How is Galactic War difficulty determined?

Prev1
DatBoi
3615 posts Member
I've always been curious as to what determines the difficulty of the Galactic War. I've heard lots of theories (strength of arena squad, collection score, arena rank, etc) but most of it sounds like speculation. Does anybody actually know for sure what it is?

Replies

• No one knows...just wild guesses.
  • The devs know but they have not said. Others of us have tracked power levels of our teams versus the power levels of the teams we face in GW. If you do that it is very clear that the power level of the team you face in any given node is based upon the combined power of your five highest power characters. Every time I post this someone comes back and says they disagree but they only have their feelings to back it up. I've been tracking daily for the last four months.

I'm trying to figure out if some pattern exists between the specific characters that you face and I have been tracking that as well. It feels like in any given reset that the characters carry over or are reused in some way between the nodes. For example, I'll go a month without seeing Magmatrooper and then one day I'll see him in two nodes. Or I'll see QGJ in 7 nodes one day and not see him for a week.
  • Atlas1
    1713 posts Member
    From MY experience, it is a combination of two things: arena roster power(or top 5 toons) and frequency of beating GW. I've noticed if I save my resets and play two GWs in a day vs one every day, it is somewhat less difficult. I've also noticed if I fail to beat it 3 or 4 times in a row, I get an easier run the next time around. Could just be RNG though.

When I do beef up my Anakin or Fives or any other of my top toons, I start to see harder teams. When I have a good win streak going (ex: 4 straight completions), it gets harder and harder, especially on nodes 3,6,9,11,12. The most noticeable jumps in difficulty come on nodes 6 and 9 though.

The consensus is that top 5 strongest toons' power affects what you see in GW, but I believe there are other factors.
  • All of what you are posting are theories not facts.
    Anyways what no one has made a point on is...are the enemy teams from real players or some computer generated teams.
  • They are from real players. I have recognized a few names.
  • One fact is the player names are real but the teams are computer generated. Someone in my guild popped up in my GW with a 7* shoretrooper. He did not have shoretrooper in his roster.
  • They are real players names, and I think it does pull from their rosters, but I don't believe it pulls them exactly how the Player has them.

I think the game LvL/Stars/Mods them in relation to your top characters and what node in GW your currently on.

Again just guessing but after seeing different versions of GW since Feb it seems somewhat correct ..

O
  • I heard it was the strength of your last arena opponent you defeated. Look at your strength before entering the arena then compare it to what the manage guild tab has you listed as
  • I heard it was the strength of your last arena opponent you defeated. Look at your strength before entering the arena then compare it to what the manage guild tab has you listed as

Not long ago, there was a reference to a dev or EA guy who confirmed this on reddit.

Donno if it s still true, but it s gonna be something in that direction.

Top 5 toons will correlate too, cause they are most likely around same power.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    @EventineElessedil has a (what i think is a pretty accurate) graph about it. i'm sure you could find it on this forum or he will post it himself since i tagged him.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Trouserdeagle
    267 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    @CG_NotReallyAJedi Posted on Reddit that GW difficulty is based on the highest power level of your squad after an arena victory.

He did, incorrectly, assume that it was based solely on your highest arena power, but after speaking to a programmer confirmed that it was as above.

Once your "benchmark" is set, it can't be reduced, only increased.
  • Top five of your roster VS top five of others. As you approach the global top you start getting easy node 12, and, eventually, 11. I have never heard of easy 10. And those easy ones are machine-generated accounts (at least some of them).
  • Sophos
    97 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Guys the following has been confirmed and discussed on this forum a while ago: It is based according to your top 5 characters OVERALL power level--not arena team power. This cannot be manipulated, meaning once you have your top 5 modded strong and their power is at X level, by removing the mods it will not make gw easier.

After modding my characters for the AAT raid my top 5 changed a lot character wise and power wise and I'm now paying for it in GW. Don't believe me? Try it and you'll regret it lol. Pro tip: If you're having problems in GW DO NOT increase power of your top 5 characters overall...
  • Your opponents are fictitious squads based on your top 5 overall.

Pro Tip: If your top 5 is your arena squad, go ball to the wall gearing them up. Chances are the rewards in PvP are better then what you'd miss out on, in the one or two nodes of GW you can't finish.
  • leef wrote: »
    @EventineElessedil has a (what i think is a pretty accurate) graph about it. i'm sure you could find it on this forum or he will post it himself since i tagged him.

I am generally staying out of these debates anymore. Empirical evidence apparently means nothing to the masses. I freely admit there may be (and probably are) more factors at play than just Top5 power, but if any ambitious players have the patience to actually scientifically track the power levels over an extended period, I will guarantee they get a curve that looks a helluva lot like this:KF8YHRJ.png
    What this chart says is that I tracked the power of each node for 32 different GW tables. As a percentage of Top5 power, each node will be powered according to the red circles, or close to it. The blue dots show the power levels for the table I cleared on 09/09. They should be inside the red circles, and they are in fact very close. More details:
    • Dark blue numbers under red circles show power levels recorded for that node. All are less than 32 because sometimes I neglected to record the value. N12 only has 10 levels recorded mostly because easy nodes were ignored.
    • Red numbers show node power expected, the average of the recorded values
    • Yellow numbers show standard deviation (the uncertainty -- expect your node to be within the range specified by the red number +/- the yellow number)
    • Light blue numbers are the node power recorded on that day. 09/09 in this case.

