Nothing wrong without 7 stars

Sysy
307 posts Member
Here in the forum it seems to me everytime someone asked about whether to get shards for a new character or upgrade what one has, people will favor the latter.

I understand that in this game, resources in terms of energy, gear, and tokens are limited. That is why many favor upgrading what is owned, especially for non-paying players. Their argument goes like this, if you focus on what you have, in the long term (after lvl 55), that is probably 20 days, you can out level, out star and out gear those who invest here and there, in the pvp arena, which is the ultimate goal. In other words, your frugality will eventually pay off.

But but, this argument assumed that pvp is the ultimate goal, and the rewards there are the best. The question is, not everyone agrees with these asumption. According to the statistics just released by EA sports, Bobba Fitt, who is not achievable in pvp rewards, is the character of longest play time in Battlefront. Compared with pve, contents for pvp in GOH is quite limited. People could prefer pve, esp mission progression, much more than the rankings.

The second problem of the questionable "correct answer", which argues for frugality and repetitiveness, is that is it fun to do that? If not, why should we even play this game? Are we playing for fun, for character collection, or for top ranks in one's arena tier?

Therefore, before making decisions on where to spend the scarce resources, one needs to know what he/she really wants.

I don't know how many players who get bored playing Chewy, Consular, Talia etc have dropped the game already, but I feel the need to reassure those who enjoy the unpredictable moment of entering the card draws, as well as spending tokens trying to unlock yet another character like me, there is nothing wrong! In fact, it is these joys and regrets that drove me through the game, wondering what the next adventure is going to be...
swgoh.gg/u/Sysydrexler007

Replies

• Davo
    121 posts Member
    I have focused on gathering a large array of 4* characters more than anything else. sure, I have a pvp team that I do work on promoting but most of my time and energy goes to new characters. I have never been one to play flavor of the month characters in any game.

The problem with pve focus is similar to pvp at the moment. I have a handful of the dark side level 6 hard modes left unfinished and that is it. Really, until level cap or a better dark side healer comes along, those will likely stay unfinished.

On a side note, Barriss did fall to the dark side. Perhaps she can get dual allegiance to jedi and sith. That would solve a lot of problems on the dark end of things.
  • Sysy
    307 posts Member
    Yeah, everything will work out if the Dark side has Barriss.
    I haven't progress to lvl 6 missions yet. But I would assume if you send both Daka and Talia in, and pair with them Sid, Ventress, and someone else who hits hard and has a ton of HP, you should be able to conquer the hard missions?
  • Davo
    121 posts Member
    i didnt fail out of the missions. i just didnt feel like pushing through lvl 65's and up yet. Also, I do not want to be forced to get daka and I am very underwhelmed with talia. she heals much and she dies quickly, preventing the 3 stars anyways
  • Sysy
    307 posts Member
    Alrighty, I don't have Daka, either. But everytime when I am doing a mission, I would love to have a Daka ally to heal me out of trouble. So, mobs in lvl 6 hard are lvl 65s? That is insane...
  • cosmicturtle333
    5004 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I really dislike PVP, it was pretty cool for the first few days then went rapidly downhill. I usually just try to stay in the top 1000 so I get a decent reward, best I've been is 350th early on. I try to stick to two teams of five at max level, but because I'm trying to get new characters to swap out for them I'll sometimes not level them high enough. E.g. my Jawa is level 34, I'm level 44 and so is the rest of my light side. You need a lot of decent level characters to complete galactic war as it would be a lot harder to sweep with just 5 people anyway. So investing in more characters won't be a waste. I'm not playing for bragging rights, I don't want to waste my time trying to be number one when I eventually reach level cap and am strong enough to contest them. If I wanted to do that I'd pay to win now and jump past everyone in my server. I'm just in it to have fun, which means changing characters sometimes and to catch 'em all!

BTW, I pulled a 4*Old Daka in the cromium packs, so it's definitely worth while buying them.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Davo
    121 posts Member
    Yeah, outside of the 5$ dooku pack my first day, I havent spent a cent. Minus a massive price reduction, I wont be spending anytime soon. I'll settle for hanging between 500 and 150 rank. Really, for my bare bones investment, I have 41 characters and a dozen epicly geared. I just want enough balance in the game to get away from cookie cutter squads
  • The best part of PVP is the daily reward. Getting into the 2500-1000 bracket is the minimum though in my opinion because it offers 400 Arena credits and 40 crystals, which gives you the ability to hoard crystals while having a shot at getting Sidious and 400 Arena credits buys 5 shards, which can help you get Sidious in 16 days. Then repeat with Asajj which will be quicker. Finally, you could pick up Savage Opress if you are short of viable characters. In my case, I have Sidious and Asajj already so I'm now focused on leveling them. I am trying to get Asajj to 4* first and then do both together to get to 5*....
  • Skye
    795 posts Member
    Davo wrote: »
    . I just want enough balance in the game to get away from cookie cutter squads

If the galactic war is anything to judge by... the game is fairly balanced..

I don't fear Barriss, Chewie and Dooku teams... as there are significantly worse characters to fight... Namely Obi-wan, Sidious, IG-88 and yes... LUKE! Luke has an insane critical that can pretty much eat half of barriss's health at lvl 45 with lvl 6 gear!

