GW repeat failure

Ok, so I've just failed GW for 2 days in a row. By that, I mean all my tools are all dead. Twice in a row.. I'm only level 47, and it's putting me up against level 57 teams, that are 5-6 star.. what's up with this stupid matchmaking? Any ideas for tomorrow? Or should I just put this game away, if I get 7 battles in GW and fail?

Reading other people's GW team setup, it sounds like I have a long ways to go, but not being able to farm GW is putting a huge crimp into my progression.

Replies

• JWH
    138 posts Member
    I didn't win GW until I was 55 and only started winning consecutive times at 59. Be patient. Also, I use a Barriss, Lumi and JC heal squad with Kylo and Sid. GW is about survivability in your current battle and to start your next battle.

Try to eliminate the tank first with no healing debuffs and big attacks. That's round one. Round two should be focused on the lowest HP except Dooku. Always save him for last.

Who's on your team--maybe I can help?
  • My leader is Sid - comp goes like this:

Sid - 4*
    IG-86 - 4*
    JC - 4*
    Daka - 4*
    Jawa 4* or Cad Bane 3*, I haven't quite decided who is better.. Cad's stun or Jawa's damage. He actually seems to pair well.

I also have Chewie and Talia, but they are only 3* still.

I was doing quite good in GW for the last 4-5 days, since I was able to do them, but these last 2 days have really been bad..

My strat normally goes like this: take out JC first, he normally is one now the lowest HP characters, plus that gets rid of his heals. Then I normally go for the next lowest hp, sometimes focusing the stuns on the top guy, or whichever one does special damage like armor pen buffs.
  • JWH
    138 posts Member
    Killing JC first means you could have your attacks interrupted by the tank giving the healer a chance to recover. Killing the tank means you control the tempo of your attacks. Also, try leveling up your toons' levels--that will help you big time. Do you have Barriss or Lumi? Barriss has an awesome HP leader buff and Lumi has a force blast like JC--very nice when not deflected. Use Sid's single target attack to make the tank unhealable then let loose.
  • I understand the tank taunt features. With IG-86's buddy attack system, and his very high crit chance, usually I can kill JC in 2-3 turns max.

But that's not the problem I'm having lately; it's the much higher level enemies I'm encountering. Like today: enemies that are 10, I repeat TEN levels higher than me. How do you fight that? Their aoe pretty much kills me in one go around.
  • JWH
    138 posts Member
    That's just crappy RNG.
  • I was sorta wondering that.. do I understand correctly, that your arena rank affects your GW enemies? I've been avoiding arena the last few days..
  • JWH
    138 posts Member
    No, the two are separate entities that have no commonality.
  • @kickn4fun did you win your gw today? i lost mine yesterday but having a little bit easier gw today
    TNR Rey of Hope, Heroic Raid 36/50
  • Arena and gw aren't involved in any sort of calculation for team matching imo. I am #1 most times at 6pm, rarely go above #13. Tonight for example, I just completed gw, I was arena #1 all throughout and I didn't even fight a team level less than 4 levels lower.

It was probably the easiest teams I've ever fought relatively I'm lev 69 and teams were 64 or 65 at maximum tonight . Usually I fight around my level at hardest, never seen one 2+ levels higher, I have 5 7* full gear characters.

Tldr, no idea how gw teams are matched, my #1 arena doesn't appear to get me harder gw teams relative.
  • I have not finished GW since. Today I got to the 10th battle. I have done fairly good though, I haven't come across any teams 10 levels higher than me again. I am running into the situation others have described, though. The enemy seems to get crits and debuffs a lot more frequently than I do. I know this is just RNG, but it's frustrating some.

Knowing to not expect to win has made it easier to accept defeat.
  • I failed about four in a row and then I completed one and now I haven't not completed one for three days straight. Seems to get easier after you keep winning.
  • Rheen
    269 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    kickn4fun wrote: »
    My leader is Sid - comp goes like this:

Sid - 4*
    IG-86 - 4*
    JC - 4*
    Daka - 4*
    Jawa 4* or Cad Bane 3*, I haven't quite decided who is better.. Cad's stun or Jawa's damage. He actually seems to pair well.

I also have Chewie and Talia, but they are only 3* still.

I was doing quite good in GW for the last 4-5 days, since I was able to do them, but these last 2 days have really been bad..

My strat normally goes like this: take out JC first, he normally is one now the lowest HP characters, plus that gets rid of his heals. Then I normally go for the next lowest hp, sometimes focusing the stuns on the top guy, or whichever one does special damage like armor pen buffs.

Here is a guide that discusses which target to kill first. Your JC is a great asset in GW. Not sure if you have luminara yet, but she is also a great one to use.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/8977/galactic-war-guide-team-instinct

Also don't get discouraged. GW is the hardest part of the game. That's why there is so much discussion about strategy to beat it. As your characters develop in level, gear, and stars, you will be able to do a little better each time.

Then when you are able to complete the whole thing it will be a great accomplishment.

