What Starting Characters Are Worth Focusing On?

Prev1
As the title asks, what starting characters are worth focusing on, if any at all?

Team Steroid Council Member - "A wise leader knows when to follow"

Replies

• Following!!
  • dauz6063
    73 posts Member
    edited November 2015
    For starting character, jedi consular is one of the best one, good heal, ability to reduce cooldown, good speed, high dmg nuke. He will heal u alot more in galactic battle than any other healer.
  • I think Chewbacca is ok and he's your only leader. His ability works with any team. Sidenote - you can unlock Dooku very early for $4.99 and he seems really really good. If you started with the resistance fighter he also seems strong.
  • ShewardN
    515 posts Member
    edited November 2015
    Ander wrote: »
    I think Chewbacca is ok and he's your only leader. His ability works with any team. Sidenote - you can unlock Dooku very early for $4.99 and he seems really really good. If you started with the resistance fighter he also seems strong.
    As of now I'm focusing on Count Dooku and First Order TIE Pilot, and semi-focusing on Clone Wars Chewbacca.

I also got Jedi Consular, Jawa, Resistance Trooper, Ewok Scout, Talia, Clone Sergeant - Phase 1, Coruscant Underworld Police and Royal Guard. Are any of them worth focusing on?

New to the game and really want to take it seriously so want to make sure I work on any good characters from the start rather than later. Any advice would be much appreciated :)
    Team Steroid Council Member - "A wise leader knows when to follow"
  • Talia seems quite useful to me, looking at her...I'd add her to the focus list along with Consular. Both are capable healers, and have decent damage. Dalia especially since she can heal herself with each attack as well.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • Talia because she seems like the only reasonable heal option for Darkside campaign…or is there another option? So you kind of have to invest in her.
  • Personally I'm a Clone Fan.

I'm leveling up the Clone Sergenat - Phase 1. He is good once you level him up (trying to get to 2*)

I also have Both Resistance Soldier and Pilot.... And I must say the Pilot is STRONG!!
  • The only other healer I've found Dark Side is Old Daku, so until you get there Talia is kind of a must for the Dark Side.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • The easiest characters to obtain that perform well are:

1. Jedi Consular (FREE)
    2. Darth Sidious (PvP Squad Shipments)
    3. Luminara (Galactic War Shipments)
    4. Dooku ($4.99) worth every penny

The fifth slot should be to counter whoever you are facing, a few good options from the Cantina Shipments are Fives, Boba, & Daka. Those are 5 different resource pools to pull from and will give you a decent PvP Squad.
    SWGoHCantina.com - Database of everything SWGoH. Fear the Boot |FTB| - One of the 1st Elite Alliances.
  • After playing a bit and now getting to player level 29, I'd say the following of my experience with characters so far:

- Mace Windu - He's an ok tank as long as you only swing with his basic attack and he often does ok damage when his buff is up but his special doesn't remove ALL positive status effects as advertised. His leader ability is crap unless you're somehow magically running all Jedi at this point. Probably wouldn't recommend long term but at least there are shards available to earn for him.

- Aayla Secura - Again, an ok dodge based tank with self-healing. Not a huge fan of her but she steadily gets the job done. Great when she calls in an assist hit but it really doesn't seem to happen as much as advertised.

- Clone Wars Chewie - Crap. Low damage and despite having a taunt, dies fast at higher levels. Wish I could have everything I spent developing him back.

- Jedi Consular - A solid body character with a reasonable heal and a good Special. Recommended especially since hes one of the few characters you can earn shards for at a reasonable point in the game.

- Resistance Trooper - Great support character. His special does a good amount of damage even at level 26. Just wish I could earn shards to rank him up. May not be good long term but recommended so far.

- Dooku - As said before in this thread, well worth it. Not to mention he does bonus damage versus Jedi which you're sure to see a lot of from here to eternity.

- Talia - A great character for DS Battles and may be worth it in PVP. Have yet to really play with her enough to know whether or not I like her heal.

- Old Ben - Solid and honestly probably one of the better characters in the game I've seen so far. Wish I was lucky enough to have gotten more than just a lousy 10 shards for him out of a pack. His special is where it's at an he has solid single target hitting.

- Bariss Offee - Strong heal potential with her basic hit offering some heal. Her special heal seems super strong. Still not sure if long term there's a defensive PVP build of tanks plus her healing with Jedi Counslar that would be good enough on offense. Seems like she could be the key to building a cheesy defensive squad though that times out your opponent.

