The Gear Grind: A Problem of Supply vs. Demand

Replies

• Snake2 wrote: »
    Great post. I do agree that the items you mentioned are a problem (mk3 projectors, mk4 keypads, mk3 blue agi pistons).

I also think mk3 arrays, mk6 syringes, mk5 detonators, stun cuffs, and mk5 stun guns are bigger problems.

The challenge gear rewards don't come close to giving you enough. Shore T alone needs 300 mk3 arrays to go from g8 to g11. That's 7 weeks of challenge rewards just for 1 character if you don't farm it separately.

True, those are obviously more difficult, but there's no way that'll be fixed since they're high end gear items. With the lower ones, there's no reason every top tier player at lvl 85 should have to worry about some petty lvl 60 gear items.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind
  • This is exactly what we need. Great post and really needs to be looked at by the devs
  • Jabba
    1033 posts Member
    +10000000000000 so many of our guildies quit in last month alone because of this more saying they are close everyday. Those people that quit and close by the way are dolphins and whales. @CG_JohnSalera
  • Bump for a reply hopefully from the devs
  • Phipps wrote: »
    Many 11-12 month dedicated players ftp and p2p have been quitting the game recently for just this reason.

New content is great, however it's worthless when we still have to farm the same gear we were farming 11 months ago. We can't even farm the new gear.

Meanwhile whales have new OP toons, max g11 toons....beyond OP mods that are now unobtainable due to mod nerf....and the upcoming game breaking zetas.

Advice for the devs, all your hard work is going to be worthless within the next 30-60 days unless 100% of your time is currently being spent fixing the above issues.....all f2p will quit since they can't compete, whales will soon follow as player base will grow stale.

Too much dev time is spent trying to rng drain every cent from the player base instead of making the game fun.

Need a throwback @Naecabon 'Shame' post

Very good and solid diagnosis. This game is in serious risk of boomtown
  • Very thorough, nicely put.

I am not a free to play player, I have 70 7 star toons. The goal is to be able to use everyone, isn't it? To do that the amount of gear is startling.

Drops in battles are so low, sometimes 1 or 2 out of 24 sims, that's 200 crystals. If you need 50 salvage, your spending 1000's of crystals. An honest 1/3 drop rate and farming wouldn't be a lesson in futility. 8/24 and a user would get a feeling of progression. I can't just buy all the gear that's no fun. It's better to get rewards by gameplay.

Every level of the challenges has the same gear. Variety of gear on levels so we can choose what is useful. Lower amounts at high levels is fine. I'd rather get only 2 pieces of needed gear, than 12 pieces of gear I can't use.

Raid drops have no rhyme or reason. Players that register 0 damage get 2 full crafted gear and players in top 3 get the salvage gear(available in challenges) they do not need.

Between getting shard, credits to star, leveling up, mods, ships and more
    It's a misconception that giving the players a few pieces of the gear they need will not help EA fiscally so they don't care. So much gear is needed it won't be game changing. One piece 50 salvage, needing many. That's hundreds, thousands of pieces. Just to see the totals going up with the new influx of characters.

I was really enjoying the game. Acquiring new toons and trying different combinations. Now I just spend all my time keeping up with the meta. Kinda **** the fun out

• Very thorough, nicely put.

I am not a free to play player, I have 70 7 star toons. The goal is to be able to use everyone, isn't it? To do that the amount of gear is startling.

Drops in battles are so low, sometimes 1 or 2 out of 24 sims, that's 200 crystals. If you need 50 salvage, your spending 1000's of crystals. An honest 1/3 drop rate and farming wouldn't be a lesson in futility. 8/24 and a user would get a feeling of progression. I can't just buy all the gear that's no fun. It's better to get rewards by gameplay.

Every level of the challenges has the same gear. Variety of gear on levels so we can choose what is useful. Lower amounts at high levels is fine. I'd rather get only 2 pieces of needed gear, than 12 pieces of gear I can't use.

