Ackbar lead in arena: pros and cons?

Prev1
Gaidal_Cain
1640 posts Member
edited September 2016
So to make this short and sweet, do you/have you run Ackbar in arena?

If so what do you like or dislike about?

How does he do against droid teams?
Droid teams have always been easy for my old setup until now. B2 is replacing Nebit/RG/IG 100 and it is making them more difficult because my team relies on buffs.

Going AGAINST Ackbar leads has typically been easy for me because I run a Ventress lead and mass dispel all of the buffs including Leia's stealth.

So, the team I run now:

Ventress
Old Daka
QGJ
GS
STHan

Team I am thinking of running:

Ackbar (L)
Leia
STHan
QGJ (until I get Lando up to snuff)
GS

Not really sure how effective it would be in arena but it is fun to run in GW. I still have some gearing to do on AA and need to omega Leia's basic.

So what are your thoughts? Am I wasting my time on this?

EDIT: I realize Ackbar lead team would be at least as reliant on buffs if not more so than my current team. However I am thinking of stacking tenacity on Ackbar and trying to utilize his cleanse for the massive amounts of debuffs from droids as well as EP led teams.

And yes I know, it is almost impossible to stack enough tenacity to neutralize potency modded toons. I figure it's with a shot... or is it???

Replies

• Prob is u need moves that don't attack in order to trigger a random rebel assist. With the new meta an aoe cold wipe out your entire team.
  • TMK
    700 posts Member
    Your idea of running Ackbar lead isn't bad, the only thing I would switch out is ST Han for RG to maximize the damage Leia does.

You want two things from Ackbar; either going first, making sure Leia deals damage in the first turn or make the same order as I did: Leia first, Rey second (when Leia uses Special, it triggers Ackbar and has 55% - omega basic, of getting 45% TM which makes him going second), QGJ third, Ackbar fourth and RG fifth.

It brought me numerous #1 spots like a month ago, this might not be the case anymore due to meta-shift to the AoE. I barely struggled with Droids too.
  • Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    TMK wrote: »
    Your idea of running Ackbar lead isn't bad, the only thing I would switch out is ST Han for RG to maximize the damage Leia does.

You want two things from Ackbar; either going first, making sure Leia deals damage in the first turn or make the same order as I did: Leia first, Rey second (when Leia uses Special, it triggers Ackbar and has 55% - omega basic, of getting 45% TM which makes him going second), QGJ third, Ackbar fourth and RG fifth.

It brought me numerous #1 spots like a month ago, this might not be the case anymore due to meta-shift to the AoE. I barely struggled with Droids too.

Thanks for the feedback!

My main concern for switching out STHan for RG is loss of TM manipulation. It seems with many teams, if their STHan goes first I've lost half the battle already.

(I do love RG's autotaunt and stun though. He's only at gear 9 compared to STHan being close to G11.)

How do you deal with ST Han's taunt? If I don't get lucky in turn order with QGJ and he gets his taunt off, it is an eternity of feeding TM before he goes if he is even still alive.

Also, I'm having trouble following how RG helps maximize Leia's damage. Is it simply that his stuns ensure her attacks don't miss? Or am I missing something?
    American wrote: »
    Prob is u need moves that don't attack in order to trigger a random rebel assist. With the new meta an aoe cold wipe out your entire team.

Indeed. Leia, STHan, and of course Ackbar all have specials that trigger and assist. Isn't that sufficient?
  • TMK
    700 posts Member
    TMK wrote: »

Thanks for the feedback!

My main concern for switching out STHan for RG is loss of TM manipulation. It seems with many teams, if their STHan goes first I've lost half the battle already.

(I do love RG's autotaunt and stun though. He's only at gear 9 compared to STHan being close to G11.)

How do you deal with ST Han's taunt? If I don't get lucky in turn order with QGJ and he gets his taunt off, it is an eternity of feeding TM before he goes if he is even still alive.
    It all depends how fast your Leia really is. Mine is 220 speed without Ackbar, Rey is sitting there at 233. They had 50-50 chance of being outsped by JE, making my toons strike first 50% of the time (approx.). This way you have high chance of killing IG-88 first then taking it step by step.

My RG has 86k HP in total, so he absorbs a LOT.

