Any reason UK customers are now shafted in prices?

Previously all prices have been scaled roughly to the exchange rate, a $99.99 item was £79.99, a $4.99 was £3.99 etc. However with the latest Sith/Kylo pack this has changed, a $19.99/$39.99 is charged at £19.99/£39.99?

So essentially UK customers are paying $24+ for a Sith pack or $49+ for Kylo's pack and getting the same thing. Any other countries out there suddenly being screwed over with this pricing no longer scaling at before?

Replies

• It's called Brexit!! :-))) hasn't helped the pound and you guys still haven't left the EU.
  • Vertigo
    4496 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    It's called tariffs. USA didn't like them much either. Just ask the colonials!
  • JasFonz wrote: »
    It's called Brexit!! :-))) hasn't helped the pound and you guys still haven't left the EU.

I've already set the Brexit prices, we're still paying considerably more based on the current exchange rate. If this was pre Brexit, we'd be getting hammered about an extra 10% more than we are now.

• Vertigo wrote: »
    It's called tariffs. USA didn't like them much either.

It's ridiculous that we pay an extra $10 for the same thing and if it wasn't for Brexit, we'd be paying an extra $15-18... I'm curious why the scaled pricing is only affecting the new packs and doesn't affect the crystals which remain scaled £79.99 for the $99.99 crystals.
    It's called Brexit!! :-))) hasn't helped the pound and you guys still haven't left the EU.

Vault of crystals in the US = $100 USD
    Vault of crystals in the UK = £100 GBP

£1 GBP = $1.25 USD

So in the UK, a vault costs the equivalent of $125.

So what is the justification for charging 25% more in the UK?

The percentage differences are even greater for smaller bundles.
  • Oh wow, yes they have removed scaling from crystals now too... this is ridiculous.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    that's how much people from australia have been paying all along. (don't know the exact amount, but it was way more expensive than in the US)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Vatano wrote: »
    Oh wow, yes they have removed scaling from crystals now too... this is ridiculous.

Tariffs and Brexit. Folks, search engines and reading the news are wonderful things!

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/17/apple-ios-mac-app-store-prices-rise-25-per-cent-following-brexit
    SnakesOnAPlane
    Vertigo wrote: »
    It's called tariffs. USA didn't like them much either.

It's ridiculous that we pay an extra $10 for the same thing and if it wasn't for Brexit, we'd be paying an extra $15-18... I'm curious why the scaled pricing is only affecting the new packs and doesn't affect the crystals which remain scaled £79.99 for the $99.99 crystals.

That's why you have a revolution to stop the heavily taxed imports that are being forced upon you. ;)
  • MackemSLAM
    346 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Vatano wrote: »
    Oh wow, yes they have removed scaling from crystals now too... this is ridiculous.

Tariffs and Brexit. Folks, search engines and reading the news are wonderful things!

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/17/apple-ios-mac-app-store-prices-rise-25-per-cent-following-brexit

There are no tariffs on a digital item like crystals. They aren't an import/export, they are purchased directly from Apple/Google's EU subsidiaries.

Brexit does not give an excuse to charge UK customers 25% more than US customers for the exact same product.

Exchange rates would be a reasonable argument if the change was restoring parity in the prices, but this isn't. It's creating a 25% disparity. The dollar prices of crystals in the UK are 25% higher than they are in the US.

Vault of crystals in the US is $100 USD
    Vault of crystals in the UK is $125 USD (£100 GBP)

Based on the current exchange rate of £1 to $1.25, the correct price for a vault is £80, not £100.

Exchange rates cannot explain the extra £20. Something else must account for the extra £20.

A reasonable explanation would be that the UK price is inclusive of 20% VAT. I couldn't say whether the US prices are inclusive of sales tax, but I'd be interested to hear if that is the case.
    Previously all prices have been scaled roughly to the exchange rate, a $99.99 item was £79.99, a $4.99 was £3.99 etc. However with the latest Sith/Kylo pack this has changed, a $19.99/$39.99 is charged at £19.99/£39.99?

So essentially UK customers are paying $24+ for a Sith pack or $49+ for Kylo's pack and getting the same thing. Any other countries out there suddenly being screwed over with this pricing no longer scaling at before?

Combine greed and brexit and that is your answer. The worst part of it is that Android haven't put up the prices, it was swgoh that's making extra by increasing android prices up to the same as apple
  • US prices have taxes incurred after the initial purchase.

Don't be lazy. And by the way it's not funny.
  • Tuscan21 wrote: »
    JasFonz wrote: »

It's not lazy, it's correct. I agree that Brexit is not funny.
  • I have to say, Since the price hike Im a little gutted. I was spending £50 a month on the game. now I refuse to pay a penny and have even started missing out on claiming all the activity rewards.

Im really disappointed that the prices have gone up. I understand the whole Brexit falling pound value and our stupid 20% tax rate.

Im just annoyed that we are PAYING FOR A DIGITAL ITEM. its not like we have to pay for shipping of goods or anything that can account for a price difference. Im half tempted to set up a US apple ID. just to get cheaper stuff.

Just put a downer on the whole game.

Stupid country! God... Trump and Brexit= RIP America and UK
  • loroku wrote: »
    Tuscan21 wrote: »

It's not lazy, it's correct. I agree that Brexit is not funny.

How is it correct? Since brexit pound has dropped to 1 USD = 1GBP? I don't think so.
  • Unfortunately, Brexit will be a convenient excuse for a lot of price hikes, and I suspect that is what this is, partially
  • Yep. Never mind all that deliberate quantative easing (ie printing banknotes) which had been going on for years beforehand in order to bring the pound's value down... now the BoE gets what it wanted and screams.

Anyway yes blatant ripoff. And the old prices would have included VAT btw, so the hike is not due to tax, just plain old greed.
    "If you recognise this thumbnail, then you have great taste, and you're really getting old"
  • It isn't EA, its apple. Apple Store is $1 = £1.

Some apps make an adjustment within their pricing but most don't.
  • KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    It's to pay for the digital wall to keep Star Trek fans out of our game. :p

I don't know but if those exchanges are correct, you have a minor grievance.
  • And unfortunately the only way to make a stand is by not buying. But, realistically, I doubt very many people would do that, which is unfortunately what Apple etc rely on.

Shame the old folks in the UK don't play SWGOH, we may not have had Brexit if they thought they'd be stung by crystal inflation
  • Szogunka
    15 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    leef wrote: »
    that's how much people from australia have been paying all along. (don't know the exact amount, but it was way more expensive than in the US)
    at least you have much better life than in the United States
    It isn't EA, its apple. Apple Store is $1 = £1.

Some apps make an adjustment within their pricing but most don't.
    apple store is horrible you have to pay tax for them too. If you buy crystals for $19.99 then you have to pay $3 tax its horrible -_-
  • From the UK, is there a way we can pay in usd so removing the exchange rate extortion from swgoh?
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Keep politics out of it please.