Galactic War Shipments refresh now costs premium currency instead of Galactic War Tokens.

Replies

• Hate it
    Geez, I came to this game from that Perambulating Necrotics: Tarmac to Continuity game and was wowed by the active and positive developer, moderator, and community conversation here.

It really felt like the developers were focused on gameplay, not monetizing every aspect of the game. And the tone here was one of appreciation, folks happily spending.

However, in just two months there have been several moves that I can't help but shake my head and think I was wrong. Perhaps it's just a consequence of the freemium model...but this game feels like it's taking a similar turn. I spotted it early in that other game, and it's starting to feel similar here. The promises of transparency and of great things coming simultaneous to disappearing packages, price increases and other stealthy changes to players detriment and expense while ignoring active bugs and gameplay issues all the while the developer and moderator interactions seem to dwindle...it feels like I've been down this road before.

Thus I formally submit and suggest the following homophonic gernericization and portmanteau definition as description of this decision, it's a real scope-play:
    scope-play (n): a stealthy conversion of free in-game rewards to premium pay-walled incentives to the detriment of gameplay; a game change simply to further monetize gameplay. Note: verb and gerund forms are also acceptable, but adverbs become difficult, e.g. scope-playly.
  • Hate it
    At the very least they should have given us some warning. I have 4K GW tokens saved up mostly from when I skipped buying shipments for a few days after I 7* Luminara. I wasn't sure who to get next and finally decided on Phasma. I suppose I could have done the refresh with the tokens to get her shards faster but I liked keeping them banked on the off chance someone new became available in the shipments that I wanted to use them all for. Granted I can still use them for a new person while spending my daily ones on Phasma but if they announced it I probably would just have spent all them on Phasma via refreshing.
  • Doesnt effect me
    I never used galactic war refreshes because I wouldn't be able to tolerate my galactic war tokens being a number that couldn't be evenly divisible by zero
    Ally code: 323-282-152. Member of TNR. The New Rebellion
  • Hate it
    HamZolo wrote: »
    At the very least they should have given us some warning. I have 4K GW tokens saved up mostly from when I skipped buying shipments for a few days after I 7* Luminara. I wasn't sure who to get next and finally decided on Phasma. I suppose I could have done the refresh with the tokens to get her shards faster but I liked keeping them banked on the off chance someone new became available in the shipments that I wanted to use them all for. Granted I can still use them for a new person while spending my daily ones on Phasma but if they announced it I probably would just have spent all them on Phasma via refreshing.

I saved 800 so 10 shards and i liked having the option to refresh with tokens because i only used it when i was 5-15 shards away from leveling or getting a character. With this new refresh its ridiculous and im not spending 100 crystals on top of all my other crystals expenses
  • Doesnt effect me
    Kwynne4444 wrote: »
    I hate how out of 800 views only 78 voted in the poll i wish more people voted to see what other people think

To me that means that they don't care about this game breaking update.
    The way this was bugged leads me to believe it was always meant to work this way.
    My only issue with it is I do believe anyone who used tokens should get them back.
  • Daezl
    177 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Hate it
    This change doesn't effect me immediately because I've been spending my GW tokens on Phasma, but I had noticed and taken advantage of the cheap refresh in the past so that I didn't have to log in obsessively to spend my daily tokens. In the long run, I don't think that this change is a big deal even though it is obviously motivated in large part (if not entirely) by greed.

The fact that numerous, vocal, highly visible members of the community were openly stockpiling tokens while this change was slid into an update as a footnote, however, shows blatant disregard for the customer base. Anyone with any sense could have anticipated the backlash, and anyone who cared about keeping their customers happy would have realized that they either needed to provide advance notice that stockpiling would not be viable in the near future, or provide an appealing way to deplete those stockpiles. Advance notice, multiple desirable farmables added to the GW shipment, a currency exchange ... those are just three ideas I came up with in about two minutes as a lay-person with no professional experience related to game design.
  • Hate it
    It's not that I hate the change in and of itself, because I do understand that they don't want the people who saved tokens to instantly 7* whatever new content they put there. But they needed to give a heads up. People have odd amounts of GW tokens now that they can't spend because nothing costs 280 or 20, everything costs 400.

