Is this the end of the line for me? (F2p struggle)

Unimatrix010
483 posts Member
edited January 2017
So, I'm level 75 now and I'm running a rebel squad. Wiggs, Lando, StHan and Palps - rebels 7*, Palps just 5.

Around the time I could get my hands on Wedge (70ish) I could make my way into top 50 in arena. Those rewards seemed to be barely enough to keep going competitively. Since I rushed Wedge, my mods suffered, I simply didn't have energy for both. Now that I started farming (I can only do health mods but that's okay for now) I realize how big an endeavor this is going to be.

My point is, my competition in top50 is decked out in all speed mods (not the set but arrows and secondaries) and some are several levels ahead of me (one guy is actually lvl80 lol). With the drop rates of mods and the resulting odds in getting the very specific ones I need, it's fair to say that catching up in this regard is not something that can be achieved quickly.

Furthermore I encounter more and more rebels (almost all of the competition is some variant of a wiggs team) who reached gear level 9. I'm at 5/200 mkV furnace salvage for my rebels... Yes, my guild can't run t7 yet.

So basically, my point is: Is there any hope of ever getting competitive again? Remember, as f2p arena is THE source of income. Without it I'm screwed.

Should I just retire or do you guys see any hope whatsoever? Paying money is absolutely not an option.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or thoughts.
Post edited by Unimatrix010 on

Replies

• Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    You will even out in the long run.
    Of course people who pay will be ahead of you right now. Just play right and you can get to the top.
    As for the secondary speed mods. That is all based on luck. Only mega whales/krakens buy mods in mod shipments for crystals. So it's all luck and start farming mods once you get lando and wedge to 7*
  • Sometimes if you wait it out, and don't stress arena too much...
    You can figure out the next ftp meta.
    Worked for me, now running empire, went from top 100 to top 20.
    And my guild still doesn't heroic Rancor EITHER, lol.
    There is hope.
    Do what you like, and forget being competitive, build what YOU like, your time will come.
  • Complete the Defence challenge, - and try to have 4mill credits saved up at all times in case a good mod shows in shipments. I would also ignore refreshing energy (except 50/50 for gear). Try to save crystals and use them to buy rare gear or mod packs. Over time you will get geared up and modded ok and able to beat most people on offence. Also fins a heroic guild. it will take time but just focus on arena team and perhaps some raid toons for better placement in raid (Teebo for instance)
  • Unimatrix010
    483 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Tynnribbe wrote: »
    Complete the Defence challenge, - and try to have 4mill credits saved up at all times in case a good mod shows in shipments. I would also ignore refreshing energy (except 50/50 for gear). Try to save crystals and use them to buy rare gear or mod packs. Over time you will get geared up and modded ok and able to beat most people on offence. Also fins a heroic guild. it will take time but just focus on arena team and perhaps some raid toons for better placement in raid (Teebo for instance)

How is the defense challenge helping? I have unlocked it as well but defense seems useless - do you know something I don't?
  • Jetlife wrote: »
    You will even out in the long run.
    Of course people who pay will be ahead of you right now. Just play right and you can get to the top.
    As for the secondary speed mods. That is all based on luck. Only mega whales/krakens buy mods in mod shipments for crystals. So it's all luck and start farming mods once you get lando and wedge to 7*

But not gaining those crystals will slow my progress down even further. I mean I'm only talking theory here, but those people already have what I still need AND get more crystals every day.

Seems impossible to catch up.
  • Tynnribbe wrote: »
    Complete the Defence challenge, - and try to have 4mill credits saved up at all times in case a good mod shows in shipments. I would also ignore refreshing energy (except 50/50 for gear). Try to save crystals and use them to buy rare gear or mod packs. Over time you will get geared up and modded ok and able to beat most people on offence. Also fins a heroic guild. it will take time but just focus on arena team and perhaps some raid toons for better placement in raid (Teebo for instance)

How is the defense challenge helping? I have unlocked it as well but defense seems useless - do you know something I don't?

Once you unlock it, better mods appear in the mod shop.
  • Carbonari wrote: »
    Tynnribbe wrote: »

Once you unlock it, better mods appear in the mod shop.

Really? Why after unlocking defense challenge of all things? Well alright, I'll work on that then. Thanks for letting me know.
  • Beat tier II and you will get 5* mods in the shop occasionally.
  • The mod shop is where I have gotten most of speed mods. Anytime a speed arrow is in there for credits I buy it. Always worth the investment
  • Just out of curiosity, why is it important to be in the top 50? I've been playing for a year now, have a decent crew, maxed level and still don't crack 100.
    This isn't a job or an Olympic event. No one will ever know if you didn't claim top 50. (Heck, there are days I don't even play arena.)
    To answer your question: either you enjoy the game or you don't. That determines when you quit. Personally, I hope you continue to play. MTFBWY.
  • BigTxFrank wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, why is it important to be in the top 50? I've been playing for a year now, have a decent crew, maxed level and still don't crack 100.
    This isn't a job or an Olympic event. No one will ever know if you didn't claim top 50. (Heck, there are days I don't even play arena.)
    To answer your question: either you enjoy the game or you don't. That determines when you quit. Personally, I hope you continue to play. MTFBWY.

Well, you know, I think you're actually right lol. I mean I am always rather competitive in games and losing those crystals every day is indeed bothering me. But it's probably not the end of the world.

It's this winners-out setting, that keeps throwing me into a panic though. Being higher up in arena yields more rewards and hence makes for even more progress. I guess I overreacted a little though.

I might be able to climb back later, still working on my mods. Might get lucky and pull some decent ones and things could look completely different.

Biggest problem is that I can't upgrade my gear at the moment because my guild is only doing T6 and my contribution is abysmal. It's gonna be a while before I'll get my hands on all the mkV furnace parts I need.

