Are character-earning events completely dead?

Prev13
They're far more enjoyable and a known investment from a time and unlockability standpoint.

90% of us are exhausted with this format. Please at least OCCASIONALLY offer an alternative release to a new character.

Replies

• I did like those shard earning events. A lot more than spamming for 48 hours to get 25 shards that sit there for the next year.
  • My favorite part of this game is the non-competing events that you have to build up your toons to complete (Military might, etc.). I still wasn't able to complete some the last time round. They are a nice challenge.
  • My favorite part of this game is the non-competing events that you have to build up your toons to complete (Military might, etc.). I still wasn't able to complete some the last time round. They are a nice challenge.

Completely agree. It encourages a diverse roster by using a character's opposing faction to unlock and they're a fun challenge.

When was the last time we saw one?
  • UltimateZeus
    1221 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    BrtStlnd wrote: »
    My favorite part of this game is the non-competing events that you have to build up your toons to complete (Military might, etc.). I still wasn't able to complete some the last time round. They are a nice challenge.

Completely agree. It encourages a diverse roster by using a character's opposing faction to unlock and they're a fun challenge.

When was the last time we saw one?

EP followed by the military might/assault battles +- 4 months ago.

Omega battles / Rebel daily events don't count...
  • Emperor Palpatine
  • Fitz
    302 posts Member
    True that.
  • If I wasn't in an awesome guild I would have already quit this game.
  • Oh boy do I hate these tourneys. Another OP toons for the top .5% to add with the last 3 OP toons released they already have. It's always gonna be the same whales collecting these. Ugh. What a way to appease the whales. Geez. Give them an entire squad of ridiculously OP toons that no one else has a chance to get for months. Awesome.
  • Not wasting my time unless there is a clear and immediate path to 7 star. Spend hours grinding for what will become a whales only character. You're dreaming.
  • Oh boy do I hate these tourneys. Another OP toons for the top .5% to add with the last 3 OP toons released they already have. It's always gonna be the same whales collecting these. Ugh. What a way to appease the whales. Geez. Give them an entire squad of ridiculously OP toons that no one else has a chance to get for months. Awesome.

Right? They literally keep giving every new character to the same users over and over. Let people with weekend plans and families get the occasional new toon.
  • Agree with the OP. Please stop these awful "tournaments" and bring back the real events. You know...the ones that actually rewarded strategy and deep rosters.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • BrtStlnd wrote: »
    Oh boy do I hate these tourneys. Another OP toons for the top .5% to add with the last 3 OP toons released they already have. It's always gonna be the same whales collecting these. Ugh. What a way to appease the whales. Geez. Give them an entire squad of ridiculously OP toons that no one else has a chance to get for months. Awesome.

Right? They literally keep giving every new character to the same users over and over. Let people with weekend plans and families get the occasional new toon.

This game is your new family. Aunt Jyn is coming over for the weekend on the 17th lol
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Agree with the OP. Please stop these awful "tournaments" and bring back the real events. You know...the ones that actually rewarded strategy and deep rosters.

Completely agree.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Agree with the OP. Please stop these awful "tournaments" and bring back the real events. You know...the ones that actually rewarded strategy and deep rosters.

Completely agree.

This
  • I began playing in August, and the only challenge-style character event I have been a part of was the Grain Masher Yoder event
  • I tend to take the cynic's view, but once EA realized they could make money off of releasing toons, they stopped making them free.... there hasn't been this type of event since the first tournament.
  • I'm confused. OP makes it sound like we have had so many other events that reward chars. I believe there have been 2, one for yoda and one for palps.

Any other event would reward you with a few shards, yippie how does tourney differ from that. You play and get a few shards.

I like the fact that I have a small chance if any to unlock a char from the tourney. Better than no chance at all
  • I tend to take the cynic's view, but once EA realized they could make money off of releasing toons, they stopped making them free.... there hasn't been this type of event since the first tournament.

