The Citadel Pack (Comments and Questions) ***MEGATHREAD***

Replies

• So given your numbers how much money did they make? Are you f2p or p2p?
  • DrD
    91 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Mike1980 wrote: »
    So given your numbers how much money did they make? Are you f2p or p2p?

It's hard to tell on total money, as I don't know how large the total userbase is. And I personally am a former whale transitioning to being mostly f2p. I did not buy any of these packs.
  • Good work D. Thanks for taking the time.
  • 50 people spent 1000 =50k
    15 people spent 500 =7500
    40 people spent 250 =10k
    185 people spent 100 =18500

So that's about $85k in a sample of 35000 people out of millions who play or have downloaded. But you think a higher percentage on swgoh spent money than the general population. They have to bring us new content anyway or we quit playing, this is on top of subscriptions, crystal purchases for refreshes, miscellaneous data cards etc. I'm guessing they made a good 500k-1mil on this. And it's still in the data card store for the rest of the month.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to show them? Maybe that their plan worked?
  • 13 out of 10,000 is 1300 out of 1 million. That's $130,000. They made a little more than half their money on people who 7* characters. So they made $250,000 out of every 1 million players.
  • DrD
    91 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    You're being much too generous in thinking there are 950k spenders out there without a synced GG account.

You also are ignoring that if the pack had cost 1000 and 10x more of them were bought as a result, they'd have made 3x the money and **** off far fewer people.
  • DrD wrote: »
    You're being much too generous in thinking there are 950k spenders out there without a synced GG account.

You also are ignoring that if the pack had cost 1000 and 10x more of them were bought as a result, they'd have made 3x the money and **** off far fewer people.

Not true. Yes they will sell more packs. 10x the people will not 7* the characters. 10x the people may buy enough packs to get them to 4 or 5 stars. There's a portion of this game that is freemium and relies on micro transactions and people buying the subscriptions and the vaults and chests. And then there's a portion of this game that is a luxury and serves the big whales out there. Spending is not as linear as you make it out to be.
  • Yes, it is true. The Citadel Pack is actually cheaper than the last R1 Pack for a spender looking to 7* Krooper. It's funny how a "higher" price tag seems to blind even the most rational person. This, if anything, is a marketing misstep.

Rogue One Pack / 1,199 crystals
    -7 drops* of 2-10 shards of K2, Cass, Baze, Chirr, Bistan, SRP, ShT
    -Mats
    -Credits

Citadel Pack / 2,999
    -5-30 shards of Krennick and Deathtrooper,5 guaranteed
    -Mats
    -Omega
    -Credits

R1 pack appears better BUT when you bought these packs you would find that 5/7 drops were SRP (cantina) and Baze (free pack). The remaining 2 drops averaged 1-3 shards between the remaining 5 toons--Baze, Chirrut, Cassian, K2, ShT. The Citadel Pack guarantees 5 shards per toon--so it is actually cheaper than before to 7* a premium toon. Another major benefit is that you don't have to worry about having an excess of shards in the shard shop. For example R1 could have been extremely wasteful if you had K2 or any of the tournament toons. I guess if you wanted to buy Greivous in the shard shop it would be mitigated somewhat. Baze was in the shard shop as well but that was still a waste as he kept dropping and taking precious shards in the R1 pack (that's also if you didn't have him already). Also note omegas are included in the Citadel Pack and purple mats drops are far better.

When you rationally look at the cost of the R1 pack, Baze in Chromium, Shoretrooper--the Citadel Pack is cheaper than all of them. Especially without wasting shards. If Citadel was launched at the same unit price but halved for 1,499 with 2-3 guaranteed shards (same thing), there wouldn't be any issues at all.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/82872/rogue-one-pack-misleading-facts-inside#latest
  • Mike1980
    482 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Ok so what is the cost to get 7 7* toons from the rogue one pack, using excess shards to purchase K2so in the shard shop x 2/7 vs the cost of 2 7* toons in the citadel pack. You need to have an equation and do the math and to back up this claim

I'm not trying to be a ****, I'm curious as to what the answer to this question actually is, with a mathematical analysis to prove which is the better deal.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Is it cheaper on a crystals per shard basis? yes. Is it still ungodly expensive? Yes. You can't justify 10 shards for 20$ by saying it's a better deal than the Rogue One packs. Also 2-3 shards for 1499 would still be too much. And I don't think they were many people saying the Rogue One booster was a fair deal.

