Game Update - 1/28/2016

Replies

• Thanks for the responses and feedback, all.

Glad we're able to get the conversation back on track and appreciate us moving the overall tone of the forums to a more constructive place.

As noted, the bug fix will be reverted starting Monday and then put back the following Monday.

Thanks.
  • A little trick I learned to make my kids not complain about brushing their teeth, instead of just telling them, I asked them if they wanted to brush with the blue or red toothbrush.

Obviously the color didn't have anything to do with how well their teeth were cleaned, but made them feel better about doing it.

Glad we're able to get the conversation back on track and appreciate us moving the overall tone of the forums to a more constructive place.

As noted, the bug fix will be reverted starting Monday and then put back the following Monday.

Thanks.

John, no one is going to see this change unless it is announced properly. People shouldn't have to dig 150 posts deep to find out that you are temporarily reversing the shipment refresh rate cost.

Announcements like this should come from you or Jesse.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/9325/announcement-galactic-war-shipment-refresh-temporary-reversal#latest

A forum member shouldn't be doing your job for you. Please either sticky my thread or repost your comment and sticky that.

Communication is very important to us. You could alleviate some toxicity by improving this.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • John, no one is going to see this change unless it is announced properly. People shouldn't have to dig 150 posts deep to find out that you are temporarily reversing the shipment refresh rate cost.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/9325/announcement-galactic-war-shipment-refresh-temporary-reversal#latest

A forum member shouldn't be doing your job for you. Please either sticky my thread or repost your comment and sticky that.

Communication is very important to us. You could alleviate some toxicity by improving this.

I see your point. I was trying to keep the communication organized by having it all here.

However, it might make sense to pull out a separate announcement.

I'll do that now...
  • John, no one is going to see this change unless it is announced properly. People shouldn't have to dig 150 posts deep to find out that you are temporarily reversing the shipment refresh rate cost.

I see your point. I was trying to keep the communication organized by having it all here.

However, it might make sense to pull out a separate announcement.

I'll do that now...

Thank you.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Done.

And (/facepalm) I realized I could avoid splitting up the conversation by linking the announcement to this thread and closing comments.

Thanks for the suggestion, @cosmicturtle333!
  • Hi new to the forum, just wanna give out a special request.
    "ADD MORE CLONES TO THE GAME! THERES A TON OF EM JUST ADD LIKE 5 or 6 MORE OF EM". Anyways hope more characters flood in and please stop sucking up money and let us enjoy every once in a while. Thanks for this awesome game. Im pretty serious about those clones tho...
  • d3gauss
    311 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Order_67 wrote: »
    I really see alot of toxicity in these forums. I don't think there is anything wrong with the developers calling that out. When players are calling the developers liars, defrauders and saying they are intentionally changing aspects of the game just to mess up players is very toxic and are personal attacks on the professional character of the developers. Passionate doesn't equate to comments like that.

Just my 2 cents.

You add to the toxicity with posts like this. The devs are big boys and can defend themselves.

As your post was directed at me by your wording I feel the need now to add; I believe everyyhing I said, I merely am sorry I got so passionate that I said them. I should have shown more compassion.

One thing you learn as an adult is that what you do is irrelevant, what is relevant is what people perceive you are doing. A better dialogue from the devs will alleviate much of the negative perceptions.

Thanks.

John, we absolutely need new heroes, viable heros, in both arena shipments and gw. Please don't punish the majority of your customer base just because of few trolls and nipickers.
  • And i was so excited that it's a new day now and will be done farming captain phasma, but nooo you ruined everything now, that was soooo ****

I have to agree with u on that its nice to not have to use crystals on everything and quite the coincidence I was gonna farm phasma as well for the last time
  • Anubis wrote: »
    CyberDrgn wrote: »
    Hello all -

We've heard some players were upset that they didn't get a heads up on the recent bug fix to how the Galactic War Shipments are refreshed.

That change was to simply bring it in line with how the other Shipments work, as several players have noted. Some players, however, have convinced themselves there was some nefarious intent behind the change, specifically that it was to stop players from stockpiling the tokens.

That's not the case.

To hopefully alleviate these concerns, we're going to do the following:
    1. On Monday, February 1st, we will temporarily revert the change so the GW tokens may be again (incorrectly) used to refresh that Shipments screen.
    2. We will leave this change in for a week so people have plenty of time to spend their tokens as they see fit.
    3. The following Monday, February 8th, we will put the bug fix back in so this Shipments works as intended, and like all the other ones.
    Hopefully that alleviates some of the concerns.

Thanks.

The original post calls the other changes bug fixes and this an update. You are really saying that this was a bug that lasted all through development, soft launch, and the launch that is just now being 'fixed' to work as intended? Was the original post a lie saying update? I'm kind of shocked at how disingenuous this post is.
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Yah I'm sorry John, I've bent over backwards to give you the benefit of the doubt before, and encouraged others to do the same. But this stretches beyond the limits of my credulity.
    This happened after the GW retreat change too. Another CG person posted very quickly after the change saying something to the extent of "we had people retreating and force closing so we made the change so everyone retreated/reset the same way". Then shortly thereafter the official story was "oh, we always intended retreat to work this way". Even though it had always worked the other way. (I doubt it's a coincidence that this other CG employee hasn't posted once here since that happened.)
    This story is even is even harder to buy. Every single player I know has known since launch that GW was different in this way. I'm sure soft-launchers could chime in on what it was like before, but I bet it was the same. CG has employees who play the game, and QA people they pay to test the game. There is no possible way that they only just discovered this now. Nor is it a coincidence that this "bug fix" comes a short time before a big update with new characters.
    That said, I appreciate the gesture of turning the old method back on for a week, so at least people aren't caught with their pants down. But this ability to save up tokens and spend them later was something special and valuable about GW, and there was no real need to change it. Turning the old method back on for a week before the update doesn't help me a whole lot, because I was saving my tokens not to get the new guys fast, but simply because nothing in there appeals to me. But I'm sure others will be glad about it, and at least you guys have responded to the feedback.
    If anything, the mistake was calling it an "update" in the patch notes, since it is actually a bug fix. I'm guessing it was just a communication mix up between the developers and the community managers.

If you tried to refresh GW shipments without 50 crystals in the bank it wouldn't let you, it's obvious that this was an actual bug, and not some nefarious plot.

Edit: Removed nested quote

I have very cery rarely been below 50 so I never noticed. If this was the case the more Kudos to John and co.

• k0shiii wrote: »
    So, for those of us sitting with non-100 numbers of GW currency (I have 180 right now).... anything going to come along not costing something ending in -00?

It would be a really nice move of EA to round up those non-00 token amounts, so players do not sit on them. Or they could change to non-00 token rewards like in Cantina.

You weren't even supposed to have anything not a multiple of 100. But now, starting Monday, you can round of. I myself will not round of to remind me of the great headstart we had by starting earlier. So what you are asking is solved!

• If we add one, people will claim we did this fix the ensure they couldn't get one quickly. If we don't add one, people will say their being punished (somehow, though I can't figure out what theory would emerge to have that make sense).

Heh. Consider this as professional training for becoming president. We'll find out soon. But why not let a survey decide this? Just as a try, like "Who would you like us to add to GW? A, B, C?"

But more seriously, here is an idea to manage the CO levels. I know sometimes I get sick of whiners. Sometimes I am a whiner myself. Sometimes we all get sick of a particular person that hijacks conversations. Places like Slashdot.org assing people Karma (or Reputation) and one can the put the toxic posters in perspective and sometimes even hide posts below certain credibility.

I know this may not be possible, but if you can migrate to a forum with reputation, people will automatically change the tone, and think about the rest of readers and stay civil. This way, it's also easier for Community leaders, which can focus on communicating and engaging with the player base.

But more importantly this will allow a better representation on who's who and avoid fumes and overamplification of every little thing.

Let us rate posters for the value of their contribution, and cut through the noise by filtering them out.

• Sippycup wrote: »
    A little trick I learned to make my kids not complain about brushing their teeth, instead of just telling them, I asked them if they wanted to brush with the blue or red toothbrush.

Obviously the color didn't have anything to do with how well their teeth were cleaned, but made them feel better about doing it.

Heh. So true. Anither variant is the temporal one. Do you want to go to bed now or in 5 minutes? Ultimately, it's the same, but the choice restores dignity to the little ones, and so too to the bigger boys.

• Here's a solution to your refresh problems log in every 6 hours your awake. If you spent 10 on a refresh it's the same as wasting 100 on the refresh because ud have to do it 9 more times to make that remainin 90 useful.
  • What's with the impossible last-GW-battle encounters all of a sudden? Before the update I used the have mostly very easy opponents, maybe 1-2 challenging ones through GW. Now I had three days in a row lots of very hard encounters (which is ok, I guess) and for the last battle I had an opponent that was 3-5 levels above me, all purple 6-7* chars ... how the *** is that supposed to be possible to beat? this has nothing to do with strategy, nothing with skill, this just makes GW plainly impossible to finish :/.
  • Preemo_Magin
    1826 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Triqui wrote: »
    My constructive criticism is that you should hire someone for the PR aspect. Not everybody is able to do everything, and the skills needed to program software are different than the skills needed to connunicate things. I don't think this post will reduce "toxicity".

Here goes a free advice: first step is to set your goals. If your goals are " to teach them a lesson", or "to expose their sillyness", or simply "vent off the Dev's frustration with the forum", then calling critics "Bunch of Conspiracy Theorist and Toxicity Makers', will help your goals. On the other hand, if your goal is to placate them and reduce hostility, it's not helpful. So if your goal is the later, you need someone able to suck it up, smile, and restrain to cheap shot in the answer to the critics even if they are (or you feel they are) wrong.

Feel free to listen the advice, to ignore it, or to reply to it with a stealthy chespshot included. Perdonally I didn't care about the GW change, I don't have Points stockpiled. I think CG could improve the communication, tho, and I disagree with the idea that "blackbox design" (ie: ehat sre the drop rste, how foes tenacity works, etc) is good for the game. Those 2 are the points CG should improve in my opinion

What @CG_JohnSalera is doing of being very patience, and very open is what keeps me playing, not your advise. So...your advise may not work for everyone.

On top, some users are abusing the patience and being extremely sarcastic and doing every effort to imply bad intention on everything they see, and as a (very good) customer I'd like the repeat offenders to cool down or go away for at least a week.

(Shortened)

• Preemo_Magin
    1826 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Double post
  • Hey guys -

We're way losing focus here. Let's not try to turn this thread into a clearing house of all bugs in the game.

We are in the final stages of testing for the February update. Much work has gone into that update, and I hope you guys will be pleased with what's coming.

We are working on detailed Release Notes and hope to be able to post those early next week (in advance of the release of the update). Last time I saw the draft of the fixed bug portion of the list, it had over 70 fixes. I expect the final version to list more.

Anyway, to those who are saying my post doesn't pass the smell test... there's really not much I can do for you. People cry out for more developer interaction, we provide it, and get called liars. That's honestly pretty boring. We'll just keep telling you the truth and you can choose to believe us or not.

To those who are asking how on earth we just noticed this bug now... we didn't. We saw it earlier and simply prioritized fixing it below other things we've addressed.

A side note on why some bugs get fixed faster than others. The game is made up of several parts. One of those parts is the "client" that runs on your devices. Fixing bugs that are resident in the client takes longer because we have to go through a more complicated and time-consuming testing and release process. This February update is our first client update since a small hotfix build we put out in December. The client before that was the world wide release (which launched in the soft launch countries about a week before that build went world wide).

So, please realize that some bugs which are truly more important can't get fixed as fast as bugs which reside in the server, data, or assets even though those ones are potentially less important. Those elements of the game we can release much faster. That is why things sometimes seem out of order or seem to be taking longer than they should. (And not because we're evil / greedy / incompetent / money hungry trolls / etc. or any of the other fairly insulting reasons people imagine.)

And now, on to what happened here:
    1. People who didn't want to Activate or Promote any of the characters currently available in the GW Shipments didn't spend their GW Tokens. Cool.
    2. They amassed some number of these Tokens. Cool. (BTW - I have no idea how many people had more or fewer of these tokens. It's not relevant. Perhaps someone on the team knows this, or knew it at one time, but it's really not something we talk or think about a lot. Just wanted to clarify that because some of the conspiracy theorists have asserted that their high balances had something to do with this. "You knew I was stockpiling and wanted to punish me!" or somesuch variant. That's frankly story they made up in their heads and has no bearing on reality.)
    3. We fixed this bug and brought this Refresh in alignment with every other Refresh in the game. We didn't message or "warn" anyone about this because we honestly figured it was obviously a bug. Apparently, not cool.
    4. We saw the forums heat up and the toxicity flow. (And seriously folks, these forums are way too toxic, filled with conspiracy theories, and misinformation. I'm hoping we can work together to bring the tenor of the conversation to a healthier, more productive and positive posture.)
    5. We decided to enact this one week hiatus so people who were upset and frankly calling us all forms of insulting things could spend away as they see fit.
    6. Some people rejoiced, some said it was a good move, some still found a way to be upset. I know it's a fools errand to try to make everyone happy, but it is starting to feel like some number of people are going to rise up in fury regardless what we do, change, or add. But that's a longer-term problem related to the toxicity levels.

Almost lastly, the timing of this was not due to any pending update, or additional characters, or anything else. It was a bug, it came up in the queue to be fixed, and was.

Really lastly, I don't currently know when the next character is supposed to be added to GW Shipments (nor which one). Given the tension around this latest fix, I'm not sure whether it would be a good thing or bad thing to add a character.

If we add one, people will claim we did this fix the ensure they couldn't get one quickly. If we don't add one, people will say their being punished (somehow, though I can't figure out what theory would emerge to have that make sense). I need to talk to the team about how we should proceed here. I'm open to (constructive) suggestions.