I am one who saved their GW tokens because I didn't need to farm anyone else. BUT, if I had known this was going to happen, I would've been spending the tokens to * up some people I may never use, but at least my tokens wouldn't be locked behind a pay wall.
  • Reyia
    1171 posts Member
    Doesnt effect me
    It didn't affect me at all and I've never used the refresh as I never have enough shipments to begin with.

The current character I'm focusing on ATM is 5* Phasma who I want to bring to 7*. After him I would do
    IG86 and poggle for a droid team, Resistance pilot to go with my turn meter advantage team, Nightsister
    Initiate to complete my nightsister team, Biggs for to be released ship synergies, Datcha to go with my
    Jawa, and Teebo for my ewok team.

Even bringing a single character to 7* is hard enough, I wouldn't be able to save enough shards for all my
    planned future heroes so there is never a need for refresh anyways.

However I do understand some people have been saving shards for a long time to get a new char and
    they want to instant 7* that char for what used to be a free feature.
  • Hate it
    It's not that I hate the change in and of itself, because I do understand that they don't want the people who saved tokens to instantly 7* whatever new content they put there. But they needed to give a heads up. People have odd amounts of GW tokens now that they can't spend because nothing costs 280 or 20, everything costs 400.

I am one who saved their GW tokens because I didn't need to farm anyone else. BUT, if I had known this was going to happen, I would've been spending the tokens to * up some people I may never use, but at least my tokens wouldn't be locked behind a pay wall.

There are other ways to fix the instantly 7* For example they could of kept the 10 Gw tokens and made it so you could only reset a max 4 times a day
  • Hate it
    CG just isn't happy unless they give somebody (they don't care who) the finger every update. I have been on the receiving end of every.single. one. They just want me to join the dark side.
  • Hate it
    d3gauss wrote: »
    CG just isn't happy unless they give somebody (they don't care who) the finger every update. I have been on the receiving end of every.single. one. They just want me to join the dark side.

Lol that made me laugh but there have been complaints almost every update and this on to me is the worst. I feel its completely unnecessary and they could of dealt with the instantly 7* in other ways
  • Kwynne4444
    161 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Hate it
    Kwynne4444 wrote: »
    I hate how out of 800 views only 78 voted in the poll i wish more people voted to see what other people think

To me that means that they don't care about this game breaking update.
    The way this was bugged leads me to believe it was always meant to work this way.
    My only issue with it is I do believe anyone who used tokens should get them back.

True but there are many people of who dont have accounts to the forum so they cant post but still view (use to be me)
  • Hate it
    murton09 wrote: »
    Ptolemy wrote: »
    Like i said on the crystal sub returning post, it really seems like they habe decided this game is going to be a short term cash cow, so with no regard for the consumer experience they are just trying to milk as much cash quickly as possible. A bloody shame because with the star wars theme this game has potential for so much more

Quite the opposite, they are staging it to be a long term cash cow. It is easy to forget the huge advantage we have had by being early in. New players...the millions of new players that will join will never know the difference and already have an uphill battle.

If people would actually objectively analyze pros and cons of the various issues instead of immediately screaming about the apparent negatives that affect them we'd all be better off.

This forum has become a pathetic cycle of update/development post then cry fest and poll threads...unacceptable

Could not agree more. A lot of people here seem to be smart but don't quite grasp the fact that it's just business.
  • AdamW
    692 posts Member
    Hate it
    Wow.. just unbelievable. It seems like everything you guys touch recently you just FFF*** up!! Quit messing up your current modes and ONLY focus on bringing new modes since you guys have some sort of necrotic touch right now.

You guys need to investigate someone at your company, obviously someone is out to sabotage this game.

@EA_Jesse @CG_JohnSalera What are you guys thinking!!?? Quit taking away things people like.
  • Hate it
    We have asked sooo many times for a heads up on changes such as these. Almost all ignored. This change brings it in line with other refresh costs so I can see the reason behind it.

