QoL suggestions - (Merged Threads)

Replies

• DrewR wrote: »
    Wow, I must be the few who like 6pm.........

I don't hate it, it actually works for me, but when daylight saving makes it 7pm I like it a lot less.
  • This is a terrible idea, there are plenty of actual problems this game has that need work, this isn't really an issue at all.. do I always have time to play the hr before payout? No. Is this a problem? No. If I don't hit the top 5 I'm not gonna lose sleep. And I rarely drop out of top 20, even with 1 guild owning top 20 in my shard and trying to battle me out. Bottom line is, this is wai. Now if they could do something about guilds that form out of high ranks in arena, that I could get behind. It's unfortunate the time doesn't work well for you but if you're team is solid enough remaining in top 20, even on the busiest day, should not be an issue.
  • This is a terrible idea, there are plenty of actual problems this game has that need work, this isn't really an issue at all.. do I always have time to play the hr before payout? No. Is this a problem? No. If I don't hit the top 5 I'm not gonna lose sleep. And I rarely drop out of top 20, even with 1 guild owning top 20 in my shard and trying to battle me out. Bottom line is, this is wai. Now if they could do something about guilds that form out of high ranks in arena, that I could get behind. It's unfortunate the time doesn't work well for you but if you're team is solid enough remaining in top 20, even on the busiest day, should not be an issue.

You started by saying this is a terrible idea but then continued to state that you don't really care about your ranking. Some people take the game more seriously. Nothing you've said backs up why this is a terrible idea... you've just really stated you don't hate the current system... which is fine but there are tons of people who don't share your sentiment.
  • spotremix wrote: »
    AND not everyone's payout is 6pm......... :)

I think it is.
  • Mullato wrote: »
    spotremix wrote: »

I think it is.

just so happens that my 6pm is not your 6pm.
    im still at work at 6 and 7pm after dst so its fine for me.
  • Mullato wrote: »

I think it is.

my payout is at 5pm
  • djvita wrote: »
    Mullato wrote: »

I think it is.

just so happens that my 6pm is not your 6pm.
    im still at work at 6 and 7pm after dst so its fine for me.

Exactly what I'm saying. Everyone's payout is at 6pm. Just different 6pms.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Everybody in top 20 would be able to reach rank 1 at some point during the day without buying any refreshes. Only players dropping to rank 20 or beliw would have to buy a refresh to reach rank 1. They would then also get the high rewards for rank 1.

Furthermore people would stop buying refreshes to be able to play two battles back—to—back to avoid those ladt minute snipe.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    Everybody in top 20 would be able to reach rank 1 at some point during the day without buying any refreshes. Only players dropping to rank 20 or beliw would have to buy a refresh to reach rank 1. They would then also get the high rewards for rank 1.

Furthermore people would stop buying refreshes to be able to play two battles back—to—back to avoid those ladt minute snipe.

That's not entirely true, I usually rank 6-10 during my payout, but I rarely buy any refreshes for arena matches because I literally just can't beat the guys that are ranking top 5 most of the time. Occasionally I can beat the #4 or #5 guy but they have the same payout as I do and are usually trying to get to the top. There are teams in the top 20 that can't beat other teams in the top 20 on my shard. It drops off fairly quickly, but the top 50 is extremely even. If 1 team in the top 50 can beat you, you're basically guaranteed to drop to 50+ overnight. Kinda weird how our top 20 is like a weird bottleneck.
  • That's why I suggested earlier that it locks in your highest ranks on the hours. Say noon is the hour you have free time so you battle up to number 1 and when the clock hits noon you held the top spot. When the payout at 6pm happens you receive 500 crystals. Doesn't mean any more crystals will be payed out, just more convenient times to take the top spot.
  • Waqui wrote: »

Maybe in your shard... that's definitely not the case in my shard. Most of the guys in 10-20 never get near rank 1 on my shard.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    The arena is fine. It has some haters, but arena rank/arena team have come to be the metric of this game. Nothing to change.

