Could we see Darth Plagueis?

Replies

  • DatBoi
    3572 posts Member
    Cyrus_Ren wrote: »
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Cyrus_Ren wrote: »
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Cyrus_Ren wrote: »
    Ep 8

    nope. Disney will do everything they can to avoid referencing the prequels

    Sry I didnt know you are working for Disney.

    Or

    Source please

    Source: all of TFA and rogue one.

    Did you ever see a single reference to anything in the prequels from TFA or Rogue One? Disney absolutely worships the original trilogy and they'll do everything they can to recreate them. The prequel trilogy has one of the worst reputations in movie history due to the poor filmmaking involved and disappointment from fans. Jj abrams frequently stated in interviews how much he tried to keep the TFA from referencing the prequels (especially midichlorians).

    Despite what you might hear from these forums, people (especially the people in charge of the new movies) do not like the prequels. They are objectively poorly made movies. The only people who like them like them because they've researched material outside the canon. They like the subject matter of the prequels because of their context and how it fits inside of a larger universe, not because of the (lack of) quality. They are willing to overlook the poor writing, production, and acting because the context makes up for it.

    Disney wants to make passively entertaining movies that Joe Shmo can watch and appreciate without having to read a bunch of books or articles on wookiepedia. If they reference the prequels, they lose that because that information is far more complicated and less iconic than the material from the original trilogy. Most people have no idea who plagueis is, or who plo koon is. Most people dont remember kit fisto, ki adi mundi, darth tyranus, darth sidious, shmi skywalker, or poggle the lesser. They might remember the robot with four arms, the black guy played by sam jackson, the liam neeson character, that one chick with the fancy clothes, or silver boba fett, but not why they matter, what their motivations are, or their personalities (well i guess they have no personality).

    Too long. Didnt read. But im no agree.

    Well you asked for justification of my argument and I gave it to you. Whether or not you decided to read it is irrelevant.
  • Dave79
    100 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Cyrus_Ren wrote: »
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Cyrus_Ren wrote: »
    Ep 8

    nope. Disney will do everything they can to avoid referencing the prequels

    Sry I didnt know you are working for Disney.

    Or

    Source please

    Source: all of TFA and rogue one.

    Did you ever see a single reference to anything in the prequels from TFA or Rogue One? Disney absolutely worships the original trilogy and they'll do everything they can to recreate them. The prequel trilogy has one of the worst reputations in movie history due to the poor filmmaking involved and disappointment from fans. Jj abrams frequently stated in interviews how much he ).

    While i agree with you about the general quality of the prequels (specially about the acting and parts of the scripts) there was plenty of nods to them in TFA like when they mention the Clone armies, the prophecy of the chosen one and how it mirrors Rey in the movie, podracer flags used in Phantom Menace, Reys Force visions and the equipment of Phasma in the same material as Padmes consular ship. Bottom line is that there was a lot.

    Abrams might hit on the big drum but episode 7 is basically a slavic adoption of a new Hope with similar structures as the prequels in terms of character developments. Personally i have it at the bottom of the list with Phantom Menace and attack of the clones. I loved Rogue One though.
  • DatBoi
    3572 posts Member
    Dave79 wrote: »
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Cyrus_Ren wrote: »
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Cyrus_Ren wrote: »
    Ep 8

    nope. Disney will do everything they can to avoid referencing the prequels

    Sry I didnt know you are working for Disney.

    Or

    Source please

    Source: all of TFA and rogue one.

    Did you ever see a single reference to anything in the prequels from TFA or Rogue One? Disney absolutely worships the original trilogy and they'll do everything they can to recreate them. The prequel trilogy has one of the worst reputations in movie history due to the poor filmmaking involved and disappointment from fans. Jj abrams frequently stated in interviews how much he ).