- Luke - Great leader skill but seems mediocre otherwise. His special doesn't do enough heavy lifting especially compared to the Resistance trooper.

Just my thoughts now but could change over time.
  • Davo
    121 posts Member
    i consider gear to be just as important as star rating and character level. Whomever you focus on early, keep their gear as max as you can.
  • The more I play the more I think Talia is the safest bet right now, long term out of the characters you receive for free.

• Def nee Talia for darkside. Huge upside in wars. I have won in wars I had no business winning because of here sacrfice heal. And it makes the dark side missions easier for sure.
  • Kylven wrote: »
    The easiest characters to obtain that perform well are:

1. Jedi Consular (FREE)
    2. Darth Sidious (PvP Squad Shipments)
    3. Luminara (Galactic War Shipments)
    4. Dooku ($4.99) worth every penny

The fifth slot should be to counter whoever you are facing, a few good options from the Cantina Shipments are Fives, Boba, & Daka. Those are 5 different resource pools to pull from and will give you a decent PvP Squad.

Follow the pioneer advice :)
    My Ally Code -813-329-945
    LVL 60
  • This is the kicker most people dont realize. Lets say I bought a chrono card and a 2 star tie fighter dropped. Awesome! But wait! How do you get him to 3-4 stars? Buy...more...chrono cards. Unless you have money flowing out your rear he will stay two star till you get lucky enough to get the shards to drop SEVERAL more times. Meanwhile a sub par character such as Jawa or Chewi can easily be starred up through cantina and normal missions. At level 50 a 7 star Jawa will annihilate a lvl 50 two star Tie fighter in equal gear.....everytime. So if you have limited money a team built by using the cantina, arena rewards, glactic rewards shards& normal missions where you can easily attain the shards, will out perform the high end characters that can only be attained with chrono cards and are stuck at 3-4 stars. Make sense?

I have a full 5-6 star crew all non chrono only rewards and I wreck all the 2-3 star chrono onky characters everytime simply because I vastly outpower them. Hope this helps all the people on a budget like myself.
  • I want to add also that I'm sure once you get lvl 60 and have all instances unlocked that all shards will be attainable through grinding. But its a long way to 60.
  • DS - Talia and Dooku. Got lucky and drew Cad Bane in the first card.

LS - CW Chewy and Jedi Consular
    Green_Legend_Ran A storm is coming...
  • WhipiT wrote: »
    I want to add also that I'm sure once you get lvl 60 and have all instances unlocked that all shards will be attainable through grinding. But its a long way to 60.

Actually 60 seems pretty quick to attain. The game hasn't been out in the US for a week yet and if you are a daily player from day 1, you should be 30+ already.
    Green_Legend_Ran A storm is coming...
  • Definitely work on Chewie, he becomes amazing fast with a few skill upgrades, especially an upgraded leader skill which gives everyone 25% chance on defence up for two turns everytime they take a hit, very useful against aoe heavy missions.
  • WhipiT is correct with his thinking. I purchased one pack and ended up with a lot of character shards. I pulled three generic characters I already had. These converted to more shards. It's possible all characters will be available to earn shards for at a later date. The game isn't finished. Once you reach level 60 you will see its only about 2/3rds here.
  • Right now it doesn't make sense to buy data cards, your team will be weaker.
  • Yeah one of the things you have to keep in mind is that the characters are going to HAVE to undergo rebalancing at some point. There's no way they're gonna let characters you get for free outpace or outdamage the characters you pay for long term, it just doesn't make financial sense for them.

I realize they were trying to be cute and make squads with themes like Droids & Nightsisters thinkng maybe people would build decks like that in lieu of getting better characters but I can't imagine that the way it is now is the way it will always be. If nothing else, they'll likely have PVP & PVE events in the future that boost certain character types.

But if the higher star characters really do outdamage the lower star but more desired characters then there's already a real problem with this game's 10 star system. For now, I'm not investing any more than the little I've already put in until this stuff shakes out a bit more.
  • The beginning characters become obsolete aside from Talia once you hit end game and by then Talia will be replaced I'm sure. Aether the star system is working as intended. At the core of the game is stats. Stars amplify all your stats which in turn make you more powerful. A seven star should beat any type of 4 star as there will be a huge stat disparity between the two. The difference at that point between a chrono and a freebie becomes the abilities both direct and passive. So once all things are equal it has nothing to do with what is free and what is paid, it becomes about what abilities mesh together to create a perfect squad. That may be all chrono only toons or a mix of chrono and freebie.

