Should I star up Obi Wan

Prev1
Greg1920
1777 posts Member
Is there any reason to star up Obiwan? I was thinking of just getting him levelled to get skills then leaving him with no gear to have him as weak as possible. The goal being for him to die as soon as possible.

The trade off would be not getting mind tricks off but the buff from him dying would be good.

Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• Leave him at minimum shards (weak Ben), is a strategy, and his mind trick should stick just as well (assuming full gears), but I doubt it will be as good as a 7-star Ben (Big Ben), who doesn't hit all that hard, but is good with a Leia or other cloaker, and some other tanks that hurt to attack (fives, Aayla, etc).
  • Jedi_Yoda
    928 posts Member
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    Is there any reason to star up Obiwan? I was thinking of just getting him levelled to get skills then leaving him with no gear to have him as weak as possible. The goal being for him to die as soon as possible.

The trade off would be not getting mind tricks off but the buff from him dying would be good.

Any thoughts on this?

Terrible idea, his buffs bolster your team but not enough to sustain without his presence.. lousy idea.. it will NOT work.. but go ahead and try you will see, its not going to help you.. the idea is he should NOT die and you are overlooking the fact that his leader ability 25% evasion is HUGE, I know I have Obi Wan.. he rocks, I am at 42 in Arena because of him.

• Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    His leader ability works if he's dead or alive. The only question would be how far to level him to get his abilities close to max but not too high.

• How is he going to die exactly? The A.I never targets him and human players know better...
    even if by some miracle you were facing an area damage team, he still takes a while to kill.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    How is he going to die exactly? The A.I never targets him and human players know better...
    even if by some miracle you were facing an area damage team, he still takes a while to kill.

He only has about 6k health. And I think the AI targets lower starred toons first. It will go into GW tomorrow for testing.
  • Let us know how it goes then...I thought the A.I was programmed to ignore Ben full stop, but if they single him out and take him down that's great.

I think the risk is that he may not be able to use Mind Tricks early enough if that truly happened. Especially if they have Rey.
  • I use a 7* OB1 as my leader in arena everyday and I can routinely get 1st because of him. His evasion is huge, and let's not forget that his mind tricks can remove something like 70% of opponents turn meter. Also, his health is huge at 7* g10...which is great when enemy Rey attacks. He's also one of the few support toons that has a chance 1 on 1 vs Fives (due to evasion and high HP). I absolutely say star him up to 7. Just my thoughts though!
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    You definitely want to level Old Ben. Odds are even if you leave him the AI won't kill him and nobody will certainly kill him on defense. Starring and gearing him will improve his damage a little, but more importantly he needs more potency so his Mind Tricks actually do something. Mind Tricks isn't guaranteed. I've come across Old Ben in GW and his Mind Tricks did nothing to me because he was not well geared.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Yeah I might have to gear him to get potency and level him to get the abilities at which point starring might make sense too.
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    Yeah I might have to gear him to get potency and level him to get the abilities at which point starring might make sense too.

Honestly, his basic with evasion and passive death ability make no sense whatsoever. Use him for his lead and Mind-Tricks and call it a day. Get offense up on him and he'll hit in the 2k's and crit over 3k for you. Not grat, but not bad and good for removing foresight or just suiciding into 5's and Dooku.
  • Lcb12321
    188 posts Member
    Ben is awesome...of course level him

His dieng special is not what makes him good, but the threat of it is... But it's still better when he's hard to kill By evading etc.. Even though his damage output is negligle Etc.. With the right team it doesn't matter

Besides mind tricks having to deal with high health and dodge can be troublesome when used with the right team

I think he makes perfect sense...but only as a leader Imo
  • Lcb12321
    188 posts Member
    Ben is awesome...of course level him

His dieng special is not what makes him good, but the threat of it is... But it's still better when he's hard to kill By evading etc.. Even though his damage output is negligle Etc.. With the right team it doesn't matter

Besides mind tricks having to deal with high health and dodge can be troublesome when used with the right team

I think he makes perfect sense...but only as a leader Imo
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    With leia, no.

With counter attacker like 5555 and or dooku who you usually leave for last, i think a 4 star ben might work fine.

In this situation i often think "thanks Ben for having so much health." I can keep him stunned or blocked throughout the match when it matters. And he is still there to help me beat 5555 by being a punching bag that doesnt return damage and has a long cooldown.

He is a slow farm. So i dont see a rush unless you use leia. Any other weak dps attacker, he is not going to help much by having more health, right?

Otoh, i dont see any 6 star ben in arena, let alone 4 star, so maybe it just doesnt work.
  • Lcb12321
    188 posts Member
    That's not true ^

There are tons of people that used Ben fully stared...his high health is an important asset to him
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Yes that is what i said. I think. I see only 7 star bens.

