Next Major Update - PVP Tournaments...and more! ***MEGATHREAD***

Replies

• How does the tourney in HODA work? Is it live pvp?
  • I still think character buffs should have happened before the tournament. Everyone in the tournament is going to use the same characters.

At least give people like Darth Maul, Ventress, Boba Fett more speed and health and protection, this will at least get people to use these characters more.
  • yeah if it's live that would be awesome
  • I had some ideas I posted WAYYYY back in April in this thread:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/27235/new-mode-a-letter-to-the-developer#latest

But I think making it live PvP would be a smash hit. Each tournament round could earn your "tourney currency" that could be used to buy a new exclusive character or high-end gear (similar to guild store). I also proposed that doing 3 rounds of 5v5 would be the most fair way to regulate the tournament. You blindly pick 5 toons and your opponent blindly picks 5 toons (this would also differentiate it from arena battles) and you fight round 1. Round 2 would force you to use 5 different characters. First person to win 2 rounds moves on to next round. In between rounds, I also highlighted in my original April post how using the flex-tourney style (like used in FIFA and some other EA games) would expedite the tourney process (assuming it's PvP). This wouldn't lock you in to a set group of 16 players, but rather would let the game auto match you to a person looking for a 2nd round match or whatever round you're in. Just some ideas--always fun to speculate :smiley:
  • IDobaFett
    237 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Slewfoot wrote: »
    How does the tourney in HODA work? Is it live pvp?

No, in HoDA it is AI vs AI. I'm sure SWGOH will be different in that aspect. Either player vs AI like arena or live (true PvP). In HoDA, you had an energy source, so you got 6 attacks and then had to wait for the refresh to attack again. You would set a defensive team and the player could cycle through teams (refresh) to find a beatable matchup. Every win would provide banners that would dictate your ranking and the quality of players you were matched against. The more banners you win, the harder the matchups but also the better rewards. Rewards were provided throughout the event as you meet certain banner milestones, and then at the end of the tournament you would win new cards and gems.

I'm sure SWGOH will not share many of those aspects, but I am excited for a leaderboard (not Arena stile sniping) for more than 5 playable PvP battles per day.
  • I had some ideas I posted WAYYYY back in April in this thread:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/27235/new-mode-a-letter-to-the-developer#latest

But I think making it live PvP would be a smash hit. Each tournament round could earn your "tourney currency" that could be used to buy a new exclusive character or high-end gear (similar to guild store). I also proposed that doing 3 rounds of 5v5 would be the most fair way to regulate the tournament. You blindly pick 5 toons and your opponent blindly picks 5 toons (this would also differentiate it from arena battles) and you fight round 1. Round 2 would force you to use 5 different characters. First person to win 2 rounds moves on to next round. In between rounds, I also highlighted in my original April post how using the flex-tourney style (like used in FIFA and some other EA games) would expedite the tourney process (assuming it's PvP). This wouldn't lock you in to a set group of 16 players, but rather would let the game auto match you to a person looking for a 2nd round match or whatever round you're in. Just some ideas--always fun to speculate :smiley:

i love this idea. +1
  • What are your thoughts??
  • I'm super intrigued about ships! The only thing I can think of is replace the current arenas with space and then line 5 ships up on either side lol. Same as usual, but different!

Idk. Can't wait to find out though.

All new modes are welcome. I'm relatively new to the game but I'm loving it. Big thanks to the devs for making this game so awesome and deep. :) I'm in it for the long haul
  • Dhoey321 wrote: »
    I had some ideas I posted WAYYYY back in April in this thread:

i love this idea. +1

Thanks man! I just love the idea of having to have 15 strong toons instead of just one team of 5. Would be fun to play around with all the combinations.
  • Dhoey321 wrote: »

i love this idea. +1

Thanks man! I just love the idea of having to have 15 strong toons instead of just one team of 5. Would be fun to play around with all the combinations.

i agree, i think deep rosters should be key to something instead of just the main 5. Obviously everyone has a strong main 5 but what about the rest of their characters. Hopefully they consider this.
  • RAYRAY wrote: »
    I truly hope some character balance fixes come out along with the new pvp tournament. It would be cool to have a larger selection of viable toons. Examples: Tarkin need more aoe damage and base speed, maul, boba, others need a rework. (Maul+savage synergy needs to happen yesterday to the same level of Wiggs). Kylo Ren could use more damage. I can go on. Let's get a real incentive to go back and gear/level those unused toons.