    While i agree with you about the general quality of the prequels (specially about the acting and parts of the scripts) there was plenty of nods to them in TFA like when they mention the Clone armies, the prophecy of the chosen one and how it mirrors Rey in the movie, podracer flags used in Phantom Menace, Reys Force visions and the equipment of Phasma in the same material as Padmes consular ship. Bottom line is that there was a lot.

    Abrams might hit on the big drum but episode 7 is basically a slavic adoption of a new Hope with similar structures as the prequels in terms of character developments. Personally i have it at the bottom of the list with Phantom Menace and attack of the clones. I loved Rogue One though.

    When do they mention the clone armies? (im not arguing that it happened, I just dont remember)

    I disagree that Rey's significance is a direct reference to the prequels. I think the whole "chosen one/prophecy" thing is just an overused trope thats used in all kinds of movies whether its TFA, the prequels, the Matrix, Harry Potter, or the Lego Movie.

    How are the character developments in TFA at all similar to the prequels? The prequels have no character development at all. If anything, its more thats lifted from the original trilogy where strangers are thrust into difficult situations and have to work together to succeed. Han and Luke become friends because they have to cooperate when shooting TIE fighters and running around the Death Star. Poe and Finn become friends because they have to cooperate when shooting TIE Fighters, and Finn and Rey become friends because they also have to cooperate when shooting TIE fighters.
  • Boo
    3994 posts Member
    Do you guys ever think we could get darth Plagueis or would you want him? I think that would be awesome personally

    Its still up in the air as to whether or not Plagueis is actually Snoke - until this is confirmed I don't think we will see Plagueis or Snoke any time soon - maybe at the end of the yaer upon the release of E 8
  • DatBoi
    3572 posts Member
    I just want to point something out...

    This is a Muun (Plagueis is a Muun)
    latest?cb=20080117160044

    This is snoke
    jiiSuyr.jpg

    Notice how Snoke has ears, a nose, and a shorter head shape unlike the Muun?
  • Dave79
    100 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    DatBoi: Early in the film, Kylo Ren chides General Hux for the traitorous activities of his trooper, FN-2187, and asks if a clone army wouldn’t be better suited for their work. The clone army was commissioned in secret by the Sith and employed by the Jedi and the Republic until Darth Sidious called upon Order 66. Kylo Ren’s allusion to wishing for a clone army is particularly poignant when one considers that Ren worships his grandfather, Darth Vader, who fought alongside the clones and used them to eliminate the Jedi.

    My point with Rey is that her story mirrors that of both Anakin and Luke Skywalker, though we have no clear knowledge of whether she’s a Skywalker just yet. Rey is left on Jakku, a desert planet very much like Tatooine, has the extreme technical abilities Anakin had in “The Phantom Menace,” and is a gifted pilot like both Anakin and Luke. Who but a user of the Force could pilot a podracer, an X-wing, or the Millennium Falcon as capably as Anakin, Luke and Rey? Rey’s entire living at the beginning of the film is one elaborate reference to the upbringing of these two characters.

    And about Plagueis species. It isnt canon any longer that he is/was a Muun. He could be anything they are choosing him to be. Whats canon is his name, that he was Palps master and had the power to cheat death. The latter is unless Palps told Anakin the truth in the opera scene but i think he actually did as he is repeating it twice in ROTJ and even admits he himself didnt have the same knowledge (which is a **** move cause he had already snared Anakin at that point with having him made believe he knew that power).

    Sorry for long text lol

  • Wether or not it was a red herring, it has already been officially stated Snoke is Not Darth Plaguis.

    Regarding Disney, they have stated that Non-canon is a source pool writers can obtain inspiration & that 'if' it is decided to utilise any character or describe any past era in a new story line, it & everything concerning it will become Canonised.

    So while there is hope that they have the ability revive a non-canon character when it pleases them to do so, Disney absolutely do not want to be confined by story arcs that need to refer to a canon not already in play.



