Sick of the Mod lottery

This is a great game but I'm a bit upset that it has essentially become a gambling game.

Drop rates aside, to get the speed secondary mods, you keep buying lottery tickets.... And speed is king at the moment.

A bit boring.....

Replies

• I agree. I miss when you got what you worked for. When furnaces first appeared in shipments I saved crystals for a week to get one. That was called taking the initiative, and it allowed me to ascend from top 100 to top 5.

Now anyone with lucky mod drops can essentially surpass me without putting real effort into their team. Arena rankings are now determined by whose ST Han has the most speed, and that is silly. Speed primaries and secondaries should be percentage based like every other stat
  • Nastynas91 wrote: »
    I agree. I miss when you got what you worked for.

The game was amazing at launch, all the way up to the release of mods. I know it is not my desire to play the game diminishing because I get the same amount of enjoyment from playing alt accounts pre-level 50.

It was nice seeing someone's roster and knowing you had x amount of work to do before you could match them. Not it's all about spamming mod sim and praying you get a mod that will increase ___ speed by 1.
  • First, I hold 1st at my reset almost every day. That said, I hate speed as an attribute on mods. It's very disruptive. I've seen Reys with over 300 speed!! There is a Palpatine on my shard right now over 200. Speed condaries is cancerous and it will only get worse over time. I personally want to see it removed. Speed primary is okay with me and speed set should probably only require 2 pieces for its bonus, and it would be better balanced.
  • I think that speed is really only a problem because of the burst meta. What we really need to start seeing are viable defensive leaders. Think along the lines of Rex. He is one of the few leads at the moment who can counter a speed based team. Old ben to a lesser extent. Another form of defensive lead would potentially be Yoda with some modifications. His lead needs to apply to all toons, not just Jedi. His AI also needs to be updated to use BM first, good counter vs palpatine speed teams.

I've advocated defense leaders (e.g. fives) before. With some updates, this is definitely a way to stop speed facilitated burst.
  • Nastynas91 wrote: »
    I agree. I miss when you got what you worked for.

The game was amazing at launch, all the way up to the release of mods. I know it is not my desire to play the game diminishing because I get the same amount of enjoyment from playing alt accounts pre-level 50.

It was nice seeing someone's roster and knowing you had x amount of work to do before you could match them. Not it's all about spamming mod sim and praying you get a mod that will increase ___ speed by 1.

I agree. Though I did not join until mid-February, moving up through the ranks was a logical progression, and there were opportunities to take an advantage. It required thinking and hard work.

Now it's just a mod lottery, and I refuse to participate. I was able to farm plenty of mods when they were released, and I don't want to deal with the drop rates now. I'd rather focus on characters. I want Wedge. I want B2. I want Anakin. I don't want the boring rng fest that is farming mods
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    TommySitt wrote: »
    I've been buying the 5 dot speed arrows, and mods showing speed secondaries from the shop. With the new credit heist and the buyable credits from the arena, it's very doable.

You'd have better luck burning crystals for Cantina refreshes and running the tiered mod events. That way you'd get a lot of other mods and mk3 ability mats. The mod store us for suckers!
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Josh_K wrote: »
    I think that speed is really only a problem because of the burst meta. What we really need to start seeing are viable defensive leaders. Think along the lines of Rex. He is one of the few leads at the moment who can counter a speed based team. Old ben to a lesser extent. Another form of defensive lead would potentially be Yoda with some modifications. His lead needs to apply to all toons, not just Jedi. His AI also needs to be updated to use BM first, good counter vs palpatine speed teams.

I've advocated defense leaders (e.g. fives) before. With some updates, this is definitely a way to stop speed facilitated burst.

I disagree. Look at any top arena team and you'll barely find any defense based characters aside from a tank/taunter here or there. It's all speed and AoE! You can't stop that combo no matter how many defense mods you add.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • WhaleKiller1
    517 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    It's always been a gambling game, only worse now. When someone scores a few insane speed secondaries for their Stormtrooper Han and he's under a speed leader, that person's whole team will go first. Even against droids if running with raid Solo also.

