Tarkin, Ackbar or Windu?

which one is better to main as a fleet? "ship"?

Replies

• Akbar if you're new, mace if you have him built up along with other republic toons. Akbar works well with anyone
  • I suppose I can kinda agree with the above. I think the Republic has more synergy overall but what makes Ackbar a good commander doesn't rely on synergy.
    314-187-745 || Event Suggestions | Bounty Hunting || #JuhaniNextJune #PadméPlease
  • ATM, I have to think Ackbar. If you have the right toons built up, you could make the case for Tarkin or Mace. But to farm the teams needed for those from scratch, you're really spreading your resources thin and getting further behind. Until they add more ships, AA is probably the go-to commander.
  • If you have republic ships JC, Plo, Rex, Clone Sergent, Fives, Ahsoka, than Mace is best IMHO. You can literally run out the clock in pretty much every fight on defense. I don't think offense for ships has caught up with defense yet. You can change who is taunting, and restore protection and health pretty much every turn. Then you have the invincibility thrown in as well. Republic has the best synergy in the game, as far as ships go.

Tarkin I would say is last. Most of the dark side ships require a lot of farming for the ships, the characters or both.
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    Galdin_Wan wrote: »
    If you have republic ships JC, Plo, Rex, Clone Sergent, Fives, Ahsoka, than Mace is best IMHO. You can literally run out the clock in pretty much every fight on defense. I don't think offense for ships has caught up with defense yet. You can change who is taunting, and restore protection and health pretty much every turn. Then you have the invincibility thrown in as well. Republic has the best synergy in the game, as far as ships go.

Tarkin I would say is last. Most of the dark side ships require a lot of farming for the ships, the characters or both.

At a certain point you are right... mid 70s... higher level and pilot star/gear you can setup nasty offense. I can now beat Mace teams with higher power pretty easily.

Ackbar... With GeoSolder, Spy, JC and Scimitar is a nasty offense AND target lock combo... You fill with ashoka, either of the Ties (they are both pretty nasty) and boba.

If you have vadar he is a shoo in (vader would work well with mace as well).

With this combo you stealth with Scimitar and select GeoSpy... he will target lock EVERYONE and put some damage down. Geo Soldier will give random assists which are boosted by ackbar.
  • I like tarkin tbh, might not be the best but the tie fighter special ability is cool and sometimes extremely helpful!
  • I am pretty much forced to use tarkin because my ackbar and mace aren't very developed. Also I don't like using ackbar or mace because essentially you just draw out the battle with the bonus protection or the forced taunts and damage immunity... I don't like that play style.
    The good thing about tarkin is that his capital ship is quite different to the other two, it's not about drawing out and surviving the battle, instead it is about dealing large amounts of damage. Out of the three team buffing abilities, tarkin is no doubt the best one if you are looking for damage, as the Aoe offense up almost feels like I am getting double damage for a turn, I end up with my tie fighter hitting over 30k if he crits on that turn with his ability, and even if he doesn't he still does a nice 20k. The easily spammable basic ability also puts out expose, which is nice for that little bit of extra damage, and also synergises with tarkins unique ability if you just leave it there. The main reason I like tarkin though, is his ultimate: imperial assault. This ability is basiclly guranteed to kill two enemy ships upon use, if not more, and if you use it before an ackbar gets their master plan used, it completely nullifys that ultimate (against mace he always seems to land damage immunity first, so I wait for it to wear off), as one low ship with master plan buff isn't enough to destroy two or three. The Aoe offense up is also well timed to come around again the turn after imperial assault if you use it as soon as it first becomes avalible, which pretty much seals the deal.

In terms of which ship is better, I will admit ackbar or mace are better here than tarkin. Their kits resolving around making their team an aboluste pain to kill are very strong, and tarkin simply doesn't do that. Although if you are running ackbar or mace against an enemy tarkin, whatever you do DONT shoot TIE fighter if they have it, he will give tarkin so much TM he will be dropping AoE offense up and imperial assault before you can even say 'OMG of course he evaded'.
  • For time being AA best best...remember the majority of us barely have a fleet period, yet alone a maxed roster to test with. I remember they said the commanders we have now were only the beginning and more was to come. So I digress...

If you want zetas (which is the real reason your doing ships) focus on AA for now and whatever you can to stay competitive.

Side note...biggs/maul/boba/u-wing/fives are the ships you want.
  • Tarkin all the way. I am consistently top 3 every day. 140k power.

Interestingly.... if you look at the rankins there are only 2 people out of 50 using his Ship.