Doesn't matter anyway, the packs were a success. They were actually dozens of players that dropped 900$-1000$ a piece on these characters. Proving they don't need to fair prices for profit. This is the new price of packs, Nihilus and whoever else get's added soon, will have 900$ price tags.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Just wanted to throw in 2 numbers for playerbase estimations. Obviously these are no indication of spending grade and there are many factors to even close up on a number.

My newly heroic capable guild swam between 400-600th guild spot when we were constantly melting normals (almost 30k daily income). So HAATers are somewhere around 20k-30k players.

I have an alt on an almost no capability guild with 36 players, 50 raid score, tier 6 rancoring and only doing normal aat every few weeks. Rank is 8920. Discounting new players I consider this the bottom line of active players as less than this would mean really casual, less frequent players. 450k players above this line.
  • Osisiv wrote: »
    Yes, it is true. The Citadel Pack is actually cheaper than the last R1 Pack for a spender looking to 7* Krooper. It's funny how a "higher" price tag seems to blind even the most rational person. This, if anything, is a marketing misstep.

Rogue One Pack / 1,199 crystals
    -7 drops* of 2-10 shards of K2, Cass, Baze, Chirr, Bistan, SRP, ShT
    -Mats
    -Credits

Citadel Pack / 2,999
    -5-30 shards of Krennick and Deathtrooper,5 guaranteed
    -Mats
    -Omega
    -Credits

R1 pack appears better BUT when you bought these packs you would find that 5/7 drops were SRP (cantina) and Baze (free pack). The remaining 2 drops averaged 1-3 shards between the remaining 5 toons--Baze, Chirrut, Cassian, K2, ShT. The Citadel Pack guarantees 5 shards per toon--so it is actually cheaper than before to 7* a premium toon. Another major benefit is that you don't have to worry about having an excess of shards in the shard shop. For example R1 could have been extremely wasteful if you had K2 or any of the tournament toons. I guess if you wanted to buy Greivous in the shard shop it would be mitigated somewhat. Baze was in the shard shop as well but that was still a waste as he kept dropping and taking precious shards in the R1 pack (that's also if you didn't have him already). Also note omegas are included in the Citadel Pack and purple mats drops are far better.

When you rationally look at the cost of the R1 pack, Baze in Chromium, Shoretrooper--the Citadel Pack is cheaper than all of them. Especially without wasting shards. If Citadel was launched at the same unit price but halved for 1,499 with 2-3 guaranteed shards (same thing), there wouldn't be any issues at all.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/82872/rogue-one-pack-misleading-facts-inside#latest

Both of them are really expensive. It's that the new is more consistent on what you get, which is not a whole lot.
  • theHejiN
    659 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Seems like their greediness got zeta'd.

Fun fact: players still think they are farming Star Wars characters, but actually EA/CG is farming players
  • theHejiN wrote: »
    Seems like their greediness got zeta'd.

Fun fact: players still think they are farming Star Wars characters, but actually EA/CG is farming players

If farming means getting more of something, I doubt they are getting more players with these packs.
    "EA/CG is milking whales" would be a more accurate analogy.
  • So.... a pack for 2999 crystals is 20$ and contains 5 shards?

so 20$ for 5 shards seems insane for me , sure 100$ for a maxed char would be a great bargin but asuming 65 krenik that leaves 85+100 = 185/5= 37 times 20$ (asumming horible RNG at 5 shards per buy) would be 740$ to max the characters

Now I'm not complaining or anything I'm sure someone will buy it I'm just saying that seems a bit high...

maybe it comes down to 500$ with the 30 drops thing... but is it just me, price is way to high for 5 shards
  • I'd state my opinion on this, but knowing this forum, i'll just get a warning and my posts will be moved to Forum Trash.
  • CoReTeX wrote: »
    will be moved to a megathread

Fixed.
  • MisterStrange
    19 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Weaver9 wrote: »
    Just want to remind people again that this isn't the end of days, it just a high price point for a pack.

