How to Fix PVP

2Next

Replies

• Options
    You do not need to submit a report. Devs can smell the cabbage from california.
  • Options
    LastJedi wrote: »

If he keeps spamming then I will have to. I got banned for expressing my freedom of speech but he's going against forum guidelines which is worse than what I ever did or said.
  • darkensoul
    1309 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    LastJedi wrote: »

Rofl

Edit: That made me lol, LJ, thank you.
  • Rumpelstilzchen
    1754 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Change it to competitive knitting. Then instead of play and complain, they could stitch and b.... lol
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    Options
    To be constructive, a viable solution would be an FFXII style gambit system. It would take work to implement, but wouldn't require any change in how the game functions. It would need a gambits UI and a good bit of dev time... Still, a ton of work and highly unlikely that we will ever see it, but its viable within the current game parameters.

If you are unfamiliar with the gambit system, its basically a series of ordered priority if/then statments. For example:

1. Foe: highest speed use Skill: Force Blast
    2. Ally: character < 50% HP use Skill: Master Healer's Blessing
    3. ect.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Gambits
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    An improved AI skill/targeting set-up would b great. True pvp would b annoying.

I'm in the middle of a raid or reconfiguring mods or auto'ing thru GW and i have to fight some bonehed in arena ? I'll pass.

I would b all for dueling amongst guild members tho, even if it wasn't true pvp. No rewards, just bragging rights and practice.
  • Options
    medetec wrote: »
    To be constructive, a viable solution would be an FFXII style gambit system. It would take work to implement, but wouldn't require any change in how the game functions. It would need a gambits UI and a good bit of dev time... Still, a ton of work and highly unlikely that we will ever see it, but its viable within the current game parameters.

If you are unfamiliar with the gambit system, its basically a series of ordered priority if/then statments. For example:

1. Foe: highest speed use Skill: Force Blast
    2. Ally: character < 50% HP use Skill: Master Healer's Blessing
    3. ect.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Gambits

I could settle with that. A target system should be I place. Even a primitive one. If there is healer, target healer, if there is a tank use stun attacks, if there is a DPS toon then target after healer. I still say that an actual PVP would be ideal considering EA have done it very well in all of their other games. It's high time this game gets some developer love.
  • Options
    I really don't see how r
    It's actually pretty simple. They need to actually have PVP. Right now it's a hope that RNG controls your team the best way you would actually play your squad. With actual PVP you would play another player in real time. This would be extremely easy in a game like this because it's all turn based. Barely any lag and would still work the exact same as it does now, you pick an ability to use when it's your turn and then the next toon goes.

With actual PVP the question arises that how would you ever lose your rank if you never log on? Simple, if you lose a fight you lose rank, and your squad also shows up in GW which is controlled by RNG and he computer. This would keep you invested and give a reason to keep logging in. The arena would give a points system like the tourney but more like the rank of the arena. You would lose "points" if somebody beats your squad in GW. Fighting in the arena would result in two outcomes. You win and you get "points" and further your rank, or you lose and nothing happens except you can't fight again like it is now for a couple of minutes.

Going back to GW, you would only ever fight players from YOUR shard. They would start off easy with players well below your rank for the first 3 nodes, then 3 players below your rank, then 3 players of similar rank or lower, then the last 3 would be players of the same rank or slightly higher. GW would retain the same difficulty and incorporate the arena and create a better flow for the game in total.

I don't really follow how you would manage the real time pvp for a mobile game played on the fly. Everyone around me (myself included) pull out their phones when they have a free moment, or waiting for a train, waiting for the walk sign, etc. You AND your opponent would both need to be available and present at the same time (I don't think shards are segregated by time zones mind you) and remain present until the battle is over. I feel like nothing would ever get done lol. You'd be ready to battle, but your opponent is driving somewhere. He is ready but you are asleep, etc.

The alternative being you selecting a move and then putting your phone away until your opponent gets some time to choose his move - rinse/repeat. This would result in a single battle potentially dragging on all day. Every aspect of the game is set up to be easily played, on your schedule, at your leisure, independent of anyone else for maximum ease of use. Changing that for a mobile game isn't smart.

As for the galactic war bit - Let's not forget that you lose your protection and HP as you go. I personally have a single arena team that is capable of competing in the top 10 everyday. My B, C, and D teams, while fun, cannot beat the top 10 meta. Your idea would pit my roster against 3 similarly top tier teams give or take some spots ( favoring slightly lower). Followed by 3 more top tier teams (favoring higher teams). After my arena team loses its protection to the first "similar, maybe slightly lower" team, how in the world do they beat 5 more top 10 opponents while being at a significant HP/Prot disadvantage? I mean, I can't use my same team 6 times in a row or share characters, so I would need a Wiggs team, a palp team, a Rex team, a droid team, and 2 more teams, fully geared and leveled - with zero character sharing in order to clear it. No thanks.