But yes, top50 or top100 - I should have enough crystals for my refreshes and there will be progress. Slow maybe, but steady.

Thanks for making me think about it again, lol!
    Just out of curiosity, why is it important to be in the top 50? I've been playing for a year now, have a decent crew, maxed level and still don't crack 100.

Well, you know, I think you're actually right lol. I mean I am always rather competitive in games and losing those crystals every day is indeed bothering me. But it's probably not the end of the world.

It's this winners-out setting, that keeps throwing me into a panic though. Being higher up in arena yields more rewards and hence makes for even more progress. I guess I overreacted a little though.

I might be able to climb back later, still working on my mods. Might get lucky and pull some decent ones and things could look completely different.

Biggest problem is that I can't upgrade my gear at the moment because my guild is only doing T6 and my contribution is abysmal. It's gonna be a while before I'll get my hands on all the mkV furnace parts I need.

But yes, top50 or top100 - I should have enough crystals for my refreshes and there will be progress. Slow maybe, but steady.

Last week I had a similar experience :) I'm F2P and I found out (the hard way) that there is no way my F2P droids can beat the current Zeta Barris/ Zeta Maul meta. First I was like noooooo!!!!! I can't reach the top 5 in my arena anymore... I need those crystals so bad, in order to stay competitive!! xD Then I realised I should be glad with what I have achieved so far and just enjoy the ride lol :) You are competing with people who spend hundreds of dollars, they should be #1 and not a F2P player like me xD

My advice: try to gear up Teebo, QGJ and Phasma and look for a t7 Rancor guild so you can get those furnaces. With those three characters + your Wedge and Biggs you should be able to do 2 mil damage in p1 Rancor Raid, giving you lots of Raid gear.
    SWGOH.gg profile - Our guild, 3720 to 1, has 1 spot open! [49/50].

Last week I had a similar experience :) I'm F2P and I found out (the hard way) that there is no way my F2P droids can beat the current Zeta Barris/ Zeta Maul meta. First I was like noooooo!!!!! I can't reach the top 5 in my arena anymore... I need those crystals so bad, in order to stay competitive!! xD Then I realised I should be glad with what I have achieved so far and just enjoy the ride lol :) You are competing with people who spend hundreds of dollars, they should be #1 and not a F2P player like me xD

My advice: try to gear up Teebo, QGJ and Phasma and look for a t7 Rancor guild so you can get those furnaces. With those three characters + your Wedge and Biggs you should be able to do 2 mil damage in p1 Rancor Raid, giving you lots of Raid gear.

Wow, getting booted out of the top5 would trigger me even more lol. But yeah, there isn't much you can do sometimes, especially against the wallet-warriors. Still, you certainly can be proud of your position.

My guild is working hard to get us to heroic rancor, everyone is farming up a tm reduction team who hasn't one yet - and so am I.

Thanks for sharing your experiences :)
  • Regarding the mods this is what I do. Weekdays farm characters and on weekends farm mods.

Also don't underestimate health mods. I have some with 15 speed on them.
  • Restart the game and follow one of those 'fast start' guides. Your shard sounds like mine, and I'm the one getting the top reward each day. The thing is that I've been getting the top reward since arena unlocks (can't remember what level it unlocks).

I got my first character in this game up to the mid sixties, and then realized all of the things I 'should've' done when I initially leveled, so I re-rolled, was strong from the get go and from what I can tell the only people who are at my level (a couple) or above my level (two people) have spent gobs and gobs of money on the game because they've only recently been hitting #1 at their payout times and so had to spend a pile of money on crystals, whereas I've been getting the top reward the whole time (and at least for now, I'm still getting #1 every day at my payout time).

Anyway, the only reason I'm able to hit the top spot is because I started over and made sure I did it from the start.

It is far easier to keep a lead than try to play catch up.

Full disclosure, I'm not completely FTP since I spent like $20 total on crystals.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    In addition:

If you complete tier 3 of both the defense mod challenge and health mod challenge you will have an increased chance of high quality mods appearing in mod shipments.

Contrary to the previous comments I would recommend, that you spend all your crystals on refreshing energy and cantina energy and maybe an occasional arena refresh if that would put you in the top—50 instead of top —100. The more energy you spend the faster you level up and gain access to higher tiers of challenges, omegas and such which will help you in the competition in arena — and ofc you get more shards and (non—raid) gear also.

But yes, buy good mods from mod shipments (primarily speed) and either move towards heroic rancor with your current guild or find another one. Speed mods and raid gear will be essential for your further progress.

Lastly: Don't despair. It took me several months of playing before I realized the importance of arena to gain crystals. Nevertheless I slowly climbed the ranks and am now regularly in top—5. So...you can still make it. Just remember to have fun along the way :—)
  • Thank you guys for all the suggestions.

Farmed up some key mods in the battles and doing better already. We also moved on to t7 rancor, so those furnaces should be coming in eventually.

I managed to grip my teeth into the top 50 again. Still surrounded by some way overgeared and modded peeps, but I can manage for now.
  • Jesus man have fun.ya quit if your trying to be the best cause not gonna happen for free.
  • Sometimes if you wait it out, and don't stress arena too much...
    You can figure out the next ftp meta.
    Worked for me, now running empire, went from top 100 to top 20.
    And my guild still doesn't heroic Rancor EITHER, lol.
    There is hope.
    Do what you like, and forget being competitive, build what YOU like, your time will come.

Agreed, never chase the meta if you are f2p- either you have it or you don't. Especially not the Wiggs/Lando meta as it is dying, only 3-4 of those teams left in top 50 of my shard

This discussion has been closed.