How does Galactic War pick your opponents?

Prev13
The first time I played it I completed it...barely. The second and now third and fourth attempts I can't get past 6 stages. The people I am playing against are way ahead of me. It just doesn't make sense. Has anyone else been able to progress? Do you know how they pick the opponents? Can I make it easier so I can get rewards, lol?

Replies

• Miss_Doll
    258 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I have a feeling that the bot nowadays is way more tactical. They will wash all your healer away with +6000 damage focusing on one healer in a single turn and then your leader. If you don't have the ultimate op healer you don't have much healer left in 7-8 wave
    Post edited by Zalenira on
  • They do focus my consular and talia now. Feels bad
  • Nosnibor
    94 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Miss_Doll wrote: »
    I have a feeling that the bot nowadays is way more tactical. They will wash all your healer away with +6000 damage focusing on one healer in a single turn and then your leader. If you don't have the ultimate op healer you don't have much healer left in 7-8 wave

lol, pretty much
    Post edited by Zalenira on
  • They do focus my consular and talia now. Feels bad

I noticed this in arena also. my poor Talia and JC get wiped much more quickly by opponents immediately following my first Chewie tanking run. Conversely, my offense cant seem to kill their healers in between their Chewie shouts. My noob freebie squad is just not cutting it anymore. I can only hope to stay in the top 2500 to get my 400 "whatever-the-name-of-the-currency-you-get-in-arena"
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I noticed this in arena also. my poor Talia and JC get wiped much more quickly by opponents immediately following my first Chewie tanking run. Conversely, my offense cant seem to kill their healers in between their Chewie shouts. My noob freebie squad is just not cutting it anymore. I can only hope to stay in the top 2500 to get my 400 "whatever-the-name-of-the-currency-you-get-in-arena"

WELCOME TO THE FREEMIUM WORLD!!!

I always advise that people just shoot for the top 2500 so they can receive at least 400 Arena credits, so they can buy at least one shipment of shards a day. Earning less than that will make getting shards a slow and depressing process. You can receive maybe 600 Arena credits for top 250-100 but the rewards may not be worth the work...
  • So a few days have passed since I wrote this. The issue is getting worse. Everyday I go less and less farther in the war. I'm down to 3-4 matches won now. I'm doing everything I can each day but my characters aren't gaining the power they need. So..is this some weird bug or am I never going to complete this again?
  • ive noticed the ai targetting healers a lot more today as well.
  • There was likely a shift in the AI since the mini patch yesterday... it seems to be much more capable of focus fire on all the tables, taking a weak toon down like a human opponent would. It does feel like it recognizes and prioritizes healers. Playing brinksmanship with low-HP toons is more dangerous for sure now... and in a freebie player mode with only Talia and Jedi Consular available to heal, things get very dicey.

I managed to beat GW today at L42 for the first time... a few scary moments along the way for sure. There is some measure of luck in the opponents you draw, so that is another factor.
    SWGoH Ally Code: 988-869-147 GM of [Elite Casual]
    May the Force be with you.
  • I think many of y'all are taking the wrong path about this post. What I mean is how dos GW pick your opponent, not which characters the AI targets. The day has finally come, The first team is so strong I can't get past the first stage. What the heck am I supposed to do? I don't think they realize it progressively gets more difficult each day you reset. It's now become a pointless feature. Even if I dropped 300$ on this game and I was lvl 60 with maxed out characters in theory my first stage would be the same and you wouldn't be able to get any progress. I wish I could get some clarification if this is how it's supposed to be or not.
  • the last 2 days, my final 3 opponents were 10-12 levels above me, so i had to give up.
    today only 2 levels above me so I was happy to actually complete it again.

as far as i can tell its random. but i noticed one team with the name Mol Eliza was like level 48 which i didn't beat at the time, but later on I added someone with the same name and he was only 40? (currently 43 - I just checked.)

so I think they get a buff? which might explain the insanely high level gap the other day.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    It's very random. My first 4 opponents today: level 43, 48, 55, 42. Doesn't really make much sense.
    You can beat teams many levels above you. Look for strategy threads and follow them.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • The first time I did it my opponents were in the 24's as my team was in the mid 30's. Now my first team is in the 40's as I am also in the 40's. I don't understand.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    It's very random. My first 4 opponents today: level 43, 48, 55, 42. Doesn't really make much sense.
    You can beat teams many levels above you. Look for strategy threads and follow them.