But you can bet for the long term of the game to survive almost all toons will have to be able to be unlocked via grinding to accommodate the ocassional spenders. They are the ones that keep a game developers team paychecks coming not the impulse buyers who drop a ton of cash race to the end and quit. But there will always be those leet toons from the cash shop that will give a player a slight edge for $44.95. And then a few months later that same character will be attainable for free by grinding. It is a business after all.

I
  • Aether
    42 posts Member
    edited November 2015
    WhipiT wrote: »
    But you can bet for the long term of the game to survive almost all toons will have to be able to be unlocked via grinding to accommodate the ocassional spenders. They are the ones that keep a game developers team paychecks coming not the impulse buyers who drop a ton of cash race to the end and quit. But there will always be those leet toons from the cash shop that will give a player a slight edge for $44.95.
    I

So this is pretty well documented and if you play a lot of mobile games like I do, you should know that this isn't true at all as far as is common knownledge. It is reasonably common knowledge that the top 5% of freemium spenders account for the majority of the revenue. Unless you can prove otherwise.

Just take a look at CGs Heroes of Dragon Age which is really mature compared to this game and similar to this game excluding the Shard and gear system. Eventually they created the Nexus, made everything theme based in events and just kept releasing more and more Legendaries to get people to spend more.

Most of these games don't start with the most desireable characters like Darth Vader and Obi Wan being the hardest to get (i.e. 80 shards) and then make it so that you can rank up a Jawa to 6*s in that time. Then when you get them, they come out at 2*s and they get stomped by said Jawa. It seems EXTRAORDINARILY greedy or just short sighted to run things that way.

I think what they were aiming for was progression over the VERY long term and hoping to hook players for a long time. The idea being that you rank up these 1 and 2* dudes and play them til you can get the more elite characters later.

But the progress seems almost unreasonable and lopsided with 10 stars and these smaller characters being able to be ranked up faster. Especially when you consider that some more experienced players here aren't recommending Obi and Vader for the long term.

Just my $.02. I am not set in my view being the correct one as I've only been playing a few days though.

• My permanent 4 person team (for pvp and galactic) is Bariss Offee, Jedi Consular, Talia and IG-86.

I will change my 5th character depending on who I am facing. It would either be Chewie (im not a big fan of chewie but hes good to draw attacks for a few rounds if he doesnt get nuked to death), Cad Bane (awesome anti jedi character and as most healers are Jedi's its safe to tie someone up for 1 to 2 rounds with stun) also Asaji Ventress (% stunner on atk and can remove buffs) and the Melee Nightsister as she can crit pretty nicely.

But in saying that I'm pretty much a freemium player.

Also I should mention. The more stars your character has the better it is. Gear helps, but you should focus on Promoting your characters.
  • Again in summary, the cash only characters that people pay money for, will be very quickly out geared and out leveled and destroyed by 7* Jawas because there is no path for advancement. I hope they change it or else there is no sound reason to purchase a random pack that is filled with characters I can't advance.
  • WhipiT
    591 posts Member
    edited November 2015
    The business model I can almost guarantee EA uses will allow all almost all characters to be unlocked at some point in the future through the game. Its the casual spenders that keep all these games afloat over the long term. You have to entice the player to log on and give him a goal to work towards. This game isn't even close to finished so be patient and you'll see everything will be attainable somehow.
  • @Aether There's a huge diff between freemium and casual spenders. I never mentioned a freemium. I said ocassional spender. They can spend thousands of dollars over a long period of time. The people that drop several hundred dollars in the first week of the game are called impulse buyers. They race to the top enjoy overpowering until ocassional spenders start narrowing the advantage. Then they get **** that there money couldn't buy them invincibility and they quit. No more income. But the occassional spender remains occasionally spending. In this game I don't think there will be some unbeatable crew you can put on your credit card. Money will just attain it faster. I've invested little over 50 dollars and it was well spent so on occassion I will buy more.
  • It all depends, OP. Talia is great, but I also pulled Old Daka 4* from a bronzium pack (which I didn't even know was possible, but I'll take it) so that synergy makes her even more valuable. Chewie seems mediocre but maybe will scale better with star upgrades, his ability set is pretty nice for being a meat shield. Jedi Consular also works well early on, but I only use him in Light Battles currently.
    My PvP and arena roster is Daka, Talia, Chewie, Dooku, and Plo Koon.
  • Yah I pulled a 3 star Fives from bronze this morning as well.