Assault Battles: Ground War Discussion

CapGaSP
313 posts Member
edited January 2017
Assault Battle: Ground War will be running for the first time in February. As stated in the announcement, it has the following parameters:
  • Unlocks at level 75.
  • Two tiers, Tier 1 (Hard), and Tier 2 (Bonus Tier).
  • As with Military Might and Forest Moon, this event is a series of 8 sequential battles with escalating difficulty, new mechanics, and a special event ability added which can be used strategically to aid in completing the event.
  • The required units are any combination of Resistance, Ewoks, or Ugnaught. This means you can mix and match from these however you want, and there are multiple ways to complete the event.
  • Rewards include shards of all Separatist units, credits, and gear.
  • The event can be replayed one time with no cost each day it runs. Additional attempts can be acquired with crystals.
  • Attempts/wins are not shared between tiers. Refreshing Tier 1 does not refresh tier 2, and vice versa.
  • There is an associated achievement which awards 10 Darth Vader shards and 5000 Ally Coins. It requires completion of Tier 1

The associated event power is called "Stand Aside" and does the following:
Drain 100% TM from all allies. Gain 100% TM immediately. Gain Speed Up, Offence Up, and +100 Potency for 2 turns. Gain Evasion down for 3 turns.

As with other Assault Battles there are unique mechanics to learn, and this event is intended to be a challenge.
Designer of all things Events for SW:GoH.
reddit: /u/Capgasp
I don't reply to attacks or negativity. Keep it civil.

Replies

• gunff
    287 posts Member
    does the achievement have the $1m prize associated with it as well?
  • Grandepatron
    103 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    We could use a Bespin factin Lobot, Lando, and Ugnaught together. That could be cool. Seems kinda strange to have factinless characters that have to be called out by name. Being as Ugnaught is ok against droids and three droids are separatists he could be useful.
    Love SWGOH and want to keep it great! YouTube: Reality Skewed Gamers
  • We could use a Bespin factin Lobot, Lando, and Ugnaught together. That could be cool. Seems kinda strange to have factinless characters that have to be called out by name. Being as Ugnaught is ok against droids and three droids are separatists he could be useful.

Nice try in squeezing Lando into the list of allowable characters for the event ..I support this!
    =)
  • It says "Stand Aside" removes ALLIES TM, is that correct? Because that's dumb...
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    It says "Stand Aside" removes ALLIES TM, is that correct? Because that's dumb...

What if you are chief chirpa and your special is on a 1 turn cooldown?
    Or EE and all your chars have low TM?
    Still mostly useless though.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Any news on who the enemies will be?
    314-187-745 || Event Suggestions | Bounty Hunting || #JuhaniNextJune #PadméPlease
  • Push2Stops wrote: »
    Any news on who the enemies will be?

B1, B2 battle droids, count dooku, ventress, nute gunray and grievous
  • I feel like it should require Jedi and Republic so that it would make sense. At least the other made sense.
    P.S. Where's Padme?!
  • I feel like it should require Jedi and Republic so that it would make sense. At least the other made sense.
    P.S. Where's Padme?!

I agree it should be clones and Jedi. If we have a random mix of characters the opponent should have a random mix it just seems weird otherwise.

It does mean some of my less used characters will see the battlefield so I guess that's something :|
  • Assault Battles are fundamentally meant to provide an interesting challenge, reward deep roster development, and give players something to use non-meta teams for. I choose the allowable factions based on what I think would be fun, and design a power specifically for them to help with this.

It is also worth noting that our game is decidedly NOT cannon. Galaxy of Heroes is a game within a game.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Stand aside not working as described
    No speed up or offense up no evasion down.

bBWHr3y.jpg
  • scuba wrote: »

bBWHr3y.jpg

It works, it's just not showing all the icons. I did that on purpose to reduce icon spam. Although now playing it on my phone I am seeing a bug with the icon rollover stretching vertically so you can't inspect the buff. Is anyone else seeing this?
  • My opinion... <3

This was a blast.. thank you.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    CG_CapGaSP wrote: »
    scuba wrote: »

bBWHr3y.jpg

It works, it's just not showing all the icons. I did that on purpose to reduce icon spam. Although now playing it on my phone I am seeing a bug with the icon rollover stretching vertically so you can't inspect the buff. Is anyone else seeing this?

Normally would ad least see the word pop above their head. Speed potency physical damage special damage etc. All I see is potency.

• scuba
    14034 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    scuba wrote: »

bBWHr3y.jpg

Guess the offense gain isn't the normal 50% offense up. Was just expecting more

No stand aside.
    QEZMN9C.jpg
    With stand aside.
    69jBtWk.jpg

The buff info looks normal to me
    lKSmhs6.jpg

Definitely fun and challenging event. May finish the bonus tier when mod management gets better or I finish my resistance squad.
  • Aside from people that have everything else leveled... who the crap wastes times leveling Ewoks man?!?! -_-
    Last time I checked there were no resistance OR ewoks that fought separatist troops. Just boning people out of Grevious shards and credits lol.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Too add bouns tier feels like the old dodge meta
  • I love the event, it was challenging for my G10 Resistance team. However Zeta Finn lead would make this event trivial.
  • I dont get these events if you dont allready have nearly maxed teams for them, since rewards are joke compared to resources spend to gear up them from low lvl or lvl1 chars.
  • I have some frustrated feedback on this event. I was able to 2* the first stage with only Resistance. All 7*, Finn is G11, Trooper and Rey are G10, Poe and Pilot are G8. Pretty good mods on most people, though Rey's mods are old and could be better. Total team power was something like 39k-40k. But no chance on the bonus round. I made it to stage 8 once or twice, but that was when I subbed in G10 Teebo and Ewok Elder for Poe and Pilot to get a little more durability. And I would just get BLOWN AWAY on stage 8, and sometimes even stage 7.That was the first day.