I am close to unlocking ben and will gear him up but leave stars for later after i try a low star ben myself. I dont think some people realize how high health can be the opposite of an asset for ben in certain matchups. 9r how much of speed and potency comes from gear. (Or how much protection he will still have at gear 9 or 10)

Each time you stun him or block him he loses health. If youbcant stun or block him without killing him, and he still has some heavy hitter allies, well theres a dilemna. Either you will be debuffed or they will get buffed. And you cant stop it.

When i lose to ben teams, i dont recall bens health being a factor more than maybe once, if ever. Otoh, his deathbuffs are not necessarily a huge factor either, except if it was already close. I have intentionally killed him before last just to see.
  • Lcb12321
    188 posts Member
    Oh sorry I misread it...
  • I quit using Phasma lead because of Ben. His lead ability helps me breeze throug GW every day. I am 10 shards away from 7*, and I cannot wait. He's my favorite toon beside Savage. I think I pulled Ben from my only $20 Chromium.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    So low level/gear Ben does not work. His potency is not high enough at 10% to compete.

So at a minimum you need to level and gear him. So that is my next project. I'll keep this updated on how 4 star well geared Ben is.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I would suggest you gear him and do his leader and mind tricks up to 7. Star him next.

And forget his death buff unique completely. If i could redo, i wouldnt waste a single purple on strike me down.

I tried the low health ben, but even AI doesnt kill him hardly. And max strike me down is not good unless you could get it early. And even then, only if the other team is also one man down, too, maybe.

Ben will simply not die before at least two other toons are dead, even if you impale him against counterattackers. By then his death buff is next to useless.

Even with 4 stars only and running him in GW multiple battles it is unusual for my ben to die early in a match. It is also almost always the same or worse outcome vs having ben stay alive. In fact i never won a match where ben died.
  • Their are 8 Ben leads in the Top 20 of my shard. He is great as lead.
  • I use a 6* Ben lead on a team full of 7* toons, and the AI never really targets him. So the "AI targets low stars" isn't true.
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    I had my Old Ben killed today. I had some bad RNG and it came down to Old Ben and my perma-stealth Leia, the only time I've ever seen Ben get killed in Arena.
  • This didn't work back in May when this thread was created but it sure is a viable strategy now. It's a great counter for the current speed AOE. If you do it right, Old Ben can have about 9K in health + protection, which puts the meta teams in a bind. They essentially have 2 choices, 1) go about their AOE destruction business as usual killing Ben in one or two AOEs. This gives just about every buff in the game to the remaining team members OR 2) leave him by abandoning the AOEs, which takes away the primary advantage of the speed AOE teams and then they suffer his mind tricks which ability blocks, defense down and TM loss. The primary downside is obviously the non-AOE teams that are mentioned in this thread that easily shoot around him. However, with no end to the current meta in sight, we'll see even more Lando/Wiggs/Anakin/Palpatine teams, which are 5 of the top 6 most popular arena characters atm.
  • aerendhil
    503 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    If you plan to use a S u i c i d e Ben : lvl 72 , Gear X (to equip a "Mk 7 Nubian Security Scanner"), 4 stars, full Potency mods (and speed)

But B2 laughs at this strategy
    I choose the Red Pill.
  • I've left mine at gear 4 for maximum exposure. If you gear him up like that, he'll gain protection and health, which will almost guarantee his survival of 2-3 AOEs with his evades and naturally high armor. If he's livin' that long, the fight is already over. If you go this route, you have to go all in and make him brittle as possible. I use all MK I potency mods with the least amount of health and protection buffs possible.
  • I ran into one of these squads and killed it. It may work in some matches but by in-large its a gimmick and not that great, at least not for top-10 arena. The best bet is to gear him up.
  • It all depends on the supporting cast. It keeps me in the top 20 without any of the current meta characters. Sometimes it's better to fight fire with water instead of more fire.
  • The problem is Sun Fac....removing all your wonderful strategy with a basic or counter.
  • I use him as a leader against the Lando wedge led teams and it works great. In my shard lando and wedge are the top leaders and he works great at low health. All the aoe damage kills him and his buff feeds my team. Plus any evasion from the aoe attacks feed my turn meter speeding everyone up. Leave him at low health. His only problem is the palp led teams, droids, Rex and B2.
  • Harlick187 wrote: »
    His only problem is the palp led teams, droids, Rex and B2.

In other words 75% of the meta? LOL! I guess it can work if your competition sucks. A couple people tried it on my server a few weeks ago and it was horrible. Perhaps it's because we have a fair amount of B2 and SunFac floating around plus Rex and EP squads. Here's the thing, when it works it works well but when it doesn't it's bad. You should never bet all your $$$ on a one-trick-pony and that's all this is.