+1
  • Frequent business travel makes permanently set arena payout times impossible to manage. Any updates should allow more flexibility for people that don't get to stay in one place for very long.
  • Eyi
    209 posts Member
    With the focus on Quality of Life improvements there is one BIG elephant in the room that it being ignored. Yes mod swapping made easier, team presets, bug fixes and guild management as well as being able to play the account on both Android and iOS would all be great. You also have things like gear selling/crafting and easier gear management. However I think highest on most people’s list or right up there is arena payout at the set time. This all applies to both Ships as well as Squad arena as well as any possible future arenas.

There are multiple issues with this first and foremost is the fact of the actual time it is. The 5/6/7 pm at your time zone is very hard. For a lot of people this is right around the time you are trying to drive home, picking up kids from school, or are sitting down having dinner with family. Forcing people to play then is very inconsiderate and a travesty to enjoying and quality of their life. For most people and the way it should be is family first. Now comes the next discussion, what is a good time? Therein lies the problem, everyone has different schedules and a different time will work best for everyone. Also what works during the week might not work at all during the weekend.

So what do we do to change this? The answer that the players like the most would be to do it as highest position of the day. Now won’t this just mean more crystals for everyone decreasing revenue? Not necessarily, people will refresh arena attempts more to get those higher positions minimizing the crystal payouts. Also if people are enjoying the game more and playing in the arena more they will more likely spend crystals because they are having fun. Yes you might be paying out more crystals but that could very well be countered by more refreshes and money to gear/toons because they are enjoying the game more.

Now if there is still large focus from developer side for a set payout time the next best option might be to allow people to pick their payout time. Let all current players change their payout time ONCE and all new players to pick their payout time when they first start in arena. After that you can charge crystals to change your payout time, could even tie free energy into this as well for people working overnight shifts. This allows people to pick a payout that fits their schedule and helps improve their quality of life in the game. This also still would help people that happen to move, change jobs or any other large life event to still play your game as it fits their life, but cannot play at payout time.

All of this would help increase the player base, and as the player base increases so does the chance of them spending money. I know multiple that have quite due to this and I have had multiple friends that have inquired about the game as well. Once I told them about the set payout time for arena and the time that all have immediately decided to not even try the game because of family life. That right there is a lot of lost potential revenue. I hope that the increased payout in crystals has been weighed against all the lost payments of people quitting or not even installing the game in the first place.

Please consider these proposals as it would significantly improve many peoples quality of life in the game and allow them to play the game more in their schedules instead of on yours. The free energy/shop refreshes do a good job of that already and I would not propose changing those as they will keep people logging into the game.

Thanks,
    Concerned Player

@CG_TopHat @EA_Jesse @CG_Kozispoon

From Whazn as another potential mix between the two I had:
    Just have it lock in your highest rank of the day on a per hour basis. Would let you do arena at whatever hour you choose. Payout would stay the same as there would still be only 24 top spots but it would let you do arena when it woks for you. Say one day it's noon and you battle to #1 and have the top spot when the clock hits noon, the server registers that and at 6pm it pays you out 500 crystals. Next day you take the top spot for the 4pm hour, same thing at 6pm you get paid out 500 crystals. Not sure who the 6pm time actually works for as that's usually commute home/dinner time.

Goooood ...like it

Best position of the day sounds really good
  • To those people that are saying it will lead to a decrease in competition, all I have to say is, Im pretty sure payout times are different for everyone on a shard anyway depending on time zone i think.
  • To those people that are saying it will lead to a decrease in competition, all I have to say is, Im pretty sure payout times are different for everyone on a shard anyway depending on time zone i think.

Yea, but if we were allowed to 1) change them we could all just make sure they were actually different. or 2) if it was just as high as we got during the day you could just wait for all of your shardmates to be away or go on in the middle of the night for them and do all your battles so no one can stop you.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    For what it's worth, i liked the OP's idea of highest position reached during the day
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • Vertigo wrote: »
    To those people that are saying it will lead to a decrease in competition, all I have to say is, Im pretty sure payout times are different for everyone on a shard anyway depending on time zone i think.

Yea, but if we were allowed to 1) change them we could all just make sure they were actually different. or 2) if it was just as high as we got during the day you could just wait for all of your shardmates to be away or go on in the middle of the night for them and do all your battles so no one can stop you.