Basically it's all about who got lucky enough with speed secondaries. Even buying mods in the shop is a gamble because the secondaries listed aren't guaranteed to go any higher (which they should IMO). There's literally no way to surely secure good speed through skill, crystals, credits, or anything else but luck.

I think I'm close to throwing in the towel. The fun has been steadily **** out of the game, slowly but surely. Well, unless you're one of the lucky ones or don't care about how horrible the system is.

• Josh_K wrote: »
    I think that speed is really only a problem because of the burst meta. What we really need to start seeing are viable defensive leaders. Think along the lines of Rex. He is one of the few leads at the moment who can counter a speed based team. Old ben to a lesser extent. Another form of defensive lead would potentially be Yoda with some modifications. His lead needs to apply to all toons, not just Jedi. His AI also needs to be updated to use BM first, good counter vs palpatine speed teams.

I disagree. Look at any top arena team and you'll barely find any defense based characters aside from a tank/taunter here or there. It's all speed and AoE! You can't stop that combo no matter how many defense mods you add.

That is exactly the point. Defensive leaders are not viable at the moment. They need to be made viable before people start using them. I pointed out that Rex is a good example of one. There need to be others.
  • Josh_K wrote: »

That is exactly the point. Defensive leaders are not viable at the moment. They need to be made viable before people start using them. I pointed out that Rex is a good example of one. There need to be others.

And Rex is behind a paywall with most of the clones.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member

Not just defensive leaders imo, but an overhaul/buff to the defense system overall. Make defense sets and mods giving +15 defense desirable. Perhaps make defense have a flat damage reduction component to reduce the overall effectiveness of aoe and multiattacks. We just need some combination of these things so that we're not trying to stack +15 speed secondaries even on Rex or IGD lead counter teams.
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited September 2016

I see where you're coming from now - my bad! Speaking of Rex, I reworked my entire arena team earlier today (see pic below - I was using Ani, QGJ, Lando, Rey, RG or SF). My Rex now has 200 speed. I'm able to tenacity up near right away and keep Palps from shocking/stunning. It kept me in the top 5 easy today (on a very competitive original server) versus falling to top 15-20 and then having to climb my way back up. Only time will tell if this holds up.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    Zooey wrote: »

Not just defensive leaders imo, but an overhaul/buff to the defense system overall. Make defense sets and mods giving +15 defense desirable. Perhaps make defense have a flat damage reduction component to reduce the overall effectiveness of aoe and multiattacks. We just need some combination of these things so that we're not trying to stack +15 speed secondaries even on Rex or IGD lead counter teams.

I've tested this to some extent using a Cody lead. Stacking flat defense to get around 300 defense modded (about 32% physical damage reduction). His leader buff gives 3.5x total defense with 5 clones up. This works out to about 67% or so damage reduction. Video gives you an idea of the magnitude of the changes required to defense. Compare damage taken between fives (@42% damage reduction) and Cody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzT1cK4uNLk

With viable defense leads to buff reduction % to the required level, and competitive defense bonuses from mods, this can really make a huge difference to arena diversity.

• Oh, did your clones just wiped out the entire galaxy on that vid?
    My favorite characters Empire - Sith
  • TommySitt wrote: »
    I've been buying the 5 dot speed arrows, and mods showing speed secondaries from the shop. With the new credit heist and the buyable credits from the arena, it's very doable.

I'd believe if primary speed mods were ever sold for credits, but they just haven't been.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Zooey wrote: »

I've tested this to some extent using a Cody lead. Stacking flat defense to get around 300 defense modded (about 32% physical damage reduction). His leader buff gives 3.5x total defense with 5 clones up. This works out to about 67% or so damage reduction. Video gives you an idea of the magnitude of the changes required to defense. Compare damage taken between fives (@42% damage reduction) and Cody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzT1cK4uNLk

With viable defense leads to buff reduction % to the required level, and competitive defense bonuses from mods, this can really make a huge difference to arena diversity.

Seems pretty legit. I suppose the only danger of making this kind of tankiness available for more toons is that we might go too far the other way and end up with a bunch of characters hitting each other for 5% of their hp pool just to get healed up by Bariss.