Then Sunday came, and I got my last two zeta mats and put my first zeta on Finn. Ohhh boy, this should be fun, I thought!

Much to my disappointment, I couldn't get any further with a zeta Finn Resistance team than I could before. I think I managed to kill one or two of the mobs on stage 8 before I got demolished.

The most frustrating elements stem from a few problems:

1) Invoking Stand Aside guarantees that I'm going to lose one or two of my characters in the aftermath. Invoking it with Rey, for example, means she gets two good hits in, but it was a critical strategic mistake to think I could do that at the beginning of a stage to "even the odds" by taking out a few of the baddies in short order. The problem is that setting all of my allies turn meter to 0 means not that the enemies would get an extra turn before I got one, but that they usually got TWO or even THREE turns before my characters could move again. The B1 droids appear to have some skill that gives them 20%-30% turn meter on their basic pretty regularly, and they all have maybe 220-270 speed. Additionally, I couldn't verify it with a video, but there were several instances where I swear I saw the B1s simply getting an extra turn --- not an assist, mind you. But they would fire, their turn meter filled up to about 20%, and then they would go again and their turn meter would fill up more to about 40%. The shield droids also get to do Protection Up AND shoot in the same turn. So with all of their extra turn meter gains and unmatchable speed, they would always get 2 turns before my "stood aside" characters could move to heal (Ewok Elder) or try to get the team moving again with the Resistance+FinnZeta Expose=Turn Meter dynamic.

2) Expose is bugged so that you can never apply Expose if you're hitting someone who is exposed. This is a known bug (or at least I'm pretty sure I saw it acknowledged somewhere), but here it means that I often had the choice for Pilot or Trooper to hit an exposed enemy to grant the team turn meter, OR to hit a non-exposed enemy to try not to waste the chance to expose on Pilot's special or Trooper's basic.

3) Resistance is extremely weak on healing. Finn sort of does heal over time on himself, but it comes at the tradeoff of not using one of his very valuable attacks. Nobody cares if Bariss or Ewok Elder or Ackbar spend a heal because they hit for tiny damage...but making Finn the only healer is painful. Also, Poe has a dynamic where he can heal on resist, which might have been useful if the event actually had any debuffers other than one Nute Gunray, one Poggle, and a Dooku/Ventress at the end (who don't debuff all that often anyway). So Poe basically never heals.

4) Enemy tenacity seemed surprisingly high in this event. I ran a few attempts with Teebo and his turn meter reduction got resisted enough to really hamper me. (His potency is 66%).

I don't know if I would have done better with a zeta on Rey because she one-shots all the weaker enemies, and Dazing just one or two enemies doesn't seem like it would put enough of a damper on the rampant turn meter gain and assists that get called. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll try to have her zeta'd up and get Poe and Pilot up to G10 and Trooper and Rey to G11 (ugh, raid gear for her) to see if that does it. But frankly I'm not optimistic, given that the core challenge with this event is that Resistance isn't really equipped with the tools to deal with what makes the enemies most powerful -- speed, turn meter gains, assists. Resistance has only single-hitters, only one stunner, only one dazer...
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    In short - I hated this event.

Wrong tools for the job and selection of tools/toons didn't make any sense.

Should be jedi and clone toons for this event.
  • I do not understand why Ewoks and Resistance characters have been chosen for this event. All other events make sense except this one. If I remember correctly, Jedi and Clones fought the separatists not Ewoks and Resistance... Were the dev. drunk when it came to assign the characters ? ;-)
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    I do not understand why Ewoks and Resistance characters have been chosen for this event. All other events make sense except this one. If I remember correctly, Jedi and Clones fought the separatists not Ewoks and Resistance... Were the dev. drunk when it came to assign the characters ? ;-)

Droids made sense vs ewoks?
    Clones made sense vs empire?
    FO makes sense vs jedi?

There is also this answer provided by CapGaSP towards the beginning of the thread.
    Assault Battles are fundamentally meant to provide an interesting challenge, reward deep roster development, and give players something to use non-meta teams for. I choose the allowable factions based on what I think would be fun, and design a power specifically for them to help with this.

It is also worth noting that our game is decidedly NOT cannon. Galaxy of Heroes is a game within a game.

• Level 75+
    Allowed units:
    - Jedi characters
    - Ewok Characters
    - Ugnaught
    ---
    Gear Level 8 or higher, 5-Star or higher and mods.

I have level 85 Jedi characters all gear 8+, all 7* and all but one has mods maxed. Still can't beat tier 1.

Closest I've gotten has been one hit away, when I got stunned then taken down. Trying to figure out strategy for this one.
  • Depends on what your squad is, any rand9m Jedi won’t exactly work , also, what kinda mods you have.