Leader when attacked?

I'm around rank 900-ish and I'm still seeing opponents with no leadership ability characters shown. Even if they have one. Example: I'll pick a fight with someone who has, say a storm trooper shown and "no leadership ability", but when I fight them, Chewy is in their squad. Just not as leader. So my question is how do I know my Chewy is the leader when folks attack me? Does he have to be the highest level? Highest power score?

Replies

• It's just to lure you into thinking they don't have a strong squad as you can only see the character in the leader position and no others.
  • Some of the lower ranked teams in Arena are actually not players and are just AI generated teams from the game I think. I'm not sure about at rank 900 but at the much lower levels it's definitely the case.

You can tell because they don't use proper characters with leadership abilities as their leaders.

Either that or the people you're playing against are just really bad at the game and don't know about leader skills :p

I don't see why they would use this as a "bait tactic" because in most cases a leadership skill is much more useful than trying to surprise a challenger in a PvP fight.

As long as you have the character you want in the leader position when selecting your team before a fight then you don't need to worry about it.
  • LoTEK
    101 posts Member
    Good to know. Thanks.
  • It's just to lure you into thinking they don't have a strong squad as you can only see the character in the leader position and no others.

What is the value of winning a defense? Wouldn't it be better to just not be attacked?

What is the value of winning a defense? Wouldn't it be better to just not be attacked?

They both serve the same purpose, but you're right.

If no one challenges you there's no chance of you losing and dropping rank, there's no real reason to try and "trick" people into thinking you have a weaker team.
  • Reyne
    74 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I really want to know how you determine if you get a leader ability or not when attacked, I have Cheewie with wookie resolve level 3, yet when I go into squad arena -> ranks, I have the Clone trooper as leader and it says "No leader ability available"

How do I change this?!
  • Slushie
    425 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    @Reyne wrote: »
    I really want to know how you determine if you get a leader ability or not when attacked, I have Cheewie with wookie resolve level 3, yet when I go into squad arena -> ranks, I have the Clone trooper as leader and it says "No leader ability available"

How do I change this?!

Can you take a screenshot of the rank screen you're talking about and the team set up screen before you go into a squad arena fight and post it here?
  • Reyne
    74 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I have cooldown on attacking on squad arena atm, 8 more hours. But the rank screen is exactly as I said Before. Go to the squad arena menu and then the rank tab at the bottom. You will see who is nr 1-4 on the right side of the screen and your rank on the left.
  • Slushie wrote: »
    It's just to lure you into thinking they don't have a strong squad as you can only see the character in the leader position and no others.

If no one challenges you there's no chance of you losing and dropping rank, there's no real reason to try and "trick" people into thinking you have a weaker team.

The way it works, I think you drop rank if people above you drop rank though... the "PvP" in this game matches two players (AI or otherwise), and if the winner is lower rank than the loser, the lower ranked player bumps up to the winner's slot and the loser goes down one rank, I think, correct?

It's a pretty simplistic PvP system really... in some ways, you could really mess with people below you by dropping a sandbag team into place in your final PvP round so you lock a weak team into your rank slot, meaning anyone who draws your team will have an easy jump into position to push everyone below you down.

They should have used something more rating-based to establish how many ranks you gain per Arena win, but the devs took a shortcut on this one...
    SWGoH Ally Code: 988-869-147 GM of [Elite Casual]
    May the Force be with you.
  • @Reyne wrote: »
    I have cooldown on attacking on squad arena atm, 8 more hours. But the rank screen is exactly as I said Before. Go to the squad arena menu and then the rank tab at the bottom. You will see who is nr 1-4 on the right side of the screen and your rank on the left.

I'm aware of this. My rank screen shows exactly the same leader I have set in my PvP team screen. That's why I was asking you to take a screenshot of the two to show us.
  • @scootle wrote: »
    Slushie wrote: »
    It's just to lure you into thinking they don't have a strong squad as you can only see the character in the leader position and no others.

The way it works, I think you drop rank if people above you drop rank though... the "PvP" in this game matches two players (AI or otherwise), and if the winner is lower rank than the loser, the lower ranked player bumps up to the winner's slot and the loser goes down one rank, I think, correct?

It's a pretty simplistic PvP system really... in some ways, you could really mess with people below you by dropping a sandbag team into place in your final PvP round so you lock a weak team into your rank slot, meaning anyone who draws your team will have an easy jump into position to push everyone below you down.

They should have used something more rating-based to establish how many ranks you gain per Arena win, but the devs took a shortcut on this one...

No the PvP rank system is a straight swap system. If I'm #64 and I challenge you when you're #56 and I win, then I take your #56 rank and you end up with my #64 rank.

No one else gets shifted around us unless they're fighting at the same time and win/lose.
    No the PvP rank system is a straight swap system. If I'm #64 and I challenge you when you're #56 and I win, then I take your #56 rank and you end up with my #64 rank.

No one else gets shifted around us unless they're fighting at the same time and win/lose.

Oooh... it's a flat swap? Interesting... thanks for clarifying that. That makes a little more sense I suppose. I guess I could have paid more attention to check this mechanic myself. :)

SWGoH Ally Code: 988-869-147 GM of [Elite Casual]
    May the Force be with you.
    @scootle wrote: »
    Slushie wrote: »

So if you're rank 1, what's the point of even playing till you drop ranks?
    Team Steroid Council Member - "A wise leader knows when to follow"
  • @ShewardN wrote: »
    So if you're rank 1, what's the point of even playing till you drop ranks?

Because no one ever remains at rank 1 for that long. At rank 1 everyone in the top 10 will be trying to snipe your position, but if you are rank 1 you can still challenge ranks 2-5 and your rank won't change whether you win or lose.

This is important to note because when you're engaged in an arena battle, for those 5 minutes (or however long it takes you to complete the fight) both you and your opponent are locked out of any other fights. This means, no one can attempt to challenge you to snipe your position because the game tells you "that player is already engaged in battle".

Top 10 rankings will generally time their fight attempts strategically an hour or so before the reward lock in occurs on their server, because they know you don't have to be #1 for a long amount of time, you just need to be #1 when the reward timer hits 0.