Having said that, they also know the reason why we were all saving. This most certainly should have come with at LEAST a week notice. Those willing to spend crystals for refreshes will still be the same ppl and they'll decide to keep their shards. Crisis averted. Those unwilling would have a few days to contemplate and decide on their outlook, either spending or saving. Again, crisis averted. Instead we get this, SURPRISE! Majority of those saving for the purpose of a new addition being upset.

I'm not sure when they're gonna learn this, but rubbing the player base the wrong way is not good for business.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Doesnt effect me
    Plasmaj wrote: »
    Ha! I just imagine the planning that went into that decision - "Hey, here's a place where we could charge more crystals!"
    More like " hey, our server side data shows s lot of people is hoarding GW tokens for the future characters, based on current refresh cost. If we raise it to crystals, we can rip them off"
  • Hate it
    The only thing that would justify this update is if refreshing with crystals resets the cooldown on all shipments (cantina, GW, arena and regular) at the same time. Otherwise making us pay 50 crystals to reset each individual cooldown is just ridiculous
  • Dont care
    Spend on multiple characters, not that hard to understand.
  • Hate it
    FlyPhish wrote: »

It isn't about not being able to spend the tokens, this went over your head.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Dont care
    No real money grab here it's more of how fast you grab exclusive characters but you can't buy galactic war tokens you can't speed up a galactic war so I think this is a lot of anger over nothing I'm not saying it's a great change but it seems a little overhyped
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Dont care

No I get it, you want to be able to have any new character "instantly". Now you can't. So sad...
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Doesnt effect me

No I get it, you want to be able to have any new character "instantly". Now you can't. So sad...

You can. It just cost money
  • Hate it

Its not just about wanting new characters instantly or being able to spend on shards for shard shop, its just another way for them to keep taking crystals from us. If they wanted to hunder us from being able to unlock characters easily they could honestly just increase the price of the gw crystals needed from like 10 to like 50 or 100; but nope they decided to make it crystals
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Doesnt effect me
    Phipps wrote: »
    GW and Arena shouldn't have shipment timers to even begin with. You can only win a fixed amount of crystals per day so it restricts shard farming at a minuscule rate of only a few hours before the free refresh. Let's be honest anyone that spends all there crystals everyday is never spending 50 crystals to buy more shards instead of waiting a few hours. All this hurts are the players that were strategically saving crystals for the next new huge update. Now saving has been rendered worthless as we will have to farm 2 toons at a time in order to spend the saved crystals.

I think that's EXACTLY why they changed it. They didn't want people saving up for new characters and getting them at once

Probably. But they should say so. Their comunication protocols suck.
  • Dont care

Its not just about wanting new characters instantly or being able to spend on shards for shard shop, its just another way for them to keep taking crystals from us. If they wanted to hunder us from being able to unlock characters easily they could honestly just increase the price of the gw crystals needed from like 10 to like 50 or 100; but nope they decided to make it crystals

No one is taking crystals, you have to choose to spend them, choose not to.
  • Hate it
    Is it just me or is nearly every change meant to encourage crystal spending?

Every change meant to encourage us to quit
  • Dont care
    The complainers have three options available to them. Catch 4 shipments per day, spend on multiple characters, or use crystals. GW is the easiest shard farm in the game, get over it.

I'm guessing most will take option four, engage in pointless whining.
  • Hate it
    this is pretty much only affects the people who started playing early... the pioneers of the game, and probably the onea who have spent the most money so far.

Nice cash grab.... well played * sigh *
  • Hate it
    The complainers have three options available to them. Catch 4 shipments per day, spend on multiple characters, or use crystals. GW is the easiest shard farm in the game, get over it.

I'm guessing most will take option four, engage in pointless whining.

And you can take option 5: choose not to "whine", but lets us who wish to voice our opinions about an update do so. No one is forcing you to respond to us"whiners", you choose respond on your own free will. Feel free to avoid this thread
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Hate it
    The change doesn't effect me, but I hate when game companies does things like this and with out any pre warning, and there are people whom got an odd token balance that will stay like that, for you can only use 400 at the time, just think that there could be some out there that just before the matinence decited to use the refress for the first time, they are now forced to look at 390 tokens that are unuseble, way to go CG, seems like capital stans for money, and not the dream of being the "Capital" of games
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection