Tips for the new Galactic War

Prev1
VikingWarrior
11 posts Member
edited January 2016
Hey everyone!

So there's obviously been a lot of frustration with the Galatic War changes, especially from f2p and new/low level players. This post is intended to be help for players just starting out, or those who have just unlocked Galactic War, but are still at a lower level where it's tough to complete all 12 battles. These tips are based on my own playing experience and my daily browsing of the forums.

Think of this as what I would do if I had to start over from scratch as a f2p.

First:
I am f2p and I've completed Galatic War pretty easily both times since the change. The squad I run is:

Barriss 4* (L)
Lumi 6*
JC 4*
Geonosian Soldier 3*
IG-86 4*

All at gear level 7 minus Barriss.

So obviously Barriss and Lumi are not easy to get right from the start for f2p. Don't worry about that. Instead focus on the strategy of this group. I run with 3 healers and 2 heavy DPS, single-target attackers (Geo and 86). The three healers allow you to smartly time your heals so there's always someone with a cooldown fully reset and ready to heal the party. I think with the new GW format, this is a good way to go.

With that strategy in mind, how should a starting f2p player maximize their start?

1) Focus on farming the Jedi Consular

"JC," as he's referred to here on the forums, is a fantastic character who will help you even at the higher levels of the arena. He's also one of the easiest characters to farm without the need of GW. Focus on getting him starred and geared first.

2) Use your cantina shipments to unlock Old Daka
This is a toon I still haven't unlocked, but I wish I had focused on from the start. It will take a little while, but you get cantina energy free every day. Why not double up and farm the Geo Soldier at the same time? (He's a great character as well!) Daka unlocks at 4* and is another powerful healer that can also help you with Dark Side missions.

3) Farm Talia
Also a very easy-to-farm toon and she has an extremely powerful heal. If geared and starred up, she hits very hard. I'd focus on her once you get JC to 4*

4) Pick a high DPS attacker to focus on
A critical piece to focus down the most dangerous toons on the other team. There are several good options that don't require GW. Sidious and IG-88 can be purchased from arena shipments, Geo Soldier and Luke are farmable from some of the first cantina missions.

Yes, this process will take some time, but if you create a plan early on, you'll have a nice team by the time you're at a high enough level where you should expect to finish GW every day.

I hope this helped! Remember, this is just my collection of thoughts and is by no means the only way to play!

I'd be interested to see what other experienced players would do if they were starting from scratch. Share your thoughts!

Replies

• Does anyone know how opponents for Galactic War are determined? No matter what I do I cannot beat it. Every time I upgrade characters I simply face better opponents. When I made it to level 60, now they all have more stars. Super frustrating.
  • Im at lvl53 and have beat it 5 times, failed like 3. I have Lumi. Sid. Phasma. Poe. Barriss. Luke. Oppress. JC. 86. etc.

What characters do you have?
  • I have Lumi, JC, IG88, Boba, and Savage Opress as my highest. But have about 5 others at level 60 as well. I also have about 10 other really low characters. I'm wondering if that is the problem. If they calculate enemies from total power, mine is really high, however the low level characters are useless going up against a team of 5 level 60 5 star characters, which is what I face in several battles back to back in GW.
  • Are you saying you've never beaten galaxy wars at all? Or that you haven't beat it since reaching lvl 60?
  • I have beaten it only once in 3 months of playing, so not unusual.

What I've learned recently:
    - Abuse the design of the game and retreat your characters when they get stunned/area effects are on you.
    - Abuse the design of the game and feed low level baits that make them use their skills, or you may snipe a character, before sending your main team.
    Timba ~ f2p since October ~ on LINE timba_timba ~ [FTB]

• There's a galactic war guide on the forum. Look into it, it's helpful.

• I use barriss as lead with lumi sid Vader and ahsoka and I don't have any problems with gw.
  • SidiousIsPikachu
    771 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Well i had huge problem with gw... I had 7*sidious, jc, chewie, 7* ig-86, talia, , jawa, phasma, anakin, obi wan... all very high lvls and very strong in 5v5. Power like 4000 sidious and ig-86 (**** the crits and calling assists. WOW) and still.. Couldnt finish those 12 bloody fights. Had a lot of substitutes also, like 20 around 40-50 lvl. With lot of startegies and tons of repeating to use talia,jc,ashoka passive heal, couldnt pass lvl 11 (and not allways got there)
    In lvl 59 i got barris in bronzium card (rofl 250 coins get 4 star hero? Didnt know can do that!!)
    , got her to like 2000 in stats and lvl 40. Swapped my chewie with her (he is 55 with 3600) and boom. 2 wins of gw for the, in a row.
    Used only 5 champs. ONLY 6 champs. Not the 25 champs iwas using.. Only barris, sidious, ig 86, jc, phasma. And subbed in talia for extra heal (freaking douko).
    So from nothing for a month, to 2 wins in a row.
    Barris is so op.get a passive healer her or lumi, do retreats when time is good, and easy win. Got her leader to lvl 4 and easy win but glad i won.

Perhaps barris is the child from the prophecy, she brought balance to my force.
    Post edited by GummyBearKing268 on
  • Andrew wrote: »
    Are you saying you've never beaten galaxy wars at all? Or that you haven't beat it since reaching lvl 60?

I beat it once when I was at level 50, and not since.

• Bpom wrote: »
    Andrew wrote: »
    Are you saying you've never beaten galaxy wars at all? Or that you haven't beat it since reaching lvl 60?

I beat it once when I was at level 50, and not since.

First, check out the guide in the guides section. Retreating is a planned feature (why else call it retreating and not quit, etc.) IMO using force close to reset the battle is an exploit but it hasn't been labeled as such by ea/CG.

As far as building a team, you have a decent start. I would build like this for your main squad:

1. Phasma - Leader
    2. JC - Heals (make sure to level skills to max for reduced cooldown.
    3. Luminara - attack and support healing.
    4. IG-88 - glass cannon
    5. Poe (farm him as he will protect your cannons)

Once you are beginning to clear better you can drop JC out for another heavy hitter like Luke,Kylo or FOTP

Then in your bench, look for heroes with hard hitting basic attacks and/or really short cooldown specials that hit decently hard.

Use the retreat option when needed and put in fodder to take the specials. I use a team of mace, Anakin, guardian and other high health heroes for this.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    My guess is that retreating is there on purpose because it is really much of the strategy in this mode.
    People usually lose because they don't use it quickly enough. I will often start pulling my starters as soon as 2 or even 1 of the enemy is dead, even in the early rounds. Usually it is Sid who gets pulled and JC gets put in after the serious dangers are gone. He still does decent damage, and his short-cycle heal lets me keep my other starters topped up while saving my main heals.
    This is the key to success in GW: lots of healers, and planning each fight based not just on that fight but the one after it.
    People also take too many chances with characters that are low on health. The AI is dumb but it is smart enough to finish off guys with red bars. Pull them, put them back in with a healer later on when there's only a Barriss or Chewie or whatnot left.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • I'll piggy back on the op with some tips as well.

Daka, duku and Poe are now heavily needed for galactic war. Getting stuns on the first turn is the only real way to survive some of the high lvl prpl teams and remain in good shape for the next battle.

I had one tough battle around nod 7 this morning, I had to restart multiple time to find the right combination to land stuns without being stunned myself so I could survive the first round not to mention limited heal blocked as well. I was facing a high lvl phasma led doku/daka team with lumi and Sid. Took about 5-6 tries.

Another tactic is when you have a low health toon at an end of match that you want to heal. I had this happen, brough poe out with my badly damaged JC, taunted which allowed me to get to lumi for a heal. Having the fast taunt was the only way to keep a key healer alive.

Another tip is to hit the lumi heal earlier in the battle than normal so it is fully cooled down before the next match.

My tips for developers would be to keep the system the same, grant all toons 1 cool down between matches and 25% health increase to all non dead toons. So you could leave a goon out for 2 matches and they would come back in for the 3rd match with 50% more health and 2 cool downs. This would give more options to people, they will rotate toons more and encourages a deeper bench.

• Thanks for all of the tips. After I upgraded Luminara and JC I've been doing much better. At 5 wins now.
  • These GW tips are useless since CG screwed it up and changed the way retreat works. Unless you have a large roster of powerful toons dont expect to win much anymore. After the change to GW i cant even finish last 3 lvls pathetic.
    Qui-Gon progress in cantina currently 4* gear lvl 7.