Battling in the middle of the night won't help you as your shard is not limited to a particular timezone. Middle of your night could be middle of the day for someone else.

You started by saying this is a terrible idea but then continued to state that you don't really care about your ranking. Some people take the game more seriously. Nothing you've said backs up why this is a terrible idea... you've just really stated you don't hate the current system... which is fine but there are tons of people who don't share your sentiment.

I stated there are other issues that need to be addressed LONG before even giving this a thought. That's why it's a terrible idea, it's a non issue. And I don't see a ton of ppl responding that disagree

And also, with the OPs idea in mind, it would make actually ranking much more difficult without a set payout time. The system as it is now means that ppl don't really push until the hour before payout. Without that system in place you'll have ppl battling randomly, with no rhyme or reason, making it much more difficult to attain the sought after rank. In theory anyway.
  • Vertigo wrote: »
    To those people that are saying it will lead to a decrease in competition, all I have to say is, Im pretty sure payout times are different for everyone on a shard anyway depending on time zone i think.

Battling in the middle of the night won't help you as your shard is not limited to a particular timezone. Middle of your night could be middle of the day for someone else.

I meant more like the middle of their night, a lot of people at the top of my shard have similar payout times so if I were to do all 5 of my battles around 3pm here instead of 6pm I could get much higher. You would just find out when people weren't battling and you can sneak 5 battles in a row in.

This also just reinforces the idea of doing all 5 battles at the same time, If arena were better at rewarding people for spreading out their fights throughout the day I might like the change, but this doesn't change the whole "do 5 fights within an hour" mentality.
  • For whatever it's worth - the payout times is a huge issue for me as well for many of the same reasons the OP mentioned. I started this game about a month after it first released, spent actual cash on the game every week (not a fortune, but more than I spend on any other mobile game) and after 6 months of playing - the last 2 months of which was spent ranking daily in the top 5 of my arena - I had to drop the game. The payout time was too conflicting with family obligations, and it was not worth the time or monetary investment for me to play and not be competitive. I stopped playing the game for 6 months and only came back recently, but even now I will not allow myself to spend any actual money, or truly try to be competitive in either arena, since it is a conflict with dinner and time with my family.

This is one of the few issues that - if left unresolved - will most likely result in me deciding once again to put this game aside, at which point I will delete it entirely as it's been quite a chore trying to play catch-up after taking such a long break - I wouldn't be willing to do it again.

My ideal solution would be to simply allow players to pick their payout time - at which point it would become locked for 6 months. After 6 months we could pay 100 crystals or something like that to change it, at which point it would again be locked for 6 months. This system would allow players to set a time that works for them - and if they are mistaken they would have an option down the road of correcting it.
  • spotremix wrote: »
    i am currently rank 238 last time i checked. not sure how. i haven't been in arena all week. payout should remain your time zone.

+1.

• Massilia13 wrote: »
    i am currently rank 238 last time i checked. not sure how. i haven't been in arena all week. payout should remain your time zone.

+1.

People move timezones. There are plenty of people with 4 in the morning payouts. It basically kills the game for these people.

Actually in my opinion you are confirming why this is a good idea. You don't try hard because you cannot be on at your designated time that you had no choice on. If you could be on and battle when you get to choose your payout you would be more engaged. As players are more engaged there is a better chance that they are having fun. If they are having fun they are more likely to tell others what a great game it is. As more people download the game the player base expands. With more players engaged and having fun in the game has a better chance that money will be spent on the game.

On the other side, as people continue to be upset about the payouts there is more likely a chance as I have done to sway people away from the game. That means less potential players putting money into the game. It takes 10 happy customers to counter the impact of just 1 unhappy customer. Why did I sway people away, I just told them about the set payout for the most important resource. If these people would have played they would have told others and all of them would be lining EA/CGs pocket books.
    And also, with the OPs idea in mind, it would make actually ranking much more difficult without a set payout time. The system as it is now means that ppl don't really push until the hour before payout. Without that system in place you'll have ppl battling randomly, with no rhyme or reason, making it much more difficult to attain the sought after rank. In theory anyway.