ST Han may be viable for AoE teams more than dual(triple)-Rebel teams.
  • I use Ackbar too and I like it so far. I use Ackbar (L), STH, Anakin, Leia, and Rey. If you can get STH to go first and taunt, you can use Ackbars special which will trigger hopefully Leia to do damage and then Leia again for her turn. Then when Reys turn comes around you can use both specials on one turn if you don't stealth Leia on her turn. This usually eliminates which ever toon on the opposite side you want without taking a turn. I'm thinking of using Lando in replace of Anakin as well, but putting another Rebel in makes the odds less of Leia going on non-attacking turns with Ackbars leader ability.
  • I use aa in my 1st place arena team.

Aa L,
    Lando,
    ST Han
    Ep
    B2

ST Han goes first, then it is random who goes next, either aa, lando or ep. So either lando or ep go back to back, which does a bunch of damage or control. If aa goes 3rd out of the 3, b2 does basic, ST Han does basic then Lando goes back to back with both aoe's being buffed. On defense if the above turn order happens but ep has low health and goes before lando he will does "let the hate flow" granting offense up and then he will stun again with the immediate next turn.

Sometimes I run the same team as above but take out aa, move lando to lead and add jka.
  • anyone asking if he works with wiggs, no; wigss second attacks do not get triggered with tactical genius, only sthan and lando gain 100% tm on use.
  • I use Ackbar against debuffers like Darth Vader. Doesn't need lead for that. His lead ability is only good with other rebels on squad. I tend to shy away from those specific lead skills
  • djvita wrote: »
    anyone asking if he works with wiggs, no; wigss second attacks do not get triggered with tactical genius, only sthan and lando gain 100% tm on use.

Not sure what you mean by this, Comrade-in-Arms and Red Squadron Strike work with Tactical Genius. I do it all the time. You do not get a second Comrade-in-Arms, if that's what you mean.
  • My team:

AA (L)
    StHan
    Lando
    Biggs
    Wedge

Pros:
    1. The only teams going before me on a regular basis are droids (barring someone having a bunch of speed mods).
    2. Assists triggered by his leadership ability do not trigger counter attacks.
    3. His cleanse is super handy and triggers an attack when used. Thanks for the massive heal, Vader!
    4. Lando double tap
    5. Biggs's assist attack doesn't seem to have a cool down thanks to Tac Genius. (It does, of course, but with him going a second time, it gets reset faster than usual.)

Cons:
    1. AA might as well go up and slap people with his flipper for all the low damage he does.
    2. Health pool isn't that deep
    3. Never seems to have enough tenacity, even with tenacity mods
    4. Use of Tac Genius can get dorked up by time manipulation if not careful

I've been happy with him for months. I just find him fun to play. Using his abilities to deal with tricky teams gives me something to actually think about in this game. I'm not in competition for the top 5 spots on my server, but I've seen the teams who consistently make the top 5, and I'm neither geared nor modded as well as them.
  • RigelHaste wrote: »
    My team:

AA (L)
    StHan
    Lando
    Biggs
    Wedge

Pros:
    1. The only teams going before me on a regular basis are droids (barring someone having a bunch of speed mods).
    2. Assists triggered by his leadership ability do not trigger counter attacks.
    3. His cleanse is super handy and triggers an attack when used. Thanks for the massive heal, Vader!
    4. Lando double tap
    5. Biggs's assist attack doesn't seem to have a cool down thanks to Tac Genius. (It does, of course, but with him going a second time, it gets reset faster than usual.)

Cons:
    1. AA might as well go up and slap people with his flipper for all the low damage he does.
    2. Health pool isn't that deep
    3. Never seems to have enough tenacity, even with tenacity mods
    4. Use of Tac Genius can get dorked up by time manipulation if not careful

I've been happy with him for months. I just find him fun to play. Using his abilities to deal with tricky teams gives me something to actually think about in this game. I'm not in competition for the top 5 spots on my server, but I've seen the teams who consistently make the top 5, and I'm neither geared nor modded as well as them.

I have one short comment on your team (which looks fine and all) - Wedge not being the leader is kind of wasted space. Don't get me wrong, but all the bonuses he gives to all Rebels is just too hard to overlook. You get leader ability of Ackbar triggered 3 times per match (if lucky more) but does that value in the same ranking as 30% offense, 15% heal and 10% TM gain? I am having second thoughts about it.