As a company it is absolutely necessary for them to test out different price points.

Dear Weaver, i just want to remind you, that we have also other things on planet earth. For example something called moral behavior. Using the word "absolutely" in this context ... wow. Like they haven't had any other chance than doing this. pfff.
  • Mylan, the maker of EpiPen, tested a new price point. They're not doing so well now. A quick Google search will give you the details...federal investigation, antitrust violations, dropped by Cigna...just to name a few of the repercussions they now face. And they raised the price of their product to $600. This product SAVES LIVES.
    Anyway, I digress. I have not, nor will I ever buy a pack with such an inflated cost. This whale has been beached.
    Check out my swgoh.gg profile DISCORD = L0RD W0LFE#2537 LINE ID = lord_wolfe
    "Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save your friends." - Lord Vader

https://swgoh.gg/u/l0rd%20w0lfe/
  • This pack is an absolute smack in the face to the user base. We aren't even talking any F2P garbage here. This is just a topic among spenders. The costs of many things have been high for some time. This pack is beyond a paywall. It's an insult. Every time they release a pack, the price is inflated over the previous. Well the backlash this time looks like the spending base finally said, this is garbage. And it is. They keep releasing character, and then give people no way to even get them, including buying packs. All the Rogue One rebels? Where are they? Are we supposed to just have them at 3* forever?

This is like the fleet mega pack, where you spend 2500 crystals with illusions of grandeur that you could get Falcon Blueprints, when you end up gettnig 5 shards of 4 characters you already have and 5 shards of their ships. YOu don't get Falcon shards, or Slave 1 shards, you Get Jedi Consular shards, and Geonosian Soldier shards.

Now they want us to spend 3000 crystals on a few prints of vaders ship and another ship we won't get past 3* for 6 months unless we buy a ton of 3000 crystals packs. You can also now buy 5 shards of Krennic and 5 of Death trooper for 3000 Crystals(Lets be real, you are getting 5 shards each).

They finally crossed the line. The guy who used the epi-pen example, perfect. The finally raised the price so high, that instead of having overly high prices, the price now is astronomical and people are mad. You want to charge 3000 crystals for a pack? Then why don't you start fixing some things like CHEATING. You let what like 10-12 tournaments run with rampant cheating, keeping honest players from better rewards, and let a ton of cheaters gain. Now you want me to spend 3000 crystals for 5 shards of 2 characters? You are out of your GD mind.
  • phatphil3 wrote: »
    Can we please stop with the bashing of the devs in this situation? It is getting nobody anywhere and frankly won’t do anything to change their minds. If you are unhappy about the prices post a complaint in a respectful, contrite, professional way or don’t at all. It’s pathetic that as a player base we are expecting free handouts all the time. I understand the frustrations that everyone was looking forward to using these new characters and getting them to seven stars but EA does have to make money. We’ve been begging and begging for these two toons to come since before Rogue One hit the big screen. Of course they’re going to be expensive because our demand for them was through the roof. SWGOH is a free download but is a freemium game, the more you pay the more you will have. They want these toons to be exclusive to the elite players who are paying the bills for the majority of the player base. I look forward to when these toons are farmable and in the meantime I will focus on the toons I am gearing up now.

Totally agree!!! Just lay low and focus on what you have and gear up. No need to get bent on the new toons. I just won't spend no more $$ in the mean time and focus on what I have. No harm no foul
  • I guess it all depends on what their intentions were/are. If it's to see what the breaking point is, congrats EA/CG you found it. If it's to keep DK and DT from running rampant across the shards and only in the hands of the most dedicated mega-whale, congrats EA/CG you achieved that.

If the intention was the squeeze a boat load of money out of your user community? Sorry you failed miserably at that. Pretty sure the conversion rate on this pack is WAY below any other one that's come out before. Still not as absurd as the original Baze paywall but that one got corrected fairly quickly.