He is just more fun to play with IMO. When more Empire/Darkside ships come out he will more popular.
    I 'd love to be a Jedi... But I sure as hell would use the dark side too...
  • My fleet is best suited for Akbar, but I just switched to Tarkin today. My TFP is gear 11 and his Tie-Fighter is a beast under Tarkin lead.

I am also using Biggs and Fives' ships to get Target Locks, which induce stuns on Tarkin's Imperial Assault AoE.

Debuffed opponents suffer increased damage under Tarkin so Wedge's DoT's on his basic are useful too. I plan to use him as first reserve.

So my starting 5 are TFP, Biggs, Fives, Geo Soldier and Sun Fac. My reserves are Wedge, Ahsoka and Jedi Consular.

Hoping to get my FO TFP up to gear 9 soon so I can use the FO Tie-Fighter in this group.

And, of course, I hope to activate Darth's Tie-Fighter Advanced on New Year's to really beef up my fleet!
  • I want Vaders ship bad too.
    I 'd love to be a Jedi... But I sure as hell would use the dark side too...
  • scuba
    14044 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Ky10Ren wrote: »
    I am pretty much forced to use tarkin because my ackbar and mace aren't very developed. Also I don't like using ackbar or mace because essentially you just draw out the battle with the bonus protection or the forced taunts and damage immunity... I don't like that play style.
    The good thing about tarkin is that his capital ship is quite different to the other two, it's not about drawing out and surviving the battle, instead it is about dealing large amounts of damage. Out of the three team buffing abilities, tarkin is no doubt the best one if you are looking for damage, as the Aoe offense up almost feels like I am getting double damage for a turn, I end up with my tie fighter hitting over 30k if he crits on that turn with his ability, and even if he doesn't he still does a nice 20k. The easily spammable basic ability also puts out expose, which is nice for that little bit of extra damage, and also synergises with tarkins unique ability if you just leave it there. The main reason I like tarkin though, is his ultimate: imperial assault. This ability is basiclly guranteed to kill two enemy ships upon use, if not more, and if you use it before an ackbar gets their master plan used, it completely nullifys that ultimate (against mace he always seems to land damage immunity first, so I wait for it to wear off), as one low ship with master plan buff isn't enough to destroy two or three. The Aoe offense up is also well timed to come around again the turn after imperial assault if you use it as soon as it first becomes avalible, which pretty much seals the deal.

In terms of which ship is better, I will admit ackbar or mace are better here than tarkin. Their kits resolving around making their team an aboluste pain to kill are very strong, and tarkin simply doesn't do that. Although if you are running ackbar or mace against an enemy tarkin, whatever you do DONT shoot TIE fighter if they have it, he will give tarkin so much TM he will be dropping AoE offense up and imperial assault before you can even say 'OMG of course he evaded'.

While the draws maybe true on defense. Mace ship with the right team around it, Vader being the key, can constantly AoE starting on about his second turn. That is alot of damage being thrown out.
  • I enjoy Tarkin the most. I AM biased toward Empire, but Tarkin's BIG ability is better than those of Windu and Akbar IMO. Windu and Akbar need most of their ships to be alive to get the full benefit of their special abilities. Extra turns for everyone (Akbar) isn't as useful without more ships.

Tarkin is different because even if you're down 4 ships to 2, his special will hit just as hard. It will give you the full value regardless.
  • scuba
    14044 posts Member
    I enjoy Tarkin the most. I AM biased toward Empire, but Tarkin's BIG ability is better than those of Windu and Akbar IMO. Windu and Akbar need most of their ships to be alive to get the full benefit of their special abilities. Extra turns for everyone (Akbar) isn't as useful without more ships.

Tarkin is different because even if you're down 4 ships to 2, his special will hit just as hard. It will give you the full value regardless.

If he every gets to use it
  • I use Tarkin for personal preferences and usually target the AA fleets, only attacking MW fleets if I know I can get through it.

I find that if you take a couple AA's ships out fast, it leaves the AI to force using the reinforcements instead of the abilities. MW's fleet will constantly buff and taunt random fighters so it makes it tough to take out the ships fast. Then, throw in his damage immunity ability and it's an even tougher win.

So - if I were playing to win (I go for fun factor, winning is second to me), I would focus on MW, then AA, then Tarkin.
  • Akbar ...tho the lvl of the ships and fleet commander will be the deciding factor
  • scuba wrote: »
    I enjoy Tarkin the most. I AM biased toward Empire, but Tarkin's BIG ability is better than those of Windu and Akbar IMO. Windu and Akbar need most of their ships to be alive to get the full benefit of their special abilities. Extra turns for everyone (Akbar) isn't as useful without more ships.

If he every gets to use it

Haven't had that problem before.