I support this 100%!
  • X weings and tye fitters!
  • this will be another good idea with terrible implmentation. i hope not, but given the history of this guys...
  • IDobaFett wrote: »
    Slewfoot wrote: »
    How does the tourney in HODA work? Is it live pvp?

No, in HoDA it is AI vs AI. I'm sure SWGOH will be different in that aspect. Either player vs AI like arena or live (true PvP). In HoDA, you had an energy source, so you got 6 attacks and then had to wait for the refresh to attack again. You would set a defensive team and the player could cycle through teams (refresh) to find a beatable matchup. Every win would provide banners that would dictate your ranking and the quality of players you were matched against. The more banners you win, the harder the matchups but also the better rewards. Rewards were provided throughout the event as you meet certain banner milestones, and then at the end of the tournament you would win new cards and gems.

I'm sure SWGOH will not share many of those aspects, but I am excited for a leaderboard (not Arena stile sniping) for more than 5 playable PvP battles per day.

Thanks for the info, i doubt they can do live pvp, but ill like having a ladder that doesnt involve sniping.
  • Tavanh wrote: »
    PvP tourney? Is this something like a buy in feature? If the rewards are sub-par I doubt anyone would want to participate in it.
    I have a hunch that they're going to put exclusive Tourney ONLY characters as rewards.

Good point. People will need to decide, based on rewards, where they want to spend their time. Old style Arena, GW, or PvP? A lot of people are done or finishing up characters from Arena and GW currency, so they will most likely gravitate towards new PvP and may not do GW or Arena as much or at all.
  • Ships are cool.

I assume they're going to cost credits to level/upgrade etc.

So could you like add a couple of zeros onto the end of how many credits things give us that would be lovely
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Dhoey321 wrote: »
    I still think character buffs should have happened before the tournament. Everyone in the tournament is going to use the same characters.

At least give people like Darth Maul, Ventress, Boba Fett more speed and health and protection, this will at least get people to use these characters more.

100% agree!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

This could be interesting to keep it different from arena then - but if it's say 5 v 5 teams, then why not make it so your tourney teams are made up from guild members - this would bring guilds and their members closer and be more of a team.

Also not sure if high-end gear would work for tourney as everyone needs gear regardless. THis wouldn't be fair on those not wanting to participate in the tournaments - but "forced" to in order to keep their entire roster up to par. I'm still struggling to get well needed guild gear - because they took the **** furnace out of shipments!!!!

But a new hot new toon - that would certainly peak interest for sure!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    RAYRAY wrote: »
    I truly hope some character balance fixes come out along with the new pvp tournament. It would be cool to have a larger selection of viable toons. Examples: Tarkin need more aoe damage and base speed, maul, boba, others need a rework. (Maul+savage synergy needs to happen yesterday to the same level of Wiggs). Kylo Ren could use more damage. I can go on. Let's get a real incentive to go back and gear/level those unused toons.

I agree totally!!!!
  • DoomeyEyes
    264 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    Greetings Hologamers,

Today we are announcing our next major update, PVP Tournaments! This update will be launching in stages over the next two weeks.

PVP Tournaments will have players battling each other to climb the ranks for prizes that are only available during a tournament. Each tournament will only run for a limited number of days, so be sure to get your best PVP squad ready to battle it out!

What can you do to prepare? Broaden your collection, buff up your characters, and hone your strategies!

The tournaments feature will only be available for players level 30 and higher. Stay tuned for additional information on this update next week.