How are they making money off ally point tournaments? They're in gw shop.
  • Oskar: Before I (and apparently you) started playing, there were events to unlock toons. Not a few shards from a certain toon, to my understanding, but a fully unlocked toon which one could start gearing iot star them later. Our issue is that these toons are being released, but only those with disproportionately deep rosters are able to get them. It is a transparent way to reward/encourage spending.Can't say it is not an effective tactic to make money, but I find it shameless and low.
  • I'm confused. OP makes it sound like we have had so many other events that reward chars. I believe there have been 2, one for yoda and one for palps.

Any other event would reward you with a few shards, yippie how does tourney differ from that. You play and get a few shards.

I like the fact that I have a small chance if any to unlock a char from the tourney. Better than no chance at all

You don't have to spend 20 hours of your weekend to unlock a new character. You diversify your roster and go after someone you want. I'm just saying that format is FAR superior to the tournament format.
  • Oskar: Before I (and apparently you) started playing, there were events to unlock toons. Not a few shards from a certain toon, to my understanding, but a fully unlocked toon which one could start gearing iot star them later. Our issue is that these toons are being released, but only those with disproportionately deep rosters are able to get them. It is a transparent way to reward/encourage spending.Can't say it is not an effective tactic to make money, but I find it shameless and low.

I started playing in Dec, the closest we have gotten to an event that gives a full char are the one shard a day events that have been running recently

You make the announcement and sell packs for those that want a shortcut. Boom, EA can still make money and we can rid ourselves of this time sink.
  • I was under the impression that the military might events rewarded characters? Can anybody clarify for me please?
    I like that idea stlnd. Of course the devs paycheck needs to come from somewhere. I think the same toon-pack format would do well in a character-unlocking event. Toons are more valuable than omega mats, and I feel that I may be driven to spend $10-$20 if it means unlocking a toon I want sooner.
    I don't mind spending the time; I am a procrastinating college student, with a big surplus of it. I just feel that I should not HAVE to spend my very few dollars in order to do well in this game.
  • LVTrisha wrote: »
    I did like those shard earning events. A lot more than spamming for 48 hours to get 25 shards that sit there for the next year.

+1
    As I am not going to compete in a 48 hour tournament anymore. I'll take the last tier place. Seem to get more from bronzium packs. Lmao
  • I was under the impression that the military might events rewarded characters? Can anybody clarify for me please?
    I like that idea stlnd. Of course the devs paycheck needs to come from somewhere. I think the same toon-pack format would do well in a character-unlocking event. Toons are more valuable than omega mats, and I feel that I may be driven to spend $10-$20 if it means unlocking a toon I want sooner.
    I don't mind spending the time; I am a procrastinating college student, with a big surplus of it. I just feel that I should not HAVE to spend my very few dollars in order to do well in this game.

military might event rewarded a bunch of empire shards including vader shards and had an achievement that gives more vader shards
  • Hmm, ok. Thank you. So what event are these people saying that they got Aayla from?
  • OskarWulfgar
    103 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Hmm, ok. Thank you. So what event are these people saying that they got Aayla from?

Off the top of my head I cant remember what event gave aayla shards.

swgoh.gg may have it listed believe they have all the events listed
  • @QuiGonJesus They had a brief "champions of the force" series of events that disappeared for some reason.
  • I'd much rather a Bistan style event than get another 15 shards for a character i can't get more for unless I pay, or wait months. I wish we had events that required the use of usually unused characters, giving us a reason to bring them into play and work on more than 5-10 people and ignore the rest.
  • Vatano wrote: »
    I'd much rather a Bistan style event than get another 15 shards for a character i can't get more for unless I pay, or wait months. I wish we had events that required the use of usually unused characters, giving us a reason to bring them into play and work on more than 5-10 people and ignore the rest.

Guess i'm more of a gambler. I will take a chance at unlocking a char over a guaranteed char any day.

Besides in both scenarios you have shards for a char you cant get more of without spending