Light saber wielders should be able block and deflect blasters

Valgys
8 posts Member
edited August 2016
I understand it's inherently a coding issue, but the developers should really consider adding a defense mechanic that involves blocking and deflecting blaster fire with light sabers. It's a LS wielder's primary method of defense against blasters, especially for Jedi. Heck, Luke Skywalker's Jedi training started with learning how to block the shots from the training droid!

It has potential to add to Game Balance: Jedi as an affliation have some synergies but don't really counter other groups. And overall, they are lacking in the damage department and have a middling defense and speed. Adding a defense mechanic with the saber provides a counter to all blaster users and at least emphasizes their defensive skills and makes them good in one particular area.

Maybe have a base of 10% to block with saber, but then depending on the toon, the block chance is higher, and even the chance to deflect to a random enemy with the more offensive Jedi. Maybe keep the percentages on average lower for Sith to stay balanced.

This could provide a good, balanced counter to the other groups, especially clones and scoundrels while making LS wielders more attractive for use.

Replies

• While it may make sense, game mechanics are balanced for the game and not the "real" world. Case and point: Many in-game lightsabers vs Rey's stick.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Maybe that can be one of Jedi Luke's unique abilities?

Light Saber Parry
    Whenever Jedi Luke is attacked by [blaster weapon] he has a 30% to deflect the incoming shot. If he does, he has a 50% chance of deflecting it at a random opponent.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Pet peeve: Jedi are somehow invulnerable to withering, blanket blaster fire on the battlefield. It's unreasonable to expect they could deflect every bolt fired their way when faced with numerous repeaters from several angles, but in The Clone Wars they do. It's ludicrous.
    Sure, they could deflect some shots, I'll give them that. But it's a little much when they're surrounded by 6 B2 droids and deflect every bolt fired at them.
  • They lack Plot Armor in this game.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Pet peeve: Jedi are somehow invulnerable to withering, blanket blaster fire on the battlefield. It's unreasonable to expect they could deflect every bolt fired their way when faced with numerous repeaters from several angles, but in The Clone Wars they do. It's ludicrous.
    Sure, they could deflect some shots, I'll give them that. But it's a little much when they're surrounded by 6 B2 droids and deflect every bolt fired at them.

Just remember - humans are also not supposed to be able to pod race. Just saying.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Haha, I posted a similar thread months ago. Not sure how much work we're actually asking them to do, but it would certainly look cool. :)
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • mutimloh wrote: »
    While it may make sense, game mechanics are balanced for the game and not the "real" world. Case and point: Many in-game lightsabers vs Rey's stick.

I'm not sure what you got from my original post but I'm saying the ability to block and deflect blaster fire could help balance the game for the relatively unimpressive group of light saber wielders (particularly Jedi). And it's an ability that's somewhat common to them (hence the Luke Skywalker reference) so it's worth looking into.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    after a huuuuugeeee megathread on dodge, i dont think saber wielders deflecting blaster fire is the way to go.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • this makes sense but would make all gun users obsolete and in truth most gun users vs someone with a LS would lose but that would throw balance out of the window
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    leef wrote: »
    after a huuuuugeeee megathread on dodge, i dont think saber wielders deflecting blaster fire is the way to go.

So many good memories though. It was over 80 pages. It remains my favorite mega.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Pet peeve: Jedi are somehow invulnerable to withering, blanket blaster fire on the battlefield. It's unreasonable to expect they could deflect every bolt fired their way when faced with numerous repeaters from several angles, but in The Clone Wars they do. It's ludicrous.

1 Word: VAAPAD! :D
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Maybe that can be one of Jedi Luke's unique abilities?

Light Saber Parry
    Whenever Jedi Luke is attacked by [blaster weapon] he has a 30% to deflect the incoming shot. If he does, he has a 50% chance of deflecting it at a random opponent.

Personally, I like the idea! I don't think it needs to be something like the dreaded DODGE thing but more like how some of them counter already...instead of countering, you are using there own weapon against them. Make it something like you said but when it does hit a random opponent, it does only 50% of the original damage or something like that. Doesn't need to OP, just something unique. Let's face it, all of the other factions out there have cooler abilities then the Jedi, they need something else to make them used more often. It doesn't have to be all of them, just a couple...who knows, maybe General Kenobi and Jedi Luke already have it?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I understand what you mean but this is a slippery slope to make things follow in anyway the movies/books.

It's a sandbox game, let's leave the specifics out of it for now.

There is this thing called the Force
  • Every time a jedi or sith dodges a blaster bolt i encourage you to do one thing:

Use your IMAGINATION ;D
  • This isn't dark forces two Jedi Knight.
  • 2 Jedis 1 Saber
    :s:#
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Go play SWFC if you want to see some bolt deflection. By the way, where is Jar Jar?
  • This could easily be displayed by giving all Jedi and Sith a small bump in evasion for those that don't have any.
    Since it's already a stat give all Jedi and Sith an inherent 6% evasion. Not major but enough to display their abilities to react am faster than humanly possible
  • I guess I didn't see Episode III correctly. Did all the jedi die from blasters or no?
  • Xoltor wrote: »
    I guess I didn't see Episode III correctly. Did all the jedi die from blasters or no?

Some were shot down while flying!
  • Been saying this for months.

Would also be cool if they could deflect the blast back at the enemy.
  • A small percent to block and even smaller to deflect would do wonders for the LS wielders. It seems imbalanced to have various characters do very well against Jedi, but the Jedi having nothing but the random utility to add to a squad, so they give no counters for an opponent to double check their own squad makeup before entering battle.