Keep at it!
    Guide to Beating Galactic War from Team Instinct
    TeamInstinct.net -- Community Site and Home to Team Instinct
  • I've never understood why everyone complains so much about GW. If everyone completed it everyday then there wouldn't be much of an advantage to successfully completing it.

I also find GW to be where I learn the most about my toons. E.I. Which leader to use (Sid or Phasma), which attacks to do first (AoE or single hit), and I actually enjoy the puzzle of putting in fodder to weaken your opponents and get them to waste their special attacks.

It's meant to be hard but use it as an opportunity to learn more about your team and it should feel rewarding to clear GW after beating teams that are 10+ levels than you.

Best
  • Here is a guide on GW from Team Instinct! Hope this helps!

http://www.teaminstinct.net/swgoh-galactic-war-guide/
  • I've never understood why everyone complains so much about GW. If everyone completed it everyday then there wouldn't be much of an advantage to successfully completing it.

I also find GW to be where I learn the most about my toons. E.I. Which leader to use (Sid or Phasma), which attacks to do first (AoE or single hit), and I actually enjoy the puzzle of putting in fodder to weaken your opponents and get them to waste their special attacks.

It's meant to be hard but use it as an opportunity to learn more about your team and it should feel rewarding to clear GW after beating teams that are 10+ levels than you.

Best

Go to work on payday and let everyone else get paid except you. That's why people are complaining. For the most part the people that keep on about how easy it is are the same ones who have all the cool high level toons. Some of us who can't afford to spend a thousand dollars want to play too. We are left behind even further when we can only get one GW shipment a day. Mind you I'm not complaining, I was seriously trying to answer your wondering. I managed to win one before I hit 50 and can't even get close now. By the middle I'm fighting squads that are synergized and much higher in level pretty much every day. I get teams with Sid and dooku and Phasma etc and I usually lose someone I need before I ever get a turn. Then people offer stupid advice like use so and so like I have 7* good toons on the bench lol. I agree it shouldn't be a cake walk but it should be reasonable for everyone and not just big pockets.
  • It's really about RNG, I've fought some tough battles that had 3/5 7* gear 8 on some of the last 3 fights that prevents me from finishing. Lately tho since I've gotten my lumi into leader position and actually manually fighting the battles it's been much easier.
  • yes it isnt easy sometimes... Once i've retreated like 40 times or more, to get the best possibilities and i run "suicide squads" against strong enemies, to get their skills on cd. I run my arena team, since that isnt strong enough either, but i have no problems to take the gw every day. Even tho i have like 2 weeks handicap to everybody on my srv since my phone went wrong. Im only in the top 500 in arena, but as i said i can finish gw like every day. What is annyoing that i cant reset gw shipments coz they changed from war tokens to crystals...
  • I'm not so sure it is RNG. I played earlier and got spanked in the opening round on a lucky crit. I retreated and tried again. The AI did everything in the exact same order including the crit. I said whoa that was odd I tried again, the same exact thing. This happened 5 consecutive times.

So the RNG is set before the fight even begins it seems to me. How else could this happen?

Oh and to make it more fun I got to fight a team with a 7* Sid and a 6* dooku and a 6* Phasma. All 3 were around lvl 60 and my highest to on is 4* lvl 47 lol. Thanks matchmakers.
  • For the last week I was able to cruise through GW, without losing any toons, and some days without retreating. Today was a nightmare. By my 6th mission, I already was desperate enough for a fodder squad. 7th mission required sacrificing my Poe (who is top 5 for my arena if not GW). My 9th mission required my entire B squad as fodder plus several retreats with my A squad to get some lucky RNG. The 12th also required several retreats, to finally make it through with one survivor.

I am level 61 and already saw level 66 by my 4th battle.

The difference? I think because yesterday I was able to get #1 in Arena at the deadline for the first time. I had been consistently top 3-5 the previous days but maybe getting #1 caused the difficulty to intensify.
  • I have Lumi now, actually just promoted her to 4*. Should I use her or Sid as my lead? I have both their leader skill at level 5.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    kickn4fun wrote: »
    I have Lumi now, actually just promoted her to 4*. Should I use her or Sid as my lead? I have both their leader skill at level 5.

I use lumi as leader in GW. Raise his leader skill to 4, and you get a passive heal which is good in GW
  • Currently lvl 59

I use
    Phasma 5* g7 (lead)
    Dooku 4* g7
    Lumi 6* g7
    JC 5* g7
    Sid 6* g7

I occasionally swap in 4* Daka for extra heal or stuns

If I come across a really high team then a scrub round usually eats their specials

I've won every GW since the change

Atm I am only gearing and leveling those 6 and have kept everyone else low on the assumtion total power contributes the GW opponent matching.

Next projects are GS and QGJ
    Roger roger
  • Going to be tough until you catch up. But use heavy heal teams. Focus on opposing teams Sid 1st so you do not get healbocked. Always leave their high health low damage heroes till last like Chewy / 5s / Barris and stall the victory so to reset abilities