Experienced players: Where should I go now with dumping Cantina energy?

Qeltar
4326 posts Member
edited December 2015
By this I mean which tables I should sim. I usually recharge Cantina energy once per day which makes for a total of 30 sims per day. I just got Talia to 5*, an upgrade I felt she really needed as my only dark side healer and my tertiary healer for GW (behind Barriss and Luminara). Not sure where to go next. Possible options:
1. Keep going with Talia to 7*. She's not a primary healer though, so this would be mostly for dark side battles and backup in GW.
2. Chewie. Unexciting but useful character. I do use him (currently 4*) but he's no longer in my PvP starting five, so not sure.
3. Consular. I have him currently at 3* and want to get him at least to 4*, beyond that again not sure.
4. Luke Skywalker. I've seen him hit hard but just can't see him making my starting five, especially with Boba Fett about to unlock.
All of Talia, Chewie and Consular can also have their shards obtained through regular missions, but increasingly I am reserving that energy to farm equipment. Especially now that I am into the "you need 20 bits and pieces for each item" stage. So where I go with Cantina energy from here is pretty important.
Between Talia and Consular, Talia seems a better choice because of her special dark side role, even if she is annoying as a healer. Consular also costs 10 energy per try rather than 8. Chewie I am really torn on. I love using him sometimes, but I can't see myself using him long-term.
Is it possible that either Talia or Consular at 7* would outshine Barriss at 4*? I can't see getting Barriss to 5* any time soon.
Thoughts? :)
Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.

Replies

• Otar
    252 posts Member
    Personally im F2P and doing what people tell you not to do, spreading out my energy on every char, instead of focusing on one. I guess im too pokemon oriented and just have to catch them all!
  • I recommend Chewie just for kicks. He's good for a trash team in Galactic War. Absorb damage, heal up, repeat.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    I may do Chewie because his ability to act as a meatbag with his taunt is going down in effectiveness as I face tougher teams. If I don't keep building him up he will soon be of no use.
    Calling @Slushie ! :)
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    I first got Talia up to 4* (she's actually quite good once she's geared/leveled/starred up), and now I'm probably going to get Consular at least up to 5 before I do something else in Cantina.

I use Chewie too, but at 4* he seems as resilient a tank as I need him to be at my current opposition level. Not sure additional stars for him will be more useful than getting the other characters stronger. I suspect I'll need to replace him anyway with someone more offensive when I outgrow his current strength.

My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • I would start to consider what team you want a month from now...all Jedi, scoundrel etc. i see the most powerful teams as those that take advantage of the faction bonus's. will take time to farm so planning ahead would be beneficial.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Thanks for the replies. I just had my Chewie get wiped out by a high-offense team in GW. Now he did his duty by keeping those attacks off everyone else, but he wasn't up to the task.
    As for my long-term plan.. who knows? The game is brand new and they are going to keep releasing characters that will make our current ones useless. ;) To be honest I am inclined to just keep leveling Talia up because I feel like at some point having several 5* characters will not be as useful as one or two 7*. And I don't plan to farm Old Daka any time soon.
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I would start to consider what team you want a month from now...all Jedi, scoundrel etc. i see the most powerful teams as those that take advantage of the faction bonus's. will take time to farm so planning ahead would be beneficial.
    That's a good point, but there aren't enough "good" characters yet in most of the factions to really make this work. A team of good Jedi seems the most viable, but nearly all of the skills that benefit other Jedi are *leadership* skills, so only one can be active anyway.

• I would start to consider what team you want a month from now...all Jedi, scoundrel etc. i see the most powerful teams as those that take advantage of the faction bonus's. will take time to farm so planning ahead would be beneficial.

I'm with this guy. If you have a couple of strong faction players (Ventress/Talia for me at the moment), maybe you build a full Nightsister team. Maybe you're building an anti-Jedi team and focus on Sidious/IG 88/IG 86 (teams well w/ sidious's increased crit%).