  • DatBoi
    3572 posts Member
    Dave79 wrote: »
    My point with Rey is that her story mirrors that of both Anakin and Luke Skywalker, though we have no clear knowledge of whether she’s a Skywalker just yet. Rey is left on Jakku, a desert planet very much like Tatooine, has the extreme technical abilities Anakin had in “The Phantom Menace,” and is a gifted pilot like both Anakin and Luke. Who but a user of the Force could pilot a podracer, an X-wing, or the Millennium Falcon as capably as Anakin, Luke and Rey? Rey’s entire living at the beginning of the film is one elaborate reference to the upbringing of these two characters.

    Young anakin and Rey's poor, scrappy origins on a desert planet are definitely callbacks to Luke, but I still don't how that makes Rey a direct reference to phantom menace.
  • Smithie wrote: »
    Haha I just realized in prequels they never knew the sith were still around but palpatine says to anakin, have you ever heard the tragedy of darth plageuis hahaha how could he have if the sith were supposedly extinct lmao

    Huh...I never thought about that.

    I imagine Palpatine would have known that the Jedi thought that the Sith were extinct.
    Perhaps he was testing that by asking Anakin if he had heard of Plageuis?
    or....
    knowing that the Jedi considered the Sith extinct, he felt safe in telling the story. After all, only he knew that it was a fairly recent event. Anakin would have been thinking Palpatine was telling a tale from long ago.


    Dastardly clever.

    I think Palpatine told that story to Ani because he knew Ani was having visions of Padme's death. It all falls into the plan of Ani needing him.

    If Ani didnt know that tale that the Darkside could stop people from dying then he wouldnt of turned on Mace

    All seems like a big master plan of Palaptines, then all was required was to have Mace look like the bad guy and go to kill an unarmed person which is against the Jedi code

    palpatine knew of anakins visions because he planted them in his head.

    palpatines goal was for anakin to be a sith from the moment of his birth. rather than train him himself though he let the jedi train him in the force and then he would complete his training.

    so palpatine planted visions of anakins mother and wife to establish attachment with anakin which led to dark feelings of fear and anger.

  • I doubt it... Only reason we are getting Nihilus is because he is from an EA game.

    Also is there even a canon depiction of Darth Plagiues?
  • Dave79
    100 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Akhatosh: I know that they have said that but i dont think they would go out and confirm it this early. That would be a spoiler in that case.

    Anyway, episode 8 hype is on :)
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Dave79 wrote: »
    My point with Rey is that her story mirrors that of both Anakin and Luke Skywalker, though we have no clear knowledge of whether she’s a Skywalker just yet. Rey is left on Jakku, a desert planet very much like Tatooine, has the extreme technical abilities Anakin had in “The Phantom Menace,” and is a gifted pilot like both Anakin and Luke. Who but a user of the Force could pilot a podracer, an X-wing, or the Millennium Falcon as capably as Anakin, Luke and Rey? Rey’s entire living at the beginning of the film is one elaborate reference to the upbringing of these two characters.

    Young anakin and Rey's poor, scrappy origins on a desert planet are definitely callbacks to Luke, but I still don't how that makes Rey a direct reference to phantom menace.

    Its an indirect reference of course, through similarities with the story of Anakin and Luke (i prefer Anakin here as he was "first" though not movie wise), but still not too far off if you're remotely familiar with Star Wars.

    One would think that for a movie writer who'd like to distance himself "as much a possible" from the prequels, my point is that he did a pretty lousy job as i saw a lot of references, which i pointed out (there are more).

  • Ahkatosh
    157 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Plagueis was still alive during the events of Ep1.
    'Darth' Sideous broke the rule of 2 by secretly making Maul his own apprentice.
    Plagueis wasn't killed until Palpatine became Chancellor.

    Pretty much, Palpatine told Anakin a story of what happened the other day.
  • DatBoi
    3572 posts Member
    hnewton wrote: »
    I doubt it... Only reason we are getting Nihilus is because he is from an EA game.

    Also is there even a canon depiction of Darth Plagiues?

    not a real depiction, just a little anecdote. Its not even stated that he was palpatine's master. He was just "Plagueis the wise"
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    I just want to point something out...