• I have one short comment on your team (which looks fine and all) - Wedge not being the leader is kind of wasted space. Don't get me wrong, but all the bonuses he gives to all Rebels is just too hard to overlook. You get leader ability of Ackbar triggered 3 times per match (if lucky more) but does that value in the same ranking as 30% offense, 15% heal and 10% TM gain? I am having second thoughts about it.

I've thought the same thing. However my main issue with Wedge as leader is that I drop a great deal of speed. With the teams I'm fighting, I could lose one or two characters before I get to go. Wedge in particular doesn't have much health. If I manage to score a few +30 speed arrow mods, I might promote Wedge to leader.
  • TMK
    700 posts Member
    RigelHaste wrote: »
    I have one short comment on your team (which looks fine and all) - Wedge not being the leader is kind of wasted space. Don't get me wrong, but all the bonuses he gives to all Rebels is just too hard to overlook. You get leader ability of Ackbar triggered 3 times per match (if lucky more) but does that value in the same ranking as 30% offense, 15% heal and 10% TM gain? I am having second thoughts about it.

I've thought the same thing. However my main issue with Wedge as leader is that I drop a great deal of speed. With the teams I'm fighting, I could lose one or two characters before I get to go. Wedge in particular doesn't have much health. If I manage to score a few +30 speed arrow mods, I might promote Wedge to leader.

Makes sense and why I can actually use him as a leader. I don't really lack 20+ speed mods.
  • American wrote: »
    Prob is u need moves that don't attack in order to trigger a random rebel assist. With the new meta an aoe cold wipe out your entire team.

Can you imagine. SThan just eating up leias 5K attacks for TM
  • I currently run
    Akbar(L)
    Lumi
    Qui
    Leia
    Rey

It's a great team. Leia goes first and stealths with an Akbar assist, then akbar uses his tactical Genius and leia assist, then I use Rey's two attacks to take out a toon and possibly put some damage on another. Qui will swoop in and call someone to assist and I can usually take out two toons before someone else gets an attack in.
  • Valadas wrote: »
    I currently run
    Akbar(L)
    Lumi
    Qui
    Leia
    Rey

It's a great team. Leia goes first and stealths with an Akbar assist, then akbar uses his tactical Genius and leia assist, then I use Rey's two attacks to take out a toon and possibly put some damage on another. Qui will swoop in and call someone to assist and I can usually take out two toons before someone else gets an attack in.

I used to run this team, it was too rng dependent. It is why I've dropped leia. More often than not she is hitting for 3k non crits two times.

Many better damage dealers than leia.
  • I uses AA as a leader for speed up my Han to be first and taunt for tm manipulation. Additional it speed up Lando too. AA has to use plus mod with tenacity for be able to help the team after Palpatine AoE. Next team member is Palpatine. The last one is QGJ. He can be replaced with Solo if the opponent uses droid team with Engineer.
    It is safe to have Lando quicker. If you meet oppenent with 2 tanks, it is better to use AA's Tactical Genius for Palpatine AoE and next for shock opponent's Han.
  • Tomek wrote: »
    I uses AA as a leader for speed up my Han to be first and taunt for tm manipulation. Additional it speed up Lando too. AA has to use plus mod with tenacity for be able to help the team after Palpatine AoE. Next team member is Palpatine. The last one is QGJ. He can be replaced with Solo if the opponent uses droid team with Engineer.
    It is safe to have Lando quicker. If you meet oppenent with 2 tanks, it is better to use AA's Tactical Genius for Palpatine AoE and next for shock opponent's Han.

Nice, I never though of using EP with Ackbar. I'd have to move some speed mods around to get EP close to fast enough.

Does let the hate flow trigger Ackbars unique and grant an assist?
  • I LOVE AA, always use him in arena. I've also talked about him a ton on the podcast (Shattered Order Podcast). His Tactical Genius is my favorite ability in the game, I usually have AA at 1 speed faster than Lando, allows Lando to AOE twice in a row. Can also use this with Phasma, GGuard, etc. makes tons of characters effective on defense. AA doesn't necessarily need to be leader to be worthy of being on your arena team!

Speed manipulation with STH and mods turns AA into a great character!
  • Been thinking about this myself also...