And one more thing: in addition to this update, the development team has already been hard at work on our biggest update yet which will feature (wait for it)…

Ships! *drops mic*

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/68598/next-major-update-pvp-tournaments-and-more/p1?new=1

*** As always keep things civil, within forum guidelines and on topic!

OK, let's see what they are telling us here. First, the next update is pvp tournaments... ships will be a future update. Second, the prizes will be tournament only, so nothing we can earn as a prize... meaning not raid gear... it does not specify that prizes are only obtainable in a tournament, only that a tournament is the only way to "win" them. Even though you can win crystals and credits, I would not be surprised if those show up in the prize pool. I suspect we are talking about chromium only characters and shards, probably Vader too. Maybe some new characters... R2 and Wicket come to mind.

As for the format, they are telling us 2 different things... first get your best team ready to go. Second, broaden your collection. The first comment suggests you get to choose owe team to fight, like arena pvp... I that is somewhat suspect. Broadening your roster suggests either that there will be character restrictions or that you will run multiple squads, like a hearthstone tournament... or both. There's a lot of hate for whales, so I doubt that character restrictions will be severe... more like light side or dark side. If I had to guess, I'd say it will be a 3v3 team format... which tracks with the left-side shadow on the guild page.

The big question is will the tournament be global, per shard, per region or based on guild rank?
  • I honestly hope ships have more strategy involved in playing them. They are probably crewed by one of your other toons for boosts. Hopefully whatever we use to grind for them is a separate currency.
  • DoomeyEyes
    264 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Now for ships... pure speculation at this point, but I'm willing to bet that you have to buy ships, and then get parts for them... if that's true, then most likely you will need credits to buy them... there may be an option to buy with crystals, but it's doubtful that a ship will be a mandatory crystal investment... that would be too blatant of a cash grab and could cripple the game... so, assuming it's primarily credits (1m for the cheapest and 25-50m for the Falcon or a star destroyer) your priority should be hoarding credits... the best way to do that is with a good scoundrel team... if you have one you are gtg... just stop spending beyond essentials... if you do not... well, you're a bad because you should have done that the day the first credit heist was announced... that's just basic strategic planning... but anyway, get your scoundrels, hoard your credits and wait to buy Slave 1.

As for the game play, they said it is their biggest update every so it's not just an added layer to already existing game play, it's another branch entirely... so likely ship to ship combat... which may be 1 on 1 or may be 3 on 3 or 5 on 5... if it's the latter 2, they will likely give some free weak ships (like they gave us a Jawa, JC and Chewie) but you will need multiple ships... all the more reason to have scoundrels and hoard credits.
  • Cant wait to have the Enterprise
  • DoomeyEyes wrote: »
    Now for ships... pure speculation at this point, but I'm willing to bet that you have to buy ships, and then get parts for them... if that's true, then most likely you will need credits to buy them... there may be an option to buy with crystals, but it's doubtful that a ship will be a mandatory crystal investment... that would be too blatant of a cash grab and could cripple the game... so, assuming it's primarily credits (1m for the cheapest and 25-50m for the Falcon or a star destroyer) your priority should be hoarding credits... the best way to do that is with a good scoundrel team... if you have one you are gtg... just stop spending beyond essentials... if you do not... well, you're a bad because you should have done that the day the first credit heist was announced... that's just basic strategic planning... but anyway, get your scoundrels, hoard your credits and wait to buy Slave 1.

As for the game play, they said it is their biggest update every so it's not just an added layer to already existing game play, it's another branch entirely... so likely ship to ship combat... which may be 1 on 1 or may be 3 on 3 or 5 on 5... if it's the latter 2, they will likely give some free weak ships (like they gave us a Jawa, JC and Chewie) but you will need multiple ships... all the more reason to have scoundrels and hoard credits.

It could go even further with raids (for example the Death star trench run)
  • I honestly hope ships have more strategy involved in playing them. They are probably crewed by one of your other toons for boosts. Hopefully whatever we use to grind for them is a separate currency.

It's a mobile game, so I'm not expecting dogfights (actually hoping it's not like that). I'm happy with anything starships outside of that. I'm sure we'll be pleasantly surprised.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107

Off target...

Roflcopter
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I saw one thread - can't find it now - but a developer liked the idea that you can earn ship parts (like gear) and build ships.

Perhaps ship parts could be the arena rewards?

The parts can be available before the update, as no one will have enough parts to build the ships etc. until ships come out anyway.
This discussion has been closed.