Developer Q&A thread

Prev1345
Greetings Heroes,

It's Q&A time! I'm opening this post for questions over the weekend and will be closing it on Monday, January 25th. Go ahead and post questions that you'd like to ask the development team about the game in this thread.

On Monday I'll be closing this thread down and compiling all of the questions for the CG team. Once the questions have been answered (I'm guessing it'll be at least a week) I'll post the original questions in the forums along with the answers.

A couple of things:
  • We'll do our best to answer the majority of questions we receive, but may not have time to answer them all.
  • If I see a question that is inappropriate it'll be tossed out.

So there you have it, ask away about game mechanics or anything else you might want to know about. :)
Community Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes | Follow me on Twitter - Darokaz

Replies

• Do abilities that give bonuses upon living allies, count for the toon itself?

E.g. - will Jawa gain 6% bonus for himself?

Ambush Tactics – Jawa gains 6% Evasion for each living Jawa ally
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    are there any plans to rework how arena timers lock out players from battling/being battled? or is sniping at payout time going to stay indefinitely?

thanks!
    mighty chlorians
  • I'd like to know if your new shard shop system will only affect our already 7*'d heroes or will we able to trade in those extra shards from characters we already know we wont use whether 7* or not
  • Darivon
    134 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    • What about a replay feature for Squad Arena?
    • What are the plans regarding Ships?
    • What's with the Health Steal Stat?
    Post edited by Darivon on
  • Whats the purpose behind the time limit in between arena matches and in between challenges?
  • SubmarineMan
    11 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    DO you plan to add a guild/clan feature to this game and if so would there be plans to add some kind of guild/clan war feature? I understand that this might take a while before it gets in to the game but would be worth the wait and would be something we could all look forward too :)
  • Dark
    199 posts Member
    Are you planning on release a SWGOH wiki? Or some official game info? (Stats, Abilitys, Synergies, etc)
    Ally Code: 859-197-534
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    ZVmlp6w.png
    mighty chlorians
  • Will we ever see a ROTJ Luke?
  • AimingForGaming
    334 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Well, this isn't really a question per se, more of a suggestion in question form.

Would it be possible to implement those same deals you get offered at the beginning of the game regularly (i.e The Assassin Droid Pack, The Heroine Pack, The Force Awakens pack)? It doesn't have to be everyday, but just that one-time exclusive offer rustles my jimmies a bit. Perhaps it could be monthly, or something?

Just my two cents, anyway. As for a real inquiry, will there be any new characters implemented, or any old characters being removed any time soon?

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
    AimingForGaming.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    - What steps are being taken to reduce the overall focus on the high amounts of damage being dealt in PvP? Are you comfortable with the state of the game re: PvP and games at top tier play ending in 30 seconds, due to players manipulating Turn Meters to ensure several of their characters take simultaneous turns and deal enough damage to one shot kill other characters? Are there plans to "slow the game down" in the near future?

- Will you consider doing revisions on existing characters that see little to no play, or are we basically set in stone with what we have and can only look to the future for new skills being introduced to the meta? As it is, only a small handful of characters are chosen as leaders in PvP, as their leader skills seem vastly superior to other options and we're left feeling pigeon holed in to choosing Sidious, Phasma or QGJ.

- Why do lower * characters give so few character shards when opened again in Chromium packs? Isn't this kind of a weird thing to do, considering they require MORE overall shards to reach 7* after unlocking? Why award us with as low as 7 shards when we open them subsequently, an amount actually worth LESS than opening the fraction shard instead of a hard unlock, compared to giving us 32 shards for other characters? Wouldn't opening characters at an even shard count make the playing field a bit more even?

- Currently, leader skills that provide a bonus to Speed do not function properly in the first wave of turn meter rounds leading to first actions. Is this intentional by design, or is this some sort of bug? If it IS intentional, what is the reasoning for the decision? Will you consider having some sort of in-game indication of this for the future, as currently many players have no idea of this being the case, and currently try to use leaders with Speed bonuses specifically for the first turn advantage?

- Why did you guys settle on only 35 allies on the ally list? Many of us would love to see this increased dramatically.

Post edited by Naecabon on
  • Mofojokers1992
    1975 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I have a few questions that would help me alot.