I just think it should progressively get harder and not be so random. If we are having to base it on strategy then I am going to have to lvl up multiple versatile characters for any situation which is going to take A LOT of time without $.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    The entire point of GW is that you need a deep bench. It even says that if you try to enter the mode before level 40.
    I like this about it, it means I have reasons to care about more than just my top 5 characters. But I agree that a bit less randomness would be good. It should be more progressive, not 55 and then 42.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    The entire point of GW is that you need a deep bench. It even says that if you try to enter the mode before level 40.
    I like this about it, it means I have reasons to care about more than just my top 5 characters. But I agree that a bit less randomness would be good. It should be more progressive, not 55 and then 42.

From the looks of it on my end is that it is forever progressive. Now that I think about it from where I started it kept going up and then when I reset it picked up where I left off...yesterday I got to the point were I couldn't go any further and now today the first one is right there.
  • Just to chime in, yeah the AI is definitely on to my healers. My poor Consular has never had it so rough. He's barely hanging in there.
  • L45TPH45E wrote: »
    as far as i can tell its random. but i noticed one team with the name Mol Eliza was like level 48 which i didn't beat at the time, but later on I added someone with the same name and he was only 40? (currently 43 - I just checked.)

Pretty sure the teams are randomly composed and named... I know I saw "Mol Eliza" in my (successful) GW run yesterday and I'm only L42. I don't think it's the same "people," anyhow.

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    "Mol Eliza" is one of the default pregenerated names for people who don't pick one, so that's why they are all over the place.
  • Yeah, as we write this, another L38 "Mol Eliza" just friend requested me... haha.
  • I've noticed that the AI is prioritizing Old Daka over Barriss and Luminara. I have also noticed that as EA intruduces stronger players on my arena list that galaxy war is becoming equally as hard so there may be a correlation there.
  • After playing GW for a few days now, it really does seem like whatever team comp you end up beating a node with becomes a possible match for someone else. I personally ran into a 6-7 star 38 level team (3rd to last node, then went up to 46 and back to 43 for last node). An ally of mine posted a screenshot of a level 3 single Resistance Pilot as his last node (yes, nobody else active on the team)... Lol.

I switch teams a lot, I wonder if someone faced my all healer team (Barriss, Lumi, Old Daka, Ewok Elder, Consular) as I was just hitting Chewie to get all my CDs back to 0 and beat that node (maybe 4th or 5th node in).

Does seem to be the last node can sometimes be the easiest as some folks are using backups at that point and that the 2nd to last node is hardest since that's usually when your best team comp may win but lose too many on the way?

I don't know for sure of course, would be good to get some more info on how it works exactly.
  • I have been beatin GW since I was 41. Today was the first time I was unable to.The second node from the end I met 5* epic gear team and I fell. I am currently sitting at lvl 45 with most of my squad eqiping lvl V and VI stuff.
  • Forgot to mention they were all lvl 60....
  • Full epic gear lvl 60 opponent at 7th fight, on a server where #1 is level 50 with blue gear..

Needless to say, I'm pretty ****..putting soft launch people against hard launch players doesn't make any sense but ok..I guess I'll have better luck tomorrow.
  • This question is funny to me personally because I beat it the first time and though, whew that wasn't bad. Since then I have only beat it once lol
  • My advice is flood your team with healers. Keep healing even if you think they could go another round.
  • I'm thinking it just scales the power level of the teams you face as you progress, selecting random teams that fall within a threshold of power
  • It's all random. I'm level 57 and today I didn't have a single opponent over level 49. Yesterday, I had two 56s and average was 50.
  • Davo
    121 posts Member
    amazingly, my GW has been pretty accurate for what i feel like it should be. Im level 60. it usually starts me out against a level 42 to level 50 team and slowly works its way up to nothing but level 60 teams on the last 4 or 5 matches. if it starts me at 50 I may not make it all the way but most days I do finish it. Granted, I have two full epic teams, two other level 60 teams, and a lot of cannon fodder
  • RAMifications
    189 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I agree with Davo, GW has been pretty easy so far. Only once have I not completed it, and it was the only time I have ever lost any characters. Most teams I face are lower level then me (49) and highest is usually low 50s. I did get pretty lucky early on and got a First Order Tie Pilot, and I did buy the original packs so I have had a good team.

BUT! I think the most important thing to have is a REALLY good dmg dealer. FOTP has made my team and often Kills one enemy every round. If not he softens them up for someone else to kill them.

Luckily everyone -should- be enjoying his prowess come January.

EDIT: One thing I have noticed is I don't think everyone is upgrading their gear as much as they should. If you are struggling, be sure to get your top 5 in level 5 gear asap.
    --Nud Stark--