Raid drops have no rhyme or reason. Players that register 0 damage get 2 full crafted gear and players in top 3 get the salvage gear(available in challenges) they do not need.

Between getting shard, credits to star, leveling up, mods, ships and more
    It's a misconception that giving the players a few pieces of the gear they need will not help EA fiscally so they don't care. So much gear is needed it won't be game changing. One piece 50 salvage, needing many. That's hundreds, thousands of pieces. Just to see the totals going up with the new influx of characters.

I was really enjoying the game. Acquiring new toons and trying different combinations. Now I just spend all my time keeping up with the meta. Kinda **** the fun out

Thanks for the input. And yes, sooooooo many toons need so much gear that it's insane.

I tallied up the gear I need for the 2 new toons I plan to gear by mid January, and it looks like this:

Chirrut
    1xfurnace
    4xcuffs
    1xstun gun
    1xcarbonati
    1xdesign tech

GK
    3xholo
    6xcarbinati
    3xstun gun
    1xdesign tech
    3xcuffs

TOTAL:
    3xholo
    1xfurnace
    2xdesign tech
    7xcuffs
    7xcarbonatis
    4xstun guns

That's just 2 toons, and that doesn't include any AAT raid gear.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind
  • Seriously, I need like 70 full pieces off cuffs right now, even after crafted many of them.
    I almost need 1 cuff for every toon that I want to increse the gear level, and im not talking about the new gears that will add more 50 cuffs to the problem.
  • The funny thing about this is the players are fixing the game more than the developers. You should not have to make a essay based on how things are messed up in game and even worse to say that you have to make suggestuons because they can't do it without your input. Are the devs of this game millenials? Are they so useless that they can't fix what is broken, but try to distract you with new and interesting things?
  • tRRRey wrote: »
    +1 Eloquently said
    One can only hope a dev sees this and takes appropriate action

They won't unless a majority of paying players quit.
  • Ok, so that reddit post you link to in the OP is from 108 days ago. How have we gone more than THREE MONTHS without a meaningful rebalancing of this issue? While the dribs and drabs of gear from the level 85 bonus boxes and more little bits from things like the training droid theft event are not unwelcome, how are 5-10 extra salvage bits a week going to make a meaningful dent in the 2400 hairdryer backlog the reddit poster describes having back at the beginning of September?
  • E00N
    147 posts Member
    This theme i must bump ! Keep this post up ! thx
  • Phipps wrote: »
    Many 11-12 month dedicated players ftp and p2p have been quitting the game recently for just this reason.

New content is great, however it's worthless when we still have to farm the same gear we were farming 11 months ago. We can't even farm the new gear.

Meanwhile whales have new OP toons, max g11 toons....beyond OP mods that are now unobtainable due to mod nerf....and the upcoming game breaking zetas.

Advice for the devs, all your hard work is going to be worthless within the next 30-60 days unless 100% of your time is currently being spent fixing the above issues.....all f2p will quit since they can't compete, whales will soon follow as player base will grow stale.

Too much dev time is spent trying to rng drain every cent from the player base instead of making the game fun.

Need a throwback @Naecabon 'Shame' post

I will say..... Well said and a major issue.

• +1
  • Agreed. The gear system is the worst part of this game.
  • The devs obviously are clueless. As everyone has stated, we all have 100's / 1000's of gear pieces that will never be used and are left grinding for months or dropping $ for gear we actually need.
    Give us an exchange or sell option ,****
  • Off topic but I'm getting sick of this forums candy bottom (can't say a. ****.) language filter and the scary warnings. Please.
  • I have 11 toons stuck at levels 8 & 9.