    This is a Muun (Plagueis is a Muun)
    latest?cb=20080117160044

    This is snoke
    jiiSuyr.jpg

    Notice how Snoke has ears, a nose, and a shorter head shape unlike the Muun?

    In canon Plageuis' species isnt noted so he could be anything
    My Collection Red Lining the Revan Counter

  • joseybizzle
    74 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    I think he is a good character but there are way more popular and more crucial characters that need to be released before him, like Darth Bane, Revan etc so i think Plageuis can wait
    My Collection Red Lining the Revan Counter

  • DatBoi wrote: »
    hnewton wrote: »
    I doubt it... Only reason we are getting Nihilus is because he is from an EA game.

    Also is there even a canon depiction of Darth Plagiues?

    not a real depiction, just a little anecdote. Its not even stated that he was palpatine's master. He was just "Plagueis the wise"

    The novelization of "Revenge of the Sith" has a line Palpatine utters to Anakin about him (Plagueis) being his master before he (Palpatine) killed him - whether the novelization is canonical is open to interpretation (the movie certainly is but there are elements in the book that are not found in the movie at all, even in the deleted scenes).
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • DatBoi
    3572 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »
    I just want to point something out...

    This is a Muun (Plagueis is a Muun)
    latest?cb=20080117160044

    This is snoke
    jiiSuyr.jpg

    Notice how Snoke has ears, a nose, and a shorter head shape unlike the Muun?

    In canon Plageuis' species isnt noted so he could be anything

    Well if we're going by canon, then hes just an arbitrary sithwho is mentioned once and we know nothing about. Its not even stated that he was palpatine's master
  • yeah i don't think snoke is anybody but snoke
  • DatBoi
    3572 posts Member
    spotremix wrote: »
    yeah i don't think snoke is anybody but snoke

    impossible. Everybody in Star Wars has to be related to someone else
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    spotremix wrote: »
    yeah i don't think snoke is anybody but snoke

    impossible. Everybody in Star Wars has to be related to someone else

    That's right, Finn is Lando's nephew...probably. And Mace's secret grandson...maybe.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • DatBoi
    3572 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    APX_919 wrote: »
    DatBoi wrote: »
    spotremix wrote: »
    yeah i don't think snoke is anybody but snoke

    impossible. Everybody in Star Wars has to be related to someone else

    That's right, Finn is Lando's nephew...probably. And Mace's secret grandson...maybe.
    Very good point. Sith have their rule of two, and black people in star wars have their rule of one.

    Edit: grammar
  • APX_919 wrote: »
    DatBoi wrote: »
    hnewton wrote: »
    I doubt it... Only reason we are getting Nihilus is because he is from an EA game.

    Also is there even a canon depiction of Darth Plagiues?

    not a real depiction, just a little anecdote. Its not even stated that he was palpatine's master. He was just "Plagueis the wise"

    The novelization of "Revenge of the Sith" has a line Palpatine utters to Anakin about him (Plagueis) being his master before he (Palpatine) killed him - whether the novelization is canonical is open to interpretation (the movie certainly is but there are elements in the book that are not found in the movie at all, even in the deleted scenes).

    I think the movie suggests this fairly well also. They way Palps tells the tale: the expression on his face & tone of voice - oh yeah. He's not just telling a tale, he is recounting a memory. You can infer that he was the one who killed Plagueis.

    Nice acting on Ian McDiarmid's part. I rather like that scene.
    Drop It Like It's xHOTHx
    In Game Name: E Chu Ta
  • Dave79
    100 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Ian McDiarmid really lifts those movies up. Fantastic actor.

    DatBoi wrote: »
    hnewton wrote: »
    I doubt it... Only reason we are getting Nihilus is because he is from an EA game.