Long post. Lots of words. Hope it makes sense and clarifies things.

Thanks for reading.

I think I speak for a lot of us that tend to not comment. We would like to see a new player added. Obviously there are some very serious gamers with strong opinions on issues in here. Some of them make good points. This is a really fun free game! I can't fault you for wanting to make money. No matter how much I spend I will never be able to catch the leaders on my server. So I gave up trying. Slowing down the max level updates might help the rest of us catch up, which would motivate us... You don't owe me anything. There is a tipping point where you might lose customers based on the choices you make EA / CG though. But that is no different than any company. Because the game is a grind, emotions run high. I think if you improved your communications with the players by giving more notice most would calm down. Some will never be happy. It would be nice if you could send a message to the newsletter mailbox within the game a day or two before a major update or fix. Is there a way to give us more say in which shards are in the shipments and login rewards? Polls or maybe something in the game where you can pick who is in which shipment once a month or something. Thank you for all your hard work.

Chondrosarcoma- Chondro3150#0907
  • Two days in a row here not being able to get more than 3/4 of the way through the GW. Fighting against 6-7 star lvl 65 characters only half-way through. How am I supposed to get through 50 of these for the next achievement if I can't beat it at all anymore? This does not make the game more fun or challenging, just frustrating and impossible. Lame guys. Really lame. You don't like seeing toxcicity, don't pull crap like this.
  • I think people need to put there phone down and realize this is just a computer game. I've been playing for a month and spent $16 I think and enjoyed it. Up to level 60 and cruising along. People seriously spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a phone game??? You know there are people out there with real problems, like where there next meal is coming from our where they will sleep tonight. By far the best mobile game going around. It's not perfect, but keep up the good work guys :)
  • Terminex wrote: »
    Two days in a row here not being able to get more than 3/4 of the way through the GW. Fighting against 6-7 star lvl 65 characters only half-way through. How am I supposed to get through 50 of these for the next achievement if I can't beat it at all anymore? This does not make the game more fun or challenging, just frustrating and impossible. Lame guys. Really lame. You don't like seeing toxcicity, don't pull crap like this.

I thought I read a post somewhere today that GW was never meant to be so easy to complete..... that's why they changed it.
  • EA_Jesse wrote: »
    [*] Units that are defeated and revived will no longer have buffs/debuffs on them.
    Revived unit should have their turn meter reset to 0, just like an unit got out from a stun.

• So is the token refresh back yet? I still see 50 crystals to refresh and i've already restarted the game
  • Really lastly, I don't currently know when the next character is supposed to be added to GW Shipments (nor which one). Given the tension around this latest fix, I'm not sure whether it would be a good thing or bad thing to add a character.

If we add one, people will claim we did this fix the ensure they couldn't get one quickly. If we don't add one, people will say their being punished (somehow, though I can't figure out what theory would emerge to have that make sense).

Eh... according to your previous posts, I thought CG had always stood firm and stuck to its "design philosophy/intentions" regardless of what people say (retreat in GW being the prime example)?

Hence, not sure why the decision on whether to add an hero to the GW Shipments (or not) will be influenced by and/or dependent on some feedbacks from the forum... Add one if it aligns to your "design vision." Don't add one if it does not.

This may just be me, but I find the desirability of heroes in the GW Shipments relatively lacking compared to that of the Cantina Shipments which is full of highly-sought after names.
  • ce jeu commence à me pomper l'air je suis lv60 et je n'arrive plus à avancer dans le jeu, l'optimisation des personnages prend beaucoup trop de temps que se soit son rang ou les statistiques il faut que cela change en mieux et puis aussi faire attention aux programmes pirates qui traine sur internet qui promettent tous ce que l'on veut pour le jeu absolument tous sans risque de votre part et c'est sûr que cela existe puisse que certaines bien plus faible que moi réussissent à me battre sans difficulté
  • So many whingers and 'entitled' individuals on this thread! If you don't enjoy the game anymore then stop playing.

My 4 year old is better behaved.
  • Kurgen wrote: »
    So many whingers and 'entitled' individuals on this thread! If you don't enjoy the game anymore then stop playing.

My 4 year old is better behaved.

tu te prend pour qui
  • chipmunk19 wrote: »
    So is the token refresh back yet? I still see 50 crystals to refresh and i've already restarted the game

I'd also like to know this, that 90 tokens is **** me off :) cheers for a great game
  • Yup that sounds like an update to me. Definitely not an upgrade, in fact it's litterally the opposite, you're draggin us down. But as to be expected. You know I wouldn't be nearly as upset if yall had gave us some new characters to give us motivation to play more. But noooooooo. Way to be predictable EA!
This discussion has been closed.