Sure, you can argue that it's based on Arena power. You can argue anything, but without data, it's anecdotal. I also tracked Arena power. Here's what I find for the 09/09 run: wF5101T.png
    The little blue circles don't fit the curve as well. The standard deviations are larger. This means that Top5 is a better indicator of GW scaling than Arena power.

You won't look, but the details can all be found within: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/66883/galactic-war-power-by-node-where-are-we-now

In a nutshell, for several weeks I kept my Arena power constant. I kept my Top5 constant. I farmed lower power heroes and just expanded my roster. GW node power was constant. Then I upgraded one of my highest power heroes who was not on my Arena team (Savage Opress) and GW node power changed immediately. No change to Arena. Pretty obvious dependence.

Funny thing ... I still don't have good droids. But I do have 7* HK and 6* 88 now.

I am generally staying out of these debates anymore. Empirical evidence apparently means nothing to the masses. I freely admit there may be (and probably are) more factors at play than just Top5 power, but if any ambitious players have the patience to actually scientifically track the power levels over an extended period, I will guarantee they get a curve that looks a helluva lot like this:KF8YHRJ.png
    What this chart says is that I tracked the power of each node for 32 different GW tables. As a percentage of Top5 power, each node will be powered according to the red circles, or close to it. The blue dots show the power levels for the table I cleared on 09/09. They should be inside the red circles, and they are in fact very close. More details:
    • Dark blue numbers under red circles show power levels recorded for that node. All are less than 32 because sometimes I neglected to record the value. N12 only has 10 levels recorded mostly because easy nodes were ignored.
    • Yellow numbers show standard deviation (the uncertainty -- expect your node to be within the range specified by the red number +/- the yellow number)
    • Light blue numbers are the node power recorded on that day. 09/09 in this case.

Sure, you can argue that it's based on Arena power. You can argue anything, but without data, it's anecdotal. I also tracked Arena power. Here's what I find for the 09/09 run: wF5101T.png
    The little blue circles don't fit the curve as well. The standard deviations are larger. This means that Top5 is a better indicator of GW scaling than Arena power.

You won't look, but the details can all be found within: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/66883/galactic-war-power-by-node-where-are-we-now

In a nutshell, for several weeks I kept my Arena power constant. I kept my Top5 constant. I farmed lower power heroes and just expanded my roster. GW node power was constant. Then I upgraded one of my highest power heroes who was not on my Arena team (Savage Opress) and GW node power changed immediately. No change to Arena. Pretty obvious dependence.

Funny thing ... I still don't have good droids. But I do have 7* HK and 6* 88 now.

Do you have a graph like this, compared to your highest winning arena team power?

Not questioning your method, but i reckon it would look very similar

• Top five of your roster VS top five of others. As you approach the global top you start getting easy node 12, and, eventually, 11. I have never heard of easy 10. And those easy ones are machine-generated accounts (at least some of them).

You will get easy N9 and N6 before you get easy N10.

Do you have a graph like this, compared to your highest winning arena team power?

Yes ... open the spoiler.

Yes ... open the spoiler.

Sorry, my bad.
    nice work

• MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Every time you but a vault it gets easier
  • MBL_66 wrote: »
    Every time you but a vault it gets easier

Ive butted many vaults is that why i can complete GW in 15mins or why my head hurts so much
  • Maegor
    1217 posts Member
    @EventineElessedil nice work! Thanks for putting those graphs together.
  • Fitz
    302 posts Member
    Ignorance is bliss
  • Want easy GW? Get Palp. He stuns everyone. His shock renders tanks useless. Renders anyone who heals or gains tm or buffs useless. After the first node his tm advantage snowballs and he crushes everyone. Sometimes I make it through the first 5 nodes without taking a single hit.
  • Want easy GW? Get Palp. He stuns everyone. His shock renders tanks useless. Renders anyone who heals or gains tm or buffs useless. After the first node his tm advantage snowballs and he crushes everyone. Sometimes I make it through the first 5 nodes without taking a single hit.
    Is 6* Palpa good enough?
    @Thor_Odinson1
  • All of what you are posting are theories not facts.
    Anyways what no one has made a point on is...are the enemy teams from real players or some computer generated teams.
    Some of my "hard" nodes (6, 9, 11, 12 if not 3*) were arena-teams i've found on my shard or on screenshots of arena-screens on the forums ... so i guess there are some teams of real players mixed into the pool of gw teams.
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Ive definitely noticed how every third battle is significantly more difficult
    Is 6* Palpa good enough?
    @Thor_Odinson1

Yup. Gear is more important. Try to get him to G10. No raid gear needed I don't think.
  • Palp only works if he gets a turn. Usually node 6, 9 and 11 ai will take out whole team without getting a hit off!
  • Annastrasza
    1766 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    @Thor_Odinson1
    Thank you