Game Update - 9/28/2016 Comments and Questions- ***MEGATHREAD***

Replies

• vector6000
    236 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Very nice update. Exciting! Still not exactly sure how these tournaments will work, but the crystal refreshes seem extremely worrying. On paper it sounds like it totally breaks the point of tournaments and balance, with people with lots of expendable crystals (paying customers) being seriously advantaged.

I am absolutely fine with paying to get cool characters, and so on. But the line is drawn when paying customers have an unfair advantage and the game is not anymore about skill but money.
    Hopefully I am wrong in how I interpret this thing though!
  • vector6000 wrote: »
    Very nice update. Exciting! Still not exactly sure how these tournaments will work, but the crystal refreshes seem extremely worrying. On paper it sounds like it totally breaks the point of tournaments and balance, with people with lots of expendable crystals (paying customers) being seriously advantaged.

I am absolutely fine with paying to get cool characters, and so on. But the line is drawn when paying customers have an unfair advantage and the game is not anymore about skill but money.

Why should a paying customer NOT have an advantage? They aren't producing this game pro bono. If there was no advantage to spending $, then no one would and the game would get shut down by EA.
  • Zeuschild35
    124 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    BrtStlnd wrote: »
    vector6000 wrote: »

Why should a paying customer NOT have an advantage? They aren't producing this game pro bono. If there was no advantage to spending $, then no one would and the game would get shut down by EA.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. We want something for our money, don't we?
  • Navigating to unit details from a squad edit screen will now retain the current squad configuration when returning via back button.

Yes!!

Everything else looks fantastic too, excellent work.

• question
    is it able to join multiple tournament tier?...by single player
    is it able to join low level tier with maxed toon?(in tournament their stat auto delevel with current tier)
    is mod stat added into play?

Another good question... would be fun to enter my level 40 toons into a level 40 tournament....

It's clearly based an player level not character
  • Cantón log un, says dont hace enough memory, i have5.6gb free to use
  • I like the idea of grouping players together in order to ensure the tournaments are competitive. However, are the rewards going to similarly scale?

I could imagine a frustrating situation where I get placed in the top-tier tournament because I've invested a ton in my top 5 toons (despite being FTP) and get wrecked by P2P players with a much more robust roster. So I wouldn't place well in this tournament, but I feasibly could have a much better roster than almost everyone in the tournament a tier down. It would then be very frustrating and potentially unfair if I got worse rewards by being placed in this top tier tournament than I would if I were in the tournament a ring down.

I mention this not only out of curiosity, but to bring to the attention of the Devs and community the potential for unfairness here, as well as potential exploits of the system (you could conceivably keep your top 5 toons at moderate power, level up everyone else to that power level, and then destroy in a non top-tier tournament).

To avoid this, wouldn't it make sense to group the tournaments based on the strength of your ENTIRE roster and not the top 5 toons? Curious to see what Devs/others think!
    Officer in BDB, a "casual but competitive" guild that has Rancor and HAAT on farm, gets 37* in LS TB, and kicks butt in TW. PM if interested in joining!
  • Well I'm an ****, because I now realize I missed the note that "The rewards scale based on the players level grouping".

I would hope this is looked at VERY carefully though to ensure potential exploits still aren't available.
    Officer in BDB, a "casual but competitive" guild that has Rancor and HAAT on farm, gets 37* in LS TB, and kicks butt in TW. PM if interested in joining!
  • Yea i hope it's not different like that for rewards.

I just think this is going to be tough if you are not using refreshes.

To me it seems like we will need a minimum of 20 characters.

5 for first attack.
    Different 5 for second attack.
    Different 5 for third attack.
    Different 5 for Defense.

I just realized how different my team is after my first 10 roughly.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    i would call keeping your squad power low strategy, not an exploit.
    Let's just wait and see how tournaments are implemented before we start making threads about the potential unfairness, it's not like they are going to read topics like this and do a complete overhaul just before the final patch is pushed out (today).
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • I don't see Geonosian Spy in the list of possible rewards for Cantina (Holotable) battle 4-D

Also, where are these tournaments the notes speak of? I don't see anything new.
  • So is anyone not going to say something about all the cool new colors.. because I for one appreciate that. :|

Hey, what new colours? :smile:
    I do keep getting a notification that I can't get rid of. I don't know what that is about. I keep logging in but the notification hasn't gone.
    I hope my phone isn't on the blink :neutral:
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    @CG_Kozispoon @CG_Conduit23
    At what time do you estimate the client restart to happen?
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • I just realized, where is this Tournament HoloTable going to be displayed? Or do we have to fly there from the new Ships HoloTable?

Either way i'm super excited to try it all out!
  • BrtStlnd wrote: »
    vector6000 wrote: »

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. We want something for our money, don't we?

Oh please. Spare me the "poor whales" routine.