- i cannot figure out the health steal stat?
    - in future tables will their power be separated from the rest or more like the card one?
    - is the sell tab going and if so what is replacing it?
    - do you guys plan to stop snipers or is this something that is ok?
    - Would you guys be interested in having a system where the highest rank you get that day in arena is your reward?
    - Is there plans to increase power per day as the game is really addictive lol?
    - is there any changes planned for the card table?
    - will we see discounted crystal packs like 25% off the largest pack or fortnightly sales?
    - eventually will there be rooms added to provide more tables? , would be cool to move to a vip back room for larger pay outs. ;)
    - will there be increases to the ally list?
    - What guild stuff is comming?, also if we get guilds in game will we be able to talk via game?
    - what steps are you guys doing to make the none used characters more appealing?
    - the subscription setup seems very stiff even comming from me a whale lol, is there any plans to make it more appealing?,
    - is there any plans to add a pratice table with no cost to test out characters and different teams?
    - Do you guys plan to reduce the power timer at all? ( from say 5 minutes to 2:30)
    - Any chance the shipment tab will grow alot larger to help with high end farming?
    - what quirky things do you guys want to add?, maybe selling drinks that give bonuses like more credits for 1 hour etc.
    - what is going to be the max level?, as i definitely want tonnes more content but i hope there is a max level in mind and content builds on from it.
    - why don't we get all challenges every day?
    - do you guys plan on increasing the amount of turns in challenges?
    - with the sell tab going, do you guys have any plans to add crafting so we can turn x amount of lower tiers into higher tiers?

Anyway love the game and can't wait for the update. :)

A few extra questions for shard shop:

- Will the characters ever have 8 and 9 stars?
    - how have you guys sorted the ( Ewok scout vs Old Ben) shard problem?, meaning one is worth alot more than the other.
    - What ratio can we expect on these shards?
    - Also what will be available from the shop and how will it work?
    Post edited by Mofojokers1992 on
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Double post, will edit with more questions later
  • Findec
    121 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Seeing that at high levels the game is extremely fast and high damage, are there are plans to rebalance the way stats work?

Also seeing as it is common for some players who have spent moderate amounts on chromium packs to have low star ungrindable characters. Is it possible that a alternate means for promoting these currently useless characters will be added?
    Post edited by Findec on
  • can you add some easier farming options for the purple gear items that you need 50 of?
  • Is anything being done to Mace Windu?
    Will there be events that do things such as equalize all character's attack, or flip the speed order?
    Are chromium only characters going to become farmable?
    Will any character customization options ever be implemented?
    Is anything being done to make statistics such as potency and armor more transparent?
  • pay2win
    624 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    If a few characters are outperforming others, will you adjust them or all of the characters performance?

Edit: This would also apply to underperforming characters.
    Post edited by pay2win on
  • Quicksilver
    1175 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Will Plo Koons light saber ever be changed to orange? lol :p;)

...couldn't help myself Jesse haha

also wondering if the star limit of characters will ever be raised to 8*? if so I might want to hang on to those extra shards...I hope it stays at 7* though to me that's plenty
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Will there ever be a reason for non-whale p2w players to purchase chromium?

There should be a means of leveling them outside of chromium once unlocked via chromium; even if it's only through shipments with crystals or a single hard node that only become accessible once the toon is unlocked via chromium.

I'm p2w, but I'm no whale. The current model discourages non-whale p2w players from purchasing chromium. As it is I have a significant advantage over f2p in both the depth of my bench and the speed of my advancement.

The ceiling should be the same for everyone. Even if that ceiling is glass due to the constantly expanding/evolving nature of this game. F2p will never be able to keep up with p2w as is. On the same track, p2w will never be able to keep up with whales. And that's all fine.

The gaming industry has shown that whales will still shell out thousands of dollars for vanity/cosmetic items. They'll also throw money at games to be at the top, cutting edge, of the current meta and new content. With regular releases of new toons, level caps, content, etc there is no need to gate toons to make money.

I WANT to buy chromium. But the current model discourages it. Will this change?
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I would like to extend my gratitude to you for allowing this Q&A.

Here are a few questions:

Are stunned characters supposed to dodge?

Are stunned characters supposed to be called upon for an ally assist?

When barriss misses her basic attack, should my group still be healed?

Will Ventress get some help with how her skills act? I.e. Not getting the buff when she delivers a killing blow, or actually it dropping off when her turn fades.

Ventress continued: her speed is of a low value and it is presumed that speed leader bonuses don't work in arena. Will we see speed changes?

Any chance we can get leader skills that debuff our opponents as opposed to just buffing allies?

Any chance we can see daily/weekly bonuses for double xp/credits while farming for the day?

Any chance there could be node(s) that unlock after a chrome only character is unlocked from a purchase to allow a farm option?

Thank you.
    Post edited by Nebulous on
  • Telaan wrote: »
    Will there ever be a reason for non-whale p2w players to purchase chromium?

There should be a means of leveling them outside of chromium once unlocked via chromium; even if it's only through shipments with crystals or a single hard node that only become accessible once the toon is unlocked via chromium.

I'm p2w, but I'm no whale. The current model discourages non-whale p2w players from purchasing chromium. As it is I have a significant advantage over f2p in both the depth of my bench and the speed of my advancement.

The ceiling should be the same for everyone. Even if that ceiling is glass due to the constantly expanding/evolving nature of this game. F2p will never be able to keep up with p2w as is. On the same track, p2w will never be able to keep up with whales. And that's all fine.

