Censorship

Vodo
332 posts Member
I wonder why there is so much censorship on this board? EA is an american company, right? Is CG maybe chinese? That could explain why even words like "the christian opposite of heaven" are censored.

Replies

• You're not wrong.

EA is an American company (I actually don't know), and its base is in the USA.

CG's office and base of operation is in the West Coast. Maybe CG has a Chinese branch, but it runs independently from main-CG. I honestly don't know.

I agree that many words are censored such as your example. Just don't use it. It has an auto-censorship filter, so let it do its job. However, main curse words are against TOS and every one has to abide by the rules.

FashionFett.
  • What really irks me is that you can't say stoopid. I mean how could that be at all interpreted as a swear word by anyone.

Other than that I completely understand everything. We should be constructing well thought out arguments, debates, comments etc. Not hurling insults.

Oh, also you can't say grammar ****.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I couldn't even say C.O.C (without the dots). which is not the word the filter thought it would be :(
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • While I disagree with word filters as a matter of principle and actually do swear like a sailor who stepped on a Lego brick in the night, I can see the use in them keeping the most offensive slurs in line. But the filter here is way out of proportion. The fact that I can't refer to decisions made by the AI in a battle with a wide array of words meaning "the opposite of smart" is basically hindering communication.

Again, I'm not asking to be able to swear up and down all over the place, but it would be nice to not filter utterly common, non-offensive words.
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    It's clear they have that filter set pretty strict but it doesn't bother me at all. It's EAs world here in the forum and having these protections in place is good business practice. I administer Websense and other products that filter content so when I setup these systems, I usually set them strict like this because it protects the business from having distasteful content on it's servers and also protects workers from accidently opening content that may not be suitable for the workplace....
  • It is silly, but hey it is what it is. My only beef is when it censors the word for **** that does not start with S or the example by the OP and you get a warning letter from someone. It's like please you hear the one in church,lol. It is what it is though.

Remember we here in the US have gone from the land of the free and home of the brave to the land of the censored and home of the offended.

Cheers all.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    It is silly, but hey it is what it is. My only beef is when it censors the word for **** that does not start with S or the example by the OP and you get a warning letter from someone. It's like please you hear the one in church,lol. It is what it is though.

Remember we here in the US have gone from the land of the free and home of the brave to the land of the censored and home of the offended.

Cheers all.

Lol. Love it. So true. It's cool to be offended by everything and political correctness is the only way to go.
  • Ugh, when I said i like Dooku because he ”p***** everyone off" I was a bit surprised that it was sensored. But whatever, no big deal. What shocked me was receiving a vulgar language warning from the moderator for it.
    Ally Code: 253-747-318