At the end of the day, the fact that the AI represents you in pvp allows for constant rank movement. All teams can currently be beaten on defense as human control is expected to be better than AI control. As a result, multiple people can claim payouts throughout the day and profit and no one team can sit in one spot forever. I understand the urge to want to compete real time and legitimately strategize against another player however the current game modes aren't it - and I'd argue a mobile game like this isn't the ideal place for it anyways.
  • Options
    Mewingloki wrote: »
    I really don't see how r
    It's actually pretty simple. They need to actually have PVP. Right now it's a hope that RNG controls your team the best way you would actually play your squad. With actual PVP you would play another player in real time. This would be extremely easy in a game like this because it's all turn based. Barely any lag and would still work the exact same as it does now, you pick an ability to use when it's your turn and then the next toon goes.

With actual PVP the question arises that how would you ever lose your rank if you never log on? Simple, if you lose a fight you lose rank, and your squad also shows up in GW which is controlled by RNG and he computer. This would keep you invested and give a reason to keep logging in. The arena would give a points system like the tourney but more like the rank of the arena. You would lose "points" if somebody beats your squad in GW. Fighting in the arena would result in two outcomes. You win and you get "points" and further your rank, or you lose and nothing happens except you can't fight again like it is now for a couple of minutes.

Going back to GW, you would only ever fight players from YOUR shard. They would start off easy with players well below your rank for the first 3 nodes, then 3 players below your rank, then 3 players of similar rank or lower, then the last 3 would be players of the same rank or slightly higher. GW would retain the same difficulty and incorporate the arena and create a better flow for the game in total.

I don't really follow how you would manage the real time pvp for a mobile game played on the fly. Everyone around me (myself included) pull out their phones when they have a free moment, or waiting for a train, waiting for the walk sign, etc. You AND your opponent would both need to be available and present at the same time (I don't think shards are segregated by time zones mind you) and remain present until the battle is over. I feel like nothing would ever get done lol. You'd be ready to battle, but your opponent is driving somewhere. He is ready but you are asleep, etc.

The alternative being you selecting a move and then putting your phone away until your opponent gets some time to choose his move - rinse/repeat. This would result in a single battle potentially dragging on all day. Every aspect of the game is set up to be easily played, on your schedule, at your leisure, independent of anyone else for maximum ease of use. Changing that for a mobile game isn't smart.

As for the galactic war bit - Let's not forget that you lose your protection and HP as you go. I personally have a single arena team that is capable of competing in the top 10 everyday. My B, C, and D teams, while fun, cannot beat the top 10 meta. Your idea would pit my roster against 3 similarly top tier teams give or take some spots ( favoring slightly lower). Followed by 3 more top tier teams (favoring higher teams). After my arena team loses its protection to the first "similar, maybe slightly lower" team, how in the world do they beat 5 more top 10 opponents while being at a significant HP/Prot disadvantage? I mean, I can't use my same team 6 times in a row or share characters, so I would need a Wiggs team, a palp team, a Rex team, a droid team, and 2 more teams, fully geared and leveled - with zero character sharing in order to clear it. No thanks.

At the end of the day, the fact that the AI represents you in pvp allows for constant rank movement. All teams can currently be beaten on defense as human control is expected to be better than AI control. As a result, multiple people can claim payouts throughout the day and profit and no one team can sit in one spot forever. I understand the urge to want to compete real time and legitimately strategize against another player however the current game modes aren't it - and I'd argue a mobile game like this isn't the ideal place for it anyways.

Take a look at the other mobile EA games. FIFA primarily has the best example of what you don't understand. Games last on average 10 minutes straight. These matches have a max length of 5 minutes. If one person disconnects they lose, it's called a rage quit. Like I stated if you lose in PVP you don't lose anything and the other person gets rank up like they would if they won the fight. Also arena fights wouldn't be shard exclusive, the rewards would be but that's where GW comes in where you only fight shard mates. Arena would include EVERYBODY. So out of the millions of players playing this game, there has to be at least 1 person playing in the arena at the same time as you are.
  • Options
    Ugg no thanks. Current arena system, while not the best, works fine and allows for a lot of movement at the top end.

Live PvP could be fun as an additional feature but is really reliant on people being in game to get the best out of it. From my perspective this is not a great direction for a mobile game to take.

GW could use a tune up because it's still too easy for me with the cake nodes 11 and 12.
    | ANZGC | Exile |