Currently:

Palps (L)
    STH
    Leia
    Fives
    Rey

My thoughts is a straight swap with Palps and AA.. not sure if I will miss Palps dmg/stuns too much though
  • Palp is a great addition to a Rebel team. Add speed and offense to him. My 5 star palp does just fine with my 7 star Rebel squad. Kills healing ability with his shock damage. At times, stuns the entire team. Oh and B2 is a good counter to STH. 40% chance to get 100%TM and fire off his debuff attack...
  • irafreak wrote: »
    Palp is a great addition to a Rebel team. Add speed and offense to him. My 5 star palp does just fine with my 7 star Rebel squad. Kills healing ability with his shock damage. At times, stuns the entire team. Oh and B2 is a good counter to STH. 40% chance to get 100%TM and fire off his debuff attack...

So keep in Palps... but I cant bring myself to lose Fives
  • Saraleb wrote: »
    irafreak wrote: »
    Palp is a great addition to a Rebel team. Add speed and offense to him. My 5 star palp does just fine with my 7 star Rebel squad. Kills healing ability with his shock damage. At times, stuns the entire team. Oh and B2 is a good counter to STH. 40% chance to get 100%TM and fire off his debuff attack...

take out leia, too rng dependent unless you modded her for crit chance
  • djvita wrote: »
    Saraleb wrote: »
    irafreak wrote: »

take out leia, too rng dependent unless you modded her for crit chance

I don't know about that. I just got her modded with offense mods and a 5dot crit damage mod and she hits like a truck.

Even a single crit when stealthed does 11k. I'll take that all day long.

There are few people in my shard with B2 or Echo so I don't really have to worry about her losing stealth.

Ackbar, QGJ, STH, RG, and Leia are a fun combo.

I will sub in GS with RG or STH depending on what team I am facing.

Only thing I really have to be careful of is a crazy modded Rey oneshotting Leia before she stealths. I just got her to G10 though so it would take the perfect storm for that to happen now.
  • the main problem with Ackbar is he takes up a slot on your team
  • the main problem with Ackbar is he takes up a slot on your team
    Depends on the shard I guess.

There are lots of EP and Old Ben leads on my shard so his cleanse ability is nice. That being said, his best asset is being able to call extra assists and giving 100% TM with Tactical Genius.

He is a pain to gear though. I only have him at G9 and he often gets killed early on in a fight even if I end up winning.
  • You need AA (L) mainly for the speed. In my server the payout arena order is determined for the fastest STHan or Poe. I run AA (L) Wedge Biggs STHan and Old Ben. I would prefer to use Wedge Lead but that +25 speed is essential to put my sthan on 229 and then go first, wipe out the enemy EP / lando / Ani and put in yellow / red other toon. I usually end top 10 and sometimes in fourth or fifth position. It is impossible for me to win if the othere team goes first and wipe out my wedge. Luckily there are only a few teams faster than mine, and another 3 with the same speed, so flip coin xD

Going back to OP question, AA (L) is great but you need in that team STHan yes or yes, Wiggs or Lando + Leia and another control toon like Old Ben, B2 or RG. That makes a consistent team, and with nice mods a top 20 team easily.
  • I use AA every now and then. The top folks on my shard are Wiggs led or Landikin or Rex leads. I tend to fight Wiggs with Wiggs, Wiggs against Landikin but I grab AA to fight Rex teams because I need to get a lot of AE damage into them before they get going... so the order is usually: STHan taunt, AA Tac genius, 2x Lando AE, Wedge AE then Biggs mega assist.

It's not rocket surgery.
  • WinKILLERinc
    147 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    For about 2 weeks now I've been using an AA lead with Rey, Lando, STH and Old Ben. The extra speed and tenacity from AA is awesome! Especially with a fast STH like I use. Only issue is when AA gets called in on an assist and screws up my turn order. Today is the first day I've taken him out of my arena. But he is great, no doubt! Tactical Genius is amazing when used properly as well.

Also, he does need tenacity, it makes a huge difference, no question about it. Plus, since he's your cleanser, you don't want him ability blocked.
  • I use AA every now and then. The top folks on my shard are Wiggs led or Landikin or Rex leads. I tend to fight Wiggs with Wiggs, Wiggs against Landikin but I grab AA to fight Rex teams because I need to get a lot of AE damage into them before they get going... so the order is usually: STHan taunt, AA Tac genius, 2x Lando AE, Wedge AE then Biggs mega assist.

Why don't you have Wedge and Biggs going before STH?