Because we're still on the first run of main characters, it might be good to just focus on one or two characters that can team well with multiple factions (sidious, boba fett) and add them as crown jewels to your faction teams whenever you decide what faction to roll with.
    "....a substantial reward for the one who finds the Millennium Falcon. You are free to use any methods necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration."

Ally Code 889-785-821
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Well that's what I am trying to figure out. Because it's too early to really tell how the factions will play.
    I am just going to stick with Talia for now I think.
  • I say jawa, he is amazing when synergized with sidious, does 25% extra damage, and AI don't consider him a threat, so he freely blasts everyone's face off as a glass Cannon
    At 4* he actually has quite a bit of health
  • I've left my Chewie and Talia at 4* since I don't use them in my A-Team. They are level 60 though so I can use them in GW if I get desperate.

I've mainly focused on Consular with Squad Cantina and have him at 5* since he's in my main team along with Lumi as the 2 main healers.

I haven't really put much effort into Talia even though she's currently the only healer on DS because my DS roster is so strong I can clear most campaign missions without requiring a healer (or I can borrow an Old Daka ally) but if you feel she's a strong option for you then go for it.

I view Talia as a solid damage dealer that can heal in a pinch but I wouldn't consider a main healer due to the fact that if she gets targeted first and is low on HP her heal doesn't do much to help herself.

Consular is a solid healer that does decent damage for me so I'm happy to keep working on him. Plus a heal every 2-3 turns has saved me more than I care to remember in Arena or GW.

Jawa is pretty solid too if you're using with Sidious or any debuff team set up.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Thanks for the feedback. Only thing I don't like about farming Consular in Cantina is each try is 10 energy. But what you're saying makes sense. I keep thinking he's not that good a healer but he's only 3* and has the worst gear of any of my guys that I keep at level. I guess I'll work on getting him to at least 4* and improve his gear a bit.
    Then again I have Barriss and I don't think you do.
    I heard something about Consular getting faster heal cooldowns, it's not on SWGOHCantina yet, can anyone tell me what levels he gets what? Thanks.
  • I am getting Talia to 7. I sometimes use 5 healers in GW. Sounds ridiculous, but sometimes I don't want execution. They rarely die. I try to have ONLY chars with similar energy levels, so one a bit weaker I promote first. This works well, but in the end game, you use all energy to come up with new chars and new strategies. Talia, I focus on improving her main blast to max. The more damage she does the more she heals. The self healing is very important: you can easily farm 400 per turn. And part if effective use of heal, is to not having to use heal to heal just one **** character. Talia is never the problem. But Talia is BAD in a team with only one healer, she is a last resort when she is weakened. Not unique, but Evasion for is good if you use other nightsisters, although Ahkoha grants evasion to nightsister and jedis at full. But she is of little use to me, relatively. Part of the team is influenced by GW, so I can try always get to the end, or get at least 10 yards of character if choice. And Talia is good. Just ensure you max her main attack, to make her self healing pay off. If you don't invest in that skill, Talia becomes unreable and the most at rick character, even if she saves the game, you want her to stay alive. I have used all energy Cantina on her until level 6. Then I will bring consular to 6. The problem with Consular for me is in heavy healers teams, he is weaker and attack is relatively weak. Also, he self heals through Special Attach, thus not self suficient and triggers need to help. This bither me, because u soend a turn to heal, and amny times it's binary choice: ensure hus safety, or kill that almist dead enemy before enemy heals him to max. I hate those moments. Talia will kill always in that situation, and heal enough to survive. Even when your other chars have ability block.
  • I'm doing Chewie to 5* with my Cantina grinding. even if he doesn't end up on my A-Team he will still be useful in GW as a B-Teamer. Even if he's surrounded by punks where their only task is to take out one character. I tend to do that as i can if the opponent only has 1 healer. Most of my current feeble F2P team is maxed on gear so i tend to do the Talia Hard battles for now to get her shards.
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Qeltar wrote: »
    ...I heard something about Consular getting faster heal cooldowns, it's not on SWGOHCantina yet, can anyone tell me what levels he gets what? Thanks.
    Consular's primary power (Saber Strike) at level 3 has a 25% chance of reducing his other cooldowns by 1. This has saved my butt more than once.