I've played this game since November. P2P have never had a bigger advantage over f2p/dolphins/guppies than they do right now. Rex, Sun Fac, super-speed mods, the ability to (very inexpensively) refresh the mod shop, and now the ability to refresh the shard shop too... the list goes on and on. And every advantage is compounded over time. Better mods means p2p can stay on top of arena - giving them more crystals to refresh and buy better mods. It is, more than at any point in the 10+ month history of the game, a case of the "rich get richer" - already.

Any addition that makes that even more the case is a major concern - both for f2p and p2p. When the f2p begin to feel that there is absolutely no way to even come close to catching up, they don't become guppies - many will simply walk away on to other games. Whales don't pay to fight whales - they pay to dominate f2p. F2P players need whales - but whales won't keep playing for long if all the f2p leave.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • It will probably be based off of your historical max arena power anyway, to prevent sandbagging.
  • Dhoey321 wrote: »
    I just realized, where is this Tournament HoloTable going to be displayed? Or do we have to fly there from the new Ships HoloTable?

I thought the Tournament counted as an "Event" and could be found in the Events table...not sure where I got that idea from, but I was wondering the very same thing - if not Events then where, as the cantina is getting a little crowded ;-)

• The crying is free but why not wait the tournament start for this ;)
  • there's lots of space to the left of guilds
  • KyleKatarn wrote: »
    Dhoey321 wrote: »
    I just realized, where is this Tournament HoloTable going to be displayed? Or do we have to fly there from the new Ships HoloTable?

I thought the Tournament counted as an "Event" and could be found in the Events table...not sure where I got that idea from, but I was wondering the very same thing - if not Events then where, as the cantina is getting a little crowded ;-)

haha exactly! It could be an event but then wouldn't the event run all the time? Is this a daily tournament? Weekly tournament? I have no clue
  • KyleKatarn wrote: »

In the far left is still a little place with a greyed icon.
  • Dhoey321 wrote: »
    KyleKatarn wrote: »

haha exactly! It could be an event but then wouldn't the event run all the time? Is this a daily tournament? Weekly tournament? I have no clue

They use the phrase "Tournament Event" so I agree probably accessed through Events table:
    A short in-game tutorial will explain the new Tournament Event.

Though, I was hoping it would be always active and just run a few days at a time like similar games. Might get annoying having the tournament icon up all the time.
  • Why characterize it as "crying", the OP is noting a potential issue before it is impacting things.

What's worse, asking that they go over the math/rewards to triple check things, or a hundred "omg teh rewardz suuuuuck" threads once it goes live.

I agree that they're not likely to make drastic changes potentially mere hours before things kick off, but asking about a potential pitfall strikes me as thinking ahead. Isn't that something we should all be doing?

We are talking about a dev team that faceplanted a couple of times to date for not thinking through the ramifications of certain mechanics, after all.
  • scottdude8 wrote: »
    Well I'm an ****, because I now realize I missed the note that "The rewards scale based on the players level grouping".

I would hope this is looked at VERY carefully though to ensure potential exploits still aren't available.

I am not sure that does mean that different Group of 80+ get different scaled rewards.
    I expect that to mean that 80+ gets better rewards than 70-79.
  • Until the refresh costs and rewards are introduced, we won't know how much people will be willing to spend. You also need to think about the amount of people in each tournament. Are they server wide like arena, cross-server? I fully expect there to be a gap, I'm just hoping the rewards are worth.

Also, people refresh arena and f2p still claim high ranks. I've never claimed 1st, but I'm top 10, and I have never once refreshed. I'm stingy.

Look for a push at payout though, that will be no different.
  • It's - obviously - too early to tell, but considering the balancing they have done in GW its safe to assume that this is not gonna be pretty.
    The mods are undervaluated in their influence to the character's power.
    Matching a lvl80 40k+ team without mods (or bad mods at that) vs a well modded team (health mods vs people with crit dmg/crit chance/potency... not to speak of speed secondaries etc...) its going to be a bloodbath...
    Add to the fact that younger whales (used to dominating their shard) will probably be pitched against older/bigger whales and this as the possibility of demanding the greatest truckload of popcorns this forum as ever seen.
    Grab a sit and get the popcorns before they run out.
  • It will be interesting to see how it all works out but if the defense teams remain the same, I'm not sure how all your B to E teams are going to be able to go up against everyone's A defense teams.
  • Yeah I think mods is going to be a big differential among players in this PvP tournament.

Two teams may have similar power but if one team is modded better to suit his toons' skills then it will make a big difference and getting quality mods means you either got them early when the drop rate was 100% OR you spent a lot of money either playing the mod challenge lottos or refreshing the mod shop and buying high level mods.

Seeing all the speedy teams in the Top 25 of my Arena server, I've decided to shift to mod farming to try to get the upgrade in mods I need, but as we all know drop rate of quality mods is so rare. :(
  • Ztyle wrote: »
    At what time do you estimate the client restart to happen?

Okay, I'm done with GW for the day. Any time now would be great!
This discussion has been closed.