    Also is there even a canon depiction of Darth Plagiues?

    not a real depiction, just a little anecdote. Its not even stated that he was palpatine's master. He was just "Plagueis the wise"

    He is stated as such in the (canon) novel "Tarkin". So, yeah, he is Palps master.
  • APX_919 wrote: »
    DatBoi wrote: »
    hnewton wrote: »
    I doubt it... Only reason we are getting Nihilus is because he is from an EA game.

    Also is there even a canon depiction of Darth Plagiues?

    not a real depiction, just a little anecdote. Its not even stated that he was palpatine's master. He was just "Plagueis the wise"

    The novelization of "Revenge of the Sith" has a line Palpatine utters to Anakin about him (Plagueis) being his master before he (Palpatine) killed him - whether the novelization is canonical is open to interpretation (the movie certainly is but there are elements in the book that are not found in the movie at all, even in the deleted scenes).

    From what I've heard the novelizations are canon unless they conflict with the final product on screen.
  • His species isn't even canon yet so probably not for a while. But my bet is snoke will reveal himself as formally being plagueis, then we will figure ouy more about him
  • DatBoi
    3572 posts Member
    DarthxMaul wrote: »
    His species isn't even canon yet so probably not for a while. But my bet is snoke will reveal himself as formally being plagueis, then we will figure ouy more about him

    AOTC has muun
  • This is completely stupid. In canon, we dont even know what he looks like!
  • @spotremix

    You miss that Sidious didnt know about Anakin until he sees him with Padme and the Jedis coming to Corouscant the first time. (You can read that in the book named Darth Plagueis) Im sorry but your theory lacks at some point
  • @spotremix

    You miss that Sidious didnt know about Anakin until he sees him with Padme and the Jedis coming to Corouscant the first time. (You can read that in the book named Darth Plagueis) Im sorry but your theory lacks at some point

    that's fine. not my theory anyway. just the theory i hold to be true from what i've read including the bit of information you mentioned that i already knew of but was irrelevant to my comment.

    it's debatable whether he knew of anakin or not. remember so much of him was a public acting job. he kept his true feelings and knowledge hidden until the end. he could have been pretending to not know him.

    now that part is my own expansion from what i've already read.

    great part of star wars is all the theories and speculations the fans have :)
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    Cyrus_Ren wrote: »
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Cyrus_Ren wrote: »
    Ep 8

    nope. Disney will do everything they can to avoid referencing the prequels

    Sry I didnt know you are working for Disney.

    Or

    Source please

    Source: all of TFA and rogue one.

    Did you ever see a single reference to anything in the prequels from TFA or Rogue One? Disney absolutely worships the original trilogy and they'll do everything they can to recreate them. The prequel trilogy has one of the worst reputations in movie history due to the poor filmmaking involved and disappointment from fans. Jj abrams frequently stated in interviews how much he tried to keep the TFA from referencing the prequels (especially midichlorians).

    Despite what you might hear from these forums, people (especially the people in charge of the new movies) do not like the prequels. They are objectively poorly made movies. The only people who like them like them because they've researched material outside the canon. They like the subject matter of the prequels because of their context and how it fits inside of a larger universe, not because of the (lack of) quality. They are willing to overlook the poor writing, production, and acting because the context makes up for it.

    Disney wants to make passively entertaining movies that Joe Shmo can watch and appreciate without having to read a bunch of books or articles on wookiepedia. If they reference the prequels, they lose that because that information is far more complicated and less iconic than the material from the original trilogy. Most people have no idea who plagueis is, or who plo koon is. Most people dont remember kit fisto, ki adi mundi, darth tyranus, darth sidious, shmi skywalker, or poggle the lesser. They might remember the robot with four arms, the black guy played by sam jackson, the liam neeson character, that one chick with the fancy clothes, or silver boba fett, but not why they matter, what their motivations are, or their personalities (well i guess they have no personality).

    It's that why people love QGJ, Maul, General Kenobi, the Clones and Jedi Anakin? All are in this game btw... Also people absolutely LOVE Jango Fett...
This discussion has been closed.