The gaming industry has shown that whales will still shell out thousands of dollars for vanity/cosmetic items. They'll also throw money at games to be at the top, cutting edge, of the current meta and new content. With regular releases of new toons, level caps, content, etc there is no need to gate toons to make money.

I WANT to buy chromium. But the current model discourages it. Will this change?

Second that question
  • Ease
    16 posts Member
    pls a detailed explanation of how speed and leader skills work in arena.
  • reizse wrote: »
    ZVmlp6w.png

Good one, my friend.
  • Cythis
    273 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    1) Do leader abilities affect both you and your opponent since both skills are displayed at the begging of a match? (I see the visual que but it plays as though both teams do at times)

2) Will dodge, evasion along with any other stat increase outside of a characters normal stats ever be displayed?

3) Is gear and ability mats set to the same percent drop rate on all maps?

And follow up

I noticed on some maps under rewards you will see different material orders for the mki, ii and iii ability mats does this indicate a higher drop chance or just a random display?

Last question: Can we get a Yoda teaser?
  • ive asked before but i just wanna make sure it wont be forgotten.

how are stats calculated, armor = X but we have nothing to compare this value too. will they add an armor = x = % damage reduction?

will they add visable damage ranges to abilities? smite blah blah blah 100-200 damage to all enemies
    this will help alot when trying to decide which characters i might want to focus on. instead of trying to work on abilities and synergies soley and then finding out someones damage modifiers are terribly low (biggs)

alot of characters descriptions dont seem to fit, for example old ben states the ability to self revive, aayala says something about dodging, though they both have no passive skill that pertains to these. are these errors from an alpha build? can they be fixed? seems like an easy fix on that one.

speaking of dodge. everyones dodge rating is 0. whats up with that?

some items have HP drain or absorb, cant remember the exact name, im guessing this is for abilities such as aayalas special, but i feel like i have to throw common sense out the door sometimes with this game. can they confirm what this does, if anything?

are buffs multiplicative and passive skills additive?

speaking of buffs, why's the defense up buff always a flat +X amount and offense given as a +% amount
    what does this compose of. is everything pertaining to defense/offense being raised (dodge, resistance, tenacity/ potency, crit, physical damage, special damage) or is it just a flat damage reduction modifier and flat % damage increase.

The shard shop - will this take up one of the the grey'd out areas on the board or will there be a new area added? i ask this because if it takes up a current spot that might mean less future content.

last few questions - is there any sort of loss time table at which we will get game updates, or a schedule at which has been predetermined for new content to be released(ship battles, guild plans etc) ? if so could this be released to the player base. i can understand the need for tight lips on exact dates but giving your player base at least an open ended timeframe will put minds to ease and soothe the community. it seeemd alot of people were really hoping for new content or characters durring the level cap increase and were pretty let down.
    thanks
  • Will ally points ever be given to allies as is stated on the screen?

Target jumping.... Can it be stopped?

Thanks for the forum and an awesome game!
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Cool, a Q&A thread! You developer guys and gals are brave! So here's my question.

What's the math behind dodging? All characters are currently listed as having 0% dodge rate on their stats screen. But for instance Sid and IG-88 (iirc) are described as good natural dodgers. And characters do evade more than 0%.
  • "I've been dusting off my old military texts to come up with new challenges for you."
    -Plo Koon

Any new challenges in the works for next update?
    He has been at it for months after all..

The tanks in their current state, working as intended or rework in progress?

Bug fixes.. Is it possible to fix some on a weekly basis? Focus fire so to speak, instead of spray n pray to hopefully fix them all all at once? Their infestation continues unimpeded thus far (or so it would appear).

Of the available chars to f2p, is there a plan to make them more farmable? There are too many which have 2 or less limiting variety in general.

• reizse
    1447 posts Member
    hi @Rogan_Ban84 i'm surprised it hasn't come up yet, as there haven't been any official response other than that they're aware it's a common topic right now (on reddit)
    mighty chlorians
  • HavokTrigger
    897 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    1.Are there any social features in development like Guilds/Alliances, Raids, or in-game chat?
    2. Are the number of cantina shipments you can obtain daily ever going to be brought in line with Arena or GW?
    3. Will we be able to choose the heroes we loan to our allies?
    4. What do some of the stats mean? How is crit determined with the current system? 340 would equate to what percentage?
    5. Can we get an in depth, in game, description of all the buffs and debuffs?
    6. Why is armor/armor penetration/life steal in the game? They do next to nothing.
    7. Why do skills have a secret damage modifier? Kylo Ren has one of the highest, if not the highest, physical damage in the game but has very weak attacks compared to others with lower stats. The damage modifier should be made available in the tooltip so players can make an informed decision on who to use.
    8. Do you plan on changing how speed works? A hero with 143 speed should not be able to go before someone with 161 speed on the first turn.
    Post edited by HavokTrigger on
This discussion has been closed.