Tenacity vs Potency

Okay, so I was just hoping to get some clarity on how tenacity and potency work. I feel that tenacity is heavily favored, as whenever "tenacity up" is granted via Yoda or Rex, it trumps anything I can throw at it. My Emperor Palpatine has 106% potency, if you include the 32% that he is supposed to be getting from his leadership ability it becomes 138% potency. Why is it that with this much potency, I can never apply shock or stun to a character with "tenacity up?" I am only assuming here that tenacity up works the same as offense up or defense up, and offers the same amount, which is +50% of said stat. So why do characters who do not have a base tenacity of any more than say 20-30% become immune to every form of debuff, regardless of the amount of potency on the character attempting to apply the debuff? It appears to me that tenacity up is not working as intended, and instead makes entire squads immune to debuffs for the duration of the buff...or perhaps that is it's intention, and if so, instead of being dubbed tenacity up, it should be labeled something such as debuff immunity. Again, some clarity on this topic would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Zilken wrote: »
    makes entire squads immune to debuffs for the duration of the buff

• Yeah, I just saw a youtube video and the guy tapped on a buff to explain it...didn't know this was a thing. So I threw Yoda in a light side battle just to check it out. Tenacity up should be called something entirely different. So glad they clarify these things for us so that we don't farm unnecessary mods thinking they are actually going to be beneficial...that's entirely sarcasm btw seeing as I have farmed a lot of potency mods at this point, just to find that anyone who puts in enough cash for a 7* Rex can dispel his squad, then undeniably prevent future debuffs for 2 turns, regardless of potency of my characters.
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Zilken wrote: »
    Okay, so I was just hoping to get some clarity on how tenacity and potency work. I feel that tenacity is heavily favored, as whenever "tenacity up" is granted via Yoda or Rex, it trumps anything I can throw at it. My Emperor Palpatine has 106% potency, if you include the 32% that he is supposed to be getting from his leadership ability it becomes 138% potency. Why is it that with this much potency, I can never apply shock or stun to a character with "tenacity up?" I am only assuming here that tenacity up works the same as offense up or defense up, and offers the same amount, which is +50% of said stat. So why do characters who do not have a base tenacity of any more than say 20-30% become immune to every form of debuff, regardless of the amount of potency on the character attempting to apply the debuff? It appears to me that tenacity up is not working as intended, and instead makes entire squads immune to debuffs for the duration of the buff...or perhaps that is it's intention, and if so, instead of being dubbed tenacity up, it should be labeled something such as debuff immunity. Again, some clarity on this topic would be much appreciated.

Tenacity: Let's call this a "passive" statistic, it's always present to some degree in your character. This providess x% chance to resist a negative effect. Check your character's information to see how much they actually have.

Tenacity-Up: This completely nullifies any negative effect from landing, except I believe Anakin can still expose himself when it's active. Potency is irrelevant in situations where Tenacity-Up is granted.

Potency: Again, this is a passive statistic and is always present on your character. Check your character's information to see how much they have. This improves your chance to land a negative effect by x%. The calculation is essentially [Tenacity - defender] - [Potency - attacker] = x% chance to resist the effect with a minimum chance of 15% to resist; all characters at least have a 15% chance.

Potency-Up: I think Kit Fisto is the only character that has this but not 100% sure. I believe it's a 20% increase in Potency to the character, but it will not negate Tenacity-up.

The Tenacity-Up buff is basically a "trump card" for Emperor Palpatine and other characters that rely on various debuffs. A character like B2 Battle Droid can actually dispel Tenacity-Up with his AOE, characters like Plo Koon, QGJ, Ventress, SunFac, etc can also dispel the buff. Dispelling the buff or waiting for it's term to end is the only way of getting around it essentially.
  • If Tenacity-Up makes immune, why does Tenacity-Down not remove the 15% base chance to resist?