And there are actually more annoying tanks than chewbacca... Stormtrooper Han... taking away your speed meter makes anything dooku or barriss can throw at you makes them look lame!

Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • Otar
    252 posts Member
    Don't talk about Han too loud! People might listen!!! Seems like im the only one on my server "stupid" enough to grab him from arena instead of the "Go Sidious Go" and im approaching top 100!
  • Davo
    121 posts Member
    han goes down too quickly to even matter.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    I've also focused on gathering many do 4 and a few to beyond. Yeah it may hurt soon but I really like having 3 decent squads. I like the diversity and possibilities. Hopefully the devs don't make me pay for it
  • Keaven
    1099 posts Member
    Sysy wrote: »
    Here in the forum it seems to me everytime someone asked about whether to get shards for a new character or upgrade what one has, people will favor the latter.

I understand that in this game, resources in terms of energy, gear, and tokens are limited. That is why many favor upgrading what is owned, especially for non-paying players. Their argument goes like this, if you focus on what you have, in the long term (after lvl 55), that is probably 20 days, you can out level, out star and out gear those who invest here and there, in the pvp arena, which is the ultimate goal. In other words, your frugality will eventually pay off.

But but, this argument assumed that pvp is the ultimate goal, and the rewards there are the best. The question is, not everyone agrees with these asumption. According to the statistics just released by EA sports, Bobba Fitt, who is not achievable in pvp rewards, is the character of longest play time in Battlefront. Compared with pve, contents for pvp in GOH is quite limited. People could prefer pve, esp mission progression, much more than the rankings.

The second problem of the questionable "correct answer", which argues for frugality and repetitiveness, is that is it fun to do that? If not, why should we even play this game? Are we playing for fun, for character collection, or for top ranks in one's arena tier?

Therefore, before making decisions on where to spend the scarce resources, one needs to know what he/she really wants.

I don't know how many players who get bored playing Chewy, Consular, Talia etc have dropped the game already, but I feel the need to reassure those who enjoy the unpredictable moment of entering the card draws, as well as spending tokens trying to unlock yet another character like me, there is nothing wrong! In fact, it is these joys and regrets that drove me through the game, wondering what the next adventure is going to be...
    Check out my beginners guide. It talks about maximising payouts on every table before focusing on the Arena Battles.

The arena table doesn't even have the best payout or enjoyment. It's Galactic Wars, but it is the only ongoing challenge so far.
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • Really you should only be playing hardcore like that if you're aiming for top 10 or a little higher worldwide. And I'm assuming you're still gonna need to drop a sizable amount of cash to do that. A lot of the people advocating this play style ARE top ranked players who have invested good money

Playing your favorite characters will still get you far in PvP because strategy is still a factor in this game fortunately. Which is why I find it fun. Also, many of the challenges give great rewards and require specific character set ups, so you do yourself a disservice there by focusing on the cookie cutter best characters centered on PVP
  • Sysy
    307 posts Member
    [/quote]Check out my beginners guide. It talks about maximising payouts on every table before focusing on the Arena Battles.

The arena table doesn't even have the best payout or enjoyment. It's Galactic Wars, but it is the only ongoing challenge so far.[/quote]

I guess I just don't like being lectured to 7 star one character before 7 star another character. That does not sound like fun to me. The so called end game is actually ending my interest in the game.
  • Keaven
    1099 posts Member
    Sysy wrote: »
    I guess I just don't like being lectured to 7 star one character before 7 star another character. That does not sound like fun to me. The so called end game is actually ending my interest in the game.
    There are 4 main ways of farming Hero shards so you can promote several Heroes simultaneously.

The reason experienced players suggest getting your best/favourites to 7★ first is becaise having these under your belt will enable you to get more, and the resource costs scale very high so spreading yourself too thin will slow you down a lot in the long run.

Once you can field one team of fully upgraded heroes it won't matter how diverse you want to be, until the next update and you are disadvantaged because you didn't scrooge lol.
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • Really you should only be playing hardcore like that if you're aiming for top 10 or a little higher worldwide. And I'm assuming you're still gonna need to drop a sizable amount of cash to do that. A lot of the people advocating this play style ARE top ranked players who have invested good money

Playing your favorite characters will still get you far in PvP because strategy is still a factor in this game fortunately. Which is why I find it fun. Also, many of the challenges give great rewards and require specific character set ups, so you do yourself a disservice there by focusing on the cookie cutter best characters centered on PVP

Honestly pvp isn't *that* expensive (at least right now) I think I spent $30 when I first started (dooku pack, 8 pull chromium and 4 pull chromium with ima-gun di as my only 4 star from those). My rank generally fluctuates anywhere from 9-30ish in my bracket, depending on the time of day. I'm not pouring tons of money into the game to maintain it or anything, I pretty much just use most of my crystals on energy refills each day and farm character shards/gear with that.
  • OwlShaSi
    14 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Or you could just be number 1 in the arena, get a ton of crystals and shards, and then piggy back off that to refill energy and get Sidious to 7 stars in 2 weeks as well as sweep the War board and spam Luminara, then spam off Cantina to get Talia and Ahsoka to 5 or 6 stars in a week+. But that might be just me.

Will say this. It's a LOT easier staying in the top 3 than it is getting there. Hit the rankings hard and fast in a single day and if you get up there just use your 5 battles a day to maintain afterwards.
    Post edited by Hozilla on