Arena Defenders overly difficult

So I've been playing since beta first launched, and up until the global launch was loving the game. I understand that getting PvP right is a delicate balance, and I've played enough rpg's and mmorpg's to know that it can sometimes take years to find something of an equilibrium.

Having said that, defenders in the arena simply have it too easy. Perhaps it's my server - as there are a plethora of 7 stars - but there have been multiple instances where I've been up against a team of an identical make up, and still lost horribly. And before someone suggests the obvious: no, they weren't better geared or higher ranked. I've seen several of the same players in Galactic March and I know they're either lower ranked or, at the very most, similar power level.

I can accept losing, even to an 'inferior' team in terms of match up or power; but I really am tired of the likes of seeing multiple instances of enemy Jedi characters resisting Dooku's force lightning, or enemies repeatedly dodging and resisting special attacks.
I have 13 fully geared lvl 60 characters - at least half with 6 or 7 stars - and it doesn't matter what combination I use, I'm still only winning 1 or 2 out of my 5 attacks. So basically I'm slipping farther down the rankings and fast losing interest in signing in to maintain the grind; especially when most of the time I'm just frustrated. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually preferred it when fights were locked on auto attack.

Anyway: rant over. Be curious to know if anyone else is in a similar place atm.

Replies

• Keaven
    1099 posts Member
    What's an example of a matchup and how you approach it?
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • I appreciate that you're trying to help, but I can assure this isn't a learn to play issue. This game's mechanics are relatively simple, as are the priorities in a pvp match up. Just had the same experience: 1 out of 5 wins, and three of those were against the same player, so I was able to adjust my team make up and vary attack pattern.

• So I've been playing since beta first launched, and up until the global launch was loving the game. I understand that getting PvP right is a delicate balance, and I've played enough rpg's and mmorpg's to know that it can sometimes take years to find something of an equilibrium.

Having said that, defenders in the arena simply have it too easy. Perhaps it's my server - as there are a plethora of 7 stars - but there have been multiple instances where I've been up against a team of an identical make up, and still lost horribly. And before someone suggests the obvious: no, they weren't better geared or higher ranked. I've seen several of the same players in Galactic March and I know they're either lower ranked or, at the very most, similar power level.

I can accept losing, even to an 'inferior' team in terms of match up or power; but I really am tired of the likes of seeing multiple instances of enemy Jedi characters resisting Dooku's force lightning, or enemies repeatedly dodging and resisting special attacks.
    I have 13 fully geared lvl 60 characters - at least half with 6 or 7 stars - and it doesn't matter what combination I use, I'm still only winning 1 or 2 out of my 5 attacks. So basically I'm slipping farther down the rankings and fast losing interest in signing in to maintain the grind; especially when most of the time I'm just frustrated. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually preferred it when fights were locked on auto attack.

Anyway: rant over. Be curious to know if anyone else is in a similar place atm.

I havent noticed anything yet as i have yet to lose a battle when attacking ( and i run on auto attack lol ) but then again im only a lvl 53, and im on one of the global launch servers so there is still plenty to grow/get harder. Ill keep an eye out though! Thanks for the heads up
    ~ im2awesome ~ FC: 516-518-889
    "There can only be one, I will be the one!" - Jet Li

• I'm not sure that defending is overpowered at all, considering my PvP rank freefalls daily.
    I believe that PvP is seriously screwed up all around.
  • Once i hit level 35 or so, and top 1000, i don't seem to lose much ground. but since there is no way to really know how many times i'm attacked, i'm not really sure if i'm defending or people aren't fighting me....

In the top 1000 from 35-40, i tend to win 90% of my attacks. i'm sure i'll run into trouble when i get higher as paying players put together better teams. I can usually find a chewy team that is a lower level and similar power that i can beat if i cycle through the matches a few times. Once in a while there is a nightmare hiding behind that chewy and i get rocked lol
  • SeroZero
    154 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I believe this is a situation that will be very common once most people in the arena bracket played for a few months. (the exact situation soft launch arena is in now)

In our arena, everyone has a full pvp team of lvl60, max possible gear, 6/7* if not all 7*. Payer or freemium, the amount of time passed has allowed everyone to build a fully capped team of 5 characters at least. Winning now entirely depends on the % figures, whether that dooku stuns, or Sid landing that healing immunity debuff.

There is basically no power difference between anyone, whether you spent 10 bucks or 5000, you are all using 5, capped, characters. What determines your fate is pure RNG, whether your % dependent skills and heroes do their work. And of cos, the offensive player's little tricks with manual control.

The AI however, like OP mentioned, has some special psychic power to always stun 2 units with dooku, while you fail or even miss the skill. Or somehow daka can always double stun, your Sid doesn't land his healing immunity even after 3 hits (some 100% chance, grrr).

When everything lies down on RNG, you really feel the heartburn when it goes against you. Today, some random IG-86 sniped my IG-88 and instant killed it with crit, somehow assist call was on daka who stunned my lumi right before her turn, HK-87 threw a 25% aoe that managed to debuff all (some 25% that is, triggering on all 4 remaining units). The rest of the fight, I cried.