Each Needs:
    50- mk5 CEC fusion furnace salvage. Only avail thru raids, stores, & events in small amounts. Total needed 550
    50- mk 6 chiewab hypo syringe. Total needed 550
    20- mk 3 Sienar holo projector. Total needed 220

So I need 1320 gear pieces that are both hard to get and only come in small amounts to continue to grow my toons abilities. Also, the store purchases are random and rarely do I get any of these pieces. This is creating a bottleneck that is stalling my game progression. Can something be done about that?
  • JVU420
    429 posts Member
    I have 11 toons stuck at levels 8 & 9.

Each Needs:
    50- mk5 CEC fusion furnace salvage. Only avail thru raids, stores, & events in small amounts. Total needed 550

So I need 1320 gear pieces that are both hard to get and only come in small amounts to continue to grow my toons abilities. Also, the store purchases are random and rarely do I get any of these pieces. This is creating a bottleneck that is stalling my game progression. Can something be done about that?

You haven't got to the stun cuffs yet. Those are the worse. Lol
  • benacrow
    2700 posts Member
    I have 11 toons stuck at levels 8 & 9.

Each Needs:

Yup same thing, different numbers here.

But yes, just wait til everyone (and I do mean everyone) needs 200 carbonatis, stun guns, and cuff salvage to get to g11. Oh, and that's on top of the furnaces, holos, and syringes, which is also on top of the MKIII droid callers and MKV power cells.

Also, if you want a heart attack and a seizure simultaneously, just look at GK's gear...(spoiler/seizure alert: 450 carbonatis, 150 stun guns, 150 cuffs, 60 holos, 80 mk4 laptops)
  • This is such a well thought out thread. Only need 17 carbantis, 22 stun cuffs, 25 stun guns, and only 37 mk8 biotech implants! That is 5,050 pieces of gear. Wow I am so close!

seriously though... i saved up for like a month with over 100 blue mk5 power cells and palpatine alone used all of them and i still need many more.

Why am i even collecting shards? none of my toons will be usable. just pick a few toons to gear and hope they don't go completely obsolete i guess. I am not spending a dime until they do something about this. i do have a suggestion to at least alleviate some of the outrage.

every 2 weeks (a fair time frame I think), they could put out an event of hard difficulty, but doable for like g9 modded toons (could have a different theme every time or stay the same).

The reward would be one FULL piece of your choice OR random (NOT raid gear). I feel like they could limit our choice to a stun cuff, a stun gun, a syringe, a carbanti censor, or a thermal detonator. All have 50 pieces required, and these gear pieces are used by pretty much every character, sometimes multiple times. You could do the challenge once and choose the gear piece you want, heck even a random drop would be better than nothing.

they could also implement a lower tier, perhaps like level 60+. You would have to choose between the harder challenge or easier, not both (this is reasonable, it would be free gear). this level could reward a mk3 holo projector, a mk5 sorosub keypad, mk6 biotech implant, or even a full mk3 athakam medpak (those things made of 20 mk5 power cells). these are all needed around level 60-70 and would fit nicely.

even with this every few weeks, there would still be such a struggle to get stun cuffs and stun guns.

it's not like this would every be implemented sadly, everything is about money.

The devs should make up for the awful events recently. Tourneys being riddled with cheaters, no one even liking the tournaments to begin with, and this amazing droid event that they hyped up and had us all level our droids in preparation, only to get 1 jawa shard. wow im sooo tempted to spend 250 crystals to get another jawa shard.

only decent events recently was palpatine, which was reused, and k2so, which half the players didn't even get to try. give us something CG/EA. Please.

hell i would watch a 2 minute ad if you promised me a single stun cuff (MORE $, think about it)

• Yep here ya go...
  • Osu_Arkitorture
    24 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    I can't sleep at night having gear nightmares. Was p2p last year this year is the f2p I have given up trying to gear but one toon a month to gear 11.
  • +10000
    SWGOH.gg profile - Our guild, 3720 to 1, has 1 spot open! [49/50].
  • +1
  • This gear problem is still a problem, by the way.
  • Ah, what a great discussion-note to developers. This is indeed the very issue that is making me seriously question the time I've invested in this game (a year playing) :(