. Hopefully his issues are fixed because it is a lot of fun to run.
  • if you can get in the top 5 with the squad and the only issue is they drop lower rank overnight I have no problem getting back to the top 5 ill take that all day.
  • How do you record?
  • what mods are people putting on. Are you using HP or crit% and crit dmg variation?

I currently have hp on mine but was thinking of switching
  • BUG FIXES
    Geonosian Spy: "Illicit Insect" will now correctly grant Turn Meter when a Geonosian ally debuffs a target that already had a debuff inflicted by a Geonosian.
  • Sino
    30 posts Member
    DarthLark wrote: »
    BUG FIXES
    Geonosian Spy: "Illicit Insect" will now correctly grant Turn Meter when a Geonosian ally debuffs a target that already had a debuff inflicted by a Geonosian.

Trying whats going on now and if it´s enough to keep top ranks now