I beg to differ especially if they just allow us to pick out payout time. All it will do it change around when people are active and people will still move around at different points during the day. I really do feel bad for a lot of people on my shard, of the usual top 20 players at least 7 have the same payout time, with only 2-3 of us consistently active at that time. The rest are all spread out with at most 2 at the same time. This gives a huge advantage to some players over others without them even getting a chance. All other games I have played allowed you to battle when you wanted and gain rewards when you wanted depending on the schedule. You can get more if you are on more often, but did not force you to do anything at a specific set time, and allowed you to move the game to your schedule.

I stated there are other issues that need to be addressed LONG before even giving this a thought. That's why it's a terrible idea, it's a non issue. And I don't see a ton of ppl responding that disagree

It may be a non-issue for you, but it's a HUGE issue for many, many people. I have an arena chat of about 20 people that contains most of the top players on the shard. The vast, vast majority of those players are 30-45 years old. They unanimously find the payout times oppressive, but since arena is the most fun part of the game for use, we deal with it. That said, there will be a day when our spouses put their foots down and we basically have to quit the arena due to this very issue. I can tell you with a certainty, that when this happens we will most likely also leave the game.....
  • there are so many moving parts to this game... why focus on payout times?

I would rather see updates that actually affected gameplay...

...besides... who knows what kind of problems would occur by changing these? they don't change in accordance with daylight savings, remember... and I also recall an event that did not payout correctly and the admins had to leave it as is because the cons outweighed the pros in correcting the mistake.

payout times are a non-issue. unless you suck, or you are a top 10 arena player, chances are you will not be changing brackets too rapidly within the course of a day... and you cannot go by "best rank of the day" because then you would be having a lot more ppl with rank 1 rewards.
  • ZephimyrAC wrote: »
    and you cannot go by "best rank of the day" because then you would be having a lot more ppl with rank 1 rewards.

I disagree.

You would have a few more people getting one during the day. By no means would it be many. On my shard (and I would assume most shards), people outside the top 20 are outside of the top 20 for a reason... namely they cannot easily (or perhaps at all) beat teams in front of them. Moving up to 1 would likely require refreshes in excess of the prize money. On my shard (and I assume most), there is a pretty decent distribution of payout times currently. In the top 20, we have 3 Eastern, 3 Central, and 3 in the Philippines. Outside of those, everyone in the top 20 does not compete for a payout. So basically how many more potential number ones during the day on my server? 6. Considering that those 6 already take either 2 or 3 each day, were talking about a difference of 300 crystals total.

• ZephimyrAC wrote: »
    there are so many moving parts to this game... why focus on payout times?

I would rather see updates that actually affected gameplay...

...besides... who knows what kind of problems would occur by changing these? they don't change in accordance with daylight savings, remember... and I also recall an event that did not payout correctly and the admins had to leave it as is because the cons outweighed the pros in correcting the mistake.

payout times are a non-issue. unless you suck, or you are a top 10 arena player, chances are you will not be changing brackets too rapidly within the course of a day... and you cannot go by "best rank of the day" because then you would be having a lot more ppl with rank 1 rewards.

Clearly many disagree with you on "payout times are a non-issue". Arena is one of the few non stale aspects of the game. Allowing people to maximize time spent on arena would be a good thing and beneficial to long term longevity of this game.

I can easily finish top 3 on my shard with a little work, but my payout time is also dinner time with my kids...so priorities. However, if I was allowed to push my payout out a few hours, rather then just run enough arena battles to get the dailies, I'd actually gun for the top spot on a daily basis. This would lead to more time spent on the game, caring more about arena which leads me to chasing the next meta, which inevitably would lead to potentially spending some cash.
  • UltimateZeus
    1221 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Hiya.. this thread is reconstituted as it was accidentally merged into the mega thread. Forgive us, mistakes happen because we are human. :/

(Well not me.. I do not make mistakes because Wookiee. :D )

Cheers.

67241985.jpg

hehe ;)

No Worries! Thanks for sorting it out!