• It really depends on who else you have to synergise as to who I would recommend. What are your 3★ and above Heroes?
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • @Qeltar wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. Only thing I don't like about farming Consular in Cantina is each try is 10 energy. But what you're saying makes sense. I keep thinking he's not that good a healer but he's only 3* and has the worst gear of any of my guys that I keep at level. I guess I'll work on getting him to at least 4* and improve his gear a bit.
    Then again I have Barriss and I don't think you do.
    I heard something about Consular getting faster heal cooldowns, it's not on SWGOHCantina yet, can anyone tell me what levels he gets what? Thanks.

I have Barriss. I just don't use her because I think Lumi+Consular is better.

I think Consular heal -1 cooldown is skill level 3 or 4 I can't remember now. Although I've read a few reports that permanent -1 cooldown upgrades are bugged and instead does +1 so maybe hold off a bit on that for now.

But his basic attack has 25% to reduce all cooldowns by 1 at level 3. (this one isn't bugged)

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Oh wow, that is pretty amazing. Okay, I guess I will divert into him. I guess I don't regret getting Talia to 5* anyway, this helps with dark side missions at least. But that is nice. Thanks.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    I'm in the same boat, but I now have Bariss and Lumi so easier for me to stop farming consular and I hate that it cost 10 energy; it makes a big difference and I'll farm Daka faster if I stay with farming Luke. I'm bored of Chewbacca and now that I have a real nice collection I think I'm almost ready to let him go to my second squad.
  • Actually, you get more Cantina credits for your energy with the ones that cost 10 energy... 17 for 10 instead of 13 for 8. But you get fewer shots at the shards themselves.
    The drop rate relative to energy is also exasperating. I just tried 8 times on Consular in Cantina and got 1 shard. That's 16 hours of energy recharge. This needs to change.
  • That sounds just like really bad luck. I got 7 Consular shards in a row just this morning. I haven't run the averages, but it seems like about a 1/3 drop chance. I might consider recording my results over the next week or two.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    7 in a row is more like ridiculously good luck. I have never gotten 7 shards in a row ever on any mode in this game. I just did a full energy refill and got 4 shards in 12 attempts. That is still IMO too low given the outrageous cost of energy refills in this game.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    7 in a row is more like ridiculously good luck. I have never gotten 7 shards in a row ever on any mode in this game. I just did a full energy refill and got 4 shards in 12 attempts. That is still IMO too low given the outrageous cost of energy refills in this game.

Well yeah that is good luck. I've also gotten streaks of bad luck. It's random. Averaging 8 shards per day isn't bad, as we were talking about in the other thread on the same topic. ;)
  • In my case regarding the Squad Cantina Battles, I am basically focused on farming shards using Shipments. As a secondary priority, I sim on games with good shards only. As for shipments, I'm basically farming Old Daka and Boba Fett shards only, upgrading Daka to 5* and then Boba to 5*, then repeat until I'm 7* with both. It's going to be time consuming though as I average 800 Cantina Credits daily as I'll pay the 100 crystals for more energy to sim here for now. At 10 shards per day, Star Upgrades take 5 days for me. In total, it'll take me about 6 weeks to get these guys from their native 4* to 7*.....
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    i have dumped all of mine into chewie. With cantina plus hard battles, you can rank him up fairly quick.

While I don't see him much on my server (in the top 10), he has served me well. Plus the rest of my team minus Lum is dark side, so having 2 all-star light sides helps me progress through the campaign.
  • Slushie wrote: »
    I think Consular heal -1 cooldown is skill level 3 or 4 I can't remember now. Although I've read a few reports that permanent -1 cooldown upgrades are bugged and instead does +1 so maybe hold off a bit on that for now.

Is this really true? Anyone know?