• My tips for developers would be to keep the system the same, grant all toons 1 cool down between matches and 25% health increase to all non dead toons. So you could leave a goon out for 2 matches and they would come back in for the 3rd match with 50% more health and 2 cool downs. This would give more options to people, they will rotate toons more and encourages a deeper bench.

I agree with this one
    My tips for developers would be to keep the system the same, grant all toons 1 cool down between matches and 25% health increase to all non dead toons. So you could leave a goon out for 2 matches and they would come back in for the 3rd match with 50% more health and 2 cool downs. This would give more options to people, they will rotate toons more and encourages a deeper bench.

It seem easy ! If Gw change as you said, i think it's not a challenge.
    This world is not of those who have money , nor of those who have power !
  • Megaman
    1 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Now lvl 54 and my team is
    7* sidius
    6* jc
    6* lumi
    4 * windu
    And talia\ Ashoka tano

So the only difference is windu who I use against taunts guys

Already passed Gw 5 times
  • GW Clear no prob with 5* Sid 4*Kylo 3*Lumi(Leader), 4* JC and 4* Talia, no retreats, Player level 50
  • I just went threw GW hell.... I probably had to retreat 60 times today, and all of my characters went down but 3. I have a strong account. The last 4 teams I gaced were incredibly absurd
    Lumi, old ben, phasma lead, kylo ren, and dooku.

The statistics on ally assist from phasma aren't broken, they are flagrant lies. I have never seen so many ally assists from a 16% chance...
  • I did it again tonight, 2 retreats, 5* Sid, 4* Kylo, 3* Lumi, 4* JC, 5*Talia(she got promoted), no toons lost
  • btw, lvl 51, did it in style, finished with everyone above 90% health
  • Third in a row, one retreat, no deaths, current GW maybe not so much, terrible matchups, only through 9 and Talia is at 80%
  • The secret to GW is really simple. I finish pretty much everyone now. Although it is tough because if you use this method them your arena team progress will slow somewhat. The secret is depth. That's it. Have a 2nd string team and 3rd string of possible. They don't have to be great with high ability levels or anything either. My 2nd amd 3rd stringers are mostly still at lvl 1 abilities and they are just leveled up a bit, but most of the time they ate still a few levels below my opponents. They are great for weakening a strong team or knocking out 1 dangerous guy or healer before your A team mops up. AMD of course healed, at least 2 on your main team and at least 1 on 2nd string team if they are decent enough to make it through a few matches.
  • jfgibson
    59 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I have a deep bench, 7 toons 3 levels below my starters, and a slew 10-15 lvls below my starters. Dunno why, but MM loves me. I get super weak opponents and rarely finish with 1 dead from my starters. BTW 16 in a row.
  • I'm not so sure about this guide.
    Isn't that too many healers?
    You wanna focus on Talia, JC, Lumi, Daka, Bariss ?? That's 5 healers man **** are you supposed to do with that many healers?
    You gonna farm like 60 shards to get JC from 2-4* why not just put those 60 shards elsewhere? Same with Talia - 30 Shards.
    Seems pointless to farm someone only to abandon them later no?

This seems more like a general guide than GW guide..
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • I'm assuming it's "working as intended", but I can't come close to beating GW, now. I'll get to the last 3, but that's it. I'm level 57, and beyond the first 3, I get teams that are up to 6 levels higher than me with full purple gear. I don't know how I'm possibly supposed to beat that, especially in multiple rounds. I do not have a super deep roster, beyond my top 2-3 teams. But, ugh.
  • I'm level 47 and the 3rd or 4th to last fight they're throwing purple level 58 at me. It's ridiculous! I'm 4* lumi, sid, chewie, JC, Talia. lvl 5 gear. That's not right
  • Chosen_One
    96 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I have cleared every GW ever since they change the retreat like force close. The toughest day I might lose 1-2 major toons + a cannon fodder team.

My line-up is Lumi(L), Sid, Dooku, Kylo and JC, sometimes i use Phasma as lead and sub-in Daka instead of JC depends on opponents.
  • Despite what the strategy guide says, when I retreat, it's retreat, not regroup, so battle starts as if nothing ever took place. Bug perhaps? Or am I doing something wrong?