Honestly, it'd be wise for the marketing/pricing whoever responsible team to take a step back and compare the Rogue One pack to both the TIE Attack Pack and the Citadel Pack. I wonder how much greater that take up rate on the R1 pack was. A big chunk of my guild bought that one.

Conversely I know almost no one personally who's bought the Citadel Pack and so far, I don't see DK or DT in the top 10 on my shard (I started playing 11/205). I know there are some top 5 guys in other shards who must be super-mega-whales that are running 7* G11 ones so they're out there but not many.

I wonder how much more money they make when the deal is too good to pass up ala Rogue One pack versus only affordable by the biggest of whales.
    (In game - Veran - Officer of ALLIΔNCE Nu)
  • In an effort to keep the thread alive, i'll agree and let the community know that i bought 1 citadel pack and stopped. I would like the new chars and would be willing to spend $200-$400 for them but i will not spend what is required to 7* them. This was always somewhat ridiculous but things are seemingly out of control now with the pricing structure in place.
  • Gwonk
    238 posts Member
    chrischaos wrote: »
    In an effort to keep the thread alive, i'll agree and let the community know that i bought 1 citadel pack and stopped. I would like the new chars and would be willing to spend $200-$400 for them but i will not spend what is required to 7* them. This was always somewhat ridiculous but things are seemingly out of control now with the pricing structure in place.

Glad to hear it, completely agree :)
  • DoomeyEyes
    264 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Mike1980 wrote: »
    DrD wrote: »

Not true. Yes they will sell more packs. 10x the people will not 7* the characters. 10x the people may buy enough packs to get them to 4 or 5 stars. There's a portion of this game that is freemium and relies on micro transactions and people buying the subscriptions and the vaults and chests. And then there's a portion of this game that is a luxury and serves the big whales out there. Spending is not as linear as you make it out to be.

One major factor not taken into account, and it cuts in favor of less $$ spent...

The amount of free crystals hoarded in expectation of buying packs. Personally, I had $50 worth... could have had $100 but I wanted to build up my gear reserves.

My read of the numbers is that they pulled in between 250-500k over the weekend over their average. Considering this was a 2-week event, the phrase epic fail comes to mind. I bet they were expecting a few million from this cash grab and woke up this morning to disappointment similar to what we felt Saturday morning.
  • chrischaos wrote: »
    In an effort to keep the thread alive, i'll agree and let the community know that i bought 1 citadel pack and stopped. I would like the new chars and would be willing to spend $200-$400 for them but i will not spend what is required to 7* them. This was always somewhat ridiculous but things are seemingly out of control now with the pricing structure in place.

Ironically, the aurodium model was the correct price point - and probably would still work if they simply dropped the pre-requisite. The issue is, the current packs are 4-5 times higher in terms of actual cost. Most of the whales and many dolphins are willing to drop a couple hundred bucks to 7* an "exclusive" character - but $800-$1000+ is simply too high.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • One point though that may influence peoples consideration of buying or not is the following:

When aurodium was popular gear requirements where much lover (and cheaper / less grind) than now. There were also no mods. For most cases a toon is usually viable (especially if you want to use it in raid) at 7*, G11. Including those costs, leveling up a toon from zero gets more expensive, and with higher costs per shard than before, this may people prevent even more from buying such packs or even aurodium.
  • DrewR
    272 posts Member
    Game must have a product manager who used to work for airlines. The similarities are so strong. Airlines charge $$$$$ for biz class and only $ for economy seats...............
  • My only constructive comment here is the price of this pack makes not want to spend another cent on game and go back to f2p. I was hoping it cost around same as R1 celebration pack. I would have bought a few of those.
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    chrischaos wrote: »

Aside from the price themselves, the kicker is that you need really good speed stats on your mods for them to work anyway. You can spend $1,500 but unless you can toss at least 100 speed on them (a little more for DT) you might as well not even bother. Plus you better be able to put 100 speed on Tie Fighter Pilot or the squad doesn't really work all that well either.

If they wanted to sell the packs with 12 mods (1 of each shape, 1 for each character) that can put 100 or more speed on them, then